[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this allowed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: DDvsSG.png (259 KB, 752x565) Image search: [Google]
DDvsSG.png
259 KB, 752x565
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>80887138
It's an aggregate review site that primarily counts whether a review was positive or negative and separates critic reviews from audience reviews.

You see Supergirl got and gets a lot of positive critical press even if there's a smaller audience less invested in seeing it. Daredevil also gets a lot of positive press, but this season has been criticized for not being the equal of season 1, so there are more negative reviews among the smaller pool taken account of.

I hope I've helped you to understand Rotten Tomatoes with this post OP.
>>
>>80887138
thanks for providing company war ammo, bucko!
>>
>>80887167
Incidentally this is why people who use "it got X % on RT" as a measure of quality are fucking retarded. A movie could be steadily above average but entirely unexceptional and get 95% on RT. Though the whole idea of a numerical score review is bankrupt in the first place.
>>
>>80887138
Look at the average rating, they're not so different. Understanding how RT works is not difficult.
>>
>>80887138
Because serious reviewers don't even bother with supergirl
>>
Challenging work gets more meddling reviews man.

Otherwise it wouldn't be challenging.

I love a lot of uneversally approved stuff.

But also art that isnt as liked by everyone.
>>
>>80887138
>Daredevil also gets a lot of positive press, but this season has been criticized for not being the equal of season 1
More than that people are rarely able to take into account novelty and how it affects their views. Part of the reason DD S1 got such rave reviews is because it was an R-rated violent cape TV show and people hadn't seen that. Now they have and there's also been Jessica Jones, so there's not as much novelty. That being said I'm on s2e11 and I think it holds up, even though the plot is a bit more discheveled.

Super not!Ugly Betty however is a novel aspect to most viewers, more than the campy side that was also represented by Arrow and Flash, it's basically an office romantic comedy with superhero elements to it, or vice versa. And I imagine that's refreshing to reviewers.

Also note the average rating, which is what "matters" anyway (as far as RT scores matter).

On the viewers' side of things, well you got your die-hard fans for DD (802 reviews in 2 days and almost perfect score says something isn't right, here) and people who thought "oh hey, another cape TV show" for Supergirl and were disappointed. At least that's my uneducated interpretation of those numbers.
>>
>>80887279
Part of the problem for me (I'm on Ep7) is that the Daredevil and Elektra parts are fucking boring. I have no comic book investment in the Punisher but he just steals every scene he is in.
>>
>>80887337
Im kind of annoyed how it's basically "origin stories : the show" at this point.
Matt wasn't interesting in season 1 either imo, but yeah the whole Hand/Chase subplot really isn't that great either.

I had no comic book investment in any of those characters prior.
>>
>>80887138

Supergirl is entertaining and fun and in it's first season. Daredevil has a slow pace and takes itself very seriously, it's still good but I don't think it's as great as /co/ thinks.
>>
>>80887337
I loved both of the main plot-lines but this seems to a point of contention among fans and reviews. A lot people either like the Frankplot and hate the Handplot or vise versa. Maybe having two mostly unconnected plots so different in tone and subject matter was a mistake.
>>
Can we have a company war supply thread?

I need to stock up.

Post anything you've got
>>
>>80887463
Oh yeah also the chick who plays Elektra (or her stunt double, wtv) really isn't as good in fight scenes as DD or Punisher. That wasn't much of a problem for Kingpin (D'Onofrio just sort of flailed around and "jumped" an inch off the ground at people) since his threat was more mental than physical.
I hope the Iron Fist show is a bit brighter because I'm tired of this can't see shit lighting.
>>
>>80887515
>>
>>80887506
>so different in tone and subject matter was a mistake.
I may be dense but how are they widely different?
They both deal with organized crime and how it treats people, both its victims and part-takers. Also some vague notion of "does the end justify the means" when fighting evil, notably in terms of collateral damage.
>>
>>80887167
>>80887188
The Fresh/Rotten score is entirely separate from the actual numerical or star score too.
>>
>>80887603
Well the Frank plot is pretty grounded for the most part, whereas the Hand bring a bunch of mystical stuff with them. I know that's how it was in the comics, but they feel somewhat out of place in the grittier grounded world of the TV show.
>>
>>80887138
>52%
Supergirl is the Chosen One.
>>
File: Kino_vs_Flick.jpg (196 KB, 1200x602) Image search: [Google]
Kino_vs_Flick.jpg
196 KB, 1200x602
>>80887515
>>
>>80887515
>>
File: DC vs. Marvel Mutants.jpg (198 KB, 1061x601) Image search: [Google]
DC vs. Marvel Mutants.jpg
198 KB, 1061x601
>>80887769
>>
>>80887138
>75% critic review 95% audience review

>97% critic review 52% audience review

Why do people take this site seriously again?
>>
>>80887733
>grounded
This word again. We're talking about the story of a blind irish ninja with supersenses who was (which we know from s1) trained by a shady old blind man with weird mystical ties, here.
But I understand what you mean.
>>
>>80887138
Because DD season 2 was rated compared to DD season 1, not Supergirl.
>>
>>80887138
daredevil is overrated by fans of the source material, but tv critics are generally more lenient.

Also the tomatometer is a % of critics that liked the movies, I think it's suppose to mean the chance that YOU will like the movie. But obviously there are cases (more often than not) where audiences and critics opinions don't line up, like Man of Steel or some oscar bait films.
>>
>>80887240
>Challenging work gets more meddling reviews man.
so, MoS?
>>
>>80887240
>>80887888
Neither DD nor MoS are challenging, stop it.
>>
well i haven't watched supergirl but i'm 9 episodes into DD season 2 and it really is a bore compared to season 1, so i'm not surprised.
>>
>>80887882
Bitch, please.
No one who at least read Miller's DD thinks that show is anything but a watered down, shitty adaptation.
It's casual "I want everything to be dark and edgy like The Dark Knight because I think it means quality" crowd pisses their pants over that mediocre show. Especially because for all its flaws the show IS better than any other live-action TV capeshit we have.
Sad as it seems.
>>
Very few anons in this thread are addressing the fact that DD is objectively a better show than Supergirl.
>>
>>80888008
Because that's like claiming you're smarter than a retard.
>>
>>80887138
Because Dare Devil should be renamed to Frank The Punisher since he was better than Dare Devil
>>
>>80888008
I imagine most people ITT haven't even given Supergirl a watch. That's my case.
>>
>>80887769
Isn't the destruction of Metropolis the main driving force behind Superman and Batman's battle in Dawn of Justice?
>>
>>80887138
Is it even worth listening to this site? Where do they get the audience score by the way?
>>
>>80888120
Pretty much this, as soon as I saw the trailer and realised they had literally made 'The Devil Wears Prada - Supergirl Edition', and that they made Jimmy Olsen a big buff black guy for some fucking reason?
That was enough for me to bow out.
>>
>>80888804
Users can rate things and write their own reviews.
>>
>>80888184
No idea what you're talking about but that image is supposed to represent the comics and is really old, like pre DC new 52 old.
>>
DC >>> Marvel
>>
>>80888817
That's definitely a good description for the first few episodes, but after episode 6 or so it stops being shit. Not amazing, but I'd say it's around CW tier
>>
>>80889167
Fair enough, I'll probably never end up watching it, but atleast it isn't a complete waste.
>>
>>80887767
I want /tv/ and its shit memes to leave.
>>
>>80889167
>but I'd say it's around CW tier
That's terrible to hear you realize
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.