[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This true?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: deaf.png (18 KB, 463x377) Image search: [Google]
deaf.png
18 KB, 463x377
This true?
>>
Kid's like to see themselves in comic characters? Yeah.
>>
>Hawkeye's just like you!
That is the cheesiest shit, and if someone told me that as a kid I'd probably be more pissed that someone just lumped me in and stereotyped me and also assumed I'd like a character just because of some superficial similarity. Like assuming someone has to like Daredevil or She-Hulk the best because they're interested in law. Stupid.
>>
Hawkeye's deafness?

It was true for awhile, got cured/retconned, and I think it's back in now, so depends on the era/issue.
>>
>>71215992
It's true that Hawkeye uses a hearing aid, it's not true that the story happened.
>>
>>71216106
What did your parents do to you?
>>
>>71216182
Told him to clean his room.
>>
>>71216182
Nice one, you sure showed me :^)
>>
>posting tumblr screenshots on /co/

I want to put you in a trash compactor
>>
>be blind
>people keep recommending me comics with blind characters
t-thanks
>>
>>71215992
>And I swear to god the whole family just stopped

at first I thought the parents were gonna get pissed and bitch them out
>>
>>71216182
Fucked a clown and told me to do the dishes.
>>
>>71216145
It was a point in Hawkeye vs. Deadpool so it's back
>>
Well yeah to a degree.
>>
>>71216106
My brother is a chemistry teacher and cannot stand the constant Breaking Bad references he gets from people.
>>
>>71216145
it is there in the lemire's hawkeye
>>
>>71215992
always interesting to me to have characters with three dimensional "human" limitations/ issues addiction, mental/physical disability, or monetary issues. it doesn't have to happen all the time and it doesn't have to be central to their character. Almost cooler when it's a minor part of their character.
>>
>>71216270
My fiance is blind and she actually really doesn't like Daredevil. She's sitting through the show with me, but she's really only doing it for me.
>>
>>71215992

Almost as true as the pope being catholic.
>>
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>71216387

Are you describing how cool the fight scenes are to her?
>>
>>71216387
why would you force a blind person to sit through shows.
>>
>>71216434
Not really. I generally fill her in on some cool shit but a lot of it ends up just being me going
>OH FUCK HE IMPALED HIMSELF ON A BAR OH SHIT
>>
>>71215992
>Kids know they're not alone
>And that the heroes like them are never the coolest ones, unless they're rich, or have anger issues.

Thanks, guy. Sure, I'll never be Batman, but hey! At least I've got this guy on my side.

Yay.
>>
>fat kid
>other kids call me majin buu
>tfw cant make them chocolate
>>
>>71216365
Chemist here. I can sympathize.

That said if I were a little deaf kid in love with the Avengers, I'd be stoked to find out that Hawkeye had hearing aids like me.

It's just one of those big differences between excitable little kids and adults.
>>
>>71215992

I stopped following Hawkguy (stupid I know but I developed a life and had to drop everything apart from Avengers pretty much). What's the story with Haweye now being deaf?
>>
>>71216279
>HOW DARE YOU COMPARE OUR SON TO THAT POWERLESS HACK! WHAT KIND OF POWER IS ARROWS!
>>
>>71216365
My friends studying chemisty in college and his name is Walter.
I try not to make the jokes but sometimes it's just too fucking easy.
>>
>>71216375
It's not interesting to me because it hardly ever feels like an actual part of their character and it's pretty much never written by someone with firsthand experience with such a disability. Consider how Daredevil may as well just be colorblind most of the time given his superpower. Or how Hawkeye just has magical Stark-made hearing aids that completely negate his deafness. Or how N52 Barbara Gordon had magical superscience surgery to make her all better after being paralyzed and can now do flips and shit again instead of showing an actual recovery process.

Personally, for me it's more cringeworthy along the lines of when you watch an episode of Law & Order episode about "hacking." If you can't make it believable and sincere, don't do it.
>>
>>71216387
A tv show? For a blind person? Why would you do that to her?
Its like sitting through random noise you can never get or feel entertained about.
>>
I remember when my dad told me Batman read alot of books, so one Christmas I asked for an encyclopedia.
>>
>>71216537
>>71216456
Blind people watch tv shows on their own sometimes, you guys.
Also do you guys not have friends? Sometimes people just spend time with each other even if one person isn't exactly interested in the activity. I have listened to A LOT of her sci-fi audio books.
>>
>>71216488
>now being deaf
He's been deaf for a long time, but writers didn't feel like incorporating it into the writing so they just kinda wrote it off and ignored it. Then Fraction's series dredged up that part of his character and it's been a more central part of his characterization again. Lemire's run just started (two issues in) and it's already part of the current storyline.
>>
>>71216478
>Not absorbing them
>>
>>71215992
well...yes
when theres a superhero who's similar to you and has one of your disadvantages you're more likely feel...proud i guess
this why they think diversity is important, that moment of happens when there is a character out there like you despite whatever you have being looked down upon
this is why my brother absolutely loves ms marvel...because she's a muslim
>>
>>71216465
To be fair, if you were to be Batman your parents would be shot.
>>
File: 1425741101888.png (531 KB, 525x785) Image search: [Google]
1425741101888.png
531 KB, 525x785
>>71216478
I remember when we were kids we'd play DBZ and make all the black kids namekians.
>>
File: 1375671177417.png (164 KB, 294x356) Image search: [Google]
1375671177417.png
164 KB, 294x356
>uncle dies
>"HEY LOOK SPIDERMAN'S UNCLE DIED TOO"

