[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who thinks that mechanical web -shooters are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 16
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Am I the only one who thinks that mechanical web -shooters are dumb? If Spider-Man can't spin webs than what the fuck can he do that's spider-related? Climb walls and jump high?

If that's the case, we might as well call him grasshopper man.
>>
>>79670770
He has radiation powers from the radioactive spider that bit him. He took on the spider motif because that's how he got the powers
>>
>>79670911
The powers are supposed to be the proportional powers of a spider, though.
>>
>>79670770
Yeah, but if he doesn't have the web shooters then he doesn't have too much to show that he's a genius, which is a legitimate argument.

The other one that's constantly brought up is that if they were organic he wouldn't run out as easily, which is stupid because he almost never runs out in the comics anyway.

Ideally, the best solution would be to make the webiing organic but put cartridges of different kinds of webbing compounds like hardening web on his wrist like he has in the comics. The movies never get into that sadly.
>>
>>79670911
>He has radiation powers from the radioactive spider that bit him.
Yeah, he can give his wife cancer by nutting inside her.
>>
>>79670966
He doesn't need to be a genius though.

He was play as pretty smart but nowadays people wank him up cause he's the most popular self-insert.
>>
>>79670770
>grasshopper man

kek, this has potential
>>
I think that he should produce webs naturally but they are a complete mess. He doesn't have spinnerets. So the wristbands are there to turn his naturally produced webbing into something he can actually use.

There, thematic reinforcement of his spider powers and his engineering skills. Done.
>>
Correct me if im wrong, but didnt he explain that he could but he doesnt want to because its gross and not strong enough?
>>
File: Kamen_Rider_1.jpg (25 KB, 240x400) Image search: [Google]
Kamen_Rider_1.jpg
25 KB, 240x400
>>79671036
>grasshopper man
>>
>>79670770
yes now fuck off
>>
>>79670770
No, you're not the only one. Conceptually he's a poor design. The best response is the "radioactive powers" but that's just an in-universe explanation. If Stan Lee wanted to he could have made the webslingers part of the natural powerset Spider-Man had.

But hey, a lot of superheroes have bad designs. Superman is a Caucasian human "alien." It's the stories that are written about them that matter more.
>>
>>79670770
he got radiation powers and decided to theme himself after a spider since that was the vector for the change
>>
>>79670770
>If Spider-Man can't spin webs than what the fuck can he do that's spider-related?
Nothing, all of his powers are radiation-related except for his Spider-Sense. Even the strength of his powers depends on how radioactive his blood is, the spider is just a theme the same way bats are just a theme with Batman.

As for the webshooters, they're supposed to show how smart Peter was. In Raimi's trilogy he didn't want "genius" to be a key part of Peter's character, so that part of Peter was practically nonexistent and they just gave him organic webshooters.
>>
>>79670770
the last grasshopper-man died in the very page he was introduced
>>
>>79670911
This. all of his powers are found in other marvel heroes whose powers come from mutation from radiation. he's basically nightcrawler minus teleportation plus super strength. the only particularly spidery thing is the reflexes, but spiders have great reflexes because they're tiny. ditto strength. and for the most part the clinging is about that too
i liked when the 90s series said that maybe the spider DNA gave him some kind of instinctive understanding of chemicals that would make good webbing. but even then, spider webs are only strong because theyre tiny. he's just a genius. and him being a genius is part of what makes him so great.
>>
>>79670770
organics make less sense because why the fuck would the web shooters be in his wrist, síders have that shit just adove their ass, also the mechanic web shooters help show the science side of Peter.
>>
>>79671024
Being a genius has always been a part of who he is. He was always supposed to be brilliant. If he'd been allowed to reach his full potential, he could have been another Tony Stark.
>>
>>79672520
>he could have been another Tony Stark.
But would we really want another Tony Stark, anon?
>>
I always thought they were dumb because it showed how comics can't portray that Parker is "a pretty smart guy" without the visual metaphor of a revolutionary invention that billions of dollars and thousands of scientists have searched for for nearly a century (mass-producible synthetic spider silk). One that isn't even a weapon and could turn the worlds of construction and medical surgery upside-down but he refuses to make money on because for reasons.
>>
>>79672660
IIRC he doesn't refuse to make money on it, he tried to sell the formula for some guys, but was rejected because it only lasts for around one hour or something like that.
>>
File: 3450-1-10.jpg (70 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
3450-1-10.jpg
70 KB, 400x300
How the fuck do Peter stay poor, with both is smarts and powers? That is the question that everyone should be asking. Shit dude could even go to Vegas and do the numbers game and get some money.
>>
>>79672774
>Peter
>Poor
Someone doesn't read comics
>>
>>79670966
What if he actually does produce his web - with his rear end, like an actual spider - and needs the wrist mechanics to make any sensible use of it? 't Would be quite the 'dark' secret to keep.
>>
File: you7857658.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
you7857658.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>79672901
You mean the company that Ock made when he had Peter's body. Going for that cop out huh, so all this time he couldn't do anything himself?
>>
>>79672923
Shit, didn't mean to reply to >>79670966
>>
File: 1310320087326.jpg (121 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1310320087326.jpg
121 KB, 320x240
>>79672750
That's straight up retarded. Even if it only lasts an hour, that shit would be helpful for countless situations Wow.
>>
>>79672557
that why he was poor for most of the time
>>
>>79670770

