[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 17
File: header.jpg (135 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
135 KB, 460x215
So I just finished season 3 after binge watching this for 3 days and I gotta ask, why all the hate? It has it's downs but the show so far has been pretty great. Amon and Zaheer are 1 & 2 as the best villains in the avatar universe and minus the forced love triangle in s1-s2, the storyline is entertaining but the season finales were all anti climatic and felt rushed.

I did feel the Wan backstory tried to retcon the way bending first came around and also the harmonic convergence and air bending.

Also didn't this show suffer budget problems and being relegated to online only? What was with all the semi famous celebrities ( Serena Williams, Jon Heder, Aubrey Plaza, Henry Rollins)?
>>
>>78096944
S3 was great but S4 kind of sucked and had some controversial relationship shit that was thrown in.
>>
>>78097168
I don't actually mean that it sucked, it was just underwhelming after the high of season 3.
>>
>>78096944
> Also didn't this show suffer budget problems and being relegated to online only?

Every season was fucked with somehow by Nickelodeon.

Season 1 was created under the impression that it would be a single season show.

Season 2 had time constriants while being written and half the episodes were animated by Pierrot intead of Studio Mir because of budget cuts.

Season 4 had the budget of an entire episode cut halfway through, resulting in the clipshow episodes.

Besides messing around with airtimes and were the show was being broadcasted, S3 didn't really have any fiddling done with it which is probably one reason it turned out so well.
>>
>>78097371
>Season 4 had the budget of an entire episode cut halfway through, resulting in the clipshow episodes
Not sure about the other things you said but Bryke said that they knew they had to make a clipshow when they began writing book 4 so the budget wasn't cut halfway through that season. It was cut some time before they began making that season.
>>
>>78097371
>Season 1 was created under the impression that it would be a single season show.
I keep seeing this said as though to excuse the flaws in its construction but the argument makes no sense. If they thought that it was going to be a one season show then why'd they think it was okay to waste so much time on probending?
>>
>>78098009
>I keep seeing this said as though to excuse the flaws

I agree. I'm quite surprised that Bryke didn't leave Book 1 open enough for them to continue it if they chose to - which they did anyways. A very stupid decision on their part.
>>
File: 1448864436046.jpg (115 KB, 929x523) Image search: [Google]
1448864436046.jpg
115 KB, 929x523
LoK would be fine if the central characters weren't all either completely flat or had terrible personalities.
>>
Don't worry, season 4 is fine. It's just strikes /co/'s autism nerve extra hard.
>>
>>78098009
you're wasting time leveling that question at me, as I'm not trying to excuse flaws

on the topic of the show's flaws, I think it's safe to say that when a sequel is made of anything widely beloved, what was improved upon will ALWAYS be scrutinized far less than what was worse

with that being said, I peronally think that both LoK and TLA are very close in quality
>>
>>78098248
Sympathized more with the villains than the main cast.
Also Korra being wrong in pretty much every moral battle but somehow getting away with it simply because she was the protagonist irked me. She became of poster child of fascism because it's not about being right, just being strong enough to stop when tell you that you're wrong.
>>
>>78098348
*stop the people who tell you you're wrong.
>>
>>78098284
>you're wasting time leveling that question at me, as I'm not trying to excuse flaws
You kind of are by framing the idea of being forced to work within the constraints of a single season as a form of executive meddling that couldn't be worked around or a challenge that they could plan accordingly for.
>>
>>78096944
Perhaps not ignoring the major flaws in the plot will help you, OP.
>>
>>78097371
Starting as "only one season" is normal. Its up to the writer to make it so the series can be extended later on. If Bryke are too retarded to plan on that, its not Nick's fault.
>>
why is korra's bust so HUGE
>>
>>78098009
It was originally a 6 episode mini-series that got expanded to 13 at some point early in production. A lot of the probending shit was probably filler because they had trouble coming up with ways to expand their miniseries over 7 more episodes.
>>
>>78098397
I only said that it happened and made no implication whatsoever on how it effected the quality of the show or what could have been done to work around it
>>
the fuck is up with all these Korra threads recently
>>
>>78098635
You misundertand, as a continuation of an existing property it wasn't a "make one season and see how it goes" deal it was more of a "you guys get one more season and that's it deal" Then they added the order for the second season during production and for the 3rd and 4th seasons around the time the first came out. Doesn't excuse the fact that they really dropped the ball on season one's conclusion in most places though.
>>
>>78100202
The "one season and thats it" is how most shows work. Later on they get more, and they should expect to get more. No one tells them "one season, and maybe if you guys are okay we give you another one... Who knows? Maybe Two?". This simply doesnt happen.
>>
>>78099500
Korra is good
>>
>>78099500
>clickety clack
>she's coming back