Fuck these people.
>>
>>71216518
>Or how N52 Barbara Gordon had magical superscience surgery to make her all better after being paralyzed and can now do flips and shit again instead of showing an actual recovery process.

im still annoyed about that and im more annoyed about the new writers setting up Frankie as Oracle
>>
>>71216365
Well maybe your brother shouldn't have killed all those people, did you ever think of that?
>>
>be an alien from a dead planet
>get compared to Superman all the time
>only power is ability to generate cheez whiz
>>
>>71215992
I grew up loving Spider-Man cause he was a poor dork, like me.
And cause we're both white.
>>
>>71216279

Which is probably what actually happened.

Or the whole thing was just made up and pulled out of that tumblrina's 400 pound ass, which is the most likely scenario.
>>
>>71216626

When did he go deaf? I feel like such a noob for having never known this. I thought it was a recent thing.
>>
File: starebun.gif (999 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
starebun.gif
999 KB, 245x245
>Pasty white twig with a high GPA and green as his favorite color
>Nobody guesses my favorite batman villain is actually Condiment King.
>>
File: cyclops.jpg (155 KB, 735x900) Image search: [Google]
cyclops.jpg
155 KB, 735x900
>>71216499
>>
>>71215992

For some things, not really. I grew up (female) reading and watching a lot of media with male protagonists, and I didn't care one way or the other. Somethings are universal regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, whatever.

But for a kid who probably already feels isolated and picked on for a disability like that? Yeah, knowing that there's someone out there who deals with the same experience you do can be really powerful. I know when I first fell hard into anxiety and depression problems in college, the one thing that helped me the most through it was finding out that my dad, who has always been my role model, has suffered from the same thing without me knowing about it..

tl;dr, it's not about collecting tokens, it's about representing a wide variety of experiences that people can share in.
>>
File: 1367610089069.jpg (55 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
1367610089069.jpg
55 KB, 848x480
>>71215992
oh boy, here we go
>>
>>71216891
>Be from an island of entirely women
>Get compared to Wonder Woman all the time
>I'm a short fat guy
>>
>>71216518
of course we do see way to much of it written poorly. That's a legitimate complaint . I feel like if it can be done right it's better to have a cast with some things like that. It doesn't always have to be a disability, could be some abuse or other factors. writers oftentimes make it the central focus so there's no room for real character left. Seeing it done by shit writers makes me not want them to try.
shit is so fucking tired.
>>
>>71216365
I was working as a chef while while studying psychology for a while, the Hannibal Lecter Jokes were pretty fantastic tbh.
>>
>>71216365

It's funny, I have a friend who's currently throwing together a Breaking Bad parody for a video portfolio to get NSTA certification for being a chemistry teacher.
>>
File: Untitled.png (468 KB, 479x687) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
468 KB, 479x687
>>71216613
WOW
>>
>>71216398

sedevacantists please leave
>>
>>71216613
That's cute
>>
>>71215992

Yeah, to an extent.

As a blackanon, there weren't many black superheroes out in the public eye. So I just kinda assumed we were just sidekicks or comic relief. My exposure to the shit was limited; the heroes were the ones full-front and center, the guys on the covers.

It can go a long way, however cheesy, to making some folks feel more comfortable with who they are. Granted, I'm fine as an adult, but looking back, the way I felt and thought as a kid was kind of fucked up
>>
File: ronnie03.jpg (63 KB, 286x268) Image search: [Google]
ronnie03.jpg
63 KB, 286x268
I drive a taxi, and during the day I get a lot of blind people. Obvious when you think about it. Picked up a regular named Tony yesterday, got to talking about tv and I mentioned I just finished Daredevil. He said he hadn't seen it yet but would be checking it out, because when the movie came out he got laid way more because of it. Hoping for a repeat performance.

Here's to you Tony. Hit it.
>>
>be mathematician
>never be compared to Professor Moriarty
>always get le beautiful mind meme XD

I'm so alone.
>>
See, this shit happens but are there any superheroes with glasses? Like, reliant on them so they can't just throw them off when it comes time to suit up.
>>
>>71217493

Cyclops, dumbass.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.