[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tom King interview on his upcoming Batman series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: BM_Cv1.jpg (76 KB, 575x343) Image search: [Google]
BM_Cv1.jpg
76 KB, 575x343
http://www.newsarama.com/28607-new-batman-writer-on-new-series-new-batmobile-and-new-robin-esque-ward.html

>Though King has big shoes to fill – he calls Snyder and Greg Capullo’s Batman the “greatest run of all time” – he’s drawing on his own espionage background and his ability to tell a larger than life, epic story to, in his words, honor Snyder by one-upping him.

>Writing Batman is never the logical next step in your life! It’s an opportunity. It’s crazy to say this, but it’s like winning the lottery. When you win the lottery, are you like, “Oh, this is the logical next step, that I won a billion dollars.” No! It’s an amazing step, and it’s wonderful, but it’s not logical.

>And I relate that [Batman] a little bit to my C.I.A. stuff. Cause that’s what it’s like in the C.I.A. You want to get as close as you could to the horror without becoming the horror. And I tried to do that, and sometimes I didn’t do it right, and sometimes I slipped up, so I’m trying to bring that experience, of seeing the other side and both being empathetic to it, without being destroyed by it.

> In the first issue, it deals right those themes. We start with classic Batman – this is Gordon on a roof, this is Alfred in the cave, we’re seeing a Robin-esque figure, Duke Thomas, who is his new ward. He’s going through the clock, pressing 10:48. The new Batmobile is a take on the classic Batmobile. The whole theme of this book is using every modern storytelling technique I know to connect with classic Batman stories.

>So we start with Batman and Gordon on a roof, but then a missile blows the back off a plane, and the plane is about to crash into Gotham City. But what can Batman do? He’s a dude. He’s on a roof. And he’s got 8 minutes before a 747 plows into a building and kills thousands of people. And that’s the third page of the first issue, he has to deal with that. And the consequences of that first issue, what he has to do, play out over the entire year of the book.
>>
>>81250001

>Nrama: Is this a year-long project for you, or are you looking at it long term?

>King: This is indefinite. I’m following probably the greatest run in the history of the book with what Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo have done. I’m utterly intimidated by that, and humbled by it, but the only I can do is to honor it by trying to outdo it. And speaking of the devil…

>[Editor's Note: At this point, Scott Snyder sat down to join in on the interview.]

(Note: Scott Snyder will be co-writer for Batman Rebirth.)
>>
>>81250001
9/11
>>
>>81250080

>Nrama: Scott, welcome. Long time no see.

>King: Scott and I have never met! [Laughs]

>Snyder: Hi Tom! Nice to meet you!

>Nrama: Who would believe two Batman writers at the same convention. Small world!

>Snyder: We got married in Vegas last night! [Laughs] I actually did try and convince him to go to Vegas.

>Nrama: Scott, Tom, now that you’re both here, let’s talk about the unified direction for Batman. Tom, you’re writing Batman, Scott, you’re writing All-Star Batman, and they’re kind of exploring different facets of the character. Will your books touch at all?

>Snyder: We’re not gonna cross over, but we’re gonna work really, really closely together. The story that Tom’s doing is just phenomenal. I can’t say enough good things about this dude. When they told me they were gonna look at him to take Batman when I left, for me, there was no other choice. I told Batman Editor Mark Doyle, “This is the guy.” I was joking earlier that part of you always wants someone who’s gonna do a horrible job to come after you on a book that you took a lot of pride in, but you care about the character too much for that. To me, it was about picking out the best writer, and Tom’s the best up-and-coming writer in comics. The best writer in comics right now, in my opinion.

>King: Take that, Snyder!
>>
>>81250001
>Cause that’s what it’s like in the C.I.A. You want to get as close as you could to the horror without becoming the horror. And I tried to do that, and sometimes I didn’t do it right, and sometimes I slipped up
Christ, King.
>>
>>81250153

>Snyder: No, I’m serious! So for me, it became very much about coordinating. I’ve shown him everything I’m doing and it became very much about being good friends. I run all the story by him, and he runs stories by me, but we’re trying to give each other enough room to deliver very different Batman books. He’s doing Batman in Gotham, in a really big, epic way with a new threat you’ve never seen before, something really fun that redefines Batman’s relationship to Gotham. I wanted to do something that reinvents the classic villains in ways you haven’t seen, so those villains will be really different in terms of the ones he’s using, and the ones I’m using. We wanted it to be something where, it’s the same Batman, but everyone has enough room to do something really special. And I can promise you Batman is in good hands. It’s gonna be really special.

>Nrama: Scott, you just said you guys have worked together to plan the new direction for Batman. When you found out that Tom was taking over the main title, and you said he was the only choice for you, what do you think is the most important lesson you passed on to him? What piece of advice did you give him about following what he himself just called the “greatest run on the title ever”?

>King: Shh! What are you telling him that for?
>>
> In the first issue, it deals right those themes. We start with classic Batman – this is Gordon on a roof, this is Alfred in the cave, we’re seeing a Robin-esque figure, Duke Thomas, who is his new ward.
Bruce, raise your child
>>
>>81250080
>. I’m following probably the greatest run in the history of the book with what Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo have done.
Wow, I can't believe that King thinks Snyder's run was so shitty, he's just going to pretend it and Tony Daniel's runs don't exist and that he's following Morrison
>>
>>81250183

>Snyder: Wow, thank you. We talk a lot, so we’ve given each other a lot of advice. He’s given me as much advice as I’ve given him, believe me, both as friends and as writers. I look up to him a lot, both as a writer and as a person. I’ve given him a lot of advice – probably too much – but one thing I do remember saying early on is, remember that part of the fun of Batman is that he always wins. Not in a corny way, but ultimately he takes this tragedy in his life and he turns it into fuel to become this hero that he knows he can be. So he does always win because it’s a lesson in triumphing over the things that feel systemically impossible to overcome in your own life. Remember to have fun with that. He’s awesome. He’ll always come out on top.

>Nrama: Tom, same question. What is the piece of advice or the thing that Scott said to you that let you know you were the right person for the job?

>King: I think what he just said is the most important advice, cause I’m kind of a dirge-y writer. I write books like Vision and Omega Men and they’re definitely written in a minor key, of like, what a tragedy life is. So I have to remind myself that, when I was a kid, I read comics for the heroes. And I think the most noble thing comics do is, they give someone who’s had a tough day five minutes away from that tough day. And they give someone an adrenaline rush and show them that, in the end, the good guys win.

>But in all honesty, the thing I most remember that he said is – it was at a convention, it was like three in the morning, we were inebriated, and just like two Batman nerds being like, “What haven’t we seen before?” And I think what Snyder and Capullo brought to Batman was so much stuff you haven’t seen in the 70 years before that. So it’s important to surprise your audience, keep them on their feet, make them gasp out loud. So that I really took to heart.
>>
>>81250001
>Cause that’s what it’s like in the C.I.A. You want to get as close as you could to the horror without becoming the horror. And I tried to do that, and sometimes I didn’t do it right, and sometimes I slipped up, so I’m trying to bring that experience, of seeing the other side and both being empathetic to it, without being destroyed by it.

