[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writefag Writing Society
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 27
File: 1341029160190.png (52 KB, 815x1039) Image search: [Google]
1341029160190.png
52 KB, 815x1039
Writefag General, Equal Writes and Lefts Edition

Topics for discussion:
>What are you currently writing?
>How many pages is it?
>What is your daily quota?
>Have you reached it?
>Who is your protagonist?
>What is their relationship to your antagonist?
>Who is your favorite character in comics/literature?

Reminded not to be a wallflower, if you want your contribution read and critiqued, try responding to someone else as well.
>>
File: 1423626946799.jpg (111 KB, 611x665) Image search: [Google]
1423626946799.jpg
111 KB, 611x665
posting again because i'm a baller.

i've already said it a billion times before. warrior girl, gods and monsters, apocalypse, blah blah blah
>How many pages is it?
about 40 something pages of lore and characters.
to try and get a script done.
>Have you reached it?
as if.
Syd the emotionally unstable warrior girl with a heart of gold.
she has a different relationship with each one across the seasons.
Comics: Herbie Popnecker
Literature: i don't know actually. i'm drawing a blank.

so what's good with you guys?
>>
>>69495391

I've had this issue of dramatizing characters and handling background. To be more precise, a lot of the relationships I establish don't plain work because when I put one of the characters in peril or kill them, the audience doesn't feel it.

They understand what they're supposed to feel because of a throwaway line I put in, but the initial interaction is missing. FilmCritHulk can explain it better.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/08/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulk-vs-the-john-carter-script/

>Now, imagine if finding nemo had decided to hold that attack scene until a much later point in the film. Is hulk crazy or wouldn't that be a waste? Sure, the reveal might be touching if it was handled properly, but wouldn't we lose so much? During the entire film, wouldn't the audience be less clear about why marlin was behaving that way? Wouldn't we have trouble understanding him and even be a little annoyed by his over-protectiveness?

>Of course we would!

>And now imagine if that harrowing scene were flashed back to in the middle of some shark chase scene or some other shit. Wouldn't that be awful and tonally inappropriate?

>Of course it would!

That's my biggest problem. I feel like if I take too much time in the beginning to establish the relationships and the conflicts, the story will sag and the audience will say "Hurry the fuck up." But, if I don't do it, then the audience will give fuck all if something happens to them.

How much does one need to establish "Oh, Character A and Character B are good friends. I have become emotionally attached to them. I hope nothing bad happens to either of them?"
>>
>Not Litfig
wat
>>
Posting again because I crave opinions and attention

Fantasy novel. Renegade nation called The Union declares war on the Gods and their followers. Starts out slow but then they gain access to ancient technology. EG, Rudimentary Flamethrowers, Trains and even a Modern Day Battleship
>How many pages is it?
Outline is 129 pages
Taking a break currently while getting insight from people
>Have you reached it?
Nope
A girl named Sara who was sent by the Gods to stop The Union and restore peace
At first they are companions and eventually become love interests. however due to certain events that transpire over the course of the story The Antagonist finds himself becoming a General in The Union and eventually inherits The Purple and is declared Emperor, starting a world war.
The Mule from The Foundation Series
>>
>>69495993
also, if anyone wants more details let me know.
>>
>>69495993
i think(?) you posted this in the last thread, but i never got to comment on it.

but anyway, i like this idea, it seems like a fun fantasy story. i would like to know how they get a modern day battleship.
>>
>>69495993
What is that you're trying to say about the human experience with this story anon? What's the meaning of all of these fantasy elements in your story?
>>
>>69496245
I might have posted it in either the last one or the one before that.

Anyways, so one of the main points in the lore of the story is that about 2000 years ago there was this Grand Empire that controlled most of the world. Events happens and said Empire collapses. Back in the current time A the very first Scion , the beings sent by the Gods to help in times of crisis, went renegade centuries ago and provided The Union with some technology the old empire had. One of which being a Modern Day Battleship. They can't make more, but when everyone is using wooden ship all you need is one
>>
>>69496308
alot of free will commentary and that good and evil are subjective.
>>
File: 1423374805103.jpg (60 KB, 313x420) Image search: [Google]
1423374805103.jpg
60 KB, 313x420
>>69496349
ah okay, i get it.
that sounds really cool, keep at it anon.
>>
>>69495627
sounds neat
>>
>>69496399
Tell me more about your philosophical beliefs on morality. Why is it that you believe good and evil are subjective? What is the philosophical model that you base your idealological notion of the will on?
>>
File: 1416520177100.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1416520177100.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>>69496617
thanks anon.
>>
>>69496701
well, I'm not gonna lie and admit I'm too drunk to fully understand what you just said. So forgive me if I don't answer your question

so in the story when there is a great threat to the peace of the world the Gods would send a Scion to help humanity. The first one they give free will. However he ends up betraying them and as a result all other scions from then on out don't have free will. The main character however, has a run in with the first scion at the beginning and he manages to disconnect her from the Gods, essentially giving her free will and experiencing fun, love and other things that other scions do not.

as for the good and evil thing the main antagonistic state, The Union, was once separated into multiple groups who were also persecuted from the powerful states around them. They unite and attack the other countries to reclaim their land. The Main antagonist ends up taking over and starts a world war claiming that he will end persecution by making everyone equal under his rule. So even though the hero is fighting against them their motives are actually good.
>>
>>69496932
>>69496349
>>69495993
so whose the actual antagonist? The former companion of the MC and love interest or this Renegade Scion guy?
>>
>>69495391

I'm working on a slice of life comic about a female writer that wants to be published and has to take several jobs to pay the rent in the meantime.

