[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's be honest, Spider-man would be better as a tv series.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9
File: BgoBlcwCMAApHXP.jpg large.jpg (59 KB, 500x733) Image search: [Google]
BgoBlcwCMAApHXP.jpg large.jpg
59 KB, 500x733
Let's be honest, Spider-man would be better as a tv series. Spiderr-man should be a bigger budget Arrow/Flash

>teen and then early adulthood drama
>relationshit drama
>will they won't they between he and MJ
>Dat season 2 death of Gwen Stacy
>dat season 3 Venom mid season arc
>dat season 3 Sinister Six finale
>dat season 4 six arms saga
>dat season 4 marriage to MJ
>dat Spider-Gwen in season 5
>dat relationshit drama with alternate verse Spide-Gwen and MJ
>>
>>71129324
There is literally no ongoing comic that would be better as a movie so long as the series has a reasonable budget. Why is this even so heavily discussed? Its fucking obvious

>Comics are episodic
>A series is episodic

No fucking shit Spider-Man would work better as an ongoing series. NOBODY is going to be opposed to multiple thirteen hour seasons compared to one two hour or less movie every three years. And its possible now because effects are easier every day. Thats it, what else is there to say on the topic?
>>
>>71129571
It was less of an "argument in /co/" topic and more of a "If Sony and Marvel were really smart" topic
>>
>>71129324
>Venom first then MJ marriage later
>Taking out half of the reason why Spidey's adamant on hunting down Venom
>>
>>71129324
Spider-Gwen is stupid and I hate you.
>>
>>71130555
Gotta introduce Venom early, and can't have Spidey in a committed relationship too early in the series. Gotta milk that "will they won't they" for as long as possible.
>>
>>71130769
Well yes, but it would be great DRAMA.You know it would.

>Spidey has feelings for other-Gwen. Will he choose he or his wife.
>>
I have been saying this for fucking ever op
>>
>>71130769
Spider-Gwen is the least intresting thing in her whole comic, which is sad because that costume is fucking ace, also, Blond Spiders > all the other ones
>>
>>71129324
nope.
the current tv formats populart today are:
dark and gritty crime shows
le quirky mc procedural show
muh left wing diversity comedy show
or
a period piece show (with le quirky characters)

Spider-Man's story arc doesn't fit what people want to watch in this day and age.
>>
>>71130790
MJ/Pete will they/won't they?
Isn't that like trying to milk Clark Kent/Louis Lane will they/won't they>

Hell, they're only apart now because editorial demanded it and they only way they could make it work was with a literal deal with a devil

I mean, I suppose Spectacular was trying to throw in a Gwen curve-ball, but as soon as MJ entered, it seemed set in stone who Pete's destiny in the show was.
>>
>>71129324
>girlfriend dies in s2
>gets married in s4

I hope there's a huge fucking timeskip in your vision or Spidey's a massive douchebag.
>>
>>71130935

Fuck no, it wouldn't.

I hate that bullshit. Specially if he's already married by then.

Besides, she's not his Gwen. She'll never be his Gwen.
>>
>>71131543

How many years do you think it was in the comics? At very best, 5.
>>
I think you'd run into some bad budget hell, the way things are. Especially with how much of a transition period TV is in with regards to business model.
>>
>>71131520

Eh, it was too early to tell. Specially with the intresting development they had with Liz.

But it sure as fuck wasn't going to be Gwen. With her make over she got worse as a character, and then the whole bullshit at the end of the season.

She deserves that bridge.
>>
>>71131543

Dude, Gwen was not the girlfriend. He specified the UST was between MJ and Peter.
>>
>>71131610
I figured Weisman was just good at keeping people guessing

I mean, I KNOW that Norman is the original Goblin, but he still had me suspecting Harry
I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice the Chameleon thing
>>
>>71129696

I hate to sound like a teen girl, but I really fucking loved this comic. At least with Miyazawa's art, and the earlier storylines.
>>
>>71129571

You could argue about the Avengers working better as a movie than as a series.