A little TMI, but at least he's honest about it, I guess.
>>
>>81250165
>(Note: King then went into 10 minutes of silence as he stared off into the distance.)
>>
who the fuck are the people in blue and grey?
>>
>>81250218

>Nrama: So Tom, what you’re saying is, when Alfred becomes Batman, we have Scott to blame.

>King: Yeah, when Alfred kills Batman, you can thank Scott.

>Snyder: [Laughs] Yeah, anything you like you can blame him, anything you don’t like you can blame me.

>But seriously, let me echo that really quick, because I think that’s really great about what Tom is doing, is he is doing something we’ve never seen before, and on top of it just being something really original, it’s personal. And one of the great things is, even though Batman can win, both of us like showing the dark side of the character. And what Tom’s been able to do in this arc is a really different sentiment, and a really different realization about Gotham. It speaks to a lot of the themes of his work, and I recognize it as uniquely Tom King, with all the things I love about his work. I’m very proud to stand next to him.

>King: And we’re doing an issue together! Batman: Rebirth. We’re co-writing it.

>Snyder: This was probably all supposed to be about that… Oh well!

On the length of the first arc and how they will be collected:

>

Nrama: So, with a story that takes place over the course of a year, are you doing what Scott Snyder was doing with those longer arcs, or are you doing shorter stories that build to something larger?

>King: I’m joined in this endeavor by David Finch, the modern master, and Mikel Janin, who I worked with on Grayson, and Jordie Bellaire on colors, who is one of, if not the best colorists working right now. So what’s gonna happen is, it’s gonna be a trilogy of trades, three trades in one year, that will add up to one bigger story, but each trade will be self-contained. It’s basically a Star Wars model of three huge, action packed adventure movies that test the limits of what comics can do, all climaxing in the hugest battle in the history of Gotham.
>>
>>81250218
>But in all honesty, the thing I most remember that he said is – it was at a convention, it was like three in the morning, we were inebriated, and just like two Batman nerds being like, “What haven’t we seen before?”
Aw, I wanna get drunk and make up Batman stories and then make everyone read them.
>>
>>81250211
My favorite part of that quote is when it's later revealed in the interview that Snyder is standing right there.
>>
So what I'm getting is that it's Batman by Batman?
>>
File: 1457482365522.jpg (17 KB, 235x282) Image search: [Google]
1457482365522.jpg
17 KB, 235x282
>>81250001
>he calls Snyder and Greg Capullo’s Batman the “greatest run of all time”
>>
>>81250001
>a Robin-esque figure, Duke Thomas,
So not Robin but a sidekick with a new name.
>>
>>81250400
>So not Robin but a sidekick with a new name.
Yes, Black Robin
>>
Did this chucklefuck even do anything of significance in the CIA? Every mention of it just reads like contrived PR shit.
>>
>>81250464
Eh, who knows, he could have been like a pencil-pusher but still more real world spy shit than anyone else writing comics in a long time
>>
File: punished ross.png (339 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
punished ross.png
339 KB, 500x500
>>81250165
I used to think /co/ was exaggerating about King possibly having PTSD, but through listening/reading interviews with other series (Says Viceroy in Omega Men is based off elements of himself), he's had a hard life.
>>
>>81250615
Also the CIA is frequently portrayed as the bad guys in pop culture.
>>
>>81250661
Except in TDKR and BvS
;_;7
>>
Would this be a good jumping on point? I'm more of a Superman guy but his Rebirth Series is fucked with multiple same characters and no red trunks. I like King's Vision series.
>>
>>81250661
Rectal rehydration, Anon.
>>
>>81250692
Someone ask Tom King if he'll introduce Bill Wilson into the comics
>>
Will that Damianfag stop shitposting now that Duke is confirmed not Robin? I love Damian but he's making us look bad.
>>
>>81250001
>blows the back off a plane, and the plane is about to crash
King is about to bring memes to comics. He's the writer Gotham deserves.
>>
>>81250522
Who cares? It doesn't make him a good writer. I doubt all that much is both applicable and novel. It can provide some detail, sure--not unlike how Fleming's background helped inform Bond--but it all feels rather inflated.

It's a curious career move either way, I'm not knocking it. I just suspect the emphasis is misplaced.
>>
File: TaeBwwvB.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
TaeBwwvB.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>>81250615
protect his smile
>>
>>81250464
He was a counterterrorism operations officer in Iraq for 7 years

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/entertainment/2015/08/02/cia-comics-former-agent-makes-career-splash/30930687/
>>
>>81250661
Frequently for good reason.
>>
>>81250398

>"At this point Snyder sits down and joins us"

Yeah he should have said it was dogshit
>>
File: king cia.jpg (362 KB, 757x720) Image search: [Google]
king cia.jpg
362 KB, 757x720
>>81250844
Grant opened the door to memes, King's just walking through
>>
>>81250001

>He’s going through the clock, pressing 10:48

KING

he's too good
>>
>>81250844
Ahahaha holy shit I just noticed that. What the fuck, this is getting out of control. What if Bane shows up in his run? I'm not comfortable with all this meme magic.
>>
>>81250849

>That face

He was the guy do the torturing wasn't he?
>>
>>81250927
Am I missing something here?
>>
There's another Batman interview on Nrama, this time about Snyder's All-Star Batman, starting in August:

>>As DC Comics decided to relaunch its entire line with Rebirth, writer Scott Snyder realized that he still had stories about the Dark Knight left to tell after his 52 issue run on Batman. So, with his longtime creative partner Greg Capullo taking a hiatus to work on a creator-owned title, Snyder decided to go in a different direction. Teaming up with a murderer's row of artists on shorter arcs that highlight classic Batman foes, Snyder will launch All-Star Batman as a part of Rebirth.

>>At WonderCon 2016, in the wake of DC's Rebirth announcements, Newsarama sat down with Snyder to talk about his vision for All-Star Batman, including his first arc in which he teams up with John Romita, Jr. to redefine Two-Face. Snyder also discussed some of the big name artists that will be joining him on the book, his overarching plans for his future with Batman, and why that loaded title is the perfect moniker for this type of Batman story, which he described elsewhere as "his Long Halloween."

>Newsarama: Scott, let’s talk about All-Star Batman. You dropped a lot of hints at C2E2 about what your Rebirth project would be, and so this title makes a lot of sense. In a way, it almost feels like a victory lap, coming after your incredibly successful relaunch of Batman in the "New 52." Do you see this as the next chapter of your Batman story?

