[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jeph Jacques tries and fails
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_nzpi2lxBkb1tl5t55o1_1280.jpg (159 KB, 800x1120) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzpi2lxBkb1tl5t55o1_1280.jpg
159 KB, 800x1120
>Completely limp bullet effects
>Consistent side on angle
>Wholly unremarkable transformation with zero build up or impact that is obviously supposed to be shocking, but isn't.

I appreciate QC is the much more popular of his works to deride, but Alice Grove holds a special place in my heart because it's clear that he's trying to do what he's always wanted to do but couldn't due to QC. However, whatever he tries, he fails. Let's discuss that.
>>
File: 1447801662944.jpg (244 KB, 960x1689) Image search: [Google]
1447801662944.jpg
244 KB, 960x1689
>>78386653
he's also trying to become a pretty pretty princess like his latest author self insert, but that ain't happening for him either
>>
He should be better than he is, considering how much time he allegedly spends drawing. He must use some really lazy techniques to speed up the process. There's no way he would still be this bad if he drew every panel by hand every day for ten fucking years.
>>
>>78386694

I think it's entirely possible for someone to just stay in the same place for a decade. In fairness to Jeph though, his art has improved since his first strip and it's gone a lot of places; it's just that none of those places are really very good.

They're passable, but Jeph's probably never made the effort to actually study anything like panel composition, other comics, or anatomy to improve. So he's a bit better, just not 10 years worth.

If he'd spent those 10 years actually learning he'd probably be incredible, but he probably also wouldn't have time to do QC.
>>
I really do relish how he has become trapped in a hell of his own design.

It amuses me. Like a twilight episode come to life

>An author who wanted to be popular and beloved by all is hemmed in by his audience's ludicrous standards of acceptable morality.
>>
>>78386653
Man, I forgot he had another strip and got really confused. Thought he just did the usual web comic gear shift thing

>My slice-of-life comics now has SUPERHEROES in it, because I'm bored, and I think it'll earn more internet cred.
>>
>>78386842

Jacques is never allowed to change what he's doing in QC, although he's trying his damndest with the robots he's slipping in everywhere.
>>
>>78386911
Yeah, that's been going on for a while. All the high grade AIs and androids running around, and it's mostly just about wry and cynical 20-somethings talking about sex and/or coffee.

At least he hasn't gone full trans-human like Diaz.
>>
File: another author self insert.png (130 KB, 600x1417) Image search: [Google]
another author self insert.png
130 KB, 600x1417
>>78387004
>>
>>78386694
Darwin a lot is not enough to improve, in fact without someone to tell you "this is where you are fucking up, here how to do it right" there's a chance you'll just reinforce old mistakes, making your self worse or just stagnate.
>>
>>78386653
Real missed opportunity for some transformation sequence hype.
>>
>>78386694
He does have to update stupidly frequently for QC, though, so it makes sense that he skimps. But you can't get better without pushing yourself and he just can't push himself while updating so damn much.
>>
>>78386653
What's most interesting to me is that, without the text from the OP, this entire series of panels makes no sense at all
>>
>>78386694
>He should be better than he is, considering how much time he allegedly spends drawing.
He constantly draws mere hours before he has to upload and dicks around the rest of the day. He doesn't spend any time on improvement
>>
>>78386694
The problem is he rarely tries to improve so all that drawing means jack shit in terms of growth. In order to improve your skill as an artist, you need to do more than just draw. You actually need to go outside your comfort zone while drawing, experiment with new techniques and and attempt to go beyond your current skill level. Handstab obviously went with the easy route and probably takes a whole mess of shortcuts. It's especially aggravating since even B^Uckley has improved their art quite a bit to the point it can be considered 'decent'. Handstab will probably be content wallowing in mediocrity as long as he still gets money for it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.