Look at it this way: the Avengers combined would be more than able to defeat any hero's enemy. If you establish them as an active, ongoing team, you start getting into "Wait, why didn't Iron Man help Cap against Baron Zemo?" And there's only so many times you can pull the "Well he did his own stuff." No, he didn't. Non-street heroes spend most of their time NOT fighting threats. If the Avengers are constantly together, what are they doing when Hydra's not fucking shit up? Playing poker in the Mansion/Tower 24/7?

But if you treat them teaming-up as a rare event, just for world-destroyer threats, then you avoid that issue, and make the very idea of Avengers, and whoever they're fighting, instantly more epic ("Holy shit, this guy must be really dangerous if it takes ALL OF THE AVENGERS to stop him"). Treat the Avengers as a crisis-srossover in themselves.

This approach would necessitate series for the individual heroes, though, sort of like what they're doing with Netflix (four series for the heroes solo, and then one big team-up, only here the team-up would be a movie).
>>
>>71131674
Let's not kid ourselves, it was great.
>>
>>71129324

I disagree completely. For one, big budget movies allow for visuals you normally won't find on TV.

In specific, CGI.

After watching Daredevil on Netflix, it's clear that they barely used any CGI. The answer is budget and how much money they didn't have at their disposal. How would that work with a character that literally swings through the streets of Manhattan and scales buildings like a spider?

With 2 hours of content, you really allow a crew to put all of their effort in the movements, and I think that's a huge part in identifying the character.

Also, to be clear I think the Flash has some great CGI. It just won't ever compete with the quality you see coming from a blockbuster.
>>
>>71131674
Where have you been?
/co/ loves Bitches Love Spider-man
Or, the people who read the storytimes do.
>>
>>71131636
That completely changes the story then.

If Gwen's just a friend, it takes away most of the pathos. After all, Peter didn't react nearly as badly when Captain Stacy died. Her being his girlfriend is a huge part of the story. If you're taking that away, why kill her in the first place? Just to show Peter can't save people close to him? He learned that with Uncle Ben. Gwen dying was a different thing for him.
>>
>>71131768

Beyond fucking great. And now this thread is making wish it was a TV series. Occasionally weird Spider shit in the background of a prom queen and goober's love story.
>>
>>71131674

It really was great, save for that detour it did to the past with goth/punk Gwen under a different artist.

What I like is that they managed to give it somewhat of an ending for Pete and MJ before Season 2 came to fuck everything in the ass.
>>
>>71131775
Who the fuck cares about CGI if you can't tell a good story or can't translate a comic book story properly? A tv series would be the best format for a comic book character like Spidey, who deals with a lot of soap opera and general real life drama stuff in his comics.
>>
>>71131868

Shit, meant Emo MJ there. Man, those issues where ass.
>>
>>71131903

I care about CGI. You have cartoons if you want Spidey soap opera.

Like I said, you literally have a character that climbs walls like a Spider. You seem to think that this would be easy to pull off. They couldn't even get Daredevil to do something other than even the most basic of gymnastics on the Netflix series.
>>
>>71131868
>>71131911

Agree on both counts. While I can let the emo story slide, how the FUCK could Moore fuck the established characters and situations any harder than that?
>>
>>71130790
Why do you have to introduce Venom early?
>>
>>71129324
I mean it's been mentioned already but the Spectacular Spider-Man TV series was basically this until it got cancelled. It had different sorts of plot threads but it was doing them all (basically) right.

I honestly believe that Spectacular is one of the best iterations of Spider-Man that's been produced.
>>
>>71131768
Didn't Peter and MJ get together at the end?
>>
>>71131984
Additionally, most of his infamous rogues would be heavy on special effects. Someone like Shocker would be okay, but guys like Lizard, Venom, Doc Oc... it would require significant time and money to make them look halfway decent. Perhaps more then a producer would be willing to push.

An animated take might work, but then the question becomes whether or not you'll get enough people to watch it without automatically assuming that it's "kiddy". This *might* change if Vixen ends up being successful.
>>
>>71132276

Yea, I don't think people quite understand how this works. Daredevil might work setting it in reality. His rogues are a bit different than Spidey's.

