[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cal Arts/Art School Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 6
anyone interested in some art school chat? anyone applying/attending/grad? any feelings you'd like to express about any art students/grads?
>>
>>68375310
Google image search the school name to see some alumni genitals.
>>
File: 1409798870425.jpg (32 KB, 635x473) Image search: [Google]
1409798870425.jpg
32 KB, 635x473
>tfw ill never get in
>>
>>68375318
you dont know that for sure anon. post some work? cal arts seems to accept people of a wide variety of skill levels, as long as your portfolio consists of the stuff they want to see and shows expressiveness
>>
Seriously though, which demon to I have to sign a blood pact with to get into CalFarts.

Currently doing animation at Sheridan and I'm just about dying from boredom.
>>
>>68375429
Sheridan Art Fundie here. Boy i fucked up. Wasted money on this shit and am now taking workshops to actually produce what i need for acceptance into Animation. What Disappointment is in store for me?
>>
File: 1419574490989.jpg (41 KB, 448x595) Image search: [Google]
1419574490989.jpg
41 KB, 448x595
>art school
>>
>getting into art school

I heard it's hell
>>
I think the trick to getting in is to self-study yourself to the point where you're capable of producing worthwhile animation on your own. You go to CalArts to make connections, not to learn how to animation.
>>
Currently going to a west coast art school, majoring in theater.

I'm sure fucking glad I go out of the south and I absolutely love it at school compared to my options back home, but damn sometimes this shit gets really fucking out there. My voice class is all about experiential learning and it's great, but dammit if I don't just want to learn some fucking shit about the larynx somedays.
>>
>>68375519
Also, there's exactly one voice over class. Just one, and it's seniors only. Goddammit, just let me make cartoons already.
>>
>>68375469
First year is basically Arts Fundamentals on steroids, where instead of treating you like a total newbie, they treat you like you know all this shit already, so they just get right to everything. It gets better later on, but it's fucking agonizing trudging through this monotonous bullshit. Also, Sheridan is quickly going downhill as an animation school, so you might want to look into alternatives.

I think I would have been better off with Seneca's animation program, the faster I get into the field, the faster I'll get better gigs.

Just do your own animation shit on the side, a few months of that will do more than school will in an entire year.
>>
>>68375609
That lines up with everything ive been told. Im more and more being inclined to look into senaca, but i'm a little dug too deep to blow off Sheridan now. I'm prepared to half kill myself in 2nd/3rd year just to say i have.
Also, fuck Nancy. Portfolio Reviews were bullshit.
>>
>>68375609
first year sheridan animation too! :3 bored? we had 9 classes last semester and 11 next semester. i don't have time to sleep. how are you bored.

i'd love to go to cal arts but it's way expensive. i feel like if i applied i'd get in though
>>
>>68375844
Oh sure, there's a decent workload, but not a lot to keep my interest. My part time factory job is more engaging than most of these assignments. If nothing else, making sure my teachers like me is half the coursework.

Grease those palms, make those connections, and call in favors. That's what I'm actually paying $10,000 a year for.
>>
>>68375881
i dont know what you're talking about. making teachers like you is as easy as handing shit in on time and going to class. there's not much more to it. it's definitely not have the coursework. the coursework is the coursework.
>>
So basically if you're an anti-social animator you're fucked?
>>
Turning in my application soon.

Will most likely an hero if I don't get in.
>>
>>68375934
post blog drawfriend
>>
As someone who can't draw for shit and is majoring in engineering

You animation bros are the real heros. Please keep the faith alive!

-from, a jealous pleeb
>>
>>68375907
I mean liking me as in they always point to my stuff as examples, or asking me for help on their own projects, or straight up telling me I'm their favourite student because I'm really nice, but not a total tool.

A teacher acknowledging you exist doesn't mean they like you.
>>
>>68375532
sounds like lmu?
>>
>>68375972
i'm starting to think you're not even a student at sheridan. that's not how it works
>>
Walt Disney founded Cal Arts with good intentions.