She doesn't sleeps a lot and she loves stories of all kind.

I want to do a lot with this webcomic idea, I want it to be about stories, about how and why people love fiction the way they do.

I also want it to be kinda like talkes from the Krypt in which sometimes the story would focus on random people from the tow n in which my characters live, sometimes is a person telling a story or remembering a show that they used to like

That's kisd of an excuse to so I can draw a lot of different shit in the same comic, practice different art styles, color styles, etc.

I'm just having problems with writing characters.

Like what can I do with them? What do they want? how do they relate to each other? Where are they going?

Its really hard since I would really like to have a huge cast of characters, big, minor, background jokes, etc. at some point
>>
>>69497125
well, both I guess. The MC's love interest is the Leader of The Union and the renegade scion is his advisor. Although the renegade scion is much more evil than the other one.
>>
>all these faggots not commenting on others
>>
>>69496932
It seems a little simplistic philosophically to me in all honesty. It appears as though these Gods you've put into your world were created with a very carnal mind. Like there is no true spiritual aspect to the story.

This is just my inference, but it seems to be Gods represent oppression and free will is freedom from them. That would end up being very one dimensional in the end in my opinion.

What are these Gods in your story theologically speaking?
>>
>>69495627
is this episodic? What's the overarching plot?
>>69497289
sorry. Watching the NBA Allstar thing
>>
>>69497331
People are very religious so the spiritual aspect is covered. Humans have free will, it is simply the Scions who do not. Imagine if the Greek Pantheon but the Gods aren't in charge of specific areas. Also, after the events that brought the Empire of old to fall they become very reactive and there is a specific reason why they allow The Union to be oppressed.
>>
>>69495627
do you have a process for writing?

and more importantly, how do you think your comic is going to be noticed among other action comics?
>>
File: 1421804671114.gif (497 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1421804671114.gif
497 KB, 300x225
>>69497289
don't be rude anon-kun.

>>69497335
it varies really. my plan is to go for a 5 episode stretch of episodic stuff that still has subtle plot progression, and then 2 pure plot episodes.

>>69497403
>do you have a process for writing?
i get up at the crack of dawn, have coffee, then crank up the music playlist for this specific project and begin brainstorming/writing. I can't write really without doing this routine. only on rare occasions where i'm struck by a compelling idea can i write any other way.
>>
>>69497399
Religion and spirituality aren't the same thing anon. The vast majority of the people in organized religions aren't truly spiritual at all. Religion destroys true spirituality if anything. I'm a very spiritual person myself, so my notion of what religion is and even what the Greek Gods were are going to be very different from yours.

What is it that you think the Greek Gods were theologically? How is it that the Gods in your story operate and exist in the full picture of your world? What are the religious practices and beliefs of the people in your world?

Ultimately, the most important question is are you writing this world with humans having souls as an objective truth? When it comes to Gods in a story, that will always be what needs to be addressed
>>
>>69495391
>>What are you currently writing?
Working on a pitch for a D&D cartoon
>>How many pages is it?
I don't know. A few pages of notes so far.
>>What is your daily quota?
Just to add something to the notes.
>>Have you reached it?
Not today.
>>Who is your protagonist?
There are five, actually.
>>What is their relationship to your antagonist?
They protect a small frontier town from the machinations of the antagonists, foiling their schemes.
>>Who is your favorite character in comics/literature?
Comics: I don't really know.
Literature: Solomon Kane
>>
File: 002.jpg (1 MB, 1624x2192) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
1 MB, 1624x2192
>>69497172

ok let me do this right,

a webcomic about a female writer and stories withtin stories.

>How many pages is it?

Right now 27
I don't have one, I also have to focus on drawing.

>Have you reached it?
nope
Elaine the (failed) writter, learning how to live by herself, learning about life, friends,etc.

She loves fiction and is kind of an outcast so she entertains herself with stories and stories about people around her.

Its not like she hates people or anything, she is pretty sociable actually, is just that people don't click with her even if she can talk to them.
I don't really have a antagonist, sure some people will be there to hate on Elaine like some family members, co-workers, etc, but there will not be actual bad guys.
Don't make me choose... Batman and Guybrush Threepwood?
>>
>>69498237
>The thumb on the one in the iron man shirt
>>
>>69498237
>>69497172
i like it, sounds comfy.
>>
File: crelaine.jpg (3 MB, 2528x3200) Image search: [Google]
crelaine.jpg
3 MB, 2528x3200
>>69498288
yeah I fuck up like that a lot. Werdly enough I do it often with the same character
>>
>>69500423
Is she a real person in the context of the comic?? Because if not, it could be an interesting bit of designwork.
>>
>>69498459
what do you think about changing the way the story is told from time to time?

Like sometimes is about her life, sometimes is about her thinking about something, sometimes is her reading a story, sometimes she breaks the fourth wall to tell us a story or a urban legend from around her town...

