[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was wondering why is it in the cases of Superman and to a lesser
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: somethingsmissing.jpg (2 MB, 1449x837) Image search: [Google]
somethingsmissing.jpg
2 MB, 1449x837
I was wondering why is it in the cases of Superman and to a lesser extent Batman people try to argue that Trunks are better than no trunks in a way that is objective rather than personal preference, yet i've never heard anyone bitch about any of the characters here for those same reasons.

Mind you punisher has a bit more skull going down to his waist, but beyond him they're all mostly single colored unitards with splashes of a different color up top (if even that at all).
Yet with Superman again and again I always hear 'it isn't personal preference. The trunks make it so he isn't just one color and break things up' as if that is a requirement for good super hero costume design.

So is it all these heroes have shit looks, or is it that the people saying Superman 'needs' trunks just prefer the trunks because it is what they know and like? But for some reason just never complain about any of these other characters who also don't wear trunks but have mostly single colored unitards.
>>
>>80908057
Superman and Batman are more iconic.
>>
>>80908332
Well obviously. I mean its why i prefer the trunks on them myself. It's just how i know them.
But the arguments I see aren't just that, i'm speaking about the people who objectively feel the lack of trunks is aesthetically worse than having them.
>>
File: you are a dumbass.png (899 KB, 800x1160) Image search: [Google]
you are a dumbass.png
899 KB, 800x1160
> I always hear 'it isn't personal preference. The trunks make it so he isn't just one color and break things up' as if that is a requirement for good super hero costume design.

It's not a requirement, but if they look better, why would you not use them? (before you stick your dick up my ass, no, I am not talking about other characters) They work better on Supes than pretty much every other character, because they fit symmetrically with the S shield.

I thought this was common knowledge, why does /co/ need to be spoonfed everything so fucking much lately?
>>
>>80908974
So they should be on superman...because triangle shaped?

I want you to reread what you said and honestly tell me that isn't just a stretch in the desire to explain why it makes sense when its clearly just personal preference. Because it sounds grasping at straws.
>>
File: 1457995378072.gif (829 KB, 485x282) Image search: [Google]
1457995378072.gif
829 KB, 485x282
>>80909069

> So they should be on superman...because triangle shaped?

I literally said symmetry in my comment. Most people enjoy things that are easy to look at, and having repeated shapes/colors/themes is a way of doing so.

What else do you fucking expect people to say? There really isn't a lot to it.

- personal preference / iconic status
- symmetry
- they break the blue up so he doesn't look completely like generic Superhero #6

They're underwear, stop expecting a fucking thesis about them.
>>
>>80908974
>why does /co/ need to be spoonfed everything so fucking much lately?

The movie is coming out soon
>>
>>80909247
I honestly think people could give a flying fuck about the symmetry between his underpants and his insignia. I wanted to see if there were any sound objective reasons why trunks is better beyond preference but what your saying just reads like so much bullshit used to paint in the logic after the opinions been formed.

If people are like 'its classic, its iconic, its what i know, i just prefer it' yeah cool fine fuck it. But you just sound like you (and i assume others) noticed his trunks and insignia are similarly shaped and just decided to go 'yep there, thats why' without it actually having shit to do with it.
>>
>>80908057

its nostalgia posing as "objectivity".
>>
File: 1454575722828.jpg (13 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1454575722828.jpg
13 KB, 320x240
>>80909403
While yes, the symmetry is not something I think of when I wonder what I enjoy about Superman, my point about them fitting a persons natural response to color balance and whether or not something is easy on the eyes, is completely valid.

Aside from that, once again, what the fuck else do you expect me or anyone to say about them? There is NOTHING ELSE to say. It's 99.9% just personal preference, and when someone provides you with probably the only halfway legitimate answer you're going to get, you freak the fuck out. Why did you even start the thread?
>>
>>80909674
If its 99.9 percent personal preference your bullshit isn't exactly halfway to being legitimate. Nor am i freaking the fuck out, simply pointing out that the logic is bullshit. Who gives a fuck what i'm expecting....if you don't have anything of real substance to add you're just jabbering to be heard. I see the argument made that the trunks are aesthetically better. Well what I guess i'm expecting are any people who believe that is the case to (assuming they see this thread) give some reasoning of how.
>>
File: 1454573526211.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1454573526211.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>80909951
this guy is a fruitcake.

Mods please remove this thread.

I literally gave you what you want. The trunks wouldn't work half as well if the S Shield was, for example, a square shape, or a circle. It matches the trunks, and not having them is less aesthetically pleasing. That's it. There is nothing else anyone can add because there is nothing else to add, unless you are talking in universe, in which case, pockets for storage.

> I see the argument made that the trunks are aesthetically better

okay

> Well what I guess i'm expecting are any people to give some reasoning of how.

Symmetry, colour balance. There is your reason. If you try really hard, maybe, just maybe, you will get that through your thick as fuck skull.
>>
>>80908057
Black Panther, Moon Knight, Daredevil, and the other cat guy that I can't remember the name all work because they're monochrome, they don't have to balance boots and a cape of different color. Also three of them use dark colors instead of bright ones and the fourth uses pure white. You can't go wrong with wearing black or white.

Fantastic Four works because of the belt matching the collar, boots and gloves, plus their simbol is not a different, hotter color.

Electron is not mnocolor, his chest is divided between red and blue, and his boots and gloves are of different colors. He really has nothing to do with that image, and you're a retard for utting him here.

Punisher worksbecause he is just black and white, instead of bright colors, and his symbol usually goes all the way to his stomach.

Captain Atom works because he isn't a solid color, he's a mettalic color so the colorist can break the color with shining spots and te light play.

Flash works because he's not mixing hot colors like red and yellow with cool colors like blue. Also the lighting shapes instead of straight lines helps break the cloth patterns. It's the same reason why Batman Beyond works as solid blck with some red, but Batman needs the speedo to break the gray if he has a blue cape and cowl or a yellow symbol and belt. Batman with black and grey and a more muted yellow on the belt doesn't need the briefs. It still looks cool, but it's less necessary.

Finally Red Tornado works because he doesn't have gloves, boots or even a different color on his head. Opposite to Supes, he is maining hot colors and using blue as an accent, instead of maining a cool color and trying to accent with hot ones.

>So is it all these heroes have shit looks, or is it that the people saying Superman 'needs' trunks just prefer the trunks because it is what they know and like?
Neither, you just have no design experience, artistic ability, or good taste.
>>
>>80908332
>>80909570
basically this
>>
>>80910621
>Neither, you just have no design experience, artistic ability, or good taste.

This desu
>>
File: 1442441866697.jpg (71 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
1442441866697.jpg
71 KB, 500x680
>That feeling when you pimpslap OP shit with your knowledge and reason so hard he disappears from a thread he was responding every ten minutes.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.