Doc Oc...Venom...Gobby?

Some people here are very naive. They don't understand the time and money that goes into these things.
>>
>>71132204

It was. I honestly can't think of anything that comes close. Not even the OG.
>>
>>71132276

It wont.
>>
The budget is such an issue for Spidey, that the best you could get in live action would be a Smallville like take on the character.
>>
>>71129324
yeah, dude, by the very nature of comic books, all comic adaptations would be better as shows not movies. they're not all going to get one though, so get over it.
>>
File: 1414543621000.jpg (8 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1414543621000.jpg
8 KB, 300x300
>>71129324
>Let's be honest, Spider-man would be better as a tv series. Spiderr-man should be a bigger budget Arrow/Flash
Probably would be better as an animated show like that DC Vixen show coming out.

The cgi cost for his swinging and then all of his rogues costumes, gadgets, etc. It'd definitely look weird live-action, especially if it's a TV series.

>Dat season 2 death of Gwen Stacy
>dat season 3 Venom mid season arc
I'd compact them both. Like early when Peter gets his symbiotic suit, it slowly corrupts him as usual and that leads to the death of Gwen.

Like the scene would play out where it's that Green Goblin bridge part in the comics, right after Gwen dies. Peter (in his Symbiote suit) goes berserk or something and almost kills Norman. He chooses not to and basically realizes what the Symbiote has done to him (lead to the death of Gwen and almost forced him to kill.)

That's what leads him to get rid of the suit and Venom comes in later in the arc (He would serve as a constant reminder of his failures, etc) idk, I feel like this would work and would make Spidey realizes what a huge threat this is and takes it more seriously than his other villains.

I honestly wouldn't mind a SpOck arc. Fuck you it could be great if you have a good writer.
>>
Bring back Spectacular Spider-Man
>>
>>71129324
I don't think there's any way to do web crawling and web slinging believably while on a budget.
>>
>>71129324
for story, yea I can't argue.
But after the first season I'm guessing, when Spidey isn't just doing shit in wrestling rings and fighting thugs and whatever big villain they have at the end of the first season. I think it would have real budget problems when it comes to effects. Testing the waters with a mature-ish cartoon could be the best of both worlds, if you could get people into it.
>>
>>71134941
>it slowly corrupts him as usual
How about, for once, we do something original? Hear me out hear. Take liberties with the story and pave your own path!

No Gwen death!
No corrupting assholeifying symbiote (like the original)! He parts with it because it's draining him, but they leave on good terms. Venom ends up becoming a mentally unstable ally because the symbiote attached to a mentally unsound, jealous Brock.
Maybe, just maybe, another LI other than MJ! Liz Allen, Andi Betton, Sophia Sanduval, hell, even Kitty Pryde or Betty Brant.

Just do something different for once.
>>
>>71136301

No.
>>
>>71131810
Gwen becomes the first death that Spidey was directly responsible for after Ben, which gives him an arc where he sees himself as still a failure who can't save people he actually knows, but this time it's visceral since he's so close to this death. I mean, he actually holds her body and is the first to realize she's dead. First time you touch a dead body, you never forget it.

So it basically marks Peter growing from older teens kid to an actual adult.

Peter marrying Mary-Jane signifies when he first starts getting his shit together; he may not have a better job, but he's really buckled down and when life smacks him in the face with a brick he grits his teeth despite crying and gets into the fight. He gets completely broken a few times after that as life's bullshit mounts on him, in what can be seen as basically dealing with suicidal thoughts, but that characterization continues until One More Day fucked everything up and Peter stopped getting longterm development.
>>
>>71136301
>How about, for once, we do something original? Hear me out hear. Take liberties with the story and pave your own path!

Not for a TV show anon. Status quo.

>Venom as an ally
Yeah. Why not introduce Flash Venom as an ally after Brock then.

That or Brock switches between good/bad throughout the series. Venom as a good guy can be good. See Spider-man 1 for the PS1.
>>
>>71129571
Spidey is especially better-suited for TV due to his massive supporting cast.