Now it's a clothing-optional lefto wasteland.
>>
I might sound like a huge pleb, but how's the Art Institute?
>>
>>68376007
Alright, explain to me how it works
>>
>>68376052
being nice doesnt get your work shown. being good does
>>
>>68376007
too be fair, what he's describing isn't too far off from what i saw in fundies before i plain stopped showing up. The teachers don't give half a shit about you unless you suck their 60+ old dicks.
>>
Is it possible for me to get a job? People say my work is good but I hate being around humans.
>>
>>68375310
Calarts needs to be demolished so we can be free of the tumblr noodle people menace.
>>
>>68376052
if you're actually a student name who your favourite first year teacher is and why
>>
Bumping for broken dreams
>>
How does one go to art school, if art school wants you to be good at art first?
>>
>>68375920
If you're an anti-social anything, you're fucked. We should form an Introvert's Society where we all pool our resources and live on an island somewhere.

We'll have a phone line where you can apply, and if you are the first to call, you are automatically disqualified for life.

You can send in a picture: if you are smiling, you are automatically disqualified for life.

Can you provide references? That's nice. Automatically disqualified for life.
>>
>>68376393
B-but I don't know how to be casual about my fetish art.
>>
Community colleges and filthy pleblic universities should not go unconsidered, folks. You all would be pretty surprised at where great programs are hiding.
>>
Would there happen to be a school known for/specializing in voice-overs, or is that craft too much of a theatre spin-off to warrant it's own major?
>>
>>68376528
Only voice-overs?
I'd just take acting classes.
>>
> enjoy people dissing art schools because even though they seem like where I belong I'm way too poor to take on that debt.
>>
>>68376528
many studios employ their artists to do voice acting

either that or become an actor-actor and develop a very distinct voice. like archer or the littler girl from bob's burgers
>>
>>68375310
My younger sister's applying for CSSSA (the summer arts program that's held there), and is planning on applying for CalArts next year. She's damn talented, but it's also incredibly competitive... I'd like to think she has a good chance, though.
>>
>>68376595
>CSSSA
nice nice

does she have a blog? would love to see her work
>>
>>68376609
I believe she does, but I don't know the name of it.
>>
>>68376633
looking at the csssa tag on tumblr. so fucking good man. and from high school students no less
>>
SVA Cartooning major here. Having a hard time of it keeping up with work, but that's my fault for being a lazy fuck.

>>68376299
A big part of it is about potential. Do you look like you can improve and like this is something that you really care about and will dedicate yourself to? That's important.
>>
>>68375310
only go to calarts if you want to make boring derivative trash that looks exactly the same as anything made by everyone else who went to calarts.
>>
>>68376724

cool got a blog? or can you direct me to some cool sva cartooning major blogs? very unfamiliar with sva and that program offered there

>>68376734

that's just not true. not to mention character design is but one facet of the industry. there's so much more to cal arts and animation than character designs. those are just what you see most often
>>
i want to try to get into calarts, mostly as a test to myself. i have two years left of college, so i plan on applying 2016 (i don't think i will get in this time) and 2017 (hopefully i would get in this time.)

i'm too self-conscious to post my work, but i don't think it's up to par. a handful of pros and calarts students follow my art blog so i figure i'm not awful or else they wouldn't repost my art.... r-right?!
>>
>>68376769
post blog? :o
>>
If you want to make cartoon, aim for the gobelins in France. Even if you count the price of living those years in Paris will cost you less than the cost of calarts because the school itself isn't stealing your money.
>>
>>68376757
this is for animation, but you might be interested anyways http://svaanimation.tumblr.com/ ...
>>
Not to sound disheartening, but is it more practical to study how to animate in 3d than 2d nowadays?

I mean there's still television shows and internet shorts if your into that sort of thing, but for movies..
>>
>>68376082
not that guy, but if your favourite first year teacher isn't maury then you don't belong in the program
>>
>>68376780
>http://svaanimation.tumblr.com/
was more curious about cartooning to be honest
>>
>>68376795
hi raymond
>>
If you want to learn how to draw like a motherfucking god, find a school that prides itself as much in traditional technical illustration as it does your specific major (i.e. animation) and take some of those classes. The problem with animators today is that, frankly, the majority of them can't draw outside of their style or comfort zone and they become one dimensional with ho-hum portfolios. Technical illustration will impress that missing element upon you. Take a few of their perspective classes as electives and you'll basically tower over your less well-rounded peers.

