[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Image Rec Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12
File: photo.jpg (47 KB, 715x715) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
47 KB, 715x715
So I hear they've made some really good series lately and I was curious what some anons thought was cool right now.
>>
here's a list of recs that i used to post on reddit. excuse the faggy wording.

I also rec the Wicked and the Divine although it's a bit Tumblry.
>>
>>78473388
Y-you didn't post an image......
>>
>>78473388
Official Image Comics recs

• Chew-wacky and brilliant food crime comedy about a detective with the ability to discover the history of anything just by eating it. I hope that you don't mind comedic cannibalism.
• Revival- the dead come back to life in rural Wisconsin, but they're not zombies…yet. a Gothic mystery is how I'd describe it. Also has the best written characters, including religious fanatics, potheads and a pair of estranged sisters, one which may or may not have just come back from the dead.
• East of West- sci-fi western dystopia starring the horsemen of the apocalypse, immortal cowboys and a child prodigy that will end the world. very trippy. very political. very smart.
• Manhattan Projects- Albert Einstein, J. Robert Oppenheimer, and other scientists are shown the real projects they worked on during the 1940s. hard science. hard ideas. hard violence. for WWII buffs and Stanley Kubrick fans.
• Morning Glories- imagine LOST at a preppy boarding school. as confusing as it is intriguing. However, teenagers are actually written realistically for once.
>>
>>78473412
• Zero- a secret agent looks back at his life and the tragic missions he used to pull off. Weird sci-fi at its finest. Concluded with 4 must read trades.
• Black Science- Centers around a group of almost too ambitious rogue scientists (and their rebellious teenage kids). Parallel dimensions + anarchy + backstabbing = a fantastic read
• Sex Criminals- a couple with powers to stop time each time they orgasm rob banks. just raunchy enough to be considered art. Don’t read it around your family
• Saga- One of the most popular indie comics on the market; star crossed parents in a world of sci-fi, fantasy, lie detecting cats, and royal TV heads. It’s Romeo and Juliet tossed in a crossover of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.
• Lazarus- imagine a futuristic Game of Thrones with a dash of Terminator. For fans of slick action and a strong female lead.
>>78473408
gimme a sec, gee whiz
>>
>>78473431
• Deadly Class- a group of teenage misfits attend a school for assassins in the 80’s. it’s like a love child between John Hughes and Quentin Tarantino. The violence is so stylized it’s like reading an arcade game, in the best way
• Rat Queens- medieval comedy series centering around a group of female adventurers in the middle ages. For lovers of drugs, candy, and Dungeons and Dragons
• Manifest Destiny- trippy retelling of Lewis and Clark’s famous journey out west, but with monsters at every turn. For horror and civil war fans.
• Southern Bastards- A good old-fashioned redneck crime drama. Imagine the Wire in a small southern town. Hopefully you enjoy high school football and tasty ribs. The most realistic book on this list, but also the most engrossing.
>>
>>78472961
The Activity, Lazarus and Velvet. If you like military and espionage story.

I Hate Fairyland. You can't go wrong with Skottie Young.
>>
File: comics-prophet[1].jpg (234 KB, 618x938) Image search: [Google]
comics-prophet[1].jpg
234 KB, 618x938
Would definitely recommend Prophet, it's what got me into Image Comics in the first place.

A space epic following the exploits of John Prophet. It's VERY minimal on story (so be prepared to not understand what the hell is going on, especially in the beginning), but is filled with amazing art from Brandon Graham.
>>
>>78473480
>>78473458
>>78473431
>>78473412
>>78473388
Don't Listen to these fags.
Just read prophet, supreme, and descender
>>
>>78472961
Highly Recommend:
>Paper Girls
>Sex Criminals
>Citizen Jack
>Saga

If some of these series released more than once every 2-4 months I think they would be way more popular

Other people like it but not for me tier:
>Southern Bastards
>Sex
>Chew

Cancelled too soon tier:
>Pisces
>>
>>78473480
>You can't go wrong with Skottie Young
ewww
>>
>>78473795
Your a faggot, just read prophet OP
>>
>No one likes Black Science
aw
>>
File: Black-Science-1-6.jpg (499 KB, 1988x1529) Image search: [Google]
Black-Science-1-6.jpg
499 KB, 1988x1529
>>78473863
>>
Wicked + Divine
Lazarus
Monstress
Deadly Class
Copperhead
Rasputin
Virgil
Paper Girls
Black Magick
Descender
Injection
>>
File: Stray-Bullets-top.jpg (433 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Stray-Bullets-top.jpg
433 KB, 630x420
Stray bullets do it op
>>78473388
>>78473412
>>78473431
>>78473458
>gee whiz
You're a faggot
>>78473480
Boring stuff
>>78473692
This
>>78473795
Shit Taste f a m
>>78473863
Boring writing with great art like all of remender's other books save for deadly class
>>78473890
Descender and deadly class only the rest is shit
>>
black science is good, great art and settings, but if you're familiar with the writer than you already know the fate that awaits everyone once the story is near the end, but I'm sure it'll be a fun ride towards depressing oblivion.

chew is neat, autumnlands is off to an interesting start, prophet is great, check out mice templar if you're a fan of stuff like redwall.

stay away from morning glories, it gets caught up in dropping a new twist and weird shit every two seconds and forgets about things like having a story that makes sense or having interesting characters.

elephantmen has false advertising. I thought more would done with it's setting and the fact that most of the protagonist are future cops but I just get weak as conspiracy and shit load of padding.

walking dead will never fucking end, the writer is going to milk this until he retires of old age, do yourself a favor and don't start it.

saga is for fat woman, babies first image comic and full of typical bkv quirks and whedon lite dialogue. if you like sucking dick I guess you can pick it up.
>>
they really havent put out anything good lately.