Movies have to focus much more on the central Spidey vs. villain plots, and lose a lot of that.
>>
>>71136301
But that actually fucking happened.
Eddie Brock moved to San Francisco after Peter helped save his ex-wife and they sort of made a truce. He discovered an underground city of homeless people and vowed to be their "LETHAL PROTECTOR!!!" and defended them from various threats, with the help of Spiderman a few times.

But then interest died, so they made him hit a wall in character development and go insane when the symbiote tried to take him over and he literally ate a guy's brain causing him to be institutionalized.

Then they kinda yanked him from one thing to the other; LICENSE TO KILL!!! had him asa an agent of the government in the most Liefeldian thing you can imagine, they tried to make him a cosmic version of Jason Voorhees alongside Wolverine, and they kept bringing him back for a three way fight with Carnage.

Realizing they'd completely lost any idea of what made Venom popular while trying to cash in and having drug him through every surface until he was a permanently stained mess, they killed off Eddie with cancer and have been jumping the symbiote idea around ever since hoping something would stick (although when it finally did, in Anti-venom, Marvel kept killing the idea for some reason).

Also, Spidey never really had an ongoing relationship with any X-characters other than Wolverine and Gambit, who would pop in for a team-up from time to time.
>>
>>71129324

Considering the roller coaster that is the Spider-Man movie history I think you're right.
>>
>>71129324
you forget the "last" and second to last season when ratings are the lowest,

>Gauntlet
>Spock
>the reason the fans come back
>oh wait this show has a ton of interesting characters
>holy shit maybe Villains are people too
>Wow maybe his relate-ability and attitude as a comic relief isn't so bad after all

TLDR: the comics in Tv form
>>
>>71130790
Fuck that, go for relatability with an unmarried longterm relationship.
>>
>>71131674
>>71129696
the comic is GOAT up until Miyazawa left
>>
Spidey is basically soap opera, so of course it'd work better as a show. But the budget woud kil it.
>>
>>71136430
>That or Brock switches between good/bad throughout the series
Exactly! He's unstable, but the symbiote is the stabilizing element. Brock's got a buttload of problems, but since the symbiote was roommates with Spidey it can help him out, but sometimes he hulks out and affects the symbiote, too. In the end, his influence over it is the danger, and the power it grants him is worse, so he passes it to someone who needs healing, Flash., after he was grievously injured trying to save Peter after they rekindle they're long forgotten friendship.

>>71136481
Of course it did. But nowadays the symbiote is remembered for being a maleficent influence and Venom for being Spidey's darkside. This, while going back to basics, would be a nice change.

Also, Ult. Peter dated Shadowcat, it was nice. Bendis did good, to me. If not, more cute shenanigans with Chat the animal-whisperer.
>>
>>71136481

Seriously, marvel had domething magical in anti venom and agent venom.

But we can't have nice things.
>>
File: Ultimate-SpiderMan-PC.jpg (200 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate-SpiderMan-PC.jpg
200 KB, 1280x1024
>>71136556
>But nowadays the symbiote is remembered for being a maleficent influence and Venom for being Spidey's darkside.
Pretty sure people who read comics remember him as the swole hobo nutcase with the huge fucking teeth who tried to brutally murder Peter a lot, and people who saw the movie remember something vague about Peter's parents and Red Foreman's son that dated Donna in That 70's Show.

Third audiance is the video-game crowd, who remember Ultimate Spiderman and Web of Shadows where Venom's symbiote is a corruption-spreading super fucking awesome to play as alternate form.
>>
>>71136614
THE VENOM MARATHONS CONTINUES
>>
>>71130790

What are you? A CW executive?
>>
>>71129324
That was my first though when Smallvilke was popular: how is a Spider-Man TV show with relationship drama not a thing? (I'm under the impression relationship drama was important in Smallville?)

