[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chinese Superman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: Super_Man_promo-thumb.jpg (87 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
Super_Man_promo-thumb.jpg
87 KB, 800x480
Does anyone else feel that this idea would have been better served if they had done a "mythology is real" thing and instead of having yet another person with Superman's powers, they had introduced Sun Wukong? He fits the idea of a Chinese Superman much better, he has a place in their culture, and he fits some of Superman's themes ("I can do lots of things"/god among men) without feeling like a copy/paste done purely for a gimmick. They already have Greek gods, why not others? Or would DC not want to use a public domain character they can't control?
>>
>>84360161
it's about marketing
>>
DC believes they can sell more with another iteration of an established name/image than going with a new character. This really shouldn't be confusing for you if you've been reading comics for any amount of time.
>>
>>84360161
>Or would DC not want to use a public domain character they can't control?
It wouldn't work that way. Other people could use Sun Wukong, sure, but they couldn't make him Superman, and in fact, if they'd gone that route, unless someone else had made him a superhero before, they might be able to claim anyone who made him a superhero was ripping them off.
>>84360280
I think OP was asking what if they'd just stuck Sun Wukong in the Superman costume and made him the Superman of China.
>>
>>84360161
I think Yang wanted to do a book about a modern Chinese guy and not just CHINESE MYTHOLOGY YALL
>>
What's the premise for this guy? Is he an alien and all that or did he just get Superman's powers? Because the latter could actually be really interesting.
>>
>>84360161
A modern day person that gets superpowers and the living god from 5,000 year old mythology are vastly different characters.
>>
You just want Goku in the DCU you weeb.
>>
>>84360309
I think he said it was Jim Lee's idea but yeah, that's not the story they wanted to tell.

>>84360327
He's a human who gets Superman's powers
>>
>>84360297
No, I meant introducing the actual Monkey King as a DC character, no "costume."

>>84360353
Yes, and the living god is better than pasting someone else's powers onto someone new.
>>
>>84360414
How is it better? Just because you like mythology more than superhero sci-fi?
>>
>>84360362
Kid, for the last 1245 consecutive days I have been arguing in the Death Battle comment sections on jewtube for why Goku would get his ass pasted by Superman 100% of the time. Goku is a shit character with no development who's fans are a bunch of gibbering monkeys that the world would be better off without. It's not a weeb thing, it's a not-another-gimmick thing.
>>
>>84360414
>Yes, and the living god is better than pasting someone else's powers onto someone new.
A new character with unoriginal powers is worse than a completely unoriginal character?
Ever wonder why you aren't a professional writer?
>>
>>84360444
Do you really think another Superman, with the existence of Jon, Superwoman Lois/Lana/whatever, and Sex Luthor is possibly a good thing?
>>
>>84360448
I'm sorry, what? How are Sun Wukong's powers unoriginal when he was written 500 years ago?
>>
>>84360472
Yeah I don't see the problem, it's a coming of age story set in a foreign country. God shit doesn't fit Kenan at all.

Now you can made the god a secondary character in the book and that might be cool.
>>
>>84360501
>Sun Wukong's powers unoriginal when he was written 500 years ago?
They'd be unoriginal if you put him in a comic like you're saying retard. Cause you know, it was done 5,000 years ago.
>>
>>84360522
>Kenan
Who said anything about him? Did you think I was suggesting him having different powers? No. I mean NO KENAN AT ALL.
>>
>>84360448
Do you really think success in writing can be boiled down to just one factor?
>>
>>84360547
And yet in Marvel Thor is a thing. Greek gods in DC are a thing. Your opinion is shit. Comics have been doing exactly this for 60 years.
>>
>>84360501
>how would adapting a character from another pre existing character be unoriginal
You can't be this dumb.
>>
>>84360161
>book isnt even out
>complaining
>>
>>84360548
>I mean NO KENAN AT ALL.

you're a monster
>>
>>84360583
That's not even what I said, dumb shit. And guess what? It's been happening since before your parents were born: >>84360579
>>
>>84360572
No, but you do apparently.
>>84360579
That's the worst argument for it being an unoriginal idea I've ever heard. Are you actually saying making Sun Wukong into a comic character would be a brand new original idea because Marvel and DC have been doing it for 60 years? Jesus Christ your opinion is shit.
>>
>>84360633
I never said it would be brand new or original. I said it would be more interesting than yet another person with Superman's exact powers.
>>
Sun Wukong is more like Martian Manhunter than Superman, wouldn't really got the role tbqh
>>
>>84360672
I said it'd be unoriginal. You disagreed. Stop trying to back peddle.
>>
Because Sun Wukong is not real, you idiot.
>>
>>84360709
Who's backpedaling? You said it'd be unoriginal, I pointed out how that's not actually relevant.
>>
File: DC-260-79F21A1323.jpg (272 KB, 623x993) Image search: [Google]
DC-260-79F21A1323.jpg
272 KB, 623x993
He's no Thundermind
>>
>>84360161
Nah.
Chica is all about cheap hollow imitation. This works whether it was intentional or not.
>>
China needs to write a book besides Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West someday. It's been 2100 years, you can make a third book.
>>
>>84360982
>whether it was intentional or not.

Pretty sure it was, the first arc is titled "Made in China" and the book is about China trying to make their own JL
>>
>>84360362
>>84360445
But how could Goku beat Superman or vice versa if they were the same person?
>>
>>84361007
There's also the Water Margin and Dream of the Red Chamber. Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West along with those two make the Four Great Classical Novels.
>>
>>84361222
>But how could Goku beat Superman or vice versa if they were the same person?
Because they're both the Demonbane of their universe and Supes is a version of Demonbane that's stronger than Goku DB.
>>
Yang already wrote a book using the Money King though.

On the other hand, it was his best book (although I haven't read Boxers and Saints).
>>
File: suupaaman.jpg (28 KB, 306x414) Image search: [Google]
suupaaman.jpg
28 KB, 306x414
>>84360280

I dunno... Seems like the Chinese would be offended by getting offered a rehash of Japanese Superman.
>>
>>84360548

But we LIKE Kenan anon.
He's a lovable asshole, like OG Kon-El.
>>
File: Are You Serious.jpg (66 KB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
Are You Serious.jpg
66 KB, 400x226
>>84361312
>Four stories
>In two millennia

And Gene Yang can suck my fat nuts. That he keeps getting work shows how terrible comic book standards are.
>>
>>84360353
Wouldn't that be Shazam?
>>
>>84364845
Goku?
>>
>>84365017
There's lots of Chinese books, but I don't think people on /co/ would be that knowledgeable about them.
>>
>>84360161
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v33o9deALkA
I don't know, while I'd love to see Sun Wukong him appearing in comics, but Chinese are very picky about him, so it could go wrong easily.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.