Island, Humans, upcoming Prophet Earth War and the rest is just TV pitches
>>
>>78472961
Jupiter's Legacy and Jupiter's Circle
Paper Girls
Black Magick
Citizen Jack

I'm going to start on Saga soon, as I've not read it yet, and East Of West sounds interesting per the earlier post.

It's not recent as in the past year or two, but I really enjoyed Epic Kill, as well. Dumb name, and the second half went in a direction I wasn't quite expecting, but I'd still recommend it overall.
>>
I just found "I hate fairyland" and I love it. And it also fits in with Image's blood for the blood god worship.
Think of Candyland and make it an MMO. (Unpopulated) then drop in a Nethack player. All that disaster, death and devastation in a setting fit for Tinkerbell.
A human girl named Gertrude is given a one-day quest to go get a key to take her back to the human world. We join our hero already in progress around her 27th year there, and the comic is drawn by Skottie Young, who you might remember as the artist of (last year's?, I guess,) comic books for the Dorothy in Oz miniseries. It's about as serious as Mad Magazine and about as crazy-violent as the Three Stooges in MLP-land.
>>
>>78473951
>Stray bullets do it op
This
>>
I found red one pretty decent
>>
Deadly Class is one of my favorite books ever. I'd also recc Invincible, for the action alone. I like it, not sure how /co/ feels about it anymore.
>>
>>78472961
So many faggots here thinking their taste superior to other.
>>
File: RedOne_01-1.png (67 KB, 477x734) Image search: [Google]
RedOne_01-1.png
67 KB, 477x734
>>78474203
>>
>no mention of Luther Strode

Kinda disappointed in you /co/mrades
>>
>>78473412
I agree with this one. All mentioned are great

>>78473431
>>78473458
I'd only recommend Lazarus out of these

There's some 2004 era stuff that often gets ignored. Strange Girl and Fear Agent aren't mind blowing but they are very fun reads. Chew is also good if you aren't sick of detective comics.

With that said, Prophet, Age of Bronze and Think Tank are excellent.

Only read Saga if you have never read an image comic in your life
>>
>>78474398
the bitch in it is so fucking hideous she made me drop the third volume after the first issue. I usually don't give a shit about stuff like that but that bald ginger slav bitch is just so displeasing the eyes I couldn't focus on anything but her ugly ass. why the fuck is she so fucking ugly? why the fuck is she even there?
>>
>>78474422
>taking blatant bait
>>
>>78474563
This
>>
>>78474545
Are you okay anon?
>>
Stray Bullets
The Humans
Rumble
Luther Strode
Orc Stain
>>
>>78472961
>East of West
>Southern Bastards
>Lazarus
>They're Not Like Us
>>
File: rocket_girl_007.jpg (3 MB, 3976x3056) Image search: [Google]
rocket_girl_007.jpg
3 MB, 3976x3056
>>78472961

birthright
black magick
black science
chew
chrononauts
citizen jack
copperhead
descender
drifter
head lopper
huck
i hate fairyland
invisible republic
limbo
low
luther strode
manifest destiny
monstress
outcast
paper girls
rasputin
rat queens
rocket girl
rumble
saga
shutter
sons of the devil
southern bastards
starve
switch
the beauty
tokyo ghost
trees
velvet
wytches
>>
If you're a weeb, Wayward is pretty good
>>
>>78475236
oh and Nailbiter
>>
Join the Orc Stain pain train.
>>
East of West
Descender
>>
File: 1448670957279.jpg (1 MB, 1987x3056) Image search: [Google]
1448670957279.jpg
1 MB, 1987x3056
>>78472961
I Hate Fairyland
>>
File: 22.jpg (572 KB, 1193x1834) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
572 KB, 1193x1834
east of west boisss
>>
>>78477058
You know, I understand that the speech is supposed to be bad ass (and given the character giving it's probably 90% posturing and bluffing), but all of the three remaining horsemen can easily kill him just as good as Death could, so it really does not make much sense.
>>
>>78477114
archibald's whole thing is posturing bluffing and being a liar who will do anything to survive. words and leverage are his weapons
>>
>>78477008
Thought this was a mall cop edit at first
>>
File: East of West 007-015.jpg (416 KB, 1920x1097) Image search: [Google]
East of West 007-015.jpg
416 KB, 1920x1097
>>78477058
I can't help but feel its going nowhere
Also the art style is best when they shift to the limited pallet.
>>
File: invincible.jpg (73 KB, 832x1280) Image search: [Google]
invincible.jpg
73 KB, 832x1280
Nobody.
Mentioned.
Invincible.

What the fuck.
>>
>>78477335
well east of west is plotted out for 60 issues and we'll only be on #23 on wednesday. a lot of the early stuff is gonna be build up character development. I remember hickman tweeted recently something like "i believe issue 15 is issue 15 and issue 60 is issue 60" in regards to structuring and plotting
>>
>>78477354
because it went shit after issue 80
>>
>>78477354
It's shit, bro. So is Walking Derp.
>>
>>78477370
I get that but right now it just feels meandering.
Also more people should be reading Birthright.
>>
>>78477370
Yep, I have decided to trade wait, cos it reads terrible in single issues.
>>
>>78477400
idk man the most recent issue kickstarted the books action into high gear

as far as birthright goes, williamson has always been a tv-pitch type writer to me. nailbiter is cool, and ghosted's first half was strong but then it went sour really fucking fast. birthright gives me the same mixed vibes of his other work
>>
>>78477387
I beg to differ, sis.
>>
>>78477354
It was mentioned. And it was great up until the Robot saga imo.
>>
>>78477449
it makes sense with him being under that Kirkman imprint
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.