Also, I completely forgot how cool she looked at the end of the series, much more heroic
>>
forgot pic
>>
File: OE5dR.jpg (116 KB, 1023x718) Image search: [Google]
OE5dR.jpg
116 KB, 1023x718
Hey /co/ how would you feel if Korra kept her concept art looks?
>>
File: 1449424156728.jpg (218 KB, 640x951) Image search: [Google]
1449424156728.jpg
218 KB, 640x951
>you have the opportunity to touch any part of korra's body for a few seconds
>where do you touch?
>>
>>78100768
People like you ruin this board
>>
>>78100723
She looks more like a model than a tomboy.
>>
One of the biggest problems with Korra in general was they really did away with a lot of the philosophy behind the martial arts and bending in the series. You have light footed earth benders in pro bending, making it more of a boxing thing. Which goes entirely against the grounds that AtLA said about the martial art itself.
>>
>>78100768
boobs obviously
>>
>>78100829
I liked it, it gave the feeling that time has past and ideas have changed. It also was a good feet with more urban settings that show had, Republic City specifically

Only real and objective problems that show had is sloppy writing, undeveloped main cast and rushed plot.
>>
>>78100977
But that doesnt change the fact that the magic rock moving stuff wouldnt change because the times have. Earthbending works based upon a the rigid and grounded movements.
>>
File: 1449333377433.jpg (347 KB, 540x878) Image search: [Google]
1449333377433.jpg
347 KB, 540x878
>>78100912
good choice but
>not her abs
>>
File: 1448806792862.jpg (299 KB, 1280x983) Image search: [Google]
1448806792862.jpg
299 KB, 1280x983
We need spin-off series about them.
>>
>>78101432
a close second and my first thought
but those boobs are too big to ignore
>>
File: paper beats rock, baka.png (140 KB, 300x410) Image search: [Google]
paper beats rock, baka.png
140 KB, 300x410
Season 3 is a god send and redeems the entirety of Korra. Season 4 is mediocre and doesn't do too much to walk back the grand nature of season 3, so it gets a pass. Season 2 is an abortion on every level. Season 1 suffered from the fact that they thought they were making a one off series that was one season long. It had to wrap up like it did in 12 episodes. Yes, season 1 was weak in many aspects but that's a Viacom problem.
>>
>>78098248

As shitty as it sounds, the series was too plot heavy.

