[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Morrison creates Marvel Boy, a cool new character specifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: Noh-Varr-as-Protector-580x390.jpg (76 KB, 580x390) Image search: [Google]
Noh-Varr-as-Protector-580x390.jpg
76 KB, 580x390
>Morrison creates Marvel Boy, a cool new character specifically made for the 21st century
>sets in in a new non-616 universe, with interesting new villains and concepts
>Sequel hook has him arrested and sent to the Cube, but still set on fixing the world

But then:

>Bendis gets control of character
>rectons the story to take place in 616
>makes him an Avengers
>renames him Protector
>gives him pic-related costume
>generally doesn't do anything interesting with
him

>now Marvel Boy languishes in the Tumblr side of Marvel

Probably Bendis' worst sin desu
>>
Marvel Boy is great in YA.

And if you are a Morrison's MB fan, you are not missing on anything by simply ignoring both Bendis or Gillen.
>>
>>78606898
>gives him pic-related costume
What exactly changed between those two pictures? It's got to be the most subtle edgy redesign in cape comics history!
>>
>>78606898
But in reality:

>Morrison wants to do weird sci-fi concepts like Kree Bible
>Bill Jemas says fuck that and fuck you
>Joe Quesada tries to mediate, is unsuccessful
>Morrison declares Marvel is done at a convention, goes to DC
>Dejected Joe Quesada passes Joss Whedon and offers him X-Men on the spot

Weird how things work. Jemas and Morrison's beef leading to Whedon working with Marvel and eventually directing the Avengers movies.
>>
>Morrison creates [...] a [...] new character
There's your problem.

Never create a new character while working for Marvel or DC, because that character won't belong to you, and someone else can take them and ruin them at any time.

Morrison's an idiot.
>>
>>78607030
That's two pictures of the same suit...Not a transition from one costume to another.

If you are completely ignorant of a topic it's best to just stay quiet and learn.
>>
>Bendis gets control of character

I've mostly just kind of side stepped the majority of Bendis' work and thus have no real hatred of him. But there seems to be this recurring issue of him becoming fond of some relatively minor character, giving them a push in to the spotlight, and then usually messing it up because he doesn't really "get it". He likes the character but doesn't understand how they actually work and so ends up recreating them almost accidentally. Which kind of kills the point of the push in the first place.

I don't know how much of it is his fault specifically, but yeah, going from Marvel Boy to Young Avengers was incredibly jarring.
>>
>>78607285
>Bendis Luke Cage
Jesus Christ
>>
>>78607285
All those comics were pet projects who could be read as virtually stand alone, essentially meaning that have stronger and more unique flavour to them. By bringing it into Avengers, he made it into standard vanilla superhero fair.
>>
>>78607136
i do not see how Bendis doing whatever "ruins" the original Marvel Boy comic books.
>>
>>78607030
You are a goddamn moron and I wish your kind were purged from the Earth.
>>
>>78607111
So, everything that could go wrong went wrong?
>>
>>78607413
Would the story and character have been ruined for you if it had been published through Image and had held no ties to the Marvel multiverse?

Would the story and character have been ruined for you if only Morrison (or people given permission by Morrison) were permitted to write sequels?
>>
>>78607136
>Morrison's an idiot
dude has made millions off of his comics and comics related work. who's the idiot again?
>>
>>78607967
Morrison, of course.
>>
>>78607988
Millar GTFO
>>
File: HURR.jpg (45 KB, 634x571) Image search: [Google]
HURR.jpg
45 KB, 634x571
>>78607030
>>
>>78606955
What's wrong with Kamala?
>>
File: fuck fate.png (929 KB, 1065x1063) Image search: [Google]
fuck fate.png
929 KB, 1065x1063
>>78607111
So this is basically all Bill Jemas's fault that we are currently plague with Bendis.
>>
>>78607285

Apparently he wrote Magik as one of the central protagonists of Uncanny X-Men for YEARS without anyone disabusing him of one extremely essential misunderstanding about her: He was asked about introducing a love interest for her, and he was like "No, she's a child in an adult's body. What's wrong with you?" Which is not and has never been true. She grew up in an alternate dimension where time moved faster than on Earth, so while to us she seemed to skip from early childhood to late teens, from HER perspective she lived through all of those years and has all the life experience and maturity of an adult.
>>
>>78607111
From a talk with fans at a comic store appearance, way back in 2005:
>The crowd eventually steered the discussion to Morrison's past work in the Marvel Universe, which he characterized as very gritty and pedestrian, "with so many rules and limitations... it's all based in the streets of New York City. I just didn't feel comfortable in the Marvel Universe." He defended his controversial "New X-Men" run as about, among other things, the next generation of man and ordinary people's reactions to them. Morrison also noted that while other X-scribes have employed the X-Men as a means to discuss issues of race and homosexuality, his run was about what he finds to be a growing hatred of children and the adult world's apparent mission to stifle children's ability to express themselves. He also touched on the internal politics of his lauded "Marvel Boy" series, which, according to Morrison, then-publisher Bill Jemas refused to allow to develop to its full cosmic potential. "[Jemas] couldn't wrap his head around it," Morrison said. "Jemas wanted Marvel Boy based in a steel town, 'fixing things up good!'"

I'm not as down on Jemas as some but the guy has notoriously bad ideas.
>>
>>78608095
She's a muslim.
>>
File: 1444447436043.jpg (700 KB, 1000x767) Image search: [Google]
1444447436043.jpg
700 KB, 1000x767
>>78608299
>>
>>78608299

Yea it's the planet's second most popular religion and also the fastest growing. You should probably kill yourself to avoid living in this world, don't you think?
>>
>>78608299
Let's pretend that is a flaw. What else is wrong with her to warrant such hate?
>>
>>78608272
Morrison confirmed for idiot.

Never create new characters while working for Marvel or DC.
>>
File: Haras.png (82 KB, 256x512) Image search: [Google]
Haras.png
82 KB, 256x512
>>78608333
>The Year of Our Lord Two-Thousand and Sixteen.
>Tolerating the slaves of Termagant.

May God have mercy on your soul.
>>
>>78608377

Pretty sure he got taught that with Seven Soldiers and Batman Inc. as well but he keeps trying for some reason, god bless him.
>>
>>78606898
I didn't read Marvel Boy, but I still wish Bendis won an action-packed trip to Detroit for Guardians and what he did to third-best Ant-Man. My heart goes out for you, anon.
>>
>>78608220
On top of that, he let tumblr of all people convince him that Iceman was gay. Forget over 50 years of character and that he's been surrounded by some of the most powerful telepaths on Earth near constantly, no, a single telepath who's had knowledge of her powers for months is able to tell that he's gay. Why does Bendis still get work?
>>
>>78608272
>which he characterized as very gritty and pedestrian, "with so many rules and limitations... it's all based in the streets of New York City. I

Apparently that's what he needs then, because his Marvel work is great while his DC stuff is a incomprehensible mess.
>>
>>78612645

His creator-owned stuff sucks too while we're at it. Meta-meta-super-context-magic-is-real-dude-drugs-lmao crap.
>>
>>78608299
Dear god, what a childish faggot u r.
>>
File: 1436716550749.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1436716550749.jpg
105 KB, 1280x720
>>78612669
>Meta-meta-super-context-magic-is-real-dude-drugs-lmao crap
>>
>>78607603
Nope

Those aspects are irrelevant to me.
>>
>>78606898
And supposedly Gillen disliked what Bendis did and was a fan of Morrison which is why he used him in YA.

But yeah poor Marvel Boy got shat on.
>>
>>78612645
You are wrong.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.