[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I start reading Spider comics? There's always been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: Spidey.jpg (51 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
Spidey.jpg
51 KB, 736x736
Should I start reading Spider comics? There's always been an appeal for me, but I just hear so much shit about huge missteps in the franchise and characters being "ruined" that I feel like even if I start during "the good times" that it will just be a ticking clock until everything I became invested becomes terrible.
>>
>>84200658
It's a long burn, if you read the good stuff and then the stuff people complain about in a relatively short period of time, it won't bug you too much. It's people who grew up with a certain