[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do the Japs feel that the US is now making better toku series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (639 KB, 768x918) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
639 KB, 768x918
How do the Japs feel that the US is now making better toku series then them

Do you think the US can buy their more obscure properties and make them more accesable?
>>
>>81044890
>Do you think the US can buy their more obscure properties and make them more accesable.

You mean remove the charm a lot of old toku have. I would roll my eyes if they were to make a westernized Kamen rider movie only to joke about saying rider kick when attacking.
>>
>>81044890
Superhero movies are only like Japanese "toku" in the sense that they both use "special effects".

Japanese toku is the way it is specifically because of the preference for physical costumes and practical effects, TV series format, primarily child audience (not just manchild), and etc. One of the reasons the Attack on titan movie was well regarded (at least in the toku sense) was the way it brought out physical suit actors and whatnot to play the titans.

Also, Toei and co are not that interested in the global market (though they'll happily sell rights to Saban etc. to make local versions) because toku shows are part of the Japanese celebrity assembly line. They put in young stars for a year in a toku show, after which they graduate to solo careers and appear in commercials and whatnot.

for ex. there's a new drama on Netflix starring the guy who was in Kamen Rider wizard. On my vacation to japan last month I saw three commercials starring Fourze, and so on.

That's not really transferable outside Japan or even the overseas toku audience (which likes toku for the same reasons Japanese do), so outside of people maybe trying to make a mass-market hollywoodized power rangers movie or adapting kamen rider, there's little chance that Marvel or whoever would just "buy out" toku lines.
>>
>>81044890
The nearest equivalent to a 'toku' show would be Doctor Who and the Flash.

Believe me they aren't that good.
>>
>>81044890
Kamen Rider has been bad for a while, almost like Toei's pulling a Marvel and just started churning things out just to do it.

Ultraman is our last hope considering how good Ginga S and X were.
>>
>>81045102
Which drama?
>>
>>81044890
I love Cutie Widow.
>>
>>81045759
>Kamen Rider has been bad for a while, almost like Toei's pulling a Marvel and just started churning things out just to do it.
What!? Neo-Heisei era has been pretty solid, the one only that was definitive shit was Wizard.
>>
>>81046286
Good Morning Call. It's pure shoujo manga (and is in fact based on a shoujo manga).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6EGC8eA14

if you're looking to /jp/ it up, atelier is good soap and happens to be a netflix original

>>81045759
I recently went on a heisei binge, and I've actually liked more post-Decade shows than pre-Decade ones, fwiw.
>>
>>81044890
Not relevant because no one gives a shit about toku movies unless it's some kind of "all the suits from everywhen" anniversary show. By contrast w/ comic book stuff it's the movies that carry most of the commercial weight.
>>
Ill be honest, majority of Super Hero TV-Series from Japan are for children or LOOK like they're for children. Their costumes look like cheap, plastic toys you get at your Local Toy Store.

Now comics, majority of people, like with video games, feel that they're for children too but comics have a far more mature curve then non-mature one. Not all but a large percentage.

Black Kamen Rider from the 80s and that one movie with the crazy symbiote suit from the 90s I think are probably what might interest Western Audiences.

Just my opinion though
>>
>>81049867
Because they are for children. The slang term for them among some fans is "clock shows", because they air at the times in the morning when Japanese TV channels plaster a fat clock in the corner so you're not late for school. They're the "Saturday Morning Cartoons" in Japan and air alongside stuff like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.

There are some toku shows that skew older. Garo, for example, or limited projects/parodies like Akibaranger or even indie deals like Gun Caliber, etc. And then of course the big names like Kamen rider and Super Sentai and Ultraman have been around long enough that there's non-trivial adult fanbase.

The big difference between toku in Japan and comic book fandom in the west is that toku shows for the most part didn't aim to "grow up" with their original fans, instead choosing to appeal to their selected age brackets and let people age out. As far as Toei and the like are concerned their tokusatsu shows are meant for children. Anyone who gets into it is a happy side effect that occasionally gets pandered to when they bring some old actor in or do an appearance by the Showa Riders or whatever.
>>
File: American Sentai Captaingers.png (17 KB, 1341x191) Image search: [Google]
American Sentai Captaingers.png
17 KB, 1341x191
>>81044890
AMERICA SENTAI!
CAPTAINGERS!
>>
>>81044890
I recognize most of these, but who are Thor and Hawkeye being mixed with here?