>Scott Snyder: Yeah, I didn’t want to do something that would be repetitive where I felt like, if Greg Capullo was leaving the book, it wouldn’t be right for me to do another Batman #1. And knowing they were thinking about Tom King coming over, I became very vocal about him taking the book because I knew he would do an amazing job. And he’s going to. I think he’s the best up-and-coming writer in comics, and Batman is gonna be great.
>>
>>81250953
>issue #4 is titled "you"
>>
>>81251004

>But I was like, “What does that leave me when I have all these stories I want to do, particularly with all the villains?” And I started coming up with this idea back in August, where I started thinking, what if I do a series where I invite some of the best artists in the series in to do Batman stories, but in continuity with All-Star Batman for the first time ever, make it a new ongoing series that allows me to work with different artists. So it’s not really the same thing that allowed me to work with one guy the way I did with Greg, but I’m working on every villain with a different artist that’s paired to them, that loves that villain and has a new idea for how to do them. The way we revamped Joker, John Romita, Jr. is revamping Two-Face. And all of that’s in continuity, so when they show up in other books, they’ll look like these character you see in All-Star Batman.
>>
>>81250001
His CIA background must mean he's had plenty of experience with planes crashing and leaving no survivors.
>>
>>81251037

>Their origins are the same, nothing is changing, in the way that Rebirth isn’t changing the origins of characters, we’re not. But it’s the same thing we did with the Joker where we didn’t change what came before with him, but we introduced him in a way you hadn’t seen before. So I was like, if I can get John to do an arc with me, and I can get Sean Murphy to do an arc with me, and Jock? I got my anchors. So I couldn’t have been more excited when they all said they could do some stuff together. Really, the big anchors for me are John and Sean. Jock is doing a smaller one in the middle. It really is a dream series. I started inviting people like Declan Shalvey, Francesco Francavilla is doing a part with Jock, so we’re getting our “Black Mirror” team back together. Tula Lotay is doing Poison Ivy. Afua Richardson, who has become a friend and someone I admire so much, is gonna do one. So for me it’s just inviting in some of the best in the business, up-and-comers and rock stars, to reinvent Gotham a bit, and do stuff that matters in continuity. Give fans a different flavor than Batman, because Tom’s just gonna kill it on Batman.

>Nrama: All-Star Batman is a loaded title for fans of DC Comics. How did you arrive at using the name?

>Snyder: I know! Well, I debated it. But what Tom reminded me is that there’s never been an All-Star Batman, there’s only been All-Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder. When I realized that, I said, “You know what? There’s never been an All-Star Batman. All-Star Superman is my favorite Superman story of all time.” And what “All-Star” means to me is that it was a brand that invited my favorite creators to do books that were special to them. For me, this book is about inviting creators that I admire to do Batman with me. It’s an appropriate title.
>>
>>81251068

>I thought about some other ones. I thought about calling it “Shadow of the Bat,” or “The Batman,” but what it really came down to is that All-Star Batman, for me, said what it is. It’s not that I’m an all-star, it’s that I’m inviting the best people in the business outside of Greg, because it doesn’t get any higher than Greg, to come do this with me. And my friends, also - I’ve been dying to do a Batman story with Sean Murphy for years. And when John said he was available, a year ago, he said “Let’s do some Batman,” so how do you turn down John Romita? I’m very excited. I can’t wait.

>Nrama: You mentioned Paul Pope earlier, as well.

>Snyder: Yeah! Paul Pope. I was just talking to him a few days ago. We’re gonna do a short one together too. We’ve got a couple of ideas. I don’t want to give away which villain he’s doing, cause I want to make sure I can clear it. But if he gets to do what he wants to do, it’ll be pretty crazy.

>Nrama: Batman was really based on these long, operatic arcs that it seemed people really responded to. Will All-Star Batman be based more on shorter, brief stories that focus on individual villains?

>Snyder: Yeah. The first and the last are longer. The way I see the series is 13 issues. I’d like to do unlucky 13, and then it could go on. I shouldn’t spoil this, but I’ve got a story I’d like to do with Lee Bermejo after that, so it’s a true ongoing.
>>
>>81250981

it's the password to the Batcave/the time Bruce's parents got shot

It's just the kind of callback goof I enjoy
>>
>>81251113

>But the first arc is called “My Own Worst Enemy,” and it’s about 13 issues. The first part with John is about six issues. It might be packed into five with the last one being double-sized. Then we’re gonna do some one-shots and short stories, then we’re gonna do the finale with Sean. It’s almost like my Dark Knight Returns. It’s crazy, crazy “Old Man Logan” Batman who winds up coming back to the past. It’s really nutty, I can’t wait. Sean and I have been talking about it for a long time. All of it is in continuity, and secretly, it is all one big, operatic story where it’s asking you, “Who is the worst enemy?” And I think it will surprise people, cause in this one, it’s not the Joker. It’s someone where people will be like “What???” so I can’t wait.

>Nrama: What’s the one element that you’re bringing into All-Star Batman that you didn’t get to do in your 52 issues of Batman that is the one big thing you knew you had to do?

>Snyder: That’s a great question. I mean, I think with Batman itself, with Greg, part of the fun is you learn how to write for one person. You’re always thinking of them, and writing for them in ways that flex certain muscles. And I was always trying to push him, and push us as a team, but when I got a chance to write for Jock for an issue, and for Becky Cloonan for a couple issues, it changed my whole style, and made me, I think, a better writer, to be able to work in very different ways. So I want to show people what I can do differently on this character.
>>
>>81250847
Whether or not he had a gun on his hand on the ground the CIA is a large complex morally-gray kinda organization that tries to enforce its brand of justice on the world. I think he'd have more insight than the average writer

> "You feel like you can push on the world and it moves. You feel like you're doing something where if I screw this up it's going to be the headline of every paper tomorrow, and if I don't screw it up then I'll hopefully serve some higher purpose.

I mean, I don't think it makes him a good writer on it's own, but so far I've enjoyed everything he put out. He's a writer I already enjoy, now writing Batman when he also has this extra insight into Bruce's mindset. I don't see a reason to not have high hopes
>>
>>81251150

>For example, the first story, the Two-Face story, literally takes place as Batman is taking Two-Face – and our version of Two-Face is different from anything you’ve seen - he’s taking him somewhere upstate for reasons I don’t want to give away. But when the Bat-Plane goes down, cause Two-Face engineers a crash, they’re on the road being hunted by every bad guy in Gotham, who’s trying to kill them before they get where they’re going. And everyone on the road wants to kill them as well. So it’s sort of monster trucks, and motorcycles, and chainsaws, and really, really bombastic fun, but it’s also a personal story. It’s very much about Two-Face saying, “Everyone has a monstrous side they don’t wanna show the world, and those are our true sides. You’re not the person you show the world. You’re the darker face,” and he decides to prove it to Batman with a very dark twist.

>So I guess what I’m getting at is, this series allows me to flex very, very different muscles. I promise you this – you’ve never seen me write Batman like I’m writing Batman in this series. That’s the one thing I said to John Romita, when we met. We live very close to each other – I run by his house actually, which I didn’t realize until we met and he was like, “We live in the same town.” So we met at this bar and he was like, “Look, I know you do a lot of Batman. I just wanna do a good job.” So I was like, “Listen, if we do this, the only reason to do it is to do something that neither of us has ever done before,” and that’s what I’ve said to every artist on the book. I want every story to be something you would not expect from me, that you’ve never seen me do. And this one literally takes place on the road, almost like “Death Race Batman.” I hope it sounds good, I hope everyone is looking forward to it. I’m excited.

>Nrama: You had me at “Death Race Batman.”