The only good reason for Spidy to have them is because by making it shows how smart Peter is.
But it certain rumours are true about Civil War (Tony gives them to Spider-man) then they should just remove them altogether and just go with organic.
>>
>>79672950
He was working for other labs/tech companies for years before that
>>
File: 1454393429itJVX.jpg (89 KB, 550x636) Image search: [Google]
1454393429itJVX.jpg
89 KB, 550x636
>>79671215

underrated post
>>
>>79670770
Honestly, what is the point of that hand position? If he wants to hit the switch, why strain his wrist by having his other fingers sticking out? I've never understood this. It looks neat, but I always thought it was stupid because it hurt my wrists to do it as a kid.
>>
>>79671215
So he can poop out silk, but can't spin it into threads?
>>
>>79670950
Spiders are actually generally frail and weak for their size though with only a few exceptions.
>>
>>79670770

Why is it even shooting out of his wrists at all? It should be coming out of his ass
>>
What kind of bat themed powers does Batman have?
>>
>>79675140
He's blind but navigates Gotham through echolocation.
>>
>>79674842
Eh, different people are built different. I've always been able to put my digits in weird places and the spidey thing takes no effort or strain at all for me.
>>
>>79672750
That really just makes it even more retarded. They could always reapply the stuff like every hour if they needed it to be more permanent, and even then, can you honestly not think of any applications of a temporary but extremely strong adhesive? Convenient and easy netting for catching dropped objects from high rises, safety harnesses that need very little setup, temporary structures and all at such a low cost that even a poor middle schooler can afford to mass produce the stuff. There are so many applications here for webbing.
>>
>>79674842
The hand position is to make sure he doesn't accidentally activate it when making a fist and is easily hidden by his sleeves when in his civvies. Plus he's Spiderman, he's can lick his own ass, I'm sure he can stretch his fingers down to his wrist easily.
>>
>>79675140
He's rich as fuck.
>>
File: duhhh.jpg (75 KB, 684x639) Image search: [Google]
duhhh.jpg
75 KB, 684x639
>>79670770
HE SWINGS OFF OF WEBS THAT HE SHOOTS FROM WEB SHOOTERS HE INVENTED.

THAT'S WHY HE'S SPIDER-MAN.

GO READ SOME SPIDER-MAN AND MAYBE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND.
>>
File: rightxd.png (259 KB, 386x499) Image search: [Google]
rightxd.png
259 KB, 386x499
>>79670770
>Am I the only one who thinks that mechanical web -shooters are dumb?

No, you're not. A lot of people who aren't origin purists have pointed out for years that mechanical webshooters are both a convoluted way of showing Peter's intelligence and a tool for cheap tension with "Oh no, I've run out of web" in the middle of something important.
>>
File: batmantis.png (302 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
batmantis.png
302 KB, 512x384
>>79670770
Am I the only one who thinks Batman's mechanical cape is dumb? If Batman can't fly with real bat wings than what the fuck can he do that's bat-related? Take a shit on the floor of a dark cave while sleeping?