Because I want to make that town like a really weird place, like a lot of Tales from the Krypt and Twlight Zone stories are happening around...

So Elaine, the one with short hair, can tell us about them from time to time
>>
>>69500457
in what way, anon?
>>
>>69497716
tell us about the group! Come on, that's like the best part of any D&D story!
>>
File: 0012.jpg (1 MB, 1904x1432) Image search: [Google]
0012.jpg
1 MB, 1904x1432
>>69498459
also what do you mean by comfy?
somebody told me that this drawing was ''comfy'' too, but I don't know how would you apply that to a story.

Like it sounds readable?
>>
bump, i gotta go to work but here's hoping this is still here tomorrow so i can post.
>>
>>69500588
I think a not-real character, who appears completely normal except for one tiny, but not minor, thing that's just "off" would give them this air of being, well, off.

>>69500616
All righty, here goes.
1/2
>Traxis is a youngish human man, mid-to-late twenties maybe. Just another of several sons and daughters of a couple of farmers. One day, back in his youth, his home was attacked by a some bandits and in a fit of desperation he called out for assistance. And so a deal was brokered. He was given an intense ability to manipulate Hellfire and other dark forces and all it cost was his soul. Sure he fended off the ruthless attackers, but his family had seen what he was capable of, what he'd become: a warlock. And so, cast out and damned, Traxis has taken to a life of wandering and doing what good he can with what time he has seemingly out of spite, but actually out of the goodness of his heart.

>Vaijj Karken is an older dragonborn, a veteran of a war decades passed. Haunted by the horrors he'd seen, and the things he's done, Vaijj has fled the mainland for the frontiers to get away from it all. He's a master scout and woodsman who wields a massive longbow. Has the traits of a black dragon. Wanna think of an animal companion for him.

>Theil is an elf of simple upbringing, cheerful, eccentric, enthusiastic, and inventive. He also happens to be a practitioner of necromancy, and his experimentations and inventions typically aren't big hits with his skeletal manservant. Exiled from his home he now lives in the frontier town of Silverpeak where his talents do not go unappreciated.
>>
>>69501147
2/2

>Lissia Desadun has spent her entire life in the Church of the Wheel, either in an orphanage, a cloister, or just in service as one of the holy warriors of the paladin order. She has a bit of a hero complex on top of being incredibly modest despite her statuesque build and great beauty. Lissia has found herself in Silverpeak attached to the small church and its keeper as protector and general aide. After the start of the series would be very interested in saving Traxis's soul.

>Ginnis Stoutpipes was born to dwarven royalty. And promptly hidden from public view due to her bawdy nature. An outcast of sorts, Ginnis took her love of song and perfected it as she was shunted off from relative to relative until finally just getting the boot entirely, the surface worlders being told "She's your problem now". Her love of adventure, people, and drink has brought her to Silverpeak and her music and comedy stylings are typically well-regarded, save for a few groans. Because she's got a thing for puns, too.
>>
File: 12.jpg (136 KB, 475x356) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
136 KB, 475x356
A dream I had just last night, This idea is just came out of the oven and still needs sometime
Anyway the main points are, two groups of Teens stuck in a hunted house, force to play "games" to keep the other group alive
While shooting shotguns and the teens getting into knife fights with the Hunted House's "employees"

>How many pages is it?
Like 5 pages in a note book

Whatever I could have gotten done before I left this morning

>Have you reached it?
Maybe?

Someone who is suffering from a brain disorder the prevents fear from happening in the mind
He can't even understand that his life is in danger but at the same time he's the only who can do anything
Because fear isn't holding him back

Antag likes to feed off fear and has a ego about it
The Protag can't into fear so the Antag is all into trying to get him to feel fear while fucking with his friends

Courage the Cowardly Dog
>>
>>69503752
>not commenting
how far the mighty have fallen
>>
File: 1353299126931.jpg (15 KB, 349x328) Image search: [Google]
1353299126931.jpg
15 KB, 349x328
>>69504133
Jokes on you, I was never mighty!
>>
>>69504228
YOU SON OF A BITCH
>>
>>69503752
If he doesn't feel fear, how does he react to the life and death situations he finds himself in? What is it that drives him to want to survive?
>>
File: 1398673604504.jpg (20 KB, 257x230) Image search: [Google]
1398673604504.jpg
20 KB, 257x230
>>69504365
I win

>>69504567
He reacts to almost dying like how a small kid would, but not noticing that he could have died
What drive hims is to protect his friends and his thinking is like this "If I get hurt then I can't help my friends so I better not get hurt"
Not "holy shit holy shit that crazy with the ax nearly ax me!"
>>
>What I'm currently writing

Not writing yet, but got kind of a fun idea for a story.

The Baker's Dozen

Jonathan Doe is a young baker struggling to run his families quickly dying business. The mysterious deaths of his parents, the true master bakers of the family have caused Jon to lose hope in himself. The day before he is ready to sell his shop, the house is broken into by a bear. In fear for his life, Jon fearfully holds a knife on the beast, only to discover that the bear can talk. Know only as "The Bakery Bear" the creature claims no small amount of mystical abilities and offers Jonathan a deal, He will save his business on Jon's terms, by making him the greatest baker who ever lived, and that from his hands would spring forth the most masterful goods the world had ever seen, all in return for the bear being allowed to eat everything left in the shop.