FIN
>>
His Batman is gonna be great

I hope he gets to do a GL run in the future ;_;
>>
>>81251183
Fair enough. I haven't been that impressed with the (admittedly limited) stuff I've read. This is likely why his background means little to me.
>>
>>81251023
>Issue #6 is named part of your plan
>>
>>81251272
Fuck GL, once he's Batman famous he can be on anything and it'll sell. Give him an Adam Strange book or something.
>>
>>81251339
But I want to see him on GL specifically

His one shot was really good and he obviously knows his cosmic DC stuff
>>
>>81251150
>>81251200
This sounds like it could either be amazing or a complete disaster.
>>
So is Snyder's run worth reading? I haven't read Batman since the New 52 started.
>>
>>81251339
I'm pretty sure he's been at "Be on anything and it'll sell" ever since The Vision started and people started gobbling his comics up.
>>
>>81251513
All of his comics so far have sold terribly. DC just realized that he was a great writer and put him on something they know will sell to get people to notice him.
>>
>>81251506
Court of Owls is top, but other than that not really.
>>
>>81250001
>>And I relate that [Batman] a little bit to my C.I.A. stuff. Cause that’s what it’s like in the C.I.A. You want to get as close as you could to the horror without becoming the horror. And I tried to do that, and sometimes I didn’t do it right, and sometimes I slipped up, so I’m trying to bring that experience, of seeing the other side and both being empathetic to it, without being destroyed by it.

>>81250218
>>King: I think what he just said is the most important advice, cause I’m kind of a dirge-y writer. I write books like Vision and Omega Men and they’re definitely written in a minor key, of like, what a tragedy life is. So I have to remind myself that, when I was a kid, I read comics for the heroes. And I think the most noble thing comics do is, they give someone who’s had a tough day five minutes away from that tough day. And they give someone an adrenaline rush and show them that, in the end, the good guys win.

This is why King is such a damn good writer, dude's had truly defining life experiences and brings something to the table nobody else can right now.
>>
>>81251513
Are you memeing? No one buys Vision even.
>>
>>81251513
I mean, Vision 1 came out in the middle of November. That's just like a couple of issues of BR:E (which sells well whoever is on it or whatever the fuck is happening), and Robin War (an event).
I thought Omega Man sold shit and Grayson definitely doesn't get Nightwing numbers.
>>
>>81251506
I liked his Dickbats strory, the Black Mirror
>>
>>81251579
>This is why King is such a damn good writer, dude's had truly defining life experiences and brings something to the table nobody else can right now

Yeah especially with their new writer program where DC writers train people how to be future DC writers. All they have is some writing classes and then straight into comics
>>
>>81250253
>So what’s gonna happen is, it’s gonna be a trilogy of trades, three trades in one year, that will add up to one bigger story, but each trade will be self-contained.
I'm fucking straight up masturbating to this right now hot damn.

Is this going to be the way all the double-shipping books work? Because three trades a year is a massive improvement. If we can get them staggered nicely, that'll be the best gift a tradewaiter could ask for.

Also, it's going to be EXTREMELY interesting to see Bellaire coloring for Finch.
>>
>>81251600
That's really the whole point of Rebirth. They're just taking their good writers and putting them on big named books now instead of shit casuals won't even think about reading. It's a smart move, even if it means less stuff like Omega Men and Midnighter.
>>
>>81251691
If the Vertigo Rebirth rumor is true weirder stuff like that might just be coming out under that emblem instead.
>>
>>81251691
Then we wait a year or two and the risk taking starts again
>>
>>81251616
I'm going to be doing my absolute damndest to get in on that. Me and a friend are going to spend the next few weeks co-writing short stories for the publication requirement. I'm a philosophy/psychology major with a minor in peace studies and criminology, who's on a Criminology Ph.D. track, and he's a materials engineer. It's not being in the fucking CIA, but maybe that's something to offer?
>>
>>81251754
>vertigo rebirth

I haven't heard anything about this. Do tell.

That Hellblazer is a DC title rather than a Vertigo one would be a bit weird if Vertigo starts doing DC properties again.

But hey, we're getting Moritat on Constantine, I can't complain.
>>
>>81251789
I feel like the riskier stuff will be relegated to minis with a guaranteed end. DC seems to be all about the trade game right now.
>>
>>81251794
Honestly I'm happy with anything beyond " I've read A LOT of comics in my life." I mean Ostrander came in with a background in theology and theater
>>
>>81251827
We'll be hearing Vertigo news at an upcoming big con, rumor is they're going back to traditional Vertigo instead of trying to compete with Image like the last wave
>>
>>81251827
It's a Bleeding Cool rumor, but it kind of fits if you look at the solicits and the number of books that should end soon for Vertigo. But basically the idea is that since all the new DC exclusives announced are both DC and Vertigo that they'll do a huge launch for Vertigo soon too.
>>
>>81251691
DC always goes through phases like this, don't they? I have to give them credit though, they've given so many books like Midnighter and Manhunter a chance over the years. I really can't be mad as much as I wish them to continue they get longer than financially they probably can be justified.

>>81251794
God speed, at least you can say you tried. I'm going to go for their art one, it doesn't have the same publishing requirement (though I'm sure it helps).
>>
>>81251833
Which is the smartest thing either of the Big Two are doing. This is just a few steps away from Digital replacing Floppies, and keeping Trades, which is what it needs to become.
>>
>>81251907
DC hasn't stopped trying in decades. Even when a lot of passion projects falter, you still get ones that chug along against all odds, like Jonah Hex/All-Star Western. That fucker survived a line-wide reboot. That is dedication.
>>
>>81251616
You do have to be published already just to get in though
>>
>>81251915
Digital has stagnated at a fairly low amount (10-20% of physical). It's not replacing shit. Trades are the only hope.
>>
>>81251579
>>>King: I think what he just said is the most important advice, cause I’m kind of a dirge-y writer. I write books like Vision and Omega Men and they’re definitely written in a minor key, of like, what a tragedy life is. So I have to remind myself that, when I was a kid, I read comics for the heroes. And I think the most noble thing comics do is, they give someone who’s had a tough day five minutes away from that tough day. And they give someone an adrenaline rush and show them that, in the end, the good guys win.
King//Seely/Geoff/Morisson 52 2, when?
>>
File: slash_marouad.jpg (273 KB, 640x483) Image search: [Google]
slash_marouad.jpg
273 KB, 640x483
>>81251907
I fell like of the Big 2 DC has more history publishing weird personal projects that couldn't have been seen as anything but financial losses
>>
>>81252005
I'd love for them to work together, but trying to do another 52 would never work. It was basically a fluke.
>>
>>81252075
What the heck is this and is it worth reading?
>>
>>81251339
I think if Hackman does come over to DC, he'll end up writing Rip Hunter or Adam Strange.
>>
File: 61OtPnPdeWL._SL1005_.jpg (98 KB, 647x1005) Image search: [Google]
61OtPnPdeWL._SL1005_.jpg
98 KB, 647x1005
>>81252115
Apparently where Ennis completely stole Tommy Monaghan's original look from
>>
>>81252183
Legion is more likely. Hickman's name sells and he's probably the only one besides Johns who could give it the sales it needs.
>>
>>81251794
Good luck my dude.
>>
>>81252223
He should finish the last two issues of his S.H.I.E.L.D. run and published it as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Annual before Legion in 2017.
>>
>>81251794
Good luck. But there's more to writing than your educational or vocational background. If you want to be a good writer you have to write. This is true even for lower-middlebrow semi-trash like superhero comics.
>>
>>81250206
this made me laugh
>>
>>81251317
cool story, hansel
>>
>>81253136
Ok
>>
>>81250001
die bruce wayne ..fuck hate you.. die...
>>
>>81250463
hahah torken robin..
>>
>>81250844
fuck noooooooo
>>
>>81251506
no it is shit.
>>
I'm starting to think Tom King is making too big a fucking deal of his CIA background.
>>
>>81252784
Very true. I feel very competent in my writing abilities when it comes to just the mechanics of writing, but haven't plotted in a very long time. That's where my friend mostly comes in, he's kinda the opposite. Does a lot of plotting in his spare time but due to his main field of study, doesn't have much chance to write, and thus his technical mastery of the language isn't where I'm at. Like, I write a lot, but almost all my writing has been for school in the past few years, so I need to start working out on crafting fiction.