If that's the case we may as well call him OP.
>>
>>79670969
Spider-Man Reign is stupid and you're stupid for referencing it.
>>
>>79675987
Batman was never bitten by a radioactive bat nor touted to have enhanced genetic bat-like abilities.
>>
File: 1453401435986.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1453401435986.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>79675940
>pic
I fucking hate you.
>>
>>79672774
It's because writers and seemingly everyone else is too nostaglic about his high school/college days so he's never allowed to "grow up" and instead has to regress to that state at the end of the day.
>>
>>79670950
No, they aren't.
>>
File: just imagine batman.jpg (39 KB, 356x640) Image search: [Google]
just imagine batman.jpg
39 KB, 356x640
>>79675987
>>
>>79671276
You are wrong. I am correcting you.
>>
Because it's fucking stupid. If you don't like Spider-Man, don't read Spider-Man. I don't care how much you like the stupid fucking hack Raimi movies, if you like them only watch them and don't pay attention to any other Spider-Man media and kindly fuck off
>>
>>79671494
>spider webs are only strong because they're tiny
That's not how tensile strength works.
>>
>>79677459
He said the spiders themselves are only strong because they're tiny, not the webs.
>google reading comprehension
>>
>>79677520
I just realized he did say that in the post and I was a dick for no reason. Sorry mate. I'm tired.
>>
I want peter parker shooting web from his anus before i call him spiderman.
>>
>>79672774
Money troubles make him more relatable.
>>
Daily reminder to thank Based Jim Cameron who suggested organic shooters in the first place.
>>
>>79671377
Agree wholeheartedly
>>
>>79670966
It makes him look like the opposite of a genius by making him capable of building ridiculous shit like this in the garage but not being able to make money off of it.

Best alternative is that he naturally produces webbing, but needs the shooters for it to actually be a useful spray.
>>
File: Peter Parker is a Genius.jpg (106 KB, 540x265) Image search: [Google]
Peter Parker is a Genius.jpg
106 KB, 540x265
>>79672520
>He was always supposed to be brilliant.
Key word is "supposed to".
>>
>>79671377
>The best response is the "radioactive powers"
No...because he got them from a radioactive spider, hence spider-man

If he got bit by a radio active fucking raccoon I bet he wouldn't have super strength or climb up walls

>But hey, a lot of superheroes have bad designs. Superman is a Caucasian human "alien."

Why is this an issue? It's very likely that a race almost identical to humans exists somewhere in the universe, if not many
>>
>>79678384
>It makes him look like the opposite of a genius by making him capable of building ridiculous shit like this in the garage but not being able to make money off of it.

You miss the point of Spider-Man completely you dunce

He doesn't want to be famous, he wants to live the life of a normal kid....the only reason he fights crime is because he has a Batman tier guilt obsession
>>
>>79678435
No that is not at all likely. It isn't even likely there is other intelligent life out there.
>>
>>79676992
Aren't they making him 15 for Civil War. I feel like that's already kinda pushing it. I always thought he'd be more like 17 at least.
>>
>>79678462
>He doesn't want to be famous
This is one of the wrongest things I've ever heard.

Lee/Ditko Spidey was all about trying to cash in on his Spider-Man persona. It was one of the most consistent parts of his character.
>>
>>79678509
Yes, outside of the comics he's always been in a loop from high school to college. It's also possible this creates more people nostalgic about that era and thinking it's all Spider-Man can be which is funny cause people also say he's overused and nothing new can be done with him. Peter's issue is being a character about progression in a setting where he can't progress anymore, it's been like that for years.
>>
File: 1441396771869.jpg (321 KB, 571x667) Image search: [Google]
1441396771869.jpg
321 KB, 571x667
>>79678470
>It isn't even likely there is other intelligent life out there.
>>
>>79678566
Well, his whole original appeal was that he was just a normal guy thrust into the whole thing. At the time he was created younger characters were relegated to the sidekick role, and all your heroes were either people like Superman or Thor, and even your heroes that were supposed to be normal people had secret kung fu training that made them powerful, like your standard pulp heroes.

Peter's just a guy who feels like he has to do the right thing, given more power than most to do it. He has to balance this against the struggles he faces in his normal life, and the urge to abuse his power for his own personal gain - which got his uncle killed, or so he believes.

I don't think he necessarily has to be about "progression" but he's supposed to be dealing with the issues of a normal person, and it's hard to make that believable when he's stuck in Archie teen-land forever pining after the untouchable Gwen Stacey or whoever, always barely keeping his secret from being discovered, like it's some slice of life manga.