>>68376783
No. If you can only do 3D, why would they hire you versus some cheap off-site korean that can do the same (and probably better)?
>>
>>68376783
>to animate in 3d than 2d nowadays
there's no such thing as 3D only animation. You need to learn the basics in 2D first. Are you a child? It's fucking obvious.
>>
>>68376811
idk who you are but i'm going to bed bye
>>
>>68376825
did i guess right?
>>
>>68375512
>>68375512
>I think the trick to getting in is to self-study yourself to the point where you're capable of producing worthwhile animation on your own. You go to CalArts to make connections, not to learn how to animation.

Pretty much this. I know several long-term successful artists in various fields and not one of them attributes their career to college education. Most of them were out performing their instructors well before high school.

It's ok to admit you're a shitty artist, there's nothing wrong with that. You can either make up for the lack of natural talent with a shit ton of practice or orient yourself with the art industry by means of a related field of study (business, etc.) if you absolutely have to be involved in art.

I can tell you that if you don't live and breath art you won't make it in the long run. Every illustrator I know is constantly working on something, even when they don't have work for a client they almost always have a personal piece ready to be worked on at their desk.

Being an artist is one of the easiest fucking jobs on the planet, but it's definitely not a field you stay in long if it's something you "kind of want to do because it seems interesting and you might like it."
>>
>>68376775
i would but i am far too embarrassed. it's really nothing to write home about, i promise! i don't even have 200 followers.
>>
>>68376841
dude if pros are reblogging your shit there's bound to be a reason i wanna see
>>
>>68376841
Followers don't always mean a whole lot. If you have good people sharing your stuff around, you're probably doing well.
>>
>>68376834
>actually literally believing there's such a thing as "paying for social network"

don't kid yourself, they have enough candidate to spot the fakers like you and let them rot while they actually put people they like in place. And they won't be you since you are only there for the money.
>>
>>68376778
If you're paying beyond in-state public university tuition prices, chances are you're a scrub and shouldn't be there anyways. It's an open secret that those people are just brought in to keep schools up and running with their big old tuition bill while the top percentile basically get a near free ride because of the prestige (and partnerships) they bring the school. Computers, maintenance, faculty, software licenses, etc cost boat loads of money and that's why acceptance rates for these art schools are typically in the 40% range whereas quality students with a future career are maybe 5% of the application pool.
>>
>>68376870
you linked the wrong post
>>
>>68376757
I don't have an art blog unfortunately. I'll make one one of these days when I feel like I've really got something to put there. As for the school, it's great. The teachers are really cool and helpful, the classes are interesting, and there's a lot of learning by doing. Don't really know much about making comics? Well for Cartooning classes you're gonna make comics. Maybe they'll suck, but that's fine, teachers and classmates always offer lots of really helpful constructive criticism. The program is great, and there's a strong community among the Cartooning majors. As for blogs, check out cartoonallies.tumblr.com, Cartoon Allies is the comics club, it's got a lot of examples of student work.
>>
Sheridan Animation is made up of 2/3 Chinese kids who come in for their 4 years and leave with their skills. Most Canadian Universitys/Colleges too, as a matter of fact. you walk down a hallway and you can't find one displayed drawing that does not have a gook last name on it. Sheridan loves it's international money and does not give a shit for domestic students.
>>
As someone who graduated earlier this year from a small/almost unknown art school, I feel like it's worth adding that if you don't get into one of the big schools it's probably not worth doing. Wait and re-apply. I'm finding it all but impossible to get work due to a complete lack of contacts. I'd like to think my work is decent (not spectacular), but I still feel like I'm playing catch-up with a lot of things.
>>
This thread is relevant to my interests, but I'm too tired to stay up and read it.

Suppose I'll bump it and hope it's still here.
>>
>>68376957
you bring up an interesting point that i haven't put much thought to, contacts. would you mind sharing your work? i'm curious to see the quality of your work
>>
>>68376957
or maybe... you shouldn't be browsing 4chan. This works too, you lazy punk.
>>
>>68376979
http://comradebodko.tumblr.com/

A lot of the stuff on there is super-quick drawings, but I think it links to some of my better stuff if you're actually looking.

