[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do you draw the line between laughing at a character's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
Where do you draw the line between laughing at a character's misfortune and feeling sorry for them?
>>
>Projecting this hard
You won't get any pity from me.
>>
whenever it stops being funny/relatable/deserved and just starts feeling like the show's shitting on the character just to shit on them

like, to the point you get the sense that even the writers fucking hate them
>>
>>70653101
Shut up, MrEnter.
>>
>>70653101
Puddin was a Butters ripoff.
>>
When the character is defenseless.

But then again,
>feeling sorry for a fictional character
>>
>>70653101
The point of a woobie is to be able to laugh at them AND pity them.
That's what schadenfreude is.
>>
>>70653232
>feeling anything for a fictional character
>watching cartoons
>reading comics
>>
>>70653232
>what is immersion
>>
>>70653447
>tvtropes

get cancer.
>>
>>70653232
>Feeling sorry for a fictional character

>Enjoying fictional stories
>Liking fictional characters
>Feeling
>Enjoying fictional things

Man, what losers. How can anyone enjoy anything that isn't non-fiction?

You're a retard
>>
>>70653515
I don't know. What IS immersion?
>>
>>70653524
>tv tropes invented schadenfreude

You first.
>>
>>70653535
no u
>>
>>70653563
>things that aren't tv tropes invented the term woobie
You first.
>>
>>70653101
When your emotions keep you from enjoying, there is no comedy without pain or without being offensive somehow
>>
>>70653232
What do you feel when you read then, Cylon? Nothing?
>>
>>70653101
I don't. Children are hideous abominations who deserve every bit of suffering that falls upon them.
>>
>>70653662
ADULT
>>
>>70653535
There's more to fiction and immersion than your feelings and knee-jerk emotions. Do us all a favor and fill your vagina with cement.
>>
>>70653662
watch it

you'll cut yourself on that edge
>>
>>70653700
>edge
Watch it, you'll cut yourself on that dank buzzword.
>>
I feel sorry for everyone in this thread
>>
>>70653232
Great, you just triggered, like, four people.
>>
>>70653613
What?
>>
When I feel like they don't deserve it or whatever happens to them isn't funny.
>>
>>70653848
>The point of a woobie is
That means a person who you feel sad for. A term invented by TV Tropes.
>>
>>70653899
I wasn't that anon.
>>
>>70654025
We never said you were. Stop projecting. Also, get cancer and fuck off back to tvtropes
>>
>>70653547
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_(virtual_reality)
See narrative Immersion

Basically it means you can sympathize with a fictional personal character as if you there because you're seeing or imagining an event taking place.
>>
>>70653778
It has a note of /v/ if ask me
>>
>>70653662
just wanna slice em all with your katana huh
>>
>That one scene in Rick and Morty where Morty almost got raped

I guess it's just because it felt too serious. And Rick wasn't involved. And you can see how shaken up Morty is afterwards.
>>
>>70655925
I love that episode but just knowing that scene is in there makes it hard to rewatch.
>>
>>70653101
I like to go back and forth between them. What scene is this, anyone got a yt link?
>>
>>70656527
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmZAzVS8Nw4
>>
part of the reason i can't watch family guy is because of how they treat meg.
i don't even like meg that much, but jesus christ man.
>>
Depends on how outlandish it is.

Like, Billy getting kidnapped by his dad dressed as a gorilla when he just wanted egg salad. That was probably scary for him, but fuck, I don't even like egg salad. I can't sympathize.

But that episode of Hey Arnold with Iggy and the Footy Pajamas, that's some messed up shit because it's more real. That's the kind of thing that could happen to you or someone you know.
>>
>>70653101
So what is OP's pick?
>>
>>70657029
That's what made the prison episode so great. Just stop watching when Brian starts to Have A Talk with Meg.
>>
>>70653101
When it becomes a running joke and happens every episode.
>>
>>70653662
/r/childfree is still reddit, you know.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.