[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were these ever actually a thing? I saw them in a lot of 90s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
Were these ever actually a thing? I saw them in a lot of 90s cartoons (Freakazoid had ones just like it, Mighty Max had even more elaborate ones). I mean I know VR was always a gimmicky thing that just kinda fell out of favor for a while after the virtual boy died, and only just came back with the oculus rift, but.. in cartoons there are entire banks of them in arcades, complete with weird little railingy things that you run on to.. make your character run? It seems too consistent to be fictional, and generally presented like "You should know what this is, kid"
>>
VR like this has existed for some time, but existed kind of like 3D movies did with the chromatic lenses. it was a crude and unappealing way of doing it, but it was something that had never been seen before, so it was briefly newsworthy and prevalent in the media. It's useful for military technology and other high-end uses like piloting drones, etc. so a lot of money was poured into it and it showed.

The current new trend of VR is making it robust enough to run basically anything in a believable way without the lag making the user nauseous. This has been do-able for decades, but not in a consumer-focused, compact model that supports third parties and is simple and cheap enough for the gaming market at large to buy into.
>>
yes but it was never as good as the way mighty max portrayed it

I remember there was a rail shooter that was pretty fun and a game where you were exploring a castle and had to find eggs and return them to the starting room while an enemy was trying to do the same, or maybe he was hunting you I can't remember. I played a lot more of the shooter than the other one. I also played a lot more of alpine racer than both of them.
>>
>>78524707
What do the feet things actually do? I thought drone pilots sat in chairs and operated them like a normal video game
>>
File: Metal_Men_04.jpg (135 KB, 500x709) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Men_04.jpg
135 KB, 500x709
>>78524838
Drones are unmanned aircraft it makes sense that they operate them like an RC plane or legit aircraft.
In this the feet thing is probably some form of treadmil so the system registers them walking.
>>
File: jetski.jpg (58 KB, 550x440) Image search: [Google]
jetski.jpg
58 KB, 550x440
>>78524460
>Were these ever actually a thing?
I never played one with a helmet, but there were a lot of these things and stuff like them.
>>
>>78524838
I used one once. You held a plastic gun and shot at some targets. There might have been a similar game with a sword. I think the bars that went around you had to do with tracking the weapon and your head.
>>
>>78524460
I actually used such a VR setup in an American mall in the 90s.

It was sort of stupid, but you have to do it once.
>>
>>78525038
yeah now those i've seen!
>>78524994
but I mean, how? is it like a giant trackball? you'd fall on your ass.
>>78525052
>Tracking bars
okay now THAT makes sense

as for drones, holy shit the second they get them set up to work with starfox controls I am going to kill every last terrorist
>>
>>78525134
becoming a drone pilot is extremely competitive, good luck, those guys also get severe PTSD despite sitting in an office environment because they are literally killing people all day and watch the whole bloody thing happen.
>>
>>78525227
Chair Force needs to cry me a river and then drown in it.

I fought Afghan insurgents in mountains for years. Came out PTSD free.
>>
>>78525255
wow so you took fire occasionally and shot at some distant targets in hills which you may or may not have ever actually hit

try killing people all day every day and watching them bleed out on infrared
>>
File: virtuality.jpg (11 KB, 400x235) Image search: [Google]
virtuality.jpg
11 KB, 400x235
>>78524460

Yes they existed. The company that made them was named Virtuality. The headsets had an abysmally small 26 degree field of view and 320*200 resolution.

They ran on a cluster of four Amiga 4000s and still barely managed 20fps pushing simple flat shaded polygons.

The main game they ran was named Dactyl Nightmare and was about as simple as deathmatch can get, with just one gun and one level, but there's a pteradactyl hunting you. If it ever catches you it lifts you high above the arena, then drops you to your death.

That was it. You'd pay $5 for 5 minutes. Later on some more advanced games running on better hardware came out, some of 'em ran 90s fpses like ROTT or Duke3D. But the HMDs simply sucked.

Now that Oculus is here, I would expect to see pay to play VR kiosks start to pop up again until it's affordable for the mainstream consumer.
>>
>>78525317
they should try dealing with people died and dying with in feet of them.

no drone operator ever had to go home and pack up his coworker's things because he died on mission.
>>
File: dactylnightmare.jpg (13 KB, 365x138) Image search: [Google]
dactylnightmare.jpg
13 KB, 365x138
Here's the only map in the game. Players also consisted of untextured polygons. The only gun was a pea shooter, non-hitscan, which fired a massive bullet that traveled in a slow downward arc.
>>
>>78525466
and did you?
>>
File: virtualityracing.jpg (19 KB, 296x324) Image search: [Google]
virtualityracing.jpg
19 KB, 296x324
There was also a sitdown cab where you could play a racing game. The third game they had was the one this anon is describing: >>78525052

where you are a knight stealing dragon eggs. It sucked too. They all sucked. They only had to be good enough to convince you that you didn't waste your 5 bucks. Most of what you got out of it was the gee whiz experience of trying VR.
>>
>>78525420
omg that was the game in freakazoid. wow.. someone there was a fan
>>
>>78525477
that is exactly how it went, i thought it was a gag
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.