[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Smoke and Shadow 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11
File: SmokeandShadow2.jpg (157 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
SmokeandShadow2.jpg
157 KB, 600x900
TWO MORE DAYS

http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/smoke-and-shadow-part-2-non-spoiler-thoughts/

>Smoke and Shadow Part 2 is definitely a part 2, but I think there are a few notable parts here that will make Part 2 stand out. I think what will probably get the fandom talking the most will be the section in the middle of the book where we get some very early history of the Fire Nation that is potentially the earliest in the timeline we have ever explored. We learn about the origins of the Fire Nation, a bit more about how Sozin thought of this early history of his nation and most important to the plot where the legend of the Kemurikage came from. Of course I will not spoil the exact details of what is told here, but I will say that as a huge fan of the lore of the Avatar universe, I was very pleased with this section of the book, it adds so much and as far as I could tell it fits in very well with the early history we know about.

Sounds like Yang is going to avoid any direct mention of the Avatar Wan story without contradicting it. Good on him if that's the case
>>
File: cuck in training.png (316 KB, 450x456) Image search: [Google]
cuck in training.png
316 KB, 450x456
>>78184995
>What saves the romance from being the annoying overly dramatic shipping stuff that Avatar fans hate is that Zuko and Kei Lo have a level of respect for each other and are not fighting over Mai, there are certainly moments highlighting both Mai and Zuko and Mai and Kei Lo’s relationship, but there is no issue between the two guys. Aang ends up acting as a bit of an awkward bystander, aware himself of the odd romantic situation, but not wanting to get involved. With regards to the romance I still fully believe that Mai and Zuko will be together by the end of this series, the problem is that Kei Lo for the most part is presented as a very nice guy, so Mai breaking up with him seems harsh and like it would add unneeded drama.
>>
File: Kiyi.png (377 KB, 453x431) Image search: [Google]
Kiyi.png
377 KB, 453x431
>>78184995

>If there was one part of this book I was a little disappointed with it would be that Ursa is not focused on that much in this book. I felt like there was so much set up around her in Part 1, so it was odd to only see her in a few pages here, no real attention on how scared she is being back in the Palace nor any reaction to where we last saw her in Part 1 terrified after seeing a portrait of Ozai. Her relationship with Kiyi continues to be strained, but that is about it, given how this book ends I am a little worried that Part 3 will not have enough time to resolve everything focused on Ursa. I hope she gets some good focus in Part 3, but there is so much else to cover with the romance stuff, the Kemurikage plot, Mai and her father, Ukano and a few more plot threads.
>Her relationship with Kiyi continues to be strained

as it should be
>>
But where is Suki in all this!?!
>>
File: kemurikage ukano.png (387 KB, 817x339) Image search: [Google]
kemurikage ukano.png
387 KB, 817x339
>>78184995

>Ukano on the other hand does get a good amount of focus here and for me really steps things up as an antagonistic character, he continues to heavily manipulate those around him. I am fascinated to see where they go with him in Part 3. He cares for his family, but seems to prioritise wanting Zuko off the throne ahead of them, will they go full on villain with him or will they redeem him by having him truly protect his family, given how much of a focus Mai is, where they go with her father is an important plot.

Death flag

>>78186722

In the fucking trash where she belongs
>>
>>78186884
just savage m8
>>
>>78187422

Thanks, anon. I do my best
>>
>>78186884
Shit taste confirmed.
>>
>>78187533

I'm not the one who likes painted up whores here
>>
>>78186711
Did that girl got the looks of Ursa and the father original bodies? or of the new ones?
>>
>>78186482
>>78186711
>>78186884
Man, they are shitting on everything Avatar related that its still good. This isn't Avatar.
>>
>>78187810

pretty sure the new ones.

>>78187848

Yang's comics are the closest thing to a remedy for the colossal damage Korra did to the series.
>>
>>78187935
How and why, the spirit only chaged their face no genes.
>>
>>78188264

I don't know maybe it's magic or some shit
>>
File: 1444631345219.jpg (59 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444631345219.jpg
59 KB, 1920x1080
>I think most people won’t be at all surprised with the cliffhanger ending to the book, not to criticise it for being predictable, it was relatively obvious, but something we have been waiting for. We get the return of a minor ATLA character, no one huge that will make the fandom freak out, but this character is well used, I definitely perked up a bit when I saw this character on the page, a very nice use of a show character that makes complete sense.

Azula's a "minor character" now?
>>
File: reaction.jpg (218 KB, 756x972) Image search: [Google]
reaction.jpg
218 KB, 756x972
>>78189720

>minor character
>>
>>78195135

yes, scrapper, Azula was never the main character of this story
>>
>>78195384

She is pivotal to the events that happen in the story.
>>
>>78195407

you mean she's a plot device
>>
>>78196147

No she is a character foil for Zuko.
>>
>>78196176

so she's evil, gotcha
>>
>>78196520

Did I ever say she was evil?
>>
>>78184995
Haven't read any of these comics, but did Azula get a redemption yet or waht's going on there?
>>
>>78196612

She's currently being redeemed
>>
>>78184995
>early history of the Fire Nation
Sounds neat.

