[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think of Oni Press?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: logo.png (26 KB, 400x334) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
26 KB, 400x334
What does /co/ think of Oni Press?
>>
>>78634921
Everyone here and their inbred cousin tried to pitch to them when they had their open submission thing a while back, nobody even got a personalized rejection letter so now it's on the hate list.
>>
Several years ago I read this thing where "Even if you do get rejected from those you submit your comics to, don't be discouraged because often times you'll get feedback on your work; There is no reason not to submit"

And without that being true anywhere anymore, it's truly a depressing affair.

I didn't submit anything myself. Mainly because I saw that censorship red flag, and the aforementioned thing.

I don't have a lot of faith in these people, even though they are the "best" option right now, aside from trying to hack it as a webcomic.

Meh.
>>
>>78635703

Did they ever even end up having their second open submission thing? That was supposed to start in like, October or November.

Or are they "still" sorting through all the submissions from the open period that ended in June/July?
>>
>>78635703
They're not on my hate list at all. I just don't know what they want.

They only picked one person from open submissions as far as I know. And they gave feedback to next to nobody else so it's a giant question mark because the gamut was pretty much covered.

So I'm gonna submit to them again. I just gotta figure out what they even want.
>>
>>78638931

They were never going to give feedback, there was just too many people submitting. The era of personal feedback from submissions is over, too many people aspire to the mantle of being a creative, so you've got to send form letters just to keep the production line going.

As for me, I like Oni a lot, and I don't have any hard feelings about being rejected. They didn't want what I was selling, and that's life. The editors seem like nice folks, and Kaijumax is fun.

>>78637255

"We are not interested in stories involving X" isn't censorship, it's a basic submission guideline.
>>
>>78634921
Submitted. Got rejected. That's fine. Just gotta keep working.
>>
>>78639198

You're never going to know what they want. Ever. That's the thing about editors: even with a well set out editorial policy, not even they know what they're going to pick when the slush pile comes in. Editors will even reject stories they like, just because they're not right for the climate of the publishing company at the moment.

Keep submitting when they allow you to. Being too meek is just as dangerous for your career as being too arrogant. There's a happy medium between the two, you just need to find it. Have confidence in your artistic aspirations, and always follow the submission directions. The only time a submission ever ends up in the trash without being read is when the writer/artist/cartoonist doesn't follow directions.
>>
>>78639096
No ill will. I just would like to have a better idea of what they're looking for. I'd hate to waste their time with more bullshit when they've already got so much else to do
>>
>>78639431
Ah sorry for deleting the last post and putting in a new one. I wanted to properly communicate my struggle with a bit less of a bitter and meek tone.
>>
>>78634921

They're OK.

With Wasteland ending last year, though, and The Sixth Gun nearing its conclusion, there aren't many original Oni Press titles that I'm too keen on, except for Kaijumax, the "series of miniseries" that is Stumptown, and maybe Stringers.

It seems like the talent that was responsible for a lot of the company's breakthrough hits from the early/mid-2000s have been taking a lot of their prime material to Image Comics and Dark Horse in recent years.

I do plan on getting the recolored editions of Chris Schweizer's Crogan Adventures graphic novels, though (a top five historical comic, IMO), and Oni Press does have a number of solid, underrated gems in its back-catalogue (Queen & Country, The Mysterious Strangers, etc.), so even if a lot of the new stuff they're currently putting out doesn't really grab me, I can still see myself supporting their output via reissues/reprints.
>>
>>78639096
>"We are not interested in stories involving X" isn't censorship, it's a basic submission guideline.
No no, that's not how they worded it.
>>
It's a company that takes ideas from all comers and they've made some great books and have a pretty nice staff, the colorist from the Invader Zim comic gave a great interview for this podcast I work on and their social media person was pretty keen on listening to suggestions which is always nice. It seems like a nice group of folks.
>>
>>78639727

Yes, the wording was a bit stronger than that, but the that's what the basic idea boiled down to. Laying down your guidelines isn't censorship.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.