Spectacular supported my theory.
>>
>>71136691
>I'm under the impression relationship drama was important in Smallville?
Sorta.
More friend drama. CW afterall, can't have anything too interesting.
>>
File: spider-man-1967.jpg (42 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
spider-man-1967.jpg
42 KB, 720x540
>>71132276
>>71134941
What a novel idea, a Spider-Man animated series!
Why didn't they think of that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_%281967_TV_series%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_%281981_TV_series%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_and_His_Amazing_Friends
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(1994_TV_series)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_Unlimited
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_The_New_Animated_Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spectacular_Spider-Man_%28TV_series%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Spider-Man_%28TV_series%29
>>
File: 1418433801290.jpg (77 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1418433801290.jpg
77 KB, 500x750
>>71136813
I know this is b8 but a live-action series would be so impractical anon.
>>
>>71130790
Na, Smallville split the Clark/Lana and Clark/Lois shipping 50/50.
Spidey could do the same with Gwen and MJ
>>
>>71136885
>I know this is b8
What the fuck about this is bait? Are you retarded?

>a live-action series would be so impractical anon.
Alright, but let's not pretend you're resolving anything by making it animated. You're just making an animated series, not a live action show. You're not dealing with the issue, you're just giving up and keeping doing what has been done over half a dozen times before.
An animated Spider-Man show would be fine (and some have been), but that's not the topic at hand here.

Also it being impractical in no way makes it impossible.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 443x332
>>71136944
And Ursula Dutkovich she's cute as FUCK.
>>
>>71129324
>everything would be better as a HBO miniseries
You're /tv/, /co/.

No one REALLY likes film. They don't understand the medium at all.
>>
>>71137047
Sounded more like Smallville than an HBO series.
>people spend loads of money on movies but they don't like it, they just doing it because reasons
>no one but me understands film
>>
File: 12.jpg (61 KB, 601x401) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
61 KB, 601x401
>>71136995
>What the fuck about this is bait? Are you retarded?
Don't post 60s Spidey then. :^(

>You're just making an animated series, not a live action show. You're not dealing with the issue, you're just giving up and keeping doing what has been done over half a dozen times before. An animated Spider-Man show would be fine (and some have been), but that's not the topic at hand here.
Well this is just a bunch of fantasizing here. Yes, some of those shows have been straight up amazing but a lot of those series got canned and often got left off unfinished and unsatisfied. I'm pretty sure people just want a full complete/on-going Spidey series that isn't complete garbage like Ultimate.

I know Spectacular got cancelled early. Didn't 1994 and Unlimited get cut early too?

>Also it being impractical in no way makes it impossible.
Of course it isn't impossible. It would just look so odd, like Spider-man swinging in New York and how you'd have to manage the cgi budget for that. Or Venom and using cgi to make him look like a hulking brute and not like Venom in SM3.

It would just save more money animating the fight scenes rather than filming it live-action. You would just accomplish more. Then again, Arrow kinda did these things so idk.
>>
>>71137169
Well I guess they get "cut early" because really they'd just keep them going forever otherwise. Like, you know, the source material.

>It would just save more money animating the fight scenes rather than filming it live-action.
It would also *make* a lot less money.
If DC was able to succesfully sell Superman (2 times in the last 20 years), Green Arrow and Flash to people who don't watch cartoons, you better believe there's a ton of money to be made Spidey, who, it needs to be said, is *widely* more popular than any of those guys.

They'd probably cut corners one way or another (probably by having little actual action scenes and replacing them with character interactions, like in Smallville) but they should be able to get a sizeable budget. It would certainly not be a straight-up adaptation of most storylines. It would also certainly not be "Muh Spider-Man", but that doesn't really matter.

So I guess what suits comic fans like you or I is a cartoon adaptation, but that's really not the target audience for a live action show.

And, well, we could have both.
>>
Let Japan make Heisei Supaidaaman.
>>
>>71129324
Spiderman has had several TV series. They were awesome.
>>
>>71129324
Spider gwen would feel forced. It's like that stupid brady cousin. Its only tumblr bait at this point. Fuck man leave pete alone
>>
A Clone Saga season and a 'Scarlet Spider - Lost Years' spin-off with Ben and Kaine would be awesome.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.