[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about the Anti-Death Equation, shall we? Mostly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Hzc1PdP.jpg (495 KB, 630x957) Image search: [Google]
Hzc1PdP.jpg
495 KB, 630x957
Let's talk about the Anti-Death Equation, shall we? Mostly stream of thought, so bear with me. Maybe Hypercrisis-y?

One of my favorite theories about the Anti-Life equation is that it's implied that it proves to those it infects that they're fictional. That nothing they do actually has any effect on the world, because they don't really exist.

The matching theory about the life equation is proof that, even though a character is fictional, they DO matter to the people reading about them, and thus the things they retain their free will. This is supported by the emotional spectrum: anger, greed, fear, willpower, hope, compassion, and love.

If we go with the interpretation that the emotional well that the spectrum draws from is our investment that we, in the audience, have in the stories of comics, this makes sense. We care about the characters. We feel anger when they do something stupid, hope that they'll succeed, etc. etc. Life is our investment in their continued existence.

So what's Anti-Death?

Well, let's think of this like a chart.
>>
File: equations.png (23 KB, 806x798) Image search: [Google]
equations.png
23 KB, 806x798
If anti-life is that you're fictional but don't matter because you're fictional, and life is that you're fictional but do matter because you affect the real world, then I've got a theory on anti-death.

It's the embodiment of popularity as a comic book character.

The concept of death not mattering in comic books given form. You all know how it goes-- a popular character dies, and everybody rolls their eyes because we know "There's no way that Batman is gonna stay dead" or whatever. That's the anti-death equation, the life equation turned on its head. You're fictional, but you matter because you affect the real world, and thus, you lack the agency to stay dead.

In the same vein, the hypothetical "death equation" would be that you die, but you stay dead because you lack the popularity that keeps other characters from actually dying.

Sorry if it's kind of incoherent, just wanted to get this down somewhere. Thoughts?
>>
The problem is that your hypothesis then brings up not just the possibility, but rather the requirement of a "Death" equation.
>>
>>81419237
Well the death equation would be,you're a fictional character that effects the world, but you don't matter, so we'll kill you for shock/fun/humor etc"
Basically the Death equation sends you to limbo and the anti-death equation makes your existence outside of limbo as terrible as it is to be in limbo
not OP just spitballing some ideas in his vein
>>
>>81419393
No basically Morrison introduced that at the end of Animal Man?
>>
>>81419393
my thoughts exactly-- though, I'd say limbo is something separate entirely. Limbo is when you're so irrelevant you don't even get to die, you just stop being a character altogether.
>>
>>81419100

I see your way of thinking, but I just don't like the fourth wall breaking aspect of the whole thing. If you follow that line of thinking, it just renders everything moot in the end. Why have fiction if it constantly reminds us it's fiction? I guess it is anti-life in a way.
>>
>>81419605
This is Morrison we're talking about. If it wasn't meta, I'd be worried about his health.
>>
>>81419605
>I just don't like the fourth wall breaking aspect of the whole thing
Seriously nigger? This is a thread about Morrison comics.
>>
>>81419670
>>81419766

Yeah I know, I guess I'm saying I'm already... bored... with Morrison's meta all the time. If you gotta be meta, do it sparingly to make it special.
>>
>>81419524

I'd say that still counts. Think like the Greek myth concept of Commemorative Immortality where you'd "live forever" for as long as people remembered you, even after death.

That'd be total and full death, completely removed from the existence and memory of the universe.
>>
>>81419905
Morrison literally doesn't believe in the 4th wall though. To him he is not being meta he is actually having beings from another direction interact with us.
>>
bamp
>>
>>81419117
Sounds about right, it's sort of leaving out the all important matter of Free will, which is an important aspect of the Life and Anti-Life Equation.
>>
>>81419100
remember that episode of Fop with Crimson chin?
>>
>>81420010
the maya had a similar cocept, that cool day of the dead film used it
>>
>>81419905
all fiction is metafiction
>>
>>81420010
Like how old gods exist only as long as they are worshipped?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.