[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw can't draw to save my life but I can come up with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15 KB, 360x270
>tfw can't draw to save my life but I can come up with some pretty bomb ass stories

Any artists working on a comic and want to team up with a writer ;_;
>>
>>78886542
Can we talk about writing? I don't think we talk about it enough here.

Can you also write those bomb ass ideas? Have you written and finished an actual story? Because almost everyone who reads or watches movies thinks they have these "great ideas". The question is, can. you. write?

Don't be discouraged if the answer is no. I'm a writer working with an artist in a webcomic and I learned what I know by starting without realizing how much hard work it actually takes to write. Its more about execution and implementation of the idea and less about coming up with the idea. Its not the same as brainstorming.

I'm not saying you have no great ideas and perhaps you are a skilled writer but I just thought this is a subject we should talk about in general. Writing takes work and practice, and an illustrator should require examples and evidence of skill and productivity from the writer, not just ideas.
>>
Make a series pitch/bible and an elevator pitch. Write it out. Don't just be an ideas man, be a screenplay and story director man.
>>
Ive drawn shit for people before, the best way to do it is to not be too elaborate on the way you want things and work with the artist not just "this is how i want this and this draw it"
>>
>>78886542
Any second idiot thinks he can write, if you want someone to draw for you, pay him.
>>
That feel when I have all kinds of ideas for stories and settings but I have a crippling fear of writing it down because I know that once I see it written I will realize how retarded they all are so I rather just keep them as ideas in my head.
>>
>>78888328
So much this.

Before even thinking about getting someone else involved in your project, you need to be confident that your writing is worth somebody else reading.

Practice short stories, doll them out to whoever to get feedback, rinse and repeat until people start having positive reactions from your stuff. Then start attempting to get an artist.
>>
>>78891239
Where do you dole out your work when it's finished?
>>
I write for fun and help fellow writers out of writers block. I can help! But I'm at work so expect a delayed reply.
>>
>>78892975
How important is describing the scenery in stories? I hate that kind of stuff, but I know some people like using their imagination for it.
>>
>>78893124
It really depends on the story you're writing about. Someti.es you can say a lot by just casually mentioning things in the background.

I'll agree writing like Tolkien can be a pain sometimes.
>>
>I'm an ideas guy
>>
>>78893124
Some writers describe the scenery right of the bat and casually drop a few things the reader should focus on to basically transition to the next scene. If you're not careful though it will be noticeable and come off tacky.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
The best writing advice I ever got was from a friend of mine a few years ago, and its going to sound dumb, but I promise you it has improved my writing by leaps and bounds.

Try playing D&D, and if you already do, write a short, one or two night campaign.

It will force you to try and anticipate possible actions of your characters from the perspective of people other than yourself and will make you think on the fly to compensate if someone tries to take it off the rails.

You'll train your brain to think off the beaten path of a predictable storyline and get into the habit of wrapping up loose ends and/or leaving them open purposefully to be revisited later.

I shit you not, buy some dice.
>>
>>78893387
>implying you have people to play with

Dungeons and Dragons looks fun, but I don't have buddies.
>>
>>78893696
Don't need buddies brah, check your local game shop. There's almost always a "Looking for more" board. Beginner groups are pretty common too
>>
>>78891063
>Any second idiot thinks he can write, if you want someone to draw for you, pay him.
/thread.

If you're really confident in your ideas, you should make an investment and pay an artist.
>>
>>78896510
Even if it's the best thing ever, how are you going to get an audience? Just spam it everywhere? Not to mention the fact that people aren't going to pay for something that they've never heard of, written by a nobody. Would you?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.