[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Inside your body could be a map to a whole new world >Genetic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
>Inside your body could be a map to a whole new world
>Genetic therapies,vaccines,medicines,treasures buried deep within your cells
>And we cannot risk losing everything because you want to go out and play hero

The crazy stalker from the future is right. Why is it when folks get powers they put on costumes and fight anobynously instead of having there bodies studied. Imagine how many more people would be saved if Peter Parker went out and said "Hey guys Spider+Neogenic Radiation= Powers" even aside the help for firefighters and rescue workers look at the medical potential for injured and diseased people.

Hell why dont folks with powers go into constitution or help out with Space flight or any other of the countless uses. And dont tell me it wouldnt make a good story , films and tv shows and narratives from all history have people with powers beyond mortal ken, and even if that was true good writing means your story needs to make sense from the pov of the characters in it you cant have people acting stupidly or ooc with no other reason than "I need the plot to go this way" thats fiat hackey
>>
File: 1291934123045.jpg (67 KB, 323x347) Image search: [Google]
1291934123045.jpg
67 KB, 323x347
>>80539780
Well, in the case of Spider-Man and Flash at least, how they got their powers was basically a billion to one chance.

Getting bitten by a radioactive spider COULD give you powers...or more likely just give you super cancer.

Plus, it's often implied that people who get powers from this shit had some special genetic thing that activated or reacted specifically to this event or some shit.

At least those things used to be the reason. Now that we have five Hulks, ten Flashes and about six hundred Spider-Mans, maybe it isn't the case anymore and they are just selfish assholes.
>>
File: YKaqaTH.jpg (65 KB, 813x960) Image search: [Google]
YKaqaTH.jpg
65 KB, 813x960
Not everybody wants to be an astronaut or a surgeon. If you got superpowers would your first thought be "I want to become a firefighter"? I'm sure some heroes lend their powers and tech to actual scientists like Richards and Pym but widespread distribution of superpowers doesn't ever really work
>>
>>80539780
>>80539904
There's been literally a gazillion iterations where some noble superhero decided to give their powers up for research or whatever only for the evil gubmint to turn them into their own human weapon instead.

That's why superheroes don't do it.
>>
we all know the real reason powers are not successfully studied and reproduced on a large scale
it'd change the genre from cape comic to scifi/fantasy comic because that sort of development would radically change global society.
>>
And to think All-Star Superman was so foolish to trust man with his DNA while he fixes the sun. I bet he comes back to a world ruled by a Superman or a wasteland.
>>
>>80539780
hey, the lab still has all the spiders. if they wanted to genetically engineer people, they could. people don't want that.
>>
>>80539904
>>80540012
>>80540020
on the money
>>
File: 1283744600603.jpg (215 KB, 1000x812) Image search: [Google]
1283744600603.jpg
215 KB, 1000x812
>>80539935
>Not everybody wants to be an astronaut or a surgeon.

You probably wouldn't even BE 'just an austronaut' or 'just a surgeon' .

You'd be 70% of the NASA budget just hiring for and caring for you... and it would be economically worth if for them to spent millions and more hiring a flying brick super to power-lift shit into orbit on a weekly basis or install new modules to orbitals.

You wouldn't be a surgeon if you had healing powers, you'd be worshiped as a god, or at the very least as a sort of saint or divinely touched. You'd have cancer patients and people with terminal and painful diseases willing to dedicate their lives to serving you.

>>80540020
>it'd change the genre from cape comic to scifi/fantasy comic because that sort of development would radically change global society.

Is correct though. Capes rely on the status quo, the invisible war, the heroic underdog and everyman. In a world where Capes take off the mask the truth we'd find underneath is uglier and decidedly 'un-American'. 'All Men are created Equal', becomes nothing more than a joke in fancy calligraphy.

The world would be redivided into dynasties and feudal compacts of Normal Serfs, Street-Level Knights and Bannermen, B-list Lords, and A-list Kings by Divine Mandate.
>>
>>80539780
Name ONE TIME a hero ever gave up his powers to be used by society at large and it didn't backfire horribly. I literally have a stack of "What ifs" over there with this exact premise.

It makes fine stories, some of these are really good(I actually really like the "What if Iron Man sold out" issue, it was a little hackneyed with the Magneto bit at the end but on the whole it painted a nice picture), but the problem is they are the sort of things that causes an END to stories, because they're limited in how they can be continued, if they can be continued at all.

Why do you think the "Everyone is a Hulk/Spider-man/Stiltman" stories are big events that get undone at the end? They're too big a change to be sustained without a universe reboot.
>>
>>80541979
>I literally have a stack of "What ifs" over there with this exact premise.
I don't believe you
>>
>>80539904

>Well, in the case of Spider-Man and Flash at least, how they got their powers was basically a billion to one chance.

This. They tried to recreate Spiderman and Daredevil. Almost all of those were failures.
>>
>>80539780
i think it should be said that the crazy stalker from the future used his powers, the same set as the Flash's, to go back in time and kill the Flash a fucking child.
>>
>>80544116
He needed the flash to get fast enough to be able to send him back to his own time
Thats like, the main plot point
>>
>>80541979
Anti-Venom during Spider-Island.
>>
>>80540012
That sounds like a really cheap cop out
>>
>>80539935
If I got powers my first thought would be to come out, and let science use them to improve human life a kajillion fold.

Also that guy is a villain. Spider-man is all about Responsibility. how responsible is it to joy ride when he is basically hording the secret formula to essential wipe out infirmity as we know it
>>
>>80541809
Actually it would eb somewhat like Marvel or DC.

Both universes are already sci fi fantasy settings most stories just gloss over the effects.

The occasional X men book or the like goes into it.

Its one reason why I ,loved YJ, It's universe was very well defined and made internal logic
>>
>>80539780
>Spider+Neogenic Radiation= Powers
That is not true though and one of Spider-Mans biggest stories arcs, Eugenic Nightmare. Some of his most popular Villains are results of this. Rhino, Lizard, Morbius.

Parker was very VERY luck he didnt just turn into Man-Spider instantly and become a monster. He had time to work with Dr.Connors and fix it.

But i agree, Superman needs to be studied so we can replicate his Cellular yellow sun absorption so we can make super organic batteries.
>>
>>80540020
Right. And that would demand the writers to pour actual effort and brains into what they write.
>>
>>80541979
Thats just shitty writers using a crutch, you could tell an infinite amount of stories about this shit
>>
>>80544174
yeah but he only got stranded because he tried to kill barry as a child
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.