When he awakens the next day Jon finds all his goods eaten and his kitchen in a terrible state. But still something drives him to try baking, and soon Jon discovers that his flesh has the ability to become the consistency of dough, and he is able to create as much as he'd like, and of any consistency. However, when he falls asleep that night, his dough flesh frees itself and bakes itself into 13 different beings with assorted personalities and mischievous intentions. They break free from the shop and go on to spread havoc throughout the village and other nearby towns. Seeing the accidental chaos he's caused, Jon calls forth the Bakery Bear to take back what he now sees as a curse. The bear returns and reveals that he did not mean to give Jon the sentient magic, and because of it, it has drastically weakened the bear, splitting his mystical powers into the 13 beings. The story follows Jon and the Bakery Bear as together they hunt the beings, which have come to be known by the townspeople as, The Baker's Dozen.
>>
>>69504810
Why does this guy have the mind of a small kid when he can't feel fear?
>>
File: lol work in fucking progress.png (116 KB, 778x518) Image search: [Google]
lol work in fucking progress.png
116 KB, 778x518
Well...
>>
File: Cliff And Monica.png (3 MB, 2400x1553) Image search: [Google]
Cliff And Monica.png
3 MB, 2400x1553
>>69495391
A writefag general that hasn't disappeared before I've spotted it! It's been so long.

You know what I'm working on: cyberpunk, cyberpunk and cyberpunk (I also have ideas ranging from sci-fi to horror). Instead of constantly expositing on my cyberpunk story's world and writing it down, I plan to finally get on the writing part. I've finally fleshed out all of the main details and stories I can come up with at the moment. I've also got a drawing tablet now, so I hope to draw out most of my concepts, which is insanely useful.
>How many pages is it?
Counting all that I have about this one project, I have 26 tabs for it in Onenote. I can't measure pages in it but I have a ton of detail and plot outlines written out in large journal-like excerpts.
To write what I have as a comic script and storyboard it when I can. I'm multitasking a lot and my artwork is adequate, albeit slow.
>Have you reached it?
Just got the tablet, need to adjust to it and get started on my art. But I've been yapping about this project for what feels like eternity so feel free to slap me for not doing more in the free time I had.
Ranges between Cliff Avino and Monica Kendall.
It is never made clear who the main antagonist(s) is/are throughout the story. It shifts between the macroporations that Cliff works for as a gendarmerie and Monica's previous connections to her conscripted duty under the shambling juggernaut of the American military. These connections are reciprocated by other important characters, so it's not just a flat protag/antag dichotomy.
Bowman from 2001, Motoko Kusanagi or any version of Blue Beetle.
>>
>>69495391
The working title is Unacknowledged but Not Ignored. A mage tries to avoid the horrific deaths and disfigurements of his ancestors by becoming a funeral director.
A light hearted if violent at times modern fantasy novel, and my first attempt to write something that isn't depressing.
>How many pages is it?
Parlov 'Boris' Del Angel: A skilled if weak pyromancer raised on stories of his ancestors varied and many deaths. Convinced by his grandfather that the soldiers life is one of self sacrifice and bravery, he did his best to be neither one netting himself a series of recommendations suggesting he should stay away from the armed services to focus on the business world.
Uncharismatic and a bit dumpy, the title refers to his uncanny luck at being completely ignored by his peers but being seen as the second coming of christ by psychopaths and violent weirdos.
Friendly enemies would be the best word for it. Boris is a ,if not provoked, harmless, unambitious mage and the antagonist is a wise old man who doesn't expect him to die horribly for the family name. . They just happen to be tryimg to kill each other because ones a fookin mage and the others a anti mage wack job.
>Who is your favorite character in comics/literature
Sean Callan from The Power of the Dog
>>
>>69506395
Holy shit that guy's fingers are fucked up.
>>
>>69506699
Another guy made it for me a while back. It was free concept art and he was really nice about it. My art's noticeably worse, and I'm slower so I'm glad I have it.
>>
I have been diving into the deep end of girl friendships, specifically in the clash of traditional gender roles in a heavily sex-stratified society.

Or, even more than that, I've been exploring what happens to a friendship when one of the friends is extraordinary, and one is merely ordinary. When one gets to shirk their expected duties and one has to fulfill them.

It's interesting.
>>
File: 1410741194630.jpg (68 KB, 700x647) Image search: [Google]
1410741194630.jpg
68 KB, 700x647
>>69508121
i've explored those alot, they certainly are interesting.
>>
File: kamenriderooo_eiji_ankh.jpg (116 KB, 500x406) Image search: [Google]
kamenriderooo_eiji_ankh.jpg
116 KB, 500x406
>>69495666
Well, Mr. Satan, the best thing you can do is meld the plot progression and character building together a bit. Just think of how the story's situations would affect the both of them and put a little emphasis on it.

Think of Marlin and Dory from that very movie. A lot of the events that move the plot forward also make demonstrations of their relationship. Their encounter with the sharks, the whale, the turtles... all of that helps. Thus giving the audience the opportunity to get attached.