>>79678509
Making him 15 makes plenty of sense. It's hard to tell from an adult perspective, but your priorities change a lot as you age, esp in the teen years. How much did you change from your freshman year of high school to your senior year? I'd wager the things you were worried about going in were very different from the things you worried about coming out.
>>
if spider-man does whatever a spider can how come he never injects his enemies with powerful toxins and then drinks their liquefied internal organs
>>
>>79675733
>Plus he's Spiderman, he's can lick his own ass

I didn't know I waneed this until now.
>>
>>79678733
>I don't think he necessarily has to be about "progression" but he's supposed to be dealing with the issues of a normal person, and it's hard to make that believable when he's stuck in Archie teen-land forever pining after the untouchable Gwen Stacey or whoever, always barely keeping his secret from being discovered, like it's some slice of life manga.

Which is exactly why I'm not the biggest fan of people wanting to go back to that.
>>
>>79678733
15 is just borderline at kid hero territory. Just an year or two up from that would make a big difference in my eyes. But considering how real kids are at that age I'm expecting the actual age to be pretty irrelevant to his character and him being unusually mature for his age.
>>
>>79670770
Well, there's a MAN in his name, so he's at least human and be using human tech. If he was called the Spider only, then you complaint is warranted.
>>
>>79678394
in science son, his social skills needs work
>>
>>79670770
But spiders don't have spinerettes on their legs.
>>
>>79670770
>>79671036
If he was grasshopper themed, he'd be dead in the issue he was introduced in, like the last four grasshoppers in the MU.
>>
>>79670966
Actully in amazing spiderman 2 he does make his webs anti-electro
>>
>>79678778
Yeah, where the fuck's that story?

I wanna see a comic where Spider-Man fights crime by building a web in a random dark alley, waits several days before an unsuspecting criminal walks in it, and then gets bitten and paralyzed, wrapped in silk, and saved for later.
>>
>>79672520
>If he'd been allowed to reach his full potential, he could have been another Tony Stark.

If making crazy strong artificial spider webbing as a teenager isn't 'reaching his full potential' then I'm curious as to what his full potential is.
>>
Anyone could have been bitten.

But the point of the web shooters is that Peter Parker is who made Spider-man what he is.

Had they been bitten, anyone would jump high, lift cars and stick to walls.

But Peter was a true nerd on the way to becoming a great scientist when he was bit.

The shooters, the tracers, even originally the lenses in his mask, these are all indications of who Peter could have been if not for the spider and what he brings to the table aside from his powers. And it's why makes Spiderman so effective, his mind.

Peter is so smart, Valeria Richards considers him not dumb, which in layman's terms means genius. The shooters and development of the web is the first real indication of that, and ithat intelligence is integral to his characterization.
>>
>>79675987
This comparacion is stupid. Batman doesn't have powers and is rich.

Peter just looks like an idiot for not getting rich with the web shooters.
>>
Intelligence /= Ambition
>>
>>79682227
why would he give away his trademark, exactly? Peter doesn't really care about getting rich. Even now with Parker Industries he's giving his money away.

Which you'd know if you actually read comics
>>
>>79670770
>spiderman
>cant grow two extra arms
>>
>>79682227

One of Batman's powers IS wealth.

He only keeps making money because he has no powers, he needs vehicles and suits and gadgets. It is necessary.
>>
>>79682678
He grew four extra arms that one time.
>>
>>79683407
This was one of those arcs where you just feel bad for the guy
>trying to super science
>this bullshit happens
>Morbius running around being an asshole
>The Lizard kind of helping but also going crazy and needing to get punched out from time to time
>antidote for the arms thing getting abused like the beginning of Temple of Doom
>ends up all sad cause Morbius tries to kill himself and shit
>>
>>79683498
>>
>>79672520
>If he'd been allowed to reach his full potential, he could have been another Tony Stark.
He is.
>>
He's a hunting spider.
aka the best kind of spider
>>
>>79683905
Given the Internet's obsession with both pugs and jumping spiders, and Marvel's obsession with jumping on trends, I'm kind of surprised Peter doesn't have some cute bug-eyed little arachnodog at this point.
>>
>>79684085
Wait the internet is obsessed with jumping spiders?
I just think Huntsmans are fucking baller
>>
>>79684189
cute fucking eyes
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.