[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's easy to gauge the board's opinion on "Dawn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 12
File: Apocalypse.jpg (248 KB, 840x1119) Image search: [Google]
Apocalypse.jpg
248 KB, 840x1119
It's easy to gauge the board's opinion on "Dawn of Justice" and "Civil War", but what are your opinions on "X-Men: Apocalypse"? It's pretty much the underdog of 2016's big wing superhero movies, but is there any hype?
>>
The costumes look terrible, but Singer has proven himself competent.
>>
File: 1.jpg (283 KB, 640x397) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
283 KB, 640x397
What they've released about it sounds pretty good.

>Set in 1982.

>Professor Charles Xavier has rebuild the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters and recruited Scott Summers, Jean Grey and Jubilation Lee as his students. Hank McCoy and Alex Summers are helping him run the school.

>Magneto is on a self-imposed exile in Poland, where he has fallen in love with a human woman, with whom he has a young daughter.

>Mystique is transversing the world, rescuing young mutants from danger, most recently Kurt Wagner, who is brought into the X-Mansion.

>Xavier is called by CIA agent Moira McTaggert to investigate the activities of the Cult of Apocalypse, who worships the original mutant, En Sabah Nur, who has awakened to wreak havoc upon the planet.

>Apocalypse has enhanced himself with advanced technology and has absorbed the powers of multiple mutants. Upon his awakening, he views both humans and mutants as disappointments, and decides to purge the majority of Earth's population so the select few spared can rebuild a stronger society.

>To accomplish this, Apocalypse begins assembling his Horsemen: Ororo Munroe, Warren Worthington III and Betsy Braddock.

>Ororo is a pickpocket whom Apocalypse recruits in Cairo and becomes his most loyal follower.

>Warren is found as a sideshow freak in a fight club in Berlin.

>Betsy is located while operating as a spy in Moscow for mutant broker Caliban, who also becomes one of Apocalypse's followers.

>Apocalypse seeks Magneto as his final Horseman, but he initially declines. However, his powers are exposed, and the superstitious townspeople execute his wife and daughter via firing squad. A guilt-ridden Magneto slaughters the entire population and, in his despair, agrees to join Apocalypse.

>Mystique attempts to reach out to Magneto, but when he refuses her help, she joins the X-Men to stop him, bringing along Kurt. Quicksilver also joins the X-Men to find his father.
>>
>>77740580

I don't really like anyone's look in this. It'l probably be good either way, but underlooked due to the big 2
>>
File: COlE-3PVEAAyyDe.jpg (25 KB, 598x333) Image search: [Google]
COlE-3PVEAAyyDe.jpg
25 KB, 598x333
>>77740580
Ivan Ooze meme be damned I'm excted for Isaac to kill it as En Sabbah Nur.

Besides that's not even his final form
>>
File: 2.jpg (93 KB, 655x363) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
93 KB, 655x363
>Cyclops is a "bad boy", a loner who is unable to control his powers and the most reluctant to follow Xavier's guidance.

>Jean is a introverted young woman struggling to control her powers. Apocalypse's awakening changes the timeline Wolverine had earlier fixed, and she begins experiencing visions of the end of the world brought forth by Apocalypse

>Nightcrawler is the wisecracking comic relief.

>Jubilee is the upbeat, fun-loving comic relief.

>At one point, Xavier is brainwashed by Apocalypse, who also steals assimilates Cerebro's technology into his helmet so he can locate mutants for his army. Pic related.

>Xavier/Moira, Cyclops/Jean and Magneto/Mystique are the romantic pairings explored in the movie.

>Mystique is the field leader of the X-Men.

>William Stryker returns as a CIA consultant on the mutant phenomenon.

>Wolverine will appear in minor capacity.

>Apocalypse will cause "widespread destruction" across the planet and essentially live up to his name. Moreso, he is a charismatic leader who encourages a tertiary point of view to the opposite ideologies of Xavier and Magneto.

>The final battle takes place in Egypt.

>Quicksilver will have another slow-motion, 3600 fps second, this one longer, more complex and involving actual fighting.

>There is a fight between Cyclops, Jean and Storm.

>Famke Jenssen will reportedly make an appearance in young Jean's visions.

>It is the "end" of the FIRST CLASS trilogy, but there are further movies in discussion, and both James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender have reportedly renewed their contracts with Fox.
>>
I'm hyped for Rightclops.