Another example are these two MCs right here (Eijo Hino and Ankh) from Kamen Rider OOO. They have a stressed relationship, and like with Marlin and Dory the audience gets to see that relationship in practice throughout the show's events. Some of these events are when humans are in danger, and Eiji wants to help while Ankh doesn't care so long as he gets the treasure he's after.

tl;dr: Remember that plot progression and character building don't have to be mutually exclusive and can work with each other.
>>
>>69495391

My take on the superhero genre. Establishing tone and exposition in a limited number of pages is a bitch.

>How many pages is it?
Eight Issues. Each issue clocks in at 24 pages each (4-5 panels per page max -- Jupiter's Legacy layout). Four of the issues are already full scripted. The others are somewhat written but are not in the correct format.

Whatever happens, happens.

>Have you reached it?
Certainly.

An individual with strictly regenerating powers. Honestly, he's a little underwhelming because he's a reactive character rather than a proactive character. While it's proving to be a pain to work with, I love his design and attitude.

He works for the antagonist.

Norman Osborn. Just because there are so many different takes on him. You have biblical osborn (ultimate version), unhinged osborn (ellis), composed osborn (dark avengers), and comicy rhyming insanity osborn (slott--jenkins).
>>
File: space dandy banner.jpg (169 KB, 768x1920) Image search: [Google]
space dandy banner.jpg
169 KB, 768x1920
>>69495391
Space Dandy/Steven Universe crossover whose overarching story is blitzed with crazy genre stuff that feeds into the main through line. Just finished the fourth chapter which is kind of the bone marrow of the entire shebang. I'm actually pretty proud of how it turned out:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/10824296/4/A-Crystal-Heart-s-Easy-to-Break-Baby

Check it out. Comments and Critiques welcome.

>How many pages is it?

So far? It's 169 Pages of story. Not sure how many it will be by the time I reach the 7th chapter, which will be the final one.

800-1000 words.

>Have you reached it?

I endeavor to try, but sometimes I get hung up on how I should describe this sequence or object in the plot. Picture's worth a thousand words and all that.

Steven, Pearl, and Space Dandy.

The story jumps between the past and the present.

In the past, you have all these weird adventures with murder mysteries and space pirates, but it eventually becomes clear that Dandy's the antagonist of this portion as he's obstructing the pursuit of Pearl's goal and pursuing his own agenda.

In the present, Pearl still thinks this is still the case, though its ambiguous as to whether Dandy's purpose in her town is a sinister one, but through her rash actions accidentally thrusts him into the role. They are both in pursuit of a greater menace that ends up embodying a lot of the overarching themes of the narrative and the dark sides of one another though. So there's a big, insane punch-up at the end.

Ciaphas Cain. Hilarious, Reprehensible, and Utterly Compelling. Believe the hype! Just not that hype.
>>
File: moon fight.png (143 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
moon fight.png
143 KB, 1366x768
Working on my nonexistent web-series/potential cartoon idea.

The Moon Fighters. It's a goofy comedy about three roommates who have been roped into becoming this kind of weird vigilante supervillain organization by Ted, the "leader" of the group. It starts out as him looking for an outlet for his depression after his girlfriend leaves him, but girlfriends aren't important in this series, and Ted really just wants to fight the moon.

Not destroy it.
Just kinda get up there... and smack it around a little.

I've written six or seven full episodes, but today I got really sad and decided to cheer myself up by writing a five minute short.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/255828612/Moon-Fighters-Short-1
>>
>>69495391
So out of curiosity exactly how light hearted is what you are writing?

Is it Grimdark or noble bright?
>>
File: 1423883896479.jpg (39 KB, 348x333) Image search: [Google]
1423883896479.jpg
39 KB, 348x333
>>69511744
can't it be a healthy mix of both?
>>
for you faggots
>http://writerswrite.co.za/the-top-10-tips-for-plotting-and-finishing-a-book
>http://veiledandvile.tumblr.com/post/69353159976/ultimate-writing-resource-list
>http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2011/08/02/25-ways-to-fuck-with-your-characters/
>http://io9.com/what-happens-if-you-gender-swap-characters-when-reading-1495912123
>http://awesomewritingprompts.tumblr.com/
>>
>>69511744
Two grim dark projects and a supposedly light one.
I can't write happy stuff to save my life. The lighthearted project has spurts of violence that go beyond some of my other stuff and it's supposed to be a comedy.
>>
File: 1423616360697.jpg (153 KB, 742x720) Image search: [Google]
1423616360697.jpg
153 KB, 742x720
>>69513571
>those 25 "tips" for fucking with your characters
i've already done all that shit. plus i think the majority of writefags know those.
>posting an io9 link
yeah no.
>>
>>69504922
The idea is still new as fuck with many holes so for now I have no idea what to tell you

>>69508121
I was just hanging out with a few friends and two are just like that
I want theses two together so badly I pretty much shipping them