But seriously,
>>81252784
>>81252500
>>81251907
>>81251860
Thanks to all of you for your well-wishes and words of advice. I AM more well-versed in comics than novels, or, I've at least spent more time digging into the comic medium than prose in the last few years, but I don't think that's all I have. I'm going to do the best I humanly can, and drop /co/ hints as much as possible should I make it in..
>>
Tom King his Bruce Wayne is a shit father..super daddy is now a better dad..
>>
>>81253650
It's a major part of his life and informs a lot of his work, should he not mention it at all?

>>81253744
King said somewhere that he will address Damian a fair deal in his run, right? Because man is Bruce being a shit dad.

Oh man... I just realized... if they play up the whole "different universe of origin" thing between Clark "Pa" Kent and Bruce, that'd throw a weird wrench into what could be an adorable dynamic between two best friends raising their sons. Like, Super Sons is a wonderful concept, but man I'd also kill for a Super Dads book.
>>
>>81251148
Except that in New 52 Batman & Robin, he changed it to his parent's wedding anniversary.
>>
>>81253650
>I'm starting to think Tom King is making too big a fucking deal of his CIA background.

I think you're just reading interviews where he's asked about it.

If you read his letters pages in The Vision, he almost never mentions it.
>>
>>81250001
Obviously he'll ask Bane for help
>>
People often ask me why I hate Batman. So I am here to tell you ...
>>
>>81253782
Batman is probably the most written shit dad.character in DC now.Thank you Tom King !
>>
>>81250218
>you will never drunkenly talk about Batman with Tom King at 3am
>>
>>81253782
I've Never Hated Anything The Way I Hate 'Batman now.
>>
>>81253782
Scott Snyder’s Bruce Wayne comes out as uncaring, cold and dismissive of Damian’s pain. He cares nothing about Damian and would willing throw him under a bus to get what he wants.And now, the shit really hits the fan.
>>
>>81253782
I hope Tom King does not forget that Damian is not only Batmans Robin -but also his son-
>>
>>81250001
>the comic starts with 9/11
>>
This whole thing is ridiculous.Important to note is that Damian is already a diverse character in that he is Arab and some Chinese in his gene.
Damian Wayne is not white , Duke Thomas is not white.
>>
Damiposter, please kill yourself and stop shitting up every even tangentially batfam-related thread
>>
>>81250001
>we’re seeing a Robin-esque figure, Duke Thomas, who is his new ward
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D E P P O R D
>>
I don't need Batman to be Walking Dead. I didn't read Grayson but please DC don't turn Batman into the punisher.
>>
>this whole thread.

>I want to read about Damian in "Batman", because when I buy the comic book called " Batman", I do it to read about Batman. Besides, Teen Titans and Super Sons are not enough for my Damian fix.
>>
>>81254499
but let's be real here.
I want to read about Damian in "Batman"
He is 10 and Batmans son.
>>
>>81254499
Well, let's be honest here. If the intention behind Tower of Babel was to make Batman look like a paranoid lunatic, there were definitely better ways to do it.
That kid 10.
>>
>>81254466
Yeah, that's true.
>>
>>81251506
Of course.
>>
>>81250001
>we’re seeing a Robin-esque figure, Duke Thomas
XD Damianfags in ruins

Tom King-sama has spoken. Duke is the one true Robin
>>
>>81254565
>I want to read about Damian in "Batman"
Well, I don't. Damian needs to be a character, not Bruce's ball and chain. As a writer, you should be able to tell Batman stories without Damian.
>>
>>81254712
LOL
You are so funny anon, maybe you should get a trip
>>
File: tumblr_nym0waRcWk1qkb1m6o1_400.jpg (79 KB, 340x527) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nym0waRcWk1qkb1m6o1_400.jpg
79 KB, 340x527
>he calls Snyder and Greg Capullo’s Batman the “greatest run of all time”
>>
>>81250250
Batlass and Chavwing
>>
>>81251506
Every arc starts off great, then kind of drags on then you get shit fucking ending.

I heard only arc that is consistently decent is Zero Year, but Death in the Family was so bad throughout I dropped the book like a hot potato.
>>
>>81251200
>So it’s sort of monster trucks, and motorcycles, and chainsaws,
so there's this, the current Hyperion run, Ghost Racers, how many other comics are gonna have a MM:Fury Road sequence?
>>
>>81253650
that's his brand
>>
>>81254472
>I didn't read Grayson
then you don't deserve to read Batman
>>
>>81254717
fuck i hate tom king .
>>
>>81254717
Tom king is that you ? You sucks:-)
>>
Is Batman the world's worst dad? While movies and comics have taken the definition of "bad dad" to a whole new level,
>>
>>81256008
-He heavily neglected Damian that kid is 11. Mainly, I blame the writers for badly handling the relationship.
>>
>>81256008
he's never tried to eat his sons, so that puts him above Kronus and Shrek's dad
>>
>>81250153
>>Snyder: We’re not gonna cross over, but we’re gonna work really, really closely together.
I don't think is fair for Damian and Duke, but mostly it is very unfair to Tom King that he has been put to this position, where he has to share the steering of the flagship with Snyder, who already had his chance and blew it.
>>
>>81256087
I ant believe >Snyder: fail to notice there was other ways to help this kids.>Snyder
>>
>>81256087
tom King is Snyders clone now urgg.
will not buy batman comics..goodbye Batman you asshole're bad father.
>>
>>81250001
Tumblr is now Anti -Batman.Lets all raise a glass to all those terrible dads out there, I say “SCREW YOU DADDY DEAREST!!!!!! I don’t need you anyway.”
>>
The collective butthurt from Damianfags nourishes me.
>>
>>81250001
Man, I like what i e read of grayson, but the fact that he dickrides snyder so hard really makes ke lose respect for the dude, and lose all my hype about finally getting a new batman wroter? Hack snyfers run ks what he consoders the BEST run of the character?
>>
>>81254466
>D E P P O R D
You tried to say deport?
>>
>>81256276
tom king is that you you loser ? I HATE YOU
>>
>>81256282
this !
>>
Bruce taken the definition of "bad dad" to a whole new level .
>>
>>81256315
I am glad you agree with my opinion despite my horrible fucking spelling. 4chan doesnt work so hot on my phone amd I have big goddamn fingers, apologies all.
>>
>>81250001
Batman is an abusive parent and worthless dirtbag.
>>
A lot of samefagging going around here.
>>
>>81256371
Tom King is mad guys ..
>>
>>81256282
you don't trash-talk the run right before yours unless the dude was fired for wild incompetence
>>
File: robinrip4.jpg (178 KB, 620x953) Image search: [Google]
robinrip4.jpg
178 KB, 620x953
>>81250001
Snyder’s . Batman is a completely terrible father,.

