[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where should I go from here in my comic buying venture? Thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 20160111_004840.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160111_004840.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Where should I go from here in my comic buying venture? Thinking of going with the Vision next
>>
>>78893119
>Thinking of going with the Vision next
YES. DO THIS. Easily Marvel's best current ongoing. I'd also recommend:
>Ultimates
>Totally Awesome Hulk
>Starbrand/Nightmask
>New Avengers
>Herc

Also, think about branching out into some non-Big 2 stuff as well. Image is putting out a lot of great stuff that's all self-contained (so doesn't have the continuity barrier that Marvel or DC have), and Valiant is putting out some of the best cape books on the market (plus it's a lot easier to get into a cape universe with 5 ongoings than 70).

And if you're thinking of giving some DC stuff a try, Omega Men, Prez, Midnighter and Grayson are great. I'd say just trade-wait Omega Men and Prez, but get on that Grayson vibe.
>>
>>78893119
>paying for comics
You know its way more easy and convenient just to pirate them right?
>>
>>78893119
>marvel
>>
>>78893119
Vision is 100000x better than anything going on in Marvel right now man. it throws capeshit right out the window and gives us something new that really works.
>>
>>78893241
Yeah I'm thinking of sticking to All New in terms of Physical stuff and was told to read Ultimate Spidey online. What other All New ongoings are there? I'm thinking of starting to read most of them though I was advised to stay away from team books to start with
>>
>>78895363
For solo ANAD stuff, I'd go with:
>Ms. Marvel
>Herc
>Vision
>Starbrand/Nightmask
>Karnak
>Totally Awesome Hulk
>Drax
>Sam Wilson: Captain America
>Scarlet Witch

But you definitely have to get Starbrand/Nightmask because its sales are horrible and it needs all the help it can get or else it'll be cancelled by the end of the first arc.
>>
>>78893269
>you know that this can cripple and destroy the industry, right?
>>
>>78895509
Worth a read from the get-go? This week I'm getting the remaining issues of Spidey and Vision and the first issue or two of another. FalCap is something I'm actually excited to read. Is it a worthwhile run?

When asked about Secret Wars I was given a big fat quick NO. Should I not bother with preANAD Marvel right now? It's my first foray into Comics
>>
>>78895521
>implying crippling and destroying the industry wouldn't be better than letting Marvel and indiefags continue to use it as a propoganda tool for their anti-straight white male agendas
Holy shit /co/mblr is real.
>>
File: background.jpg (82 KB, 633x537) Image search: [Google]
background.jpg
82 KB, 633x537
Wait is this Cosmic? I've been wanting a Cosmic read to balance thing out. How many issues are out?
>>
>>78895521
don't blame him, blame society for making him lazy and poor
>>
>>78895521
Meh, I aint driving 40 miles to buy some overpriced picture books when I can download it in my underwear for free, maybe the industry should adapt to my needs.
>>
>>78895790
>Is it a worthwhile run?
Only 3 issues out so far but I've enjoyed it way more than I was expecting to. Spencer tends to be more of a humor writer, but he's got a surprisingly good balance going for Cap. I'm actually liking it more than his Ant-man despite Ant-man playing to his strengths as a writer better. One of my personal standouts for the relaunch.

And I really liked Secret Wars and a lot of the tie-ins, but a lot of it is continuity wank. Stuff that wouldn't really mean much to someone new to the universe/comics. As far as pre-ANAD stuff to look for, I'd recommend getting trades/omnis for some of the must-reads (Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme, Marvels/Marvels: Eye of the Camera, Earth-X, Miller's Daredevil, all that stuff), and getting the previous issues of runs that were continued as par of the relaunch.

For example, ANAD Ms. Marvel is just a continuation of pre-Secret Wars run, so if you're going to read that, you'll want to go back and read the 19 issues that preceded it. Deadpool is a continuation of his run, so you'd want to go back and read the 45 issues that preceded him. Ant-man had 5 issues pre-SW.

Most of the ANAD runs are more-or-less fresh starts though. Generally just look to see if the same writer was writing the book before Secret Wars, and if so, read that portion first.
>>
>>78895851
Only 1. And it's kinda cosmic, in that it's about two cosmic characters going to college. We'll see how cosmic it gets once they're done establishing the "college" half of the setting.
>>
>78895790
Im relatively new too and I tend to just buy whatever interests me currently and ignore old runs. That said some books like Ms. Marvel and Ultimates have storylines that are continuing in some form from the old issues. Starting cold is fine as far as I can tell but reading back issues will help your understanding a lot, especially in books that ended early (>8) or so issues before secret wars. Silk and Howard the Duck fall into that category I feel.
>>
>>78895363

Please check out Totally Awesome Hulk.
>>
>>78896093
>ignore old runs
Theres your problem, comics suck nowadays
>>
>>78895807
Kek, nice slippery-slope there Anon.

>>78895914
You would think that a board that is centered around ethics, morals, and values taught by cartoons and fictional would... Oh, I dunno - have some morals, ethics, or values? I guess this IS 4chan though.

They're literally stealing from artists and writers who get paid to make this stuff.

>>78895935
>adapt to my needs
You must be some sort of communist, huh?
>>
>>78896867
No just a liberal
>>
>>78896867
>They're literally stealing from artists and writers who get paid to make this stuff.
We're stealimg from Disney and Time Warner, writers and artists don't get royalties
>>
>>78893119
buy trades instead, single issue comics are a waste of money
>>78895521
>this is a bad thing
the comic industry is garbage, why would I want to support it
>>
>>78895509
Wasn't Starbrand/Nightmask already cancelled? Or am I thinking of another Weisman comic?
>>
>>78895521
If the industry doesn't want me to pirate they should give me a reason not to, maybe lower the price on digital and I'd feel a little bad about stealing
>>
>>78893119
>buying single issues of popular titles
>>
>>78895851
That book is trash though. It suffers the same problem that DC and Marvel's cosmic book suffer from. Instead of the setting being in space and doing cool cosmic stuff they are stuck on earth doing boring Earth stuff.
>>
>>78893119
>Supporting Slott-Man

Why would anyone do this?
>>
>>78897178
>it's okay to steal, so long as it's from really rich people
Look, you know what I mean. Yeah, artists and writers may not get royalties (with some companies) but they still have to get paid by those companies.

>>78897274
>the comic industry is garbage, why would I want to support it
To... Oh, I don't know - get more comics? Why are you even here?!

>>78897367
Again, you're just justifying like the Anon above you. It's still stealing, doesn't matter if it's a little or a lot. Batman would punch you in the face and tell you pay for your comics, ya dingus
>>
>>78897630
>Piracy
>Stealing

Go back to reddit
>>
>>78897630
Well its a good thing there are people like you to make sure Disney and Warner stay afloat buy paying $5 an issue for poorly written comics
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.