[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think the Court of Owls is overrated? I thought the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: CourtOfOwls.jpg (595 KB, 1500x2257) Image search: [Google]
CourtOfOwls.jpg
595 KB, 1500x2257
Do you think the Court of Owls is overrated?

I thought the first half was almost as good as Snyder's Black Mirror, but City of Owls had a lot of little things that made it less enjoyable to read as a whole.
>>
>>78368202
Not overrated, it's a cool concept, it just set itself up for failure.

Their only plan (as we saw it) was "do this thing and kill batman" in the first story arc of Batman comics. No way that was going to work. And the only result was them running and hiding while a spinoff title had their own Talons killing them.

A good writer could take them and flesh them out and make them work better, but so far they're more nonentity than overrated.
>>
>>78368417
And as a story arc it did a really fantastic job showing up the dark mystery behind the scenes of Gotham as well as the madness that threatens everyone in it.

Much better than rehashing the old "organized crime vs freaks" origins.
>>
>>78368202
I didn't like the way Batman was written in it. He was simply too infallible. He's wounded and Alfred gives him enough sedative to kill a rhino but five minutes later he's up because he's JUST SO DRIVEN. All Robins appear in the first issue and then disappear - because this was the Batman solo title and there were Batman & Robin, Nightwing, etc comics and I guess they cannot appear un more than one story.
Dick did show up for a bit, but only to be Batman's foil and set up a ridiculous shock value scene in which Batman seems unhinged and punches Nightwing, but turns out he was actually completely in control and he needed to knock down a false teeth with Talen serum or whatever that Dick never knew he had - he never ever went to the dentist, I guess.
Batman is caught but escapes on his own; Batman is surrounded in his mansion but deals with it on his own (with an Iron-Man armor) when you could've had his supporting characters.
They, of course were not there because the story became an event and you needed to buy other comics to follow it. Bullshit.

The story in itself was fine if a bit simple, but the way it was executed and the way the characters are portrayed in it is what I don't like.
>>
Very overrated. Snyderfags constantly say it's the best thing about his run, but it's equally as shit as everything else he's done with Bruce. He'll never do anything better than Black Mirror.
>>
>>78371252
>Very overrated. Snyderfags constantly say it's the best thing about his run, but it's equally as shit as everything else he's done with Bruce. He'll never do anything better than Black Mirror.

this

Coming after the Black Glove and Leviathan it paled in comparison. Snyder is overrated in general.
>>
>>78371252
>Very overrated. Snyderfags constantly say it's the best thing about his run, but it's equally as shit as everything else he's done with Bruce
Except he has not done a single thing shit with Bruce dumb fucking shit stain.
>>
>>78368202
>A Dick arc
>That had Bruce in it solely because he was Batman again
The story didn't need Bruce Wayne whatsoever.
>>
File: scottsnyder.png (16 KB, 715x246) Image search: [Google]
scottsnyder.png
16 KB, 715x246
>>78372150
>>
I thought it was great up to the point where Talon was reviled to be Bruce's unborn baby brother. I did find it silly though that Batman refused to believe in the Court until they nearly killed him.
>>
>>78372292
This sounds so retarded.

God fucking damnit Snyder.
>>
>>78372292
Fuck Snyder
>>
>>78372292
He is such a fucking idiot.
>>
It was enjoyable, but the premise had problems.

The whole "here's this villain that's totally been here THE WHOLE TIME" thing rarely works.
>>
>>78368202
>as good as Snyder's
opinion discarded
>>
>>78373901
>>78374950
>>78374985
So do you want Dick all OOC going MUH CITY or something?
>>
>>78375020
Saying it was a Dick story doesn't mean to literally swap characters and keep the dialogue, cranium.
>>
>>78375020
>assuming Snyder would've written him exactly like he writes Bruce
>>
File: batman08.jpg (171 KB, 584x521) Image search: [Google]
batman08.jpg
171 KB, 584x521
>>78370886
>I didn't like the way Batman was written in it. He was simply too infallible.

I actually thought this story did a good job of not making him "unfazed aloof badass Batgod" and actually showed him having real fear and insecurity, especially about the idea that he doesn't know everything about his environment and Gotham isn't really "his." Like, the issue with him freaking out in the maze was cool.

The premise was a little dumb (this secret society has been calling the shots in Gotham for over a century, but they only started having a problem with Batman in his, like, tenth year of being Batman, and never had a problem with the mobsters or psychotic criminals who have been stepping on their territory for a long time now), but I forgave that, because it's just something I needed to accept for the story to work.

Where I stopped being so forgiving was near the end, where things just started getting stretched way too much to suspend disbelief. Like, Batman may or may not have a brother that may had been hidden away in an orphanage because reasons. There wasn't any foreshadowing that made you go "aha!" when it's revealed, it's just pulled out of Snyder's ass, and the motivations for it happening make no sense.

If Snyder was going to go back into the Batman vaults and use threads from some obscure story, why the fuck would he pick one of the stupidest ones, where a doctor somehow diagnoses a baby with criminal insanity, and the Waynes feel like their son shouldn't know he has a retarded brother because parents hide siblings all the time? May as well bring back Clark Kent's hypno-glasses.
>>
It started out good, but the second half wasn't as good and the ending ruined the whole thing.

>>78376186
They were after Bruce because he was building some underground shit, not Batman.
>>
>>78368202
Batman has been unreadable since Morrison left.
>>
I understand criticism but what's the point, it came out 4 almost 5 years ago. Sounds like you guys are nitpicking little things you as an individual didn't like about it. But it's not a bad comic and the art work is amazing. I understand not liking somebody's work but to say it's shit because it's not your favorite writer anymore on the series is a btt immature
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.