But yeah, networking's huge. Definitely get a good internship too if you guy's are going to school for any of this stuff.

>>68376993
Take it easy, friendo, I threw out some applications earlier today. Ever heard of insomnia?
>>
>>68376957
i know that feeling, i go to a state school with a fine arts department. a guy a few years ahead of me got admitted to calarts a while ago, but ended up getting employed at a studio in texas instead (his blog is brokenlynx21 for the curious.)
>>
>>68377001
This one makes me curious.
>>
>>68376957
Anon, you need to hear this and take it to heart: The contact thing that everyone talks about, it's a distortion of the truth. This CalArts Connection myth is lightning in a bottle for a very small select few, not a universal rule of fantastically heightened probability for success due to what school you attended. Work comes to those who pound pavement, shake hands, get out of their shells, push their work into the face of anybody and everybody, and aren't afraid to fall on their faces.
>>
>>68376949
Naw, they only let in around 25 international students per year (though that number may have increased when they bumped up to 150 per year). It's just that most of those 25 are spectacular.
>>
>>68377033
That's fair. I know CalArts isn't a magical job tree.
But even so, I think it's equally naive to believe that there's no element of luck or purely personal connections involved in this industry. Working as hard as you can and putting yourself out there is absolutely necessary, yeah, but really it just gets you on the board. With art especially, you have to get lucky with a lot of things for somebody with pull to see your stuff and like it enough to actually give you a full-time job.
But I guess I'm just frustrated too. Fingers crossed.

>>68377022
I'm not gonna say much about that one, but I really need to finish it and get it out there while the idea's still good. And also get better at storyboarding.
>>
>>68377044
My foremost problem with Sheridan is the way they hawk their Fundamental program as a "portfolio building" program, which, after a few months, is revealed as a straight up fucking lie. only 90% of people in that program get into the animation without any assistance (workshops/tutoring). A lot of the attendance is international/Outside portfolios.
>>
>>68377082
I took art fundies too, and yeah it really shouldn't be advertised the way it is. Out of the 6+1 courses you have to take, only life drawing and painting are remotely useful. If you're smart, you basically pay $4000 for 3 hours of life drawing every day.
>>
>>68377081
idk it's iffy because for a few years i used the "i'm not at a skool with connections" to trick myself into not working as hard, or blaming my lack of success or skill on what school i attended. i'm not saying you did/are doing this, but somebody is probably reading this thread who is. but there's lots of young artists out there who are self taught and get into calarts right out of high school - they made themselves, not a school or teacher or expensive equipment. it took me until my twenties to realize it was all up to me so hopefully you guys who are younger than me (or even my age) will realize this too. anything is possible, you have the power to make or break yourself.
>>
>>68377118
Are you making a living doing art right now?
>>
>>68377113
The Extra Life Drawing is a good deal, but everything beyond that is staffed by trash teachers. I put down $460 a month for a outside workshop that is purposely designed to help produce a Sheridan level portfolio, and has been infinitely more fruitful then the 2-3 months i went to fundies. then again, i was only brought to this workshop by someone i met in fundies, so, yeah, connections.
>>
>Going on 24
>Took a Vidya game design course
>Actually got a good 3D animation job out of it
>No time to work on 2D skills, they degrade badly
>Just wanted to be a concept artist

I never knew how different each choice was.
>>
>>68377152
I've wanted to go to school for game art for ages now but havent got the faintest clue where to look.
>>
>>68377125
no, i'm very lucky that i had my 'come to jesus' moment before i finished school. i'm >>68377003 and my school's program is focused more on the fine arts, so pursuing animation/illustration/etc is more my onus than my professors'. my school has had a few speakers come from pixar (teddy newton told me my work was 'cute' .... swoon....) but otherwise students have to be self-made or they won't be made at all. this applies to ANY program tho... i've seen weak work out of schools like SVA and SCAD that have a lower acceptance threshold than a school like CalArts. so even a big, shiny, expensive program can fail you if your heart isn't there.
>>
>>68377118
I agree with this. The game isn't who you know, it's talent and dedication. Period. If you're in school now or trying to snag a job, and you think it's not going well because you're not in CalArts, look at what you're doing now. You're on the internet, talking to nobodies. Just be conscious of what time you waste and what it's really doing to you, and make an effort to draw instead of procrastinate. I can't stress this enough for the students here.
>>
>>68377166
I just went to a local university, got into a local small term Design studio, now I sit around making 3D Models for their projects.

