[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hickman's N/A
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
How would you have done it? Such a great idea ruined by bad execution.
>>
Don't make Captain America and Iron Man utterly irrelevant in the resolution.

Don't leave Doctor Doom on the back burner for the whole story until Secret Wars.

Don't introduce the Molecule Man and the Beyonders 3/4ths of the way through, and then keep them from interacting with the heroes much at all!
>>
>>80637711
What was even the point of Avengers?

And like 80% of New Avengers?
>>
The biggest problem with this run that it had so many subplots that had no payoffs. I mean, Namor and T'Challa had this huge rivalry which is handled off panel during Secret Wars. Cannonball and Smasher had a baby who had powers...which didn't mean anything. They even gave the baby to Pod to survive the incursion, and yet NOTHING came of that plot.

But you want to know what the biggest fault of this run was?

It was all about Dr. Doom in the end.

A character who was absent for 2/3rds of the entire run just suddenly becomes the centerpiece of everything, and turns what should have been an amazing event into "Dr. Doom is god, you must bow to him" really disappoints me. I thought Hickman was laying the way to something new and grand, and instead just made it another "A villain gains godlike power" storyline.

Maybe if Hickman spent more time focusing on a tighter story and instead of having a story arc of Cap going to the future, (Which I remind you accomplished NOTHING in the long run!), then we could have had a more amazing run. Instead we just got 70% pointless stories, and then Dr. Doom wanking.

Oh, and what was with building up Black Swan so much just to have her get crushed by Groot?
>>
>>80637711
Not retread Civil War. Have it be about heroism in defeat. Force Marvel heroes to confront there lack of heroic qualities. Also not delay SW nine months
>>
If Hackman is unable to indulge his gore fetish he loses focus and just writes in circles. It's been shown time and again he can't get shit done without wank fodder.
>>
>tfw you unironically enjoyed Hickman's N/A/I, even with the inconsistencies and the dumpster fire that was Secret Wars
I guess I'm just a sucker for long, epic-in-scope storytelling involving superheroes.
>>
>>80638600
And the arcs that didn't pay off in the long run didn't even have the kind of character development/banter/etc. that would have made them worthwhile in and of themselves. Everything was so endloaded, and the end was all Doom.
>>
>>80639199
Marvel should have just let it be one event( or was it going to be a FF thing? I forget.) Not two pointless runs.
>>
>>80639093
It's the best since Busiek and pretty damn enjoyable, it just doesn't hold up to intense month to month analysis (like almost every single superhero comic book).
>>
Completely scrapping the avengers is probably the best way
It's so dense, yet so meaningless
Literally nobody gives a shot about the mountain of development AIM is given
Just give new avengers a few more months to set up doom being important earlier and it would be perfect
>>
More foreshadowing and less past referencing.

Three years in and it felt like I was reading the stories he already wrote, so everything new kind of unfazed me. It felt like the Beyonders and Molecule Man came out of nowhere, instead of being the looming threat in the background it should have been (intended to have the same effect as Sutur's single page appearances in Simonson's Thor run, I imagine)

I felt like some really basic things in the beginning were written as far more high sci-fi than the concepts actually were. I still don't really understand the *point* of certain characters. It felt less like mythology-building and more like cool ideas mashed together into a semblance of a long-form narrative. It wasn't bad, but it was clunky.
>>
>>80639257
That was the original plan
>>
>>80639295
Its Marvel Countdown
>>
>>80640397
underrated post
>>
Show, don't tell.

Have contained stories building up to a larger event that still manage to have satisfying climaxes in and of themselves that don't just anti-climax into promises that that thing they're building up to will be really cool we swear really please keep giving us $4 a pop
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.