>>69513651
hey you can talk shit about Io9
The only one that is awful among that group of sites is Kotaku
>>
File: 1423176738680.gif (171 KB, 212x327) Image search: [Google]
1423176738680.gif
171 KB, 212x327
>>69513875
>shipping your friends
no, bad Dead.
>>
File: 1285196245992.gif (987 KB, 244x139) Image search: [Google]
1285196245992.gif
987 KB, 244x139
>>69513912
But it's fun
>>
File: 1423377099872.png (446 KB, 866x575) Image search: [Google]
1423377099872.png
446 KB, 866x575
>>69514367
you're a madman
an absolute madman
>>
>>69514839
But seriously those are some good links
>>
So, what's the one writer out there that gives you the hope that you'll be exponentially better? I'm watching a longplay of David Cage games, they're giving me plenty of optimism.
>>
>>69495391
The first in sort of an anthology about an extremely diverse group of young and extremely attractive super heroes who learn life lessons about family, friendship and acceptance in the context of fighting ninjas, terrorists, and evil cyborgs.I wanted to keep it as basic as possible because this is the first big thing I've ever done.
>How many pages is it?
Mostly mapping it out.
Nothing yet.
>Have you reached it?
Nope.
Every character gets their own story. The first one is focused on Joel. A-List movie star by day, superhero by night, he seeks justice for the innocent and validation for himself.
I'm not really sure about a main antagonist, but the main obstacle is a terrorist group known as Second Sun. The real overarching villain of the whole series is the insecurities and fears of the protagonists.
Comics: Too many.

>>69495627
Do you have a pastebin of all the lore? I would love to read that.

>>69495993
129 pages of outline? That's awesome.

>>69503752
So it's reverse-Saw meets Lord of the Flies? Neat.

>>69504850
You had me at "the house is broken into by a bear"

>>69506395
Is this a webcomic or a story? Either would be great.
>>
>>69516477
All of that sounds like it would make a great Saturday morning cartoon
I'll watch it

>So it's reverse-Saw meets Lord of the Flies? Neat.
That is a great way to explain it, thanks!

>>69516428
I can't really think of any
>>
>>69516477
Comic/graphic novel, but a webcomic might be my best route. I'd have to pay for an artist to get it off its feet, though. I'd like to write it in volumes rather than issues.
>>
>>69506395
That artwork is neat as fuck.
>>
>>69511377
That Name might be a little too goofy
>>
>TFW you have over a dozen stories started but will never finish because you hate your own writing style

Fuck I'm about to start another one I'll never add onto after today.
>>
>>69517546
Man, you need a confidence booster
Go join a writing work shop
>>
>>69516428
You ever heard of Corey Doctrow.
He got published. I have hope.
>>
>>69516477
as awesome as it is to have a 129 outline for making sure everything fits and to weed out the plotholes. It sucks because I probably rewrote over 100 additional pages because I thought of different events and needed to rewrite everything leading up to that point
>>
>>69517714
Is he really that bad?
>>
>>69518980
It's a matter of taste but as far as I've seen his book Little Brother is universally mocked on /tg/.
>>
>>69516428
considering Twilight and Hunger Games both got published I'm decently confident
>>
Erotic fiction for 'WickedWorks.com'.
>How many pages is it?
Seven, so far.
Stephen King's 'beginner' recommendation of 1,000 words per day. I hope to reach 2,000 soon, though.
>Have you reached it?
I was, until the holidays distracted me and I lost my momentum. I'm trying to get back into it.
A former adventuress who was captured by pirates and then sold as a slave to the antagonist, a venerable goblin alchemist.
Slave, sex-pet, punching-bag, and dispenser of alchemically enhanced, youth restoring semen.
Spider-Man.
>>
A story told in Irony, where the narration tells of a god that punishes and rules over his flock with an iron fist until a freedom fighter comes along, when in actuality, the god was usurped by greedy and vicious men looking to create an empire.

>How many pages is it?
Three so far, hoping to keep it between eight and ten.
Don't have one, but when I sit down and write I try to at least do 1000-3000 words
>Have you reached it?
Nope
Either the god, or the man that kills him.
See above
Dick Grayson for capes, but its more with the potential of the character that I don't think is realized that well. For not cape stuff, probably Griffith for what an insufferable piece of shit he is, and his general arc as a villain.
>>
>>69513875
And Jezebel, and Gawker to a certain extent.
>>
>>69517714
Hey, I've met him. He attended a sci-fi/fantasy convention I was at.
>>
>>69519832
And?
>>
>>69519371
Lifehacker is my personal favorite

>>69519371
Are you getting paid for this?

>>69519763
Let it be both, show both sides of the story
>>
>>69520299

OP of >>69519763

It sort of does. The narration comprises of a sort of fable, or children's story, while the art is the facts and the grim nature of what really happened, since history is written by the victors.

Story's more a companion piece to a proper story that I am working on. Sort of a side story thing since I want to do a series of shorts that act as a sort of companion bible/world building tool.

Kinda like how the one off stories in the comic Spera help flesh out the world and characters, but are ancillary to the plot proper.

No idea if this will pay off, but if nothing else, its writing practice.
>>
>>69520299
>Are you getting paid for this?
The plan was to release it as an illustrated story. As such, I would receive a percentage of each copy sold.

Unfortunately, Wicked's fallen on some rough times lately, so the future is uncertain. I'm going to continue on with the story regardless, though, as I enjoy writing and like the characters.