It's crazy to me that he is only in 2 Xmen movies and the 2nd one was just a cameo.
>>
File: wxtwbxbwumpjnsxoosep.jpg (1003 KB, 3600x4422) Image search: [Google]
wxtwbxbwumpjnsxoosep.jpg
1003 KB, 3600x4422
Mohawk Storm turns my penis into diamonds, so yeah, there's hype
>>
>>77740719
we age of apocalypse now?
>>
>>77740580
Well First Class was pretty good and DOFP was pretty good, so I hope for the best. Olivia Munn as Psylocke is incredibly disappointing, though. Both in terms of fap bait and the overall quality of the movie.
>>
>>77740580
Singer will make a passable film that everyone will over praise because they had no expectations going in.
>>
>>77740719
>for mutant broker Caliban
I feel dirty just reading that.
>>
I always found the X-Men movies okayish to meh, unless they were godawful...

The only one I really loved was X-Men: First Class. But I suspect that that's more to do with Matthew Vaugh's direction.
Singer to me has always been extremely mediocre. Serviceable but mediocre. I think apart from The Usual Suspects, he never made a film that I enjoyed fully.
>>
>>77740761

He's been in 4 of the 7 movies
>>
File: sweat.jpg (29 KB, 426x341) Image search: [Google]
sweat.jpg
29 KB, 426x341
>>77740774
looks like I'm going to have to watch this in the cinema
>>
>>77740580

>Shitty costumes
>Apocalypse looks like fucking Squidward
>New cast nobody cares about
>Olivia Munn
>Fox proudly taking a big steaming SHIT all over the source material, ONCE AGAIN

Fuck this garbage. Clearly Deadpool will sell more tickets and soon X-Men will be less of a priority for Fox as the Deadpool movie trilogy gets planned out
>>
>>77740937
you mean "semena"?
>>
My enjoyment of this movie is going to hinge entirely on how much non xavier/magneto/mystique content there is.
>>
>>77740580
I'm looking forward to this more than Dawn of Justice or Civil War.
The trailer for Civil War kinda annoyed me with the whole, "He's my friend." bullshit.
>>
>>77740719
>Apocalypse seeks Magneto as his final Horseman, but he initially declines. However, his powers are exposed, and the superstitious townspeople execute his wife and daughter via firing squad. A guilt-ridden Magneto slaughters the entire population and, in his despair, agrees to join Apocalypse.
hype
>>
>>77740940
See this
>>77740733
>>
I watched the first and second X-Men movies for the first time in forever this week. I really enjoyed them.
I am hype.
>>
>>77740863
This is more or less my opinion.

Marvel has a consistent quality that varies from entertaining cool to kind of bad. They're never completely terrible but likewise are never incredible.

DC tends to swing for the fences on every release, which I respect. Their movies range from absolutely incredible to garbage and the opinions on which one is which varies from person to person.

The Fox movies have been largely "meh". Entertaining enough to watch but almost nothing really memorable about them.
>>
>>77740971
In many ways, I wouldn't be surprised if CW had lukewarm reviews like AoU, while Apocalypse being a sleeper hit, like DOFP.

CW will obviously make more money than Apo, but I think that Apo will be superior in every way to CW. Even Singer himself said something to an extent that "Apocalypse will never be considered as great as many legendary movies, because it's a superhero movie, but it has some of the most touching scenes in history". AFAIR it was in regards to some Magneto scene.
>>
>>77740751
>Cyclops is Wolverine
>>
>>77740596
>The costumes look terrible, but Singer has proven himself competent.

The next time an X-Men movie looks good in pre-production shots will be the first time

DOFP looked like cheap garbage in it's first revealed stuff.
>>
>>77741507
Those costumes were pretty bad in the final cut, too.
>>
>>77740596
Not that terrible, but yeah, Singer can save the day
>>
>>77740907
What?

X1 and X2?

What besides that?
>>
Someone already said it before, but if you want good costumes, watch MCU
If you want plot that doesn't insult your intelligence and interesting, dimensional characters, watch X-Men
>>
>>77741555

It's less that the costumes were brilliant or anything, and more that they were fine, they just weren't flattered by out of context still shots and set photos that haven't had final touchup.
>>
>>77741724
>If you want good costumes watch the DCEU

Fixed that for you
>>
>>77741744
fine by me
>>
>>77740996

>"leak"

You can usually tell it's a legit leak because it's always some guy taking a phone video of another TV screen, the dead giveaway
>>
Kinda bummed out that Deadpool and Wolverine 3 are in IMAX but this isn't
>>
>>77741695