Every now and then, the original series would have episodes where the Fire Nation wasn't even encountered just to display more personality traits of the characters and give them shit to do outside of their mission. Korra was all business, all the time, which means that even though we get, say, Asami joining the group, she never displays any character traits irrelevant to the main plot or romance subplots, so she spends all of book 1 as a satellite character to create conflict in Mako and Korra's relationship.
>>
File: tumblr_nbb1t1g1KB1qf1s11o1_500.jpg (135 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nbb1t1g1KB1qf1s11o1_500.jpg
135 KB, 500x652
>>78101481
word
>>
File: 1409535844535.png (610 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
1409535844535.png
610 KB, 800x700
>>78101654
>>
File: 497.png (2 MB, 2560x640) Image search: [Google]
497.png
2 MB, 2560x640
>>78101654
>>78101683
>we will never see how Ghazan learns to lavabend
>we will never see P'li's terrible life
>we will never see the bromance between Zaheer and Ghazan
>>
>>78101732
you forgot
>we will never see how Ming-Hua lost her arms
>and fuck bryke for pussying out and saying that she was born this way
also It's so weird how completely unfazed they were after spending freaking 13 years super prison and isolation, Gahzan and Ming just joking and smiling.
Probably writers just didn't really think about them much
>>
>>78100648
"It's heroic to cause the seasons in your own show"
>>
>>78101911
Loyalist to the cause, being put away is just a temporary setback and just playing the waiting game till they get the chance to break out.
>>
File: 5ab.gif (1 MB, 365x205) Image search: [Google]
5ab.gif
1 MB, 365x205
>>78101911
>also It's so weird how completely unfazed they were after spending freaking 13 years super prison and isolation, Gahzan and Ming just joking and smiling.
Probably writers just didn't really think about them much
Ghazan was too happy for his freedom.He couldn't be sad. He took his own life for the freedom.
>>
>>78102008
>Ghazan survived
>Got Ming out and they escaped together
>Immediately want to break Zaheer out
>Have second thoughts since they tried 2 times now and 13 years in prison wasn't really that fun or worth it in the end
>Decide to say fuck it
>Move to southern islands and live happily ever after, every day fucking like rabbits

All jokes aside I really wish we got more human moments with them. We only got glimpses of that and by the end they had absolutely no time - Ming and Ghazan barely even reacted to P'Li's death.
>>
>>78102181
>Ghazan survived
>Got Zaheer out and they escaped together
>Immediately want to kidnap Korra
>Have second thoughts since they tried 2 times now and 13 years in prison wasn't really that fun or worth it in the end
>Decide to say fuck it
>Move to southern islands and live happily ever after.
Don't get me wrong i like MingxGhazan, but she is dead
>>
>>78101161
As far as I can tell, the boxing style really only works with small rocks like the thing they used in probending.. Bolin rarely did anything large without a solid stance.
>>
>>78101911
I kind of assumed they could all meditate into the spirit world since that's apparently how Red Lotus members met up like with Zaheer and that one guy.
>>
>>78096944
>Amon and Zaheer are 1 & 2 as the best villains in the avatar universe
Nope.

NOOOOOOOOOOPE

Nope.

Koh. That is all.
>>
>>78097168
>>78097232
Season 3 was awful, it just had less flaws than the other seasons, but it was still not nearly as good as TLA.
>>
File: 0.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>78105815
Fire>Change>Earth>Balance>Air>Spirits>Water
>>
>>78103873
you mean the guy that showed up for about 2 minutes in the entire series?

he can barley be classified as a villain
>>
I found it weird that every time Korra had to bend, her first choice wasn't water. Even when she was at the South Pole or surrounded by water. I know she's the avatar but she's a Waterbender first
>>
>>78106739
When the series starts, she's already been using earth and fire for a while. Aang used mostly air because it's all he knew at first and the rest he had to learn fast and didn't have as much time with as Korra had.
Also - her personality. She probably just likes them more since they heet the hardest
>>
A few thousand years before Aang, YOU are the avatar. BUT you don't know it yet. In fact, you haven't been able to bend any element at all yet. You were born to a sand tribe father and a mother from a nation that depends on the origin you choose at the beginning of the game. ie you can start in any of the nations and your mother is from that nation.

As for the reason you haven't been able to bend yet, your character's father killed the last avatar in a ritualistic manner (taught to him by an evil spirit) that would allow the next avatar to be born of his line, which he hoped would be able to unite the sand tribes. However the ritual also released the bending powers imbued in the avatar from Raava and spread them across the world in highly spiritual locations. The first act of the game would involve receiving a vision from Raava and going to these locations to regain the bending powers and become a fully realised avatar.

The second act of the game would deal with completing your actual duties as avatar and keeping the world in balance. Key antagonists in the game would include your father, the spirit who gave taught him the ritual, an earthbending mob boss who can bend gold (but only gold, no other metals) and a sect of militaristic airbenders.

> I made this, just how retarded is it?
>>
>>78106739
I mean not really, even as a toddler she bent the other elements
>>
>>78096944
>why all the hate
Korra is a terrible Avatar, person, and character, the show killed the franchise, bastardized the lore, the pacing and writing were mediocre at best, and the finale was a trainwreck. Also, for how much Book 3 is praised, nothing happens for the majority of it.
>>
>>78105967
>Spirits>Water
oh, you're retarded.
>>
>>78109621
It's rather telling that the Book Korrafags like the most is the Book with the least Korra
>>
>>78105967
This is objective fact:
Earth>Fire>Change>Balance>Water>Air>Spirits
>>
File: hgrMYEv.gif (168 KB, 683x384) Image search: [Google]
hgrMYEv.gif
168 KB, 683x384
>>78098248

>Bolin, Flat?
>>
>>78110812
>Balance>Water
that's not a fact at all. Just shit opinion.
>>
File: 1415281988451.png (294 KB, 1083x833) Image search: [Google]
1415281988451.png
294 KB, 1083x833
>>78111472
Bolin was absolutely cringe-worthy for long stretches of the show. He's also extremely uninteresting. In fact, Mako turned out to be a better comedic character by far.
>>
>>78111550
On second though, you are correct. Other than it all stands
>>
File: The Fire rises.jpg (36 KB, 720x418) Image search: [Google]
The Fire rises.jpg
36 KB, 720x418
>>78096944
Short version

1) Didn't live up to all the hype
2) Shot itself in the right foot by not having a single, multi-season arc from the start
3) Shot itself in the left foot by cutting the number of episodes per season in half, resulting in poor pacing and development

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent season. I rewatched it for the first time this Fall and even a lot of the stuff I hated the first time through wasn't nearly as bad as I'd remembered (Season 2 is still mostly garbage though), but I think what ultimately doomed the show to failure was the fact that it was the followup act for ATLA, and those were impossibly big shoes for any show to fill.
>>
>>78101608
A symptom of the larger problem - 12/14 episodes per season instead of 20+ leaves no time for "filler" episodes that can be used to develop characters or smaller plot threads.
>>
>>78101732
i will always pick the left side.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWiBViKNSrQ

>mind blown
>>
>>78111850

That's also true.

Like, imagine shaving Book 1 down to 14 episodes. So let's say we get rid of

>Imprisoned
>The Great Divide
>The Storm
>The Fortune Teller
>Bato of the Water Tribe
>The Deserter

You get rid of so many character moments by trying to condense the content. Also, just making this list makes me realize that they spent time developing Zuko and Iroh as well, so even more characters were fleshed out than just the heroes.

Man, Korra's a mess.
>>
>>78107563
>>78107948
But still, she's a Waterbender. Every other avatars go to bending in any
flashback was the element they were associated with.

>>78111472
They tried hard to make him Sokka but he was just too goofy. Sokka at least had a balance to his goofy and serious side
>>
The best feature of this show was how they weren't afraid to kill off characters and let it be known they died even if those deaths minus P'Li were retarded as shit
>>
>>78101593
That doesn't excuse the poor handling of season 1, if anything we should have had an amazing 12 episode mini-series, but we didn't get that.
>>
>>78101432
>>78100768
>>78101542
>not her postworkout anus
>>
>>78110812
>Earth>Fire>Change>Water>Air>Balance>Spirits
FTFY, you seemed to have misplaced balance.
>>
>>78112419
While i can see what you mean, they did spent a lot of time in book1 on on filler like content such as Probending and Romance. Imagine if instead of that shit they developed the characters outside of the mainplot. It would serve quite well as filler imo.
>>
>>78096944
How did Aang die?
>>
>>78113886
Pretty sure they implied he died of old age as his time in the ice caught up to him.
>>
>>78096944
Is it really so hard to just check the archives? It's not like opinions have changed that much, and the show sure as hell hasn't gotten any better.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.