[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On one hand I understand what DC is trying to do here, and to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: HURRPER ROW.jpg (109 KB, 413x470) Image search: [Google]
HURRPER ROW.jpg
109 KB, 413x470
On one hand I understand what DC is trying to do here, and to a degree, I approve. DC failing to give new characters the support they need was one of their classic faults, and I'm glad to see them taking steps to fix it.

On the other hand: FUCK Harper Row. She's so god damned annoying, she actively makes any comic she's in worse with her presence. And they just keep shoving her down my fucking throat without even buying me a drink first.
>>
just shut the fuck up
>>
>keep shoving her down my throat
>two issue guest-star in Batman over the course of five years
>subplot arc in Batman and Robin
>guest spot in one issues of Detective Comics
>subplot arc in B&R:E

I know you guys are desperate to hate her because you hate her haircut, but I will never understand this narrative that you all keep constructing.

Harper at the end of the day is just late 90s Tim mixed with late 90s Steph, both of whom are characters who don't exist at DC anymore. Tim is a completely different and shittier person and DC has completely filed off the rough edges of Steph and her white trash background. I'd still rather read about her than Tim, Jason, Julia Pennyworth, and multiple other characters who populate modern Bat-Books. Hell I'd rather read a book with her than Steph, modern Steph just feels so squeaky clean with very little hook to her anymore.
>>
>>78254669
>subplot arc in Batman and Robin

Subplot in Batman Eternal I mean. Not that it matters considering Harper's subplot was smaller then multiple other character's.

I like Harper, but that's also because I really miss Dixon-era Steph and she's the closest thing that's filling that void.

I will say I think making her a vigilante was a mistake and she was more interesting as a Harold like figure to Batman, but I get that everyone needs a costume these days to sell more action figures.
>>
Don't worry, if she's like the rest of the Batfamily she'll become irrelevant as soon as fans start to like her.
>>
>>78254669
Nah, Julia's better.

But yeah, Harper is a better developed character than Tim and Jason, though, despite not having her own book.
>>
File: 1350950259031.gif (3 MB, 280x190) Image search: [Google]
1350950259031.gif
3 MB, 280x190
Harper's really annoying with her "MY CHILDHOOD WAS TERRIBLE YOU HAVE NO IDEA"

>>78254792
So we're stuck with her
>>
>>78254669
>>subplot arc in B&R:E

Subplot? She's one of the main characters there. Only character with more screentime than her in BR&E is Dick.

That's probably the biggest source of my hate actually, because they handcuffed Harper to Cass, while Cass's own supporting character Steph is still sitting around in the Batcave doing nothing.
>>
>>78254924
>because they handcuffed Harper to Cass, while Cass's own supporting character Steph is still sitting around in the Batcave doing nothing.

Almost assuredly they're planning to bring them all together and develop their friendship in the inevitably Birds of Prey book.
>>
>>78254946
> Almost assuredly they're planning to bring them all together and have their threesome in the inevitably Birds of Prey book.
>>
>>78254924
Steph got shafted hard in B&RE. Her and Harper should have switched places
>>
>>78254977

Only way I could enjoy a book with Harper in it was if she was changed into a completely different character.

And you know, it's fine for some characters to be for other people. I don't mind that in general. I just wish characters I like weren't forcibly married to characters I loathe.
>>
It's like they took all of the good parts of Tim and Stephanie and distilled them into a third character.

Then gave that character a grating, annoying personality. That way, nobody wins!
>>
>>78254924
Man, I love Cass and Steph and their friendship, but I'm so tired of hearing people complain about Harper because Cass is interacting and developing a bond with a character that isn't Steph. I don't remember hearing half as much whining when Steph was becoming Harper's friend in Batman Eternal, or the years of Steph's book where every character but Cass showed up. Cass can have more than one friend! Just like Steph can have more friends than just Cass.
>>
If writers stopped jerking off the "woe is me i had a rough childhood, what do you mean all these other sidekicks had tough shit to go through as well" Id be happier with her
>>
File: 1325848790982.jpg (36 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1325848790982.jpg
36 KB, 180x200
>>78255915

I don't want Harper being Cassandra's friend because I hate Harper.
>>
>>78252858
I fuckin hate those types of piercings. septum and that like beauty mark piercing are fucking terrible and don't look good on anyone. why do people think they look good?
>>
>>78255915
>Cass can have more than one friend!
no
>Just like Steph can have more friends than just Cass.
also no
>>
>>78255972
I personally dislike nostril piercings, as well as that beauty mark thing you mentioned (whatever it's called) because they visually remind me of warts and they're in places where those tend to grow. I'm fine with septums, though.
>>
>>78254977
fuck it id take it with harper attached if it meant I get cass/steph.
>>
>>78255915
Cass is no slut
>>
>>78255915

Harper is just filling the Tim quota for a threesome with Steph/Cass
>>
>>78252858
What is the point of this thread? Is it to show once again how obnoxious ...what to even call you people? hatecharacterfags(?) that needlessly fill your day by shitposting about a character you don't like? honestly, Harper is simply...not that bad, you look at Tim, at Babs, at Jason, at Cass, at Steph and you tell me she's worse and I'll laugh in your face.
>>
>>78254924
I wouldn't say Steph getting the shaft is directly related to Harper - the fact is they have no clue what they want to do with Steph.

She was brought back by fan demands into Batman Eternal, but I couldn't tell you what the fuck she did there that had any major importance to the plot. Hell Harper was the only major character she interacted with that whole comic, along with Selina.

Since it ended she hasn't been in many comics at all. She had a brief stint in Catwoman which ended with Valentine's departure, and appeared once in Batgirl Annual 3 where she was an annoying spaz. She recently appeared in Batgirl again but she wasn't any better than her appearance in the annual.

Steph's likability came from her being an amateur vigilante that accompanied Tim around, followed by her friendship with Cass. After being brought back to life from her War Games death, she was pretty much aimless in the wind until they made her into Batgirl.

I think the reason Cass has so far been better in B&R Eternal is because she has a stronger tie to the main story, along with the implication that she is already connected to Batman before anyone else even knew about it. Harper isn't really replacing Steph as Cass' best friend; it's more that Snyder and Tynion have a better understanding of what they want to do with Harper than with Steph right now.

DC even agrees because Cass' original series is starting a trade reprint in January. For the first time in years, Steph is getting shafted by the editorial and Cass is getting the attention. A shame that editorial can't get themselves together and push these two at the same time like they ought to.
>>
>>78257147
Steph's problem is that they took Babs and turned her into a very similar character, so Steph seems somewhat superfluous when you already have the "lighthearted young college Batgirl" in Babs.
>>
>>78256972

Harper is way worse than any of the characters you listed, with the possible exception of Jason.

They should make her a Jason Todd sidekick, move her over to Outsiders where they can suck together, away from real characters.
>>
File: fashionable cow.jpg (89 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
fashionable cow.jpg
89 KB, 400x600
>>78256336
>>78255972

Any kind of nose ring marks you as livestock in my book. Nose rings exist so that farmers can move you around easily. You want to be a human, you don't put a fucking ring on your nose.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.