Visit his site. If you like the content and feel like purchasing one of his comics, know that you'd be helping out a genuinely good person.
>>
>>69520099
It wasn't very exciting. He gave a talk about cybersecurity, since that seems to be his specialty.

He also had an interesting critique of Ender's Game in a panel discussion.
>>
>>69516477
>Do you have a pastebin of all the lore? I would love to read that.
unfortunately i don't right now, although i have thought about it. the problem is that what i have written down is pretty much a bunch of jumbled garbage footnotes that don't make much sense.
>>
>>69495391
Episodic Sci-fi novel.
>>How many pages is it?
only 4 so far
>>What is your daily quota?
I'm trying to do a paragraph a day, but I've been slipping, don't intend to give up though
>>Who is your protagonist?
A regular joe named Kenny Belz who likes video games and anime and is a generally likable guy because he can get along with just about anybody.
>>What is their relationship to your antagonist?
Though not directly, he was chosen specifically because the alien race thought it would be entertaining to see this normal guy who has zero leadership skills be forced to lead a team of people who do not take kindly to being lead
>>Who is your favorite character in comics/literature?
I like run of the mill guys that get put into a situation that's way out of their depth but can stand up to the challenge, even if they fail. John constantines, old dogs that have been around a while and have developed beliefs and such and have them challenged.

I also got my friend to draw some of my more alien characters to give me more of a solid idea of what I want from them since they keep changing in my mind.
>>
>>69520474
Yeah Spera did hit on something good with how it tell it's stories
>>
>>69521484
>John Constantine
>Run of the mill guy
>>
Hey, I know I've probably asked this before but the more opinions I get the better. How does this sound for a good ability one of the main antagonists possess?

He has the ability to manipulate thoughts. Not soo much mind control as the ability to increase a specific thought in a persons mind. For instance, I tell you to kill someone. At first you absolutely refuse. However, the thought that maybe it's a good idea begins to creep into the forefront of your mind until you believe in that idea and that it was your idea
>>
>>69521782
How would you express this power being played out in the mind of the characters he's attacking?
>>
>>69521842
you're completely unaware. That being said it isn't a sure thing. If you have strong will, conviction and would absolutely never do the act he tries to convince you to do then it wont work. Also, once corrupted you can become un-corrupted if you either become aware of it or break through it
>>
>>69521842
to better explain it. For the person who is corrupted it would seem as if you just changed your mind on something
>>
>>69495391

I've been hired to write a AU reboot of pic related.

>How many pages is it?

~125

Let's say 3? I only just started and I rewrite a lot.

>Have you reached it?

No :(

Bunny, a lonely girl livin' in a lonely world who got pulled into a noir setting.

Mostly fear at this point.

I'm going to get pilloried for this, but Vriska Serket. Miko from Order of the Stick also works. I like base breakers.
>>
>>69513620
>The lighthearted project has spurts of violence that go beyond some of my other stuff and it's supposed to be a comedy.
That's odd. Usually it's the other way around.
>>
>>69521782
>>69521921
>>69521946
seems neat
>>
>>69521491
Its a great way to tell its lighthearted fantasy story.

Hopefully I can adapt that formula to something that draws more from the weird fantasy we got in the PS2/Early PS3 era from shit like Drakengard and what not rather than the SNES PSX era Spera was born of.

If not, at least I gave a damn enough to try.
>>
>>69522456
It's the whole guns vs magic thing. Most of my MCs have shared the trait of being marksmen. Shooting is by no means cleaner or less violent than other methoda of killing people but it's a far cry from beating someone to death with fiery brass knuckles.
>>
File: roman.png (600 KB, 547x524) Image search: [Google]
roman.png
600 KB, 547x524
> the state of the webcomics thread.

I know the create threads can be a little nuts by jeez louise.
>>
>>69495391
An amateur fanfic which I am using as practice for when I get better. When I do get better, I plan to write that Bangsian fantasy story that I have always wanted to write.
>How many pages is it?
The fanfic is currently 24 chapters (around 13-15 pages each) on fanfiction.net and the Bangsian fantasy is a WIP.
A chapter, of anything, at least once per week. But I hope to expand this quota.
>Have you reached it?
Mostly reached but there were times when I just couldn't. Trying to carve out writing time among school and work is a real challenge.
For the Bangsian fantasy, the protagonist is a "geistmancer", a living human who can possess ghosts and demons instead of the other way around.
The antagonist wants a map that belongs to the protagonist. Said map contains a layout of the entire Afterlife realm and has certain magical properties.
This is a hard one. But I guess I'll go with Kissoon from Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show because of how much of a threat he posed in the story.
>>
>>69506624
Is this going to be episodic or will there be an overarching plot? Sounds interesting.

>>69521484
I feel like him being able to get along with anybody has already put him on the path to being a good leader. Maybe give him an apparent flaw that makes the aliens see him as a terrible unfitting leader (i.e terrible decision making skills). Those are just my two cents.

>>69521986
>Noir setting
>With bunny samurai girls
I'm intrigued.