>>78196612
Nope, she's possibly involved in this storyline somehow though.
>>
This sounds like garbage. We're all thinking it.
>>
>>78189720
she IS fourteen
>>
>>78198357

So far Yang is proving he can handle spirits, a supporting female character whose father is a leading member of a terrorist organization, a love triangle involving a fire bender and an exploration of the distant past with a greater finesse and maturity than bryke handled all those things
>>
>>78199459
He also knows how to actually write a conclusion, which is a rarity in this franchise.
>>
>>78198512
>>78198512
>she IS fourteen

Shouldn't she be 15 by now?
>>
>>78199521

I wonder if Gene secretly acknowledges the flaws in brykes writing but doesn't say it
>>
File: Seriously.jpg (148 KB, 829x361) Image search: [Google]
Seriously.jpg
148 KB, 829x361
>>78186711
>If there was one part of this book I was a little disappointed with it would be that Ursa is not focused on that much in this book.
>>
File: Ursa04.jpg (663 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
Ursa04.jpg
663 KB, 1280x1920
>>78199656
Maybe, but he can't say shit after that whole "Ursa willingly gave away her face and memories of her children" shit without seeming to expect the audience to despise her.
>>
>>78189720
>Azula's a "minor character" now?

Yes, she hasn't been a major character since S2. In S3 she was a minor character that the non-Aangs went to beat up.
>>
>>78200701
Bear in mind that The Search probably had the most actual involvement of Mike and Bryan, Yang's interviews seem to imply that some of the twists were actually their ideas

The fact that Kiyi hates Ursa right now almost feels like Yang is more aware than we may give him credit for
>>
>>78200899
This is true. Bryke insisted that Ursa's story include amnesia. How that manifested was up to Yang, so the Mother of Faces thing was his idea, but it would have been really easy for him to sweep Kiyi's reaction under the table and I've got to respect him for not doing so.
I actually like the Search though even if it's been divisive.
>>
>Yang is a know Zutarian

He'll have my respect if Zuko and Mai end up back together.
>>
File: MaiKoh.jpg (49 KB, 375x464) Image search: [Google]
MaiKoh.jpg
49 KB, 375x464
>>78202252
Didn't Mai break up with Zuko when he strarted getting stressed over constant assassination attempts and a potential war with the Earth Kingdom? It has been years since I read The Promise.
>>
>>78202252

I'd prefer they don't, at least not now. Mai's character has actually become stronger since she formally broke up with Zuko, as opposed to characters like Katara who are basically just "girlfriend" characters with no real role to play

Of course, shippers can't be expected to recognize and appreciate the fact that breaking up Mai and Zuko was probably one of Yang's best decisions from a writing standpoint

>>78203834

Mai had already taken care of the assassin problem, without Zuko's having to ask. Her problem was that he was continually shutting her out and would sooner seek the advice of Ozai than even bother to tell her what was wrong. The guy even left to go the colonies for a couple weeks after an assassination attempt on his life without even remembering that Mai even existed and might actually be worried for him
>>
>>78196642
she wont be
>>
>>78206922

When Azula is crying and apologizing to Zuko and Ursa I'll think about you and laugh.
>>
>>78207363
I'll laugh when it doesnt happen
>>
>>78187848
>>78186482
>>78184995
Well the comics ruined it all even more. Seriously fuck all of this. I'm going to re-watch the original four books and call it quits.
>>
>>78207453
>comics ruined it all

>doesn't even know how many seasons ATLA had
A TRUE FAN
>>
File: Toph05.jpg (25 KB, 345x194) Image search: [Google]
Toph05.jpg
25 KB, 345x194
>>78207453
>re-watch the original four books
>>
>>78206922
>>78207394

All signs point to it happening.
>>
>>78212383
And I cant wait for it not to
just to see your faggot ass cry
>>
>>78213928

I would probably lose my mind over it but I wouldn't cry. Besides, it's going to happen they have been hinting at it for too long.
>>
>>78214041
it probably wont
>>
>>78214160

Maybe not in the next issue but certainly in the last. Azula isn't a monster she just needs to find her way.
>>
>>78214160

Dude, it's not nice to lie like that; you *know* she's gonna get tenderly redeemed.

I ave tissues and lotion ready.
>>
>>78214706
doubt it
>>
>>78214715

Nope, a fresh bottle AND box.
>>
>Azula kidnaps the children and takes them to her new gingerbread house where she stuffs full before baking them in her oven

Can't say I didn't see it coming
>>
>>78216956

haha very funny but we all know there is no such thing as gingerbread in the avatar universe.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.