Damian's last plea to his mother ..
Bruce is no better than Talia now..
>>
>>81250731
There won't be multiple Supermen by the time of Rebirth. Every solicit mentions only pre-52. Whatever happens to New52 Superman that takes him out of action or kills him probably will be in the "Rebirth" book itself.
>>
File: Superman-Prime.jpg (38 KB, 250x381) Image search: [Google]
Superman-Prime.jpg
38 KB, 250x381
>>81256685
these are people who say 52 superman is not the real superman he is the superboy prime..
>>
>>81256627
I mean, the only person who could beat Damian was Damian from the future with help, so when you look at it that way, he's actually a great father.
>>
>>81254409
This, desu. I mean I like Damian too, but jeez.
>>
>>81256762
DamianS clone is he meta human ?
>>
>>81256276
It's just one guy, I think.
>>
>>81256785
TOK KING IS MAD GUYS !
YOU SUCKS TOM:
>>
>>81256282
>not reading Omega Men
>not reading Vision
>not reading Sheriff of Babylon
Why do you hate good comics?
>>
Batman is a coward. Tom Kings superfans are annoying though.
>>
>>81256870
Batman is meh with me.find most of his fans annoying as fudge. Other than that he's okay. I'm not a fan of the whole Dark and Brooding concept either, but whatever.
>>
So what do you think of Scott Snyder? There's so may different interpretations out there. There's a bunch I don't like, like Frank Miller's Dark Knight Strikes Again Batman or Scott Snyder's Batman, but he's still my favorite character.
>>
>>81256944
Scott Snyder Fanboys make nintendo fan boys look cool.
>>
>>81256967
You are a one annoying cocksucker and I hope your father fucks you like a pig.
>>
>>81250001
It would be different it Damian had not been ignored completely by the entire Bat-line over a year and has not made a meaningful contribution to the main Batbook in over five years meang at all in this continuity. Robin used to be one of the most important characters of Batman's supporting cast and mythos.

Also, he's like 11 or 12 in the comics. Robin's usually grow up in the position, maturing or reaching adult-hood before striking out on their own. Pretty soon Batman will just be shipping out toddlers with a little Bat-stamp out to the TT just for them to be replaced the next time he sends a new kid in the mail and become the next Nightwing-lite. I don't even really like Damian all too much, but he is Bruce's biological son. The continued ignorance of his character makes Bruce look like a shitty dad, especially when he goes and adopts another son.

It seems to be par for the course that each new head Batman writer that is head of the line for any prolonged period of time needs to create a new sidekick for Batman. This leads to a bloated Bat-family and reduces the significance of his partners.

Edit: And making Damian the token Robin of the TT does not usher him into the DCU, it makes him the token Robin on the TT.

I don't hate Duke but he has come too early and is egging Damian out of a positon that he hasn't reached his full potential in yet IMO.

I was hoping that King would use Damian more after Rebirth and make the Robin title mean something again, but the fact that the comic opens with Alfred, Gordon, and Duke is rather telling.
>>
File: laughingbatman.jpg (55 KB, 486x409) Image search: [Google]
laughingbatman.jpg
55 KB, 486x409
>>81250953
>>81250844
>And I relate that [Batman] a little bit to my C.I.A. stuff. Cause that’s what it’s like in the C.I.A.
>but then a missile blows the back off a plane, and the plane is about to crash into Gotham City.
>But what can Batman do? He’s a big guy.
Holy shit.
>>
Brings him back from death, only to then send him off on his own while he takes in a new teenager. At some point they'll have to address Damian.
>>
>>81257009
Letting Damian not be Robin at all makes Bruce look like a shitty Dad!
>>
What's with the shitposter in this thread?
>>
Constant praise of Snyder’s Detective run baffled me for a long time, so this is great occasion for me to let off some steam.
I think this run wasn’t good at all. Yes, there were some stellar visuals (for example the creepy auction), but let’s talk about actual plotting (spoilers). First off – James Gordon. His a perfect example of Villain Sue – he is infallible, he knows everything he needs to know just because (Batmans identity? By shaking Dick hand. That’s The Dark Knight Rises’ “I looked into your eyes” shit right there). He dupes everyone, even the Joker (Snyder must show you that his creation is superior). His master plan succeeds. And at last, he is a relative of a cast member(s), so he causes emotional response in a reader by default.
Lesser plots also had problems. Like that one with a whale in a bank (? or some other building). Main mystery was, how was that possible? Snyder pulled Bendis in this story by introducing interesting setup and abandoning it in favor of action scenes. What a waste of time.
But by far the worst offender was one simple scene. Gordon calls his wife to warn her that Joker has escaped and probably will try to harm her. Immediatly after she hears door ringing and without thinking opens it! This scene just pissed me off, not only because it’s a cliche, but a terrible one! Just cheap audience manipulation, which he was pulling quite often throughout the run. “This is just a comic book” isn’t an excuse to me.
I admit, I read The Black Mirror two years ago and my memory of it is pretty fuzzy, so my recollection of it might not be perfect.
>>
>>81250001
you would think Snyder’s run was the best thing ever in the entirety of the universe
one terrible boring story after another ,way the hell off characterisations, super stupid batman
>>
>>81251148
Really, I thought that was the price of a cheese pizza and a large soda
>>
>>81257140
There's this really annoying poster who I think is like 13 and every time Damian comes they spam the thread lot of inane shit in broken English and kill any discussion of they don't like the current direction
It's really obnoxious.

I mean you can argue Bruce probably shouldn't take in another kid to raise while he's still struggling to raise his emotionally damaged shell of a kid, but Bruce makes many poor choices
>>
>>81259044
>There's this really annoying poster who I think is like 13 and every time Damian comes they spam the thread lot of inane shit in broken English and kill any discussion of they don't like the current direction
>It's really obnoxious.
Iirc, 14 year old grill.
>>
>>81259081
It's like the random spork pasta revived for a modern generation
I don't like it
>>
>>81250001
I'm not gonna lie, I'm not looking forward to King's run on Batman.

I wish we got someone else to be honest.

>>81254466
Not happy with it either and I'm pretty sure Snyder is behind this.
>>
>>81259081
Tom king you're a racist ?
>>
>>81259267
Snyder admitted that he didn't like to write Damian, He didn't feature in his other arcs. That ultimately is my problem,I'm not paying to read the same story again and again,I need a reason to stay and read Duke,I need to be told what new elements he'll introduce to the mythos or any new ground he'll help Batman cover. He's starred in his own ongoing and in Snyder's Batman,at this point I should know what his deal is.
>>
>>81259044
>you; ARE jasonfan; leve now
pretty sure they're Russian or something they seem to have no idea where capital letters or punctuation goes.
>>
>>81259333
Tom King ?
>>
>>81259081
I Hate Shitty Comics - Tumblr hate Batman so much now.I think the little girl's right.
Fuck Bruce Wayne .
>>
>>81259324
Don't care about Damian. My problem is that we don't need another freaking Robin or Robin-esque.