Scott was in X3 and Wolverine Origins as well.
>>
>>77741724
>interesting, dimensional characters,

Yeah, that Mystique is about as interesting as a pile of fucking SHIT

quit kidding yourself, Singer. All the characters are bad
>>
>>77741924
Everything is bad
>>
>>77741963
Everything is awesome
>>
>>77742013
Breaking awesome Bad
>>
>>77740580
Hard to say anything, haven't seen the trailer yet. I'll probably go see it, the last two x-men films have been good.
>>
>>77741888
He cameoed in both. He was actually only in 1 Xmen movie
>>
Heh. I maintain that apart from a couple of moments of brilliance, the X-universe isn't terribly exciting. They have so many famous and interesting characters but don't use them. The actors always seem bored, and there's no sense of either fun or interesting themes. The action is usually very un-creative and dull and even DoFP was just a huge meh to me.

It was competent and well-made, I guess, but lacks attitude or intent, it's just there to showcase wolverine, magneto, professor x and mystique. It's been the same for 6 movies and it's boring. It's too much a product of the early 2000 even now, and nothing ever moves for a reason, people are just dragged here and there to do boring things.

There hasn't been a mansion in ages, classes in ages, different or more interesting powers in ages and it keeps retconning and contradicting itself for the sake of establishing a continuity instead of just rebooting it and do something worth doing.

Even discounting the couple of turds they have, DoFP is arguably the Xmen's most famous story and it was just boring. There's pointless scenes like the one about mystique releasing 5 mutants who never show up or matter again, they just wizz by the screen. No exploration or resolution about Dinklage's character, Wolverine does nothing but being stopped the entire movie, while still somehow managing to get 90% of screen time. It's just there.

The only exception to this all being first class, which has some soul, but even then it feels a bit constricted. AoU has no hype from me.
>>
>>77742415
>AoU
Meant AoA, but it also applies. Ultron held very little hype after watching it.
>>
>>77742216
He was in X-Men 1 and 2 you dumb shit.

And his roles in X3 and Origins arent cameos.
>>
>>77740719

>Xavier is called by CIA
>big guy is the villain

BRAVO
R
A
V
O
>>
I can't take any movie seriously with Olivia Munn in it. Bitch is a known casting couch whore.
>>
>>77740580
Apocalypse looks terrible. I prefer the cartoon version from the 90's.
>>
I want it to be good but I don't think it will be. I'm also a big dumb autist when it comes to X-men movies so even if it is good I don't think I'll enjoy it to its potential.
>>
>>77741724
Uh-huh. Origins didn't insult your intelligence?

Here's a question: if time travellers from the future come back and change the past - not just to something that leads into their future, but into something that explicitly does not change their future, how can they have travelled back into the past to change it?

Don't insult my intelligence, anon. It's tentpole garbage same as the rest of them.
>>
>>77740596
The First Class costumes look good.
>>
I think who ever cast Cyclops, Jean Grey and Psylocke should lose their jobs but other than that it should be alright
>>
>>77742811

Hopefully Emilia Clarke taught hollywood not to hire trendy tv actors.
>>
I think its ridiculous that there's a prominent and completely fucking accurate Psylocke yet we are getting more black armor for the X-Men.
>>
The past few X-Movies have been pretty good, and the production team is largely the same. I don't expect it to be terrible.
>>
>>77742415
I agree 100% but the problem is there was never any plans for so many movies and for them to fit together cohesively so this is the result. They take an action packed story like Days of Future Past and make it much more dull and uneventful.
>>
>>77740751

b-b-but I thought it'd be Scott's time to shine D:
>>
>>77740751
>Quicksilver will have another slow-motion, 3600 fps second, this one longer, more complex and involving actual fighting.

F U C K
Y E S
>>
>>77740580
Bryan Singer has been Sam Raimi longer than even Sam Raimi has, he doesn't get enough credit

>Completely bastardizes the comics
>And still makes really decent movies

I hope he decided to stick around longer. I don't want these guys in the MCU
>>
>>77743704

Scott's just a kid in this one
>>
>>77740580
We'll see how well the next generation kids (Jean, Scott, Storm) can act. I'm not hopeful.
>>
>>77740719
>Warren is found as a sideshow freak in a fight club in Berlin.
Why tho
That's Kurt, not Warren?
>>
>>77740733
This image looks awesome, but i'm really scared that his white eyes will be a "only when using powers to the max" thing
Also, the light blue is WAY better than on >>77740580
>>
>>77741724
>if you want good costumes, watch MCU

