[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: maxx.jpg (82 KB, 423x491) Image search: [Google]
maxx.jpg
82 KB, 423x491
is this good?
>>
yeh
>>
The comic or the cartoon?

Regardless, yes.
>>
>>84263353
YES.
ABSOLUTELY YES.

The cartoon is one of the most loyal, direct adaptations, but it only follows the first 11 issues and they added their own ending and reveal of who Maxx really was. Everything after Julie gets on the plane is MTV-only, but prior to that you can literally read along with the comic 98% of the story.

The comic keeps going until issue 35, and his true identity is very different. Maxx and Julie's story ends at issue 20, though, 21+ is about Sara and a different Maxx. Plus it also features Carl Jung as a pillbug.

I'd recommend watching the show first. The collection is movie-length, extremely faithful to the comic, and has outstanding voice talent.

Oh, and if you want to know what happened between Sam Kieth and MTV to cause them to cancel the cartoon, you have to find the actual physical copies of the issues and look for the hidden messages in the legal text in the inside cover. I don't think the scans have those.
>>
>>84263493
This kinda sums it up.

It's good for what it is. Very much a product of the early 90's. The cartoon is a pitch perfect adaptation of the comic up to a point as that poster described, and features very well done voice-work. Just keep in mind, the cartoon pretty much expects you to continue to the comic, so it doesn't explain some things at all, namely who The Maxx really is, or who Mr. Gone really is. And some of the backstory they do give gets rushed from this.

That being said, it's probably Sam Kieth's best work, and probably contains the least of Sam's issues with women that usually bleeds into his work. While it can be hard to follow the plot like with most of Sam's work, it probably has the most coherent plot he's done besides Four Women.

If you are interested in checking it out, I recommend starting with the cartoon.
>>
Okay, now that i've re-read my rant about how awesome it is and how faithful the cartoon is, i realize i didn't actually explain anything about the story.

Here's the spoiler-free gist of it:
Maxx is a homeless insane person who believes he is a superhero. His only real friend in the world is a social worker named Julie, who always bails him out of jail after he gets arrested for assaulting people he believes to be villains.

The thing is, though, that the imaginary world that Maxx sees may actually be the real world, and the grimy modern city might be an illusion. Maxx fights to protect Julie (who he believes is the Jungle Queen of his outback adventures) from Mister Gone, a serial rapist who is not only obsessed with Julie but also is a student of the mystic arts and is able to travel back and forth between Julie's city world and Maxx's outback world. Reconciliation with the villain is the only way for Maxx and Julie to make sense of their situation, but Gone's kind of a dick and Maxx and Julie are both kind of hot-headed and they keep killing him whenever he starts explaining painful truths.

That may seem like a bit of a spoiler, but believe me it's only the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>>84264096
No, you did spoiler it hard. Why in the hell would you mention "Reconciliation with the villain" when that shit doesn't actually come up until late in the comic? This is stuff the reader is supposed to find out over the course of the story.
>>
Very.
>>
>>84264278
It comes up rather early, actually. Midway through the series that's only the first 1/3 of the comic, really.
"That's the bravest thing I've ever heard of!"
"No, Sarah. The bravest thing...would have been to listen to him."
>>
>>84264527
Yes, back when they all figured he was full of shit. It doesn't become a plot point until way later. The only reason Julie thought she should have listened was he hit some nerves. Hell, the reconciliation part doesn't come up until near the end, during Sarah's arc.
>>
yup
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.