Batman have a large supporting cast. They should use them instead of introducing new characters like Harper and Duke.
>>
>>81259478
I agree, the Batfamily is getting over saturated and I'm finding it difficult to care about all of the new members. Every time they introduce a good character into Gotham, they ruin it by folding them into the Batfamily and going through the same things done 7 times before. I liked We are Robin but just because it failed doesn't mean Bruce has to take another kid into his house and train him.
>>
>>81253804
Yeah because he decided celebrating their life was a bit less creepy. Guess that didn't last.
>>
File: 1435776434345.jpg (24 KB, 236x272) Image search: [Google]
1435776434345.jpg
24 KB, 236x272
>>81250001
>Snyder and Greg Capullo’s Batman the “greatest run of all time”
>>
Surprisingly, I want to pick this book up. Going to have to hold on to see how the first few issues are before I straight up add them to my pull list. >>81259478
>>
>>81250615
>>81250661
>>81250849
Punished Venom King
>>
>>81259478
I can't see any of the new characters winning any fans anyway, not that any new characters do any more. People are either indifferent or actively hate Harper, I don't mind Duke, but then again I don't know much about him.
At a time when you can't have the Robins even look at each other without starting a fan war about who could win, throwing in more characters and having Bruce say they are more skilled than his previous sidekicks seems like a terrible idea.
>>
>>81259717
Harper gets hate from Cass and Stephfags. And everyone who thought she'll replace all Robins.
On the other hand, for such unskilled character, she's pretty deadly.
>>
>>81259792
No I hate her for,
1. Managing to usurp Batman & Robin Eternal which was billed as a celebration of 75 years of Robin, she's had more screen time than just about everyone who's ever been Robin put together, she also beat up characters she shouldn't have been able to touch, but that's comic power levels for you.
2. Having a costume that looks like she stepped out of a a punk-revival music video from 2200.
>>
>>81253738
>>81251907
>>81253738
>>81251860
Intersting, I am en enginner background so I an really versed in the mechanics of story, how to make a pitch, annotations, proposals and the like. I have done well in those fields, but hardcore scripting has always been my weakness.

In any case I think we should make a thread to give support, share resources, and give feedback for the next two months.

Sound like a plan?
>>
>>81250615
sauce on that viceroy bit
>>
>>81260493
100%, we have regular threads for webcomics and general drawfagging, this deserves a general with some helpful links to things like short story publication websites, etc.
>>
>>81250847
He was an intern at Marvel, then 9/11 happend and he joined the military.

Look at Omega Men, Sheriff of Babylon or Grayson and tell me his experience doesnt make him a better writer
>>
>>81256752
>New52 Superman has been evil the whole time

That would be amazing. I want this to be a thing.
>>
>>81260550
>On the other side of the coin, we've got some brand new characters making their way into the series. There's the terrifically named Scrapps, and the sinister-looking The Viceroy. What do these new cast members represent in terms of your vision for the farthest reaches of the DC Universe?

>These two are stolen fairly blatantly from my real life and thrown into the DCU to see what happens.

>The Viceroy, who is the Citadel officer in charge of the Vega System, is taken from the worst parts of myself during my time in the CIA. It's hard to describe if you haven't been there, but there's a certain (and certainly sinister) energy you get from being the representative of a great empire in a far corner of the Earth. It's like a high. You sort of think you can change things. You can push on the world, and it will move, and if you push it in the right way, you're the hero of every story. The Viceroy is addicted to this energy. He thinks he understands the people of the Vega system better than they understand themselves; he knows what's good for them. I had that thought. I had it a lot. I'm not sure if I was always wrong. I'm not sure if being not sure about that is a good thing. So I put all this in him.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/grayson-co-writer-makes-complicated-killers-of-dc-comics-omega-men
>>
File: Too much.jpg (15 KB, 130x203) Image search: [Google]
Too much.jpg
15 KB, 130x203
>>81260676
>Scrapps, a brand new Omega Man, is basically me writing my daughter's personality into a book. My daughter refuses to be anything but what she is. She will not conform to a standard I or the world try to give her. She's going to dress in a pink princess dress and play in the dirt with a Black Canary action figure riding a pretend unicorn, all while yelling at her brothers (and me) to go to Hell. Scrapps doesn't give a damn until she does. And when she does, if you don't, you'll probably soon be dead.

>King based Viceroy on self
>Scraps based off daughter
>Issue 9
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
>>81259717
>browsing Twitter at the same time
>DC tweets BR:E promo
>reply is some asshole asking them not to kill Harper
>Her Twitter has reblogged Harper fan art

How do people have such bad taste
>>
>>81251200
What the heck is it about Snyder and using very exact and long quotes to describe what a series is saying? He did that for death of the family and for the other Joker story he did.
>>
I was hoping that Duke Thomas, like Harper Row, would just be forgotten and have small guest appearances. Now he's a freaking ward?

Crap.
>>
Honestly they should retire Bruce as Batman. Maybe have him go off rebuilding Batman Inc. Have Dick come back as BatDick & have BatDick make Damien likable again. Then when Damien is grown up he can take BatDick's mantle as Nightwing. Only then introduce someone new.
>>
Snyder says bruce always wanted duke and Harper as partners..the old robins are not good enough for batman.dick .is not his favorite partner it is duke :(
>>
>>81261473
We're never getting Dickbats again
>>
>>81261360
Duke was never going to go away
>>
>>81261608
Dick should adopt Damian..he is a good parent..that would be ok for me..Batman is dead to me,, Nightwing. and his baby Robin.
>>
>>81261620
I do not buy batman comics with Snyder pets..
>>
>>81250775
No, because Damian is getting shafted.
>>
>>81261744
He has two books, appearances guaranteed in every book. Bruce's orphan addiction doesn't stop him from being Bruce's son. And spamming our discussions doesn't stop Duke from existing, it's not like anyone here is happy about it either.
>>
>>81261812
I'm well aware. I was merely answering the question of anon that was in regards to the Damian shitposter. Notice my grasp on the English language, I can not possibly be that shitposter.
>>
>>81261812
I'm kinda happy about it
>>
>>81261360
The fact that Gotham allows Bruce to take in another teenager after Dick, Jason and Damian all died pretty publicly and violently may be the most unbelievable thing I've ever read.
>>
>>81261744
I'm not mad that duke robin. is I do not care.damian is cool robin or not.robin.I'm pissed -because damian separated from his father-He is only 10 years old.bruce ignored damian and he does not love him.
>>
>>81261876
Why? It's gonna wipe away all the interesting Things about how Duke is shown, he's gonna be a 'black' version of Tim/Jason and thats it. Maybe he'll get his parents back and go do his own thing. He's not a Robin because he technically not named Robin, so it's cool right? Like how Harper is technically not a Batgirl.