This is a joke right? MCU has notoriously bad costumes.
>>
Is there any leaked footage? I have seen set photos, but only the old ones
>>
>>77742456
Everything except X1 was a cameo dude
>>
File: Negasonic-Deadpool.jpg (492 KB, 1330x2000) Image search: [Google]
Negasonic-Deadpool.jpg
492 KB, 1330x2000
>>77743871
This is fucking weird, why don't they have proper x-men costumes like in First Class or like this NTW costume?
>>
>>77744096
There's the leaked trailer from Comic Con. I haven't seen it around in a while though.
>>
>>77744025
because BONESAW IS READY
>>
>>77740580
Uh... We've seen Olivia Munn's tits. They ain't that big. And please, permavirgins, don't say it's a wonderbra because it's not.
>>
File: 1448389127974.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1448389127974.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>77744097
>>
File: 1448351182420.png (192 KB, 346x332) Image search: [Google]
1448351182420.png
192 KB, 346x332
>>77740733
>ApocaLIPS returns
>>
Capeshit of 2016 in Order of Quality: A Prediction

1. Captain America: Civil War (8/10)
2. X-Men: Apocalypse (7/10)
3. Suicide Squad (6/10)
4. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (6/10)
5. Deadpool (5/10)
6. Doctor Strange (5/10)
7. Gambit (4/10)
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Half Shell (3/10)
>>
File: Going-Full-David-Bowie.gif (2 MB, 749x303) Image search: [Google]
Going-Full-David-Bowie.gif
2 MB, 749x303
>>77745157
>Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Half Shell
>>
>>77745157
>1. Captain America: Civil War

Really?
>>
>>77740719

Boy, I can't WAIT to see Magneto turn from a fencesitter to a megalomaniac due to tragedy AGAIN.

>>77745157
>Suicide Squad
>Gambit
>Even on the list

Anon please.
>>
There's no way Oscar Isaac doesn't regret getting involved in this project. He looks ridiculous even by capeshit standards.
>>
>>77745404
ridiculous is good but his design is bad
>>
>>77745251
Which movie or movies on the list do you think will be better?

>>77745175
>>77745279
Yeah, included all 8 being released.
>>
P.Good Tier
>X2
>X-Men: Days of Future Past [Rogue Cut]
OK Tier
>X-Men
>X-Men: First Class
>The Wolverine
Shit Tier
>X-Men Origins: Wolverine
>X-Men: The Last Stand

im kind of i guess cautiously optimistic about this new one.
>>
>>77745404
does he get the $$$ though
>>
I lost faith in Fox-Men a long time ago
>>
>>77740791
>Olivia Munn as Psylocke is incredibly disappointing
i really hate the casting in the x-men movies. hugh jackman is probably the best casting job but even he is not that great (he is too tall for wolverine). first class was a casting shitshow.

MCU doesnt get them all right either, but they cast a lot better than FOX.
>>
>>77740940
>Fox proudly taking a big steaming SHIT all over the source material, ONCE AGAIN
THIS
i'm still fucking mad about dofp
>>
>>77747111
>DoFP
>bad
Wew.
Kids like you shouldn't be allowed of the basement.
>>
>>77747111
Take a good look at MCU films and ask yourself how faithful they are to the source material.
MCUfags defend IM3 for shitting on the source material.
>>
Looks like the same cycle I went through with First Class and DoFP

>Film is announced, premise sounds mediocre, and not thrilled about another X-Men movie in general
>Promo pics, interviews, trailers, and promotion in general look like garbage, hype is in the extreme negatives (here right now)
>Go to see the movie when it releases anyway because nothing else good and friends drag me to it
>It's not nearly as painful as expected, kinda like it because expectations were bottom-of-the-barrel
>Rewatch it later with more reasonable standards and can't really enjoy it anymore
>>
>>77747184
how can you read dofp and pretend like the movie matches the comics??????
>>
>>77747210
You need to be 18 to post on this website, kid.
>>
>>77747210

He doesn't do that because he's not an idiot. Cape movie adaptions never mirror the comicsm for good reason.

WELL YOU SEE ACTUALLY RACHEL SUMMERS SHOULD HAVE SENT KITTY'S SOUL THROUGH TIME TO THE PAST

fuck off.
>>
>>77740751
>>Mystique is the field leader of the X-Men.

Just kill me now.
>>
>>77746513
I'd go...