>>69504850
I like it. Sounds like the Gingerbread Man with shonen tropes. And of course the talking bear makes it even better.
>>
>>69525003
Thanks! Think I will start working on it. I've been thinking of the possibilities of bread powers and honest they don't seem too silly. He'd be kind of like Swamp Thing in his ability to become, as well as control all forms of bread.
"Got some crumbs in your hideout?" BAM HE'S IN.
Endgame with enough flour he could make a bread mech or something!
Christ I'm stupid.
The talking bear is actually based on a Schlosser short story I always liked, literally called "The Bakery Bear"
>>
>>69525003
It starts off episodic but as it goes on two plot points start popping up repeatedly.
The mental instability of pyromancers in relation to the frequency and their degree of their power use and the lack of firestarters over thirty that aren't psychopaths.
>>
>>69524561
What the fuck is bangdiesm?
>>
>>69524519
Which one?
>>
So Batman I'm kinda stuck between two ideas for a web comic. If I drop one im still gonna use it for a little art project I'm working on but I really need to decide which one I should dedicate my time to.

>The first one is a story set in an odd Galaxy, filled with odd and abstract planets (think super Mario Galaxy). It's a science fantasy story focusing on a space ship and its crew led by a traveling wizard. They run a shop out of the ship and go planet to planet selling potions and items, as well as hunting down magical items, bounties, and other odds and ends

>the other is a story about a crew of a 24 hour gas station on the outskirts of a town filled with supernatural activity. I kinda based this of the old night shift threads on /tg/ but I feel like this has a lot of potential if I were to expand on it.

Which of these do you think would be a more interesting premise?
>>
>>69526585
Damn it they both sound awesome, who's the main characters and what are they like?
>>
>>69519371
>>69520501
That's... a lot of genital violence.
>>
>>69525003
>I feel like him being able to get along with anybody has already put him on the path to being a good leader. Maybe give him an apparent flaw that makes the aliens see him as a terrible unfitting leader (i.e terrible decision making skills). Those are just my two cents.

would be, but it involves some explaining on the other team mates to see why he's having a tough time.

First is Chitana, a bug woman from a hunter gatherer warrior tribe. Her tribes whole deal is if you beat someone in a fight, you have total control over what they do and access to all their stuff to do with as you please, but there is no enmity between the two fighters. It's just a thing that happens and you can challenge anybody at anytime and win in anyway possible. it's a big insult for someone to beat you and then you do favors for them, like taking huge pity on them. It's gonna be a big tadition thing like asian countries in a manner, so even if he is nice, he does things that are foul in her culture.

Second is a princess from a kingdom that's thousands of years old and expands several galaxies wide. She's accustomed to ruling billions of people and to be lead by someone of such a low class, who's not as smart or fit from a species much more primitive than hers. She doesn't like it one bit.

last is A big tough guy, think someone like Lobo or Vilgax from Ben 10 who's a bounty hunter and a lone wolf by nature so taking orders to him is completely alien.

They're also forced to follow the leader because the followers are physically unable to harm their leader (intentionally). If they try to punch or choke their leader they freeze up and keel over. They must also do whatever command the leader gives them, albeit they understand what the leader is saying.

I have a pretty big universe laid out
>>
>>69526327
You mean Bangsian fantasy? It's just a sub genre of works about characters exploring/going to the afterlife. Dante's Inferno is an example.
>>
>>69526984
Well the science fiction one more centers around the crew of the ship rather than a single individual. There's

> the wizard, a venerable traveler who is giving up the arcane for a life of wealth and leisure, but first he has to acquire the money to do so.
> His grandson who has arcane abilities aswell, he's late teens but is a hotheaded young man who still needs to grow up
>his Granddaughter, the protege's older sibling, she's a bit more free spirited and relaxed. She acts as the grandfathers assistant and is also a rather skilled with a sword. But can't seem to find her calling
>the ship's doctor, a young insectoid alien whose egg was discovered by the Wizard a few years back, and is now on the search for her home. She looks like a mix of a spider and a moth and can craft tapestry and clothing using her silk. It also has healing properties. (And she's adorable, holy hell I love the design she has.)

Those are the ones I've fleshed out so far, there's also an alien bard, a mechanic, the Wizards monk friend, and the ships AI. Maybe a few more minor characters on the ship if I decide on it.

The other mainly centered around a young man who is transferred to this station in the middle of nowhere for "training" he begin to experience weird paranormal and supernatural happenings and uncover a bigger a bigger mystery behind it all. Finding help in some of the townsfolk who have a bit of a monster hunting secret society at the town library. Haven't fleshed many of them out yet. But there was the main characters were the transfer who can take the powers of an elemental, a witch and her skeletal body guard, a sentient raven, and a werewolf.

The second one needs a bit more lore and background than the first but I'm just trying to decide which one I feel would be more interesting to work on right now. I definitely like them both but I can always set one aside for the time being to get more invested in the other.
>>
>>69528443
Then work on the first if the other one still needs more time
Just save it for now and come back for it later
>>
>>69495391

Actually getting high and getting some writing done tonight, something I keep telling myself I'd do but procrastinate too much.

But I've been reading comics and watching Arrow and Flash to get some inspirational juices going too.

But I'm working on my own super hero/cape universe. Basing several novels, comics and a video game or two and/or animated movie with it. Tonight I'm just jotting down general stuff that I've been thinking about lately, getting a better more productive grasp on my thoughts.
>>
>>69529621
Don't get too high, you don't want all your creativity coming from weed alone
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.