[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished reading this epic story I kinda felt sorry for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9
File: 7016032235329.png (1 MB, 1080x956) Image search: [Google]
7016032235329.png
1 MB, 1080x956
Just finished reading this epic story
I kinda felt sorry for him in the end
How come no one ever talks about him?
Also why did it go so deep into religion. I know he wanted to vent out his views and it does get interesting but maybe who could've taken another route
>>
>>80988420
>How come no one ever talks about him?
Because the series is intimidatingly large and there's not a movie or tv show to rope people in. Also Sim is a very polarizing/mercurial figure.

>why did it go so deep into religion
Sim's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness; he's gonna do what HE wants to do at any given time. He converted to Abrahamic monotheism in...97(?) after reading a bunch of religious texts as research for Cerebus.

I've read through about #200 sequentially, and bits and pieces of Going Home and Latter Days. Personally I prefer Finding YHWH to stuff like Melmoth and Guys, but nothing tops the first ~100 or so issues.
>>
>>80990027
It's 100% Sim.

Cerebus can be really good at times, but you can't ignore that he's such an insufferable idiot when he uses his work as an outlet for his rants.
>>
File: Alf.jpg (20 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
Alf.jpg
20 KB, 350x262
>>80988420
Is that Alf?
>>
Dave Sim was diagnosed with schizophrenia back in the seventies. He refused treatment, and his condition worsened with time. Chasing YHWH is the gospel that he legitimately believes, and which he felt needed to be explained to the world so that we sheeple can all wake up and start believing it too.

>I kinda felt sorry for him in the end
He's still a rapist and a baby-murderer.
>>
Couldn't find a nice DDL
>>
>>80991154
Cerebus the Aardvark #001-300, by Dave Sim and Gerhard

https://www.mediafire.com/?buant4il44b2b
>>
File: 1446495281363.png (17 KB, 210x215) Image search: [Google]
1446495281363.png
17 KB, 210x215
>>80991212
wew thanks
>>
>>80991133
>this pasta
>HE'S a rapist and a baby murderer
now post the two pages. you always post the two pages from church and state. where are they?
>>
>>80988420
The Unfunnies? download link when?
>>
File: CEREBUS_99_00_ifc.jpg (308 KB, 995x1476) Image search: [Google]
CEREBUS_99_00_ifc.jpg
308 KB, 995x1476
>>80991269
Sim on the "rape scene," from the opening comment of issue #99
>>
File: Cerebus_102_21_AC.jpg (422 KB, 1200x1822) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus_102_21_AC.jpg
422 KB, 1200x1822
>>80991292
Dave then devotes the entirety of the #102 letters page to the responses from women. No comment from Dave.
>>
File: Cerebus_102_22_AC.jpg (452 KB, 1200x1827) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus_102_22_AC.jpg
452 KB, 1200x1827
>>80991353
many of the points raised about Dave in these letters I agree with. The special comment and letters page of Cerebus could sometimes read like the proverbial "boys club" that modern sjws paint comics as. Joke "characters" like Connie Lingus peppered the letters page and Dave punctuated most response to women with "babe" or "princess" or "sweetheart."
>>
File: Cerebus_102_23_AC.jpg (438 KB, 1200x1832) Image search: [Google]
Cerebus_102_23_AC.jpg
438 KB, 1200x1832
Publishing these letters sans-comment is probably the most humble thing Dave had ever done at that point. It doesn't seem like much but it really should be noted as out of the ordinary.
>>
I didn't get past #200. The third part of this massive story is just too damn daunting, knowing ahead about all the bullshit there is in that 100. I always consider re-starting, but I just can't.
>>
>>80988420
>I kinda felt sorry for him in the end

You really shouldn't feel to bad. Keep in mind all the terrible things he did in his life, not to mention how he turned his back on his beliefs several times in his life just to get some pussy.

>How come no one ever talks about him?

Because feminism is holding journalism and scholarship by the balls, and if you disagree with any of the 16 Impossible Things to believe before breakfast you are put into the intellectual ghetto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx7RUcwAQ3E

Fifteen Impossible Things to Believe Before Breakfast
http://momentofcerebus.blogspot.ca/2011/11/fifteen-impossible-things-to-believe.html

>Also why did it go so deep into religion. I know he wanted to vent out his views and it does get interesting but maybe who could've taken another route

I think he always had an obsessive personality, and he was always a small c conservative to idolized people like Thatcher and Regan, except that he liked Drugs, Alcohol and Pussy and since they where against that he begrudgingly was against them. I've often noticed how some of the most hardcore Christians have been prostitutes, drug users, ect. at one time in their life.
>>
>>80991050
wew
>>
>>80991269
>pasta
http://desustorage.org/co/search/text/%22Dave%20Sim%20was%20diagnosed%20with%20schizophrenia%20back%20in%20the%20seventies.%22
>1 result found

It's an original post, not pasta.

Now go ahead, backpedal and claim that you meant some other definition of "pasta". Maybe it's pasta because it _resembles_ some other post. Maybe it's pasta because it _reminds_ you of some other post.

Go ahead, live in your own fantasy world, because the real world doesn't conform to your special little narrative.

By the way, Dave Sim freely admits that he was diagnosed with schizophrenia.
>Assuming (for the sake of argument) that I’m crazy and everyone else is sane, what genuine, verifiable, objectively real foundation is your sanity based on? What, objectively speaking (or subjectively, if we’re being honest here), lends that foundation validity? The thing which lends validity to my schizophrenia (I was diagnosed as a “borderline schizophrenic” in 1979 and I think it is reasonable to assume that the condition has “worsened” in the interim) is the fact that I can make a living from it. In a capitalistic society founded upon “choice” as an absolute, that gives me a certain “real” world impunity.
He disputes the validity of the diagnosis, but he doesn't dispute that the diagnosis itself occurred.
>>
>>80991653
> the most hardcore anti-smokers are ex-smokers
That's the story of the Catholic church since before day one. My favourite example is the doctor of the church St. Augustine ("As a youth I had prayed to you for chastity and said give me chastity & continence but not yet"), and the office of pope started with St. Paul (who was named Saul) who converted during his journey to Damascus.

Whatever happened to Dave SIm's plan to get time on community teevee to do weekly readings from the Bible?
>>
>>80991761
>getting this mad when someone calls your post pasta
where are the pages from #65 and #94?
>>
>>80992138
You could at least acknowledge that you were wrong (because you don't bother to do any research).

Please, don't participate if you're only going to spread misinformation.
>>
>>80991761
I have to say, that man sounds eloquent and intelligent. Crazy, but definitely outspoken.
>>
>>80991653
People always talk about how crazy Sim is, and I see how they could get that impression from reading some of his earlier writings, but just listening to him talk (he posts regular videos to his channel) you can see he's actually a very measured, coherent guy who just has controversial opinions. Like he says, his beliefs and ideas aren't hateful at all. This tendency to brand people who believe something which runs contrary to the current popular thinking "insane" is the exact sort of irrational shit he's talking about.

At the time he wrote them he might have seemed a bit unhinged, but those fifteen impossible things are becoming more and more unquestionable in western society, despite their obvious shortcomings. Especially the absolute hypocrisy of 6 and 10, which I cannot believe so many people seem to think are perfectly reasonable.
>>
File: berlin_wall_graphitti.jpg (175 KB, 1004x650) Image search: [Google]
berlin_wall_graphitti.jpg
175 KB, 1004x650
Cerebus was drawn on to the Berlin wall.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.