Are they anyone specific are just other Kamen Riders?

Forgive me, my Toku-fu is extremely weak.
>>
>>81050890
Thor is wearing the cape and V or Akaranger.

Can't place Hawkeye from the armor, but it looks similar to one of the shurikenger/gouraiger designs.
>>
>>81050890
Thor looks like he's Akarenger from Gorenger. Hawkeye is Jiraiya from World Ninja Jiraiya
>>
>>81050890
>>81050999

Hawkeye is Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya
>>
>>81044890
What

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr6O3ch50WY

It's kind of a letdown that Marvel and DC can never do something similar because their older heroes either die off or get continuously published, not to mention Japan has been pumping out shows in the same franchises for decades.
>>
File: 1458621757147.jpg (167 KB, 885x772) Image search: [Google]
1458621757147.jpg
167 KB, 885x772
>>81051542
>great battle legend war
>>
>>81045102
>current day toku
>practical effects
Mate, no
>>
>>81051939
I think he means using physical costumes, suit actors, martial arts and toyetic props over having everything be CGI.

There's plenty of CG effects in toku now but it hasn't replaced stunt work and spandex to the extent that it has elsewhere.
>>
>>81051813
Great Battle is the subtitle of the movie this version of the Legend War is from
>>
>>81049150
>Neo-Heisei era
Stopped reading there. No such thing
>>
>>81049867
I think your from Brazil
>>
>>81053261
I think he just means riders in the last 5 years or so since KR took a break through the 90s
>>
>>81044929
Well, Japan itself already did that with THE FIRST and THE NEXT. Hopefully someone watched those and saw it doesn't work.
Which is a shame, because those suits were damn sexy.
>>
>>81049150
W was the last truly great one. The following ones might've had one or more entertaining parts but are bad overall.
>>
>>81054588
Certainly better than Hongo's Dark Knight Returns suit now.
>>
>>81054645
Fuck you, Fourze was awesome and frankly I didn't even think something like Gaim was possible. Everything on Butcher Bingo bar lesbians.

Wizard was flat but I did like mayo lion

Haven't seen OOO though.
>>
File: Kamen Rider Drive Type Speed.webm (2 MB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
Kamen Rider Drive Type Speed.webm
2 MB, 1080x608
>>81044890
I will continue to repeat this.
Kamen Rider Drive is probably the best bet for there to be a localized American Rider. It hits all the right notes.
>Cars
>Red
>Transforming gimmick with accessory
>Great fighti scenes
>robot companion built into belt
Everything is there, the only thing needed is decent writing, but that alone is a pipe dream.
>>
>>81054809
Too bad the suit and transforming gimmicks are shit.
>>
>>81054809
I didn't see a lot of drive, but I did fucking love the one part where he did the wheel-switching thing, and as the old wheel popped off the camera cut to the monster being hit by a random tire.

That was great.
>>
File: Kamen Rider Drive Rider Kick.webm (3 MB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
Kamen Rider Drive Rider Kick.webm
3 MB, 1080x608
>>81054905
I honestly loved the tire gimmick, but it suffers from Fourze-Syndrome:
Too many gimmicks, most only used once.
Double had gimmicks, but it restrained itself with them and used every Gaia Memory available multiple times. It added variety to the fights it's with it's combos.
>>
>>81054724
>Fourze was awesome

End this meme please. Fourze literally fell into every single pitfall it could in the latter half of the track. It set itself up well at the start, but did not give the premise nor the beginning of the series any of the justice it deserved.
>>
>>81055104
No u
>>
File: 52589689_p0.jpg (346 KB, 600x869) Image search: [Google]
52589689_p0.jpg
346 KB, 600x869
Kamen Rider is a series for children. It airs on Sunday mornings just before Precure. Can't really compare it to a manchild thing like Marvel.
>>
File: 1280963444548.png (485 KB, 1022x438) Image search: [Google]
1280963444548.png
485 KB, 1022x438
>>81055833
>Decade
>Not Shin
Casual
>>
>>81045102
>>81045618
dude

https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/特撮テレビ番組一覧
>>
>>81051542
That was sexy
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.