It's good pay and easy work, but it's very mechanical, doesn't feel like what I wanted.

At leasr I ignored /v/'s advice and didn't go for programming.
>>
>>68377173
Damn Straight.

Art and illustration are not places you can get into purely by knowing people, you need to have some talent and ability to push workable shit out or you'll get shit on no matter who you are at the start.

Unless it's comic art.
>>
>>68377186
Maybe I'll just look into that instead. The older I get the more I think of just getting a job that will get me loadsa emone instead of something I actually wanted to do, but that could be a decent compromise between the two.
>>
Just feel it, brah.
>>
>>68377204
I enjoy it and I'm sure I can break out back into Concept Art eventually.

Just ignore Programming though, Literally a deathtrap when it comes to Vidya jobs.
>>
>>68377171
>>68377173
>>68377200

Agreed, for the most part. I'm not arguing that anyone should use their school or lack of networking as an excuse, but I think it's something people who aren't yet students should be conscious of. It can be very helpful.

I'm this guy- >>68377001
>>68376957
>>68377081
by the way. Apologies if I came off sounding whiney. Job searching is just exhausting stuff.
>>
>>68377226
>Apologies if I came off sounding whiney
You're not, and the frustration is understandable. Everyone at some point in their life faces the "what if" scenario, and for this thread it's seemingly always the lack of connections that's brought up.
>>
>>68377001
>Ever heard of insomnia?
a bloobloobloo poor little snowflake. No wonder noboody wants to work with you, you are an obvious pretentious self important drama queen that will blog irl instead of doing a real job interview.
>>
File: moon over june face.png (245 KB, 500x398) Image search: [Google]
moon over june face.png
245 KB, 500x398
I'll share my secondhand knowledge:

I have friends who have graduated RISD, Sheridan, MICA, Full Sail, and the Art Institute (top kek). The ones that went to Sheridan, MICA, and RISD didn't really improve any faster than they did before school. Two of them become colossal cunts with inflated egos.

The Full Sail grad landed a job in the vidya industry for EA and basically had his soul devoured. He's doing a bit better now that he's working for a small mobile game company. Both jobs didn't give a shit where he went to school, only about his portfolio, so he does not look favorably on his education.

MICA and AI grad both failed miserably out of school and aren't even in shitty art jobs. They wasted their money.

RISD grad landed an animation gig, but as a grunt, and is beginning to regret it (it's soul-crushing). They also got the job from an internet friend they knew and taught themselves most of the shit they know without the aid of professors, so the debt wasn't worth it.

Sheridan grad became a part-time illustrator. They could have been full-time, but they need a proper job in addition to illustration to pay off their debt.

I went to a community college for free, got my Associate's, then did 3 years as a freelance illustrator. I did some game work, porn, comics, etc. I did well, but doing art as a job left little time for art as a hobby/past-time. Plus you feel guilty for drawing personal shit when you have paid work to do. I'm feeling much better now that I'm working as a web developer doing art on the side.

tl;dr: It's probably not worth it, and if you have any doubts, it's DEFINITELY not worth it.
>>
>>68377173
ya, that is why i didn't post my art earlier. i know the game, yall. i would waste HOURS comparing myself to blogs online to see if i was 'good enough' or what was 'good enough' and if this person is 'good enough' i can be 'good enufff' too. but what i've realized (i wish i could remember who said this quote) that there is no big break, but a whole bunch of lil cracks until the wall falls away. there's no way around the grind, don't waste ya time looking folks!
>>
>>68375310
Can someone go back in time and convince my younger self to learn how to draw so that I can be a good enough artist to apply to CalArts so I can make my own cartoon show?
>>
Isn't art school a scam? They don't really teach you shit and charge you an arm and a leg.

Shitty artists get passed through with no one caring to help them improve. Good artists learn nothing new, and everyone just thinks of it as a necessary evil in order to make connections/network.

That's why every one wants into CalArts, not because it is a good school, but because it can offer you the best network.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.