8/10
>X2

7/10
>X-Men
>X-Men: Days of Future Past

5/10
>The Wolverine

3/10

2/10

I haven't watched the Rogue Cut of Days of Future Past (I've only seen it the one time in theatres) - Is it that good?
>>
>>77747304
Yes. It's far better than the theatrical cut.
>>
>>77747320
Alright, I'll make sure that's the version I pick when I get around to watching it again.
Probably marathon them all before Apocalypse.
>>
>>77742772
They just branched off into an alternate timeline. It's called the Many Worlds Theory. They can never travel back to their original future though.
>>
>>77741086
DoFP had a collection of really good moment and as a casual (to x-men as they only book I've ever read are the First Class books that I read thinking they would be LIKE the movie only to find out they weren't), the characterizations and castings are fine. The only thing that weirded me out as first was Lawrence as Mystique since she didn't strike me a younger version and there's a lesser age difference than there was with Fassbinder and McAvoy (both of whom, once I got over the Professor X being a swinging singleton and walking) I was fine with. I think First Class is very rewatchable and just rewatched pieces of DoFP because my pals bought a huge 3D flat screen and bought the disc. The parts that are really cool still work well, just the entire movie, not as much. I'd be curious to see an extended edition because watching it outside a theater and being able to pause plus talk about it made it feel like stuff was missing.

I know friends who are big fans of the books who hate it because of the changes to the book plot.
>>
>Takes place in 1982
>Angel is a character.

Even with time travel shenanigans that makes no sense.
>>
>>77743462
The same guy in charge of, at least, the writing/scripting for FF has been in charge of the same for the Singer X-Men movies. I think they all suffer from some poor writing. The only ones that took any different takes were Vaughn and his co-writer for First Class (although I personally don't think they are more than hipster edgy con artist DESU, they just have sufficient talent to make it look distinct from most other popcorn movie product).
>>
>>77744114
B/C originally, when they decided to do the first set of movies, they wanted to go away from any primary colors and go with stuff that looked like leather, etc. It's just carry over from that.
>>
>>77747900

It's called "Bryan Singer doesn't care what happened in X3."

>>77747969

Bright primary colors don't really fit in a movie that starts with a Holocaust scene
>>
>>77748101
>It's called "Bryan Singer doesn't care what happened in X3."
I prefer to think of it as "Everyone in the world wants to pretend X3 never happened. Except Kelsey Grammar as Beast."
>>
>>77740751
>Cyclops is a "bad boy"
Bicycle theft confirmed.
>>
>>77747304

>8/10
>X2
>X-Men: Days of Future Past

7/10
>X-Men
>The Wolverine

6/10

1/10
>>
>>77748148

That too.

>as soon as Singer comes back he dedicates an entire movie to retconning X3 out of existence

That kind of high-level spite is delicious. DOFP's end credits may as well have included a scene of Singer taking a shit on Ratner's porch.
>>
>>77748175
Do you blame him? X3 is bad movie.
>>
>>77748196

No way man, I 100% get it. Ratner fumbled what should have been the grand opus of the Phoenix storyline.

Instead of an epic disaster movie we got Magneto and his band of hippies farting round in their Ewok village forest compound for 2 hours while Jean dresses like a 40-year-old Wiccan and mopes in the corner.
>>
>>77740580
>but what are your opinions on "X-Men: Apocalypse"

I keep forgetting it's coming out tbqh
>>
>>77740751
>Cyclops is a "bad boy", a loner who is unable to control his powers

Could he ever? Nigga has to wear shades
>>
>>77748267
>wears shades
>that makes him bad boy
I think you'te onto something.
>>
>>77741724
>Someone already said it before, but if you want good costumes, watch MCU

Was that person blind?
>>
>>77748274

I was talking about him controlling his powers
>>
>>77740596
>Singer has proven himself competent.
All his X-men's movies were average.
Usual Suspect and Apt Pupil are good. X-Men's stories are far from those kind of movies.
>>
>>77748218
It's not really Ratner's fault.

Blame Tom Rothman.
>>
>>77745404
Let's at least wait until we see the finished product before we say he has any regrets.

He's a good actor, assuming the script and direction are awesome he'll do a kickass job.
>>
>>77748148

Kelsey Grammar really was a GOAT Beast
>>
>>77745404
Singer should cast a black actor. Apocalypse have a thick lips in the comic book.
>>
>>77747899
>I'd be curious to see an extended edition because watching it outside a theater and being able to pause plus talk about it made it feel like stuff was missing.

The extended edition is GOAT
>>
>>77740751

Oh fuck off. Might as well have not bothered resurrecting Cyke to begin with.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.