Seriously though at what point is Bruce taking in orphans and turning them into soldiers start becoming Talia or Mother? When it stops being the exception and starts being the rule, he doesn't end up looking good. Just like a ward-warrior factory.
>>
>>81261949
>I'm pissed -because damian separated from his father-He is only 10 years old.bruce ignored damian and he does not love him.
I know. That's what I'm trying to say. I don't like it either.
>>
Duke’s the worst character added to the Bat-Family since that retard who used to live in the batcave and fix Bruce Wayne’s cars in the early 90’s. the worst character added to the Bat-Family since that retard who used to live in the batcave and fix Bruce Wayne’s cars in the early 90’s.
>>
>>81261980
>he's gonna be a 'black' version of Tim/Jason
He's black Tim so hard.
>>
>>81261949
You don't know that Damian isn't living with Bruce alongside Duke? We don't know a thing other top than he is on the cover of Nightwing, the self proclaimed leader of the Titans and about to. E furiously shipped with Supermans kid.

Also Bruce has only really taken care of Damian for like less than a year himself.
>>
>>81261473
So you want it to be 2011 again
>>
>>81262021
>he doesn't want Harold back
Bad taste, anon
>>
>>81262032
>You don't know that Damian isn't living with Bruce alongside Duke?
He hasn't been mentioned by the folks writing Bruce at all.
>>
guys Dick he has made Damian robin- dick is the true real robin-only he can say who's robin.dick says damian is robin.
>>
>>81262128
No he didn't, Alfred did.
>>
>>81262094
I'm pretty sure King said part of the 1st arc is Damian being pissed about Duke being around, so he must be pretty close by.
>>
>>81262128
Christ that hurts to read
>>
>>81262094
King has said that he's going to write about how Damian is reacting to the Duke situation

>>81262023
>>81261980
They really should have just made Tim black in New52 butthren you get a Wallyfag situation
>>
>>81262032
King says no..the people of tumblr are right-bruce is a terrible father--
>>
>>81262155
>Damian finds name on his door replaced with Duke's
>>
>>81262155
He never said he was pissed. At the end of Robin War, which King wrote, Damian and Duke were getting on
>>
File: 2968460-4468576627-tumbl.png.jpg (165 KB, 454x700) Image search: [Google]
2968460-4468576627-tumbl.png.jpg
165 KB, 454x700
>>81262209
Batman has done it with dick-
>>
>>81262201
Bruce was always a terrible father, which you would know if you read any of his comic appearances with Damian. He took care of him for two arcs before he died, one of those arcs involved Damian getting kidnapped and beaten to a pulp before killing their adversary, and he was dead soon later. When Bruce asked his other dead son for tips how to bring him back, he got amnesia-d immediately after bringing him back
>>
>>81262178
>They really should have just made Tim black in New52 butthren you get a Wallyfag situation
well they can't do it with Jason having the 'criminal Robin' be black, would have Tumblr shredding itself about whether its problematic or not.
>>81262210
Thats my bad apparently its Snyder writing that

Looks like some new characters, but yeah, this is exciting. I was watching a interview Scott Snyder had about all star batman and he mentioned duke thomas and damian wayne play a big part in this book with damian reacting to bruce training duke or something. Should make for some good family drama.

>http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?72849-Rebirth-Batman-by-Tom-King
>>
I just hate the idea that anyone can put on a costume, have a silly backstory and blam! you've become a superhero. Batman trained most of his life to become the Bat. Then took those teachings and prepared the Robins, and with that in mind, he HAS THE ROBINS. There was no need for this new character, much less when he just lost another Robin and his son at that.
>>
yeah, I didn't like how easy it was being a bat family member, Dick and Jason went through hell in training.
>>
>>81262389
Dick and Tim definitely did, but I feel like I recall Jason's training getting kind of streamlined, and that was a big reason Tim had like 3 mini series devoted to his training: "never again."
>>
>>81262358
Tim, Jason and Stephanie need to be killed off.
>>
>>81261473

Have you read Robin: Son of Batman? Damian is growing into a good person.
>>
>>81262297
I think damian is better off without his shit father.
I think damian thinks the same..bruce is a drama queen..damian has enough.
GUYS can a 10 year old child live alone ?
>>
>>81262513
What is the point of killing Jason again?

And beside, Jason has his own book doing his own thing. It's not like he's burden on the batfamily (or dc) or stealing screen time of them.
>>
File: I'm just a hero for fun.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
I'm just a hero for fun.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>81261360
Duke is Harper done right.
Wasn't enforced to be loved by the fans and the characters within.
Not only that, King did the beginning and end of Robin War, and Duke was sweet in that.
>>
>>81262669
He's shit and there are too many bat brats.
>>
>>81262683

I hate ihm ...
>>
>>81262683
wait until he starts taking pages fanboys think should have gone to the other ex-Robins, then people will start to hate him.
>>
>>81262513
The answer to the bat family isn't to start killing everyone off, people need to stop suggesting it. The bat family was actually bigger in 2011 than it is now and everything worked perfectly, you just need to give everyone their niche (also no one can agree on who to kill.)
>>
>>81262669
Some guy spammed the phone lines, right? That's why.
>>81262625
He's been living alone most of his life and was traveling the world alone.

>>81262683
He was. But we're gonna lose all the cool unique things about him and the way he's not another one of Bruce's fucking kids.

Also honestly though, Damian is presented as a really broken kid in desperate need of focused love and attention for the first time in his life. That the emotional connection is probably necessary to keep him on the right path, but he's basically always by himself. It's kinda sad.
At least he is getting friendships in all his new books, his family doesn't really seem to pay uh attention to him
>>
>>81262716
He is a character that has been created in 80s when batman only had nightwing and Batgirl.

If you have a problem with batman having too many "bat brats", then they should get rid of the new ones instead.

It's not Jason who made the family overcrowded.
>>
>>81262790
>everything worked perfectly,
Who are you trying to fool? And what do you meanbigger? The Inc members? They were just supporting cast in one title.
>>
>>81262683
>Duke is Harper done right.
No he isn't. He's just a token black guy forced into the batfamily because it failed with Batwing and they really wanted a prominent black guy among the bats.

And even then it would be tolerable if he just stayed more in background, but making him another one of Bruce's wards is just retarded. At this point he's well on his way in being even shittier than Harper.
>>
>>81262913
Everything did work perfectly before the reboot. The bat family from 2009-11 was the best
>>
Dick, Jason, Duke/Tim/We Are Robin(not as Bruce's ward/sidekick) then Damian is a pretty sensible progression IMO
>>
>>81251513
All of his comics, except for Grayson, is below cancellation numbers. Grayson sells only due to Dick.
>>
>>81263050
Isn't the central family about similar size at the moment? The only new addition that comes to mind is Duke, as Harper pretty much retired at the end of the last B&R Eternal.
>>
>>81263280
Midnighter is basically part of the Batfam now, yeah?
>>
>>81263255
Damian sells well.
>>
>>81263280
the comic was boring..and stupid.
>>
>>81251513
Vision sold 19k for the first issue that marvel didnt give away for free
>>
>>81259081
Why aren't the mods banning her? You need to be over 18 to post on this stupid website.
>>
>>81263822
Because it's hard to tell if she's 14 or special needs.

>>81263280
I hope we never see her again. I mean we will but i really hope we wouldn't.
>>
>>81250001
I've fully accepted by this point that Damian is just Dick's son, cause clearly Bruce is a shitty father who doesn't care enough to spend time with his son.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.