[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do we actually read comics? Can we talk about comics? Can we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: Island_05-1.png (276 KB, 624x961) Image search: [Google]
Island_05-1.png
276 KB, 624x961
Do we actually read comics? Can we talk about comics? Can we have a pull list thread? What are you people picking up Wendseday?

>Lucifer #1
>Red Thorn #2

>Goddamned #2
>Island #5
>The Wicked and the Divine #17

>Darth Vader Annual #1
>Illuminati #2
>The Mighty Thor #2
>Ms Marvel #2

ANAD Speculation
>Squadron Supreme #1
>Weirdworld #1
>Starbrand and Nightmask #1

ANAD seems marginally better than DCYou, but they're both shit.
>>
people talk about new comics on wendsday
>>
I actually went into my first FLCS the other day. There were three people there including the owner and they were arguing about Secret Wars, which I don't read. I wanted to ask about a pull list because I'd decided to buy comics in-store for the first time but I couldn't see any single issues or trades of what I wanted so I figured I would maybe come back when the owner wasn't engaged, because I doubted they would pull in what I wanted if they weren't stocking it at all. I also felt pretty guilty about all the comics sitting there that I had read without paying for in the last few years.

My big fundamental problem with comics is I think the vast majority of what I read/have read, even when it gets really good reviews, is pretty mediocre or bad. It makes it hard for me to engage with anything outside of short runs or miniseries.
>>
File: a_dame_to_kill_for.jpg (53 KB, 397x367) Image search: [Google]
a_dame_to_kill_for.jpg
53 KB, 397x367
>>78104718
This. also most people dont feel the need to shill their pull list
>>
Next week I'm getting

Clean Room #3
Red Thorn #2
Justice League #46
JLU #16 (rip ;_;)
Martian Manhunter #7
Autumnlands #8

I hope Red Thorn is better than the first issue, I want to like it more than I did
>>
>>78104754
>because I doubted they would pull in what I wanted if they weren't stocking it at all.
Not how it works. Orders are done ~2 months in advance, so it may take a bit for your pull to get up to speed, but the entire point of a pull list is to sell you what you want to buy. But given this...
>I couldn't see any single issues or trades i wanted
It's not surprising that the LCS model turns some people off.

> It makes it hard for me to engage with anything outside of short runs or miniseries.
I feel you on that.
>>
>>78105793
I didn't want to interrupt just to be told no, but I guess next time I swing by I'll just ask the owner about it. It's kind of difficult because I don't even know what week some of these come out but I can look that up I suppose.
>>
>>78106006
It's understandable to feel a bit lost. Companies advertise to the retailers and not really the customers.

pullist.comixology.com isn't a bad reference.

>I didn't want to interrupt just to be told no
If that happens, you unfortunately found a hostile, crap store. Most stores I've been in will let you look through a previews catalog if you don't know what's coming out. Tell the clerk you'd like to open a pull list and you'd like to look at a current issue of previews.

Obviously don't just butt into the conversation, but make yourself visible and speak up when there's an opening.

Protip: Tuesdays and Wednesdays are bad days for that kind of thing. Tuesdays they just got their weekly order in and they're getting everything together for Wednesday. Wednesday is the busiest business day.

When you say you want to open a pull list, a smart store will hear "I want to spend money at your store on a regular basis."
>>
>>78106006
also midtowncomics has a decent "Previews" section that will show you which items are on the current month's order form.
>>
File: lcs.jpg (115 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
lcs.jpg
115 KB, 960x540
>>78104754
Where do you live? Even in my city with about 150-200 thousand people, the LCS (pic related) will order in anything you want for no extra fee, and also let's you subscribe to books, putting away each issue for you in a folder with all of your subscriptions, which can also be sent home to you every month.

>tfw I had some subscriptions, but I stopped reading comics for a while, and the owner called me up about my increasingly bigger folder I'm sorry Harri
>>
Hello fellow Uppsala customer. Harri goes the extra mile, doesn't he?
>>
>>78107086
He really does, and it's a really great store. Was a while since I was there though, TPBs and such are a little to expensive for me right now.
>>
File: well josuke.png (48 KB, 196x230) Image search: [Google]
well josuke.png
48 KB, 196x230
>>78104664
i still dont get island.what type of stories does it countain?
>>
>>78106729
A small city, there are about 150,000 people. Two comic shops but one is kind of a dive.
>>
>>78107633
It's an anthology, it's all kinds.
>>
I just want more Kingdom Bum
Paper Girls is pretty cool too
>>
>>78107633
It's really hit-or-miss. Some issues feel like a compilation of webcomics. Others, like issue #4, are some of the strongest anthologies I've ever seen.

Only one of the stories has even finished so far, which is another problem. Each issue feels like a completely unrelated roll of the die.
>>
File: Island #6.jpg (139 KB, 592x900) Image search: [Google]
Island #6.jpg
139 KB, 592x900
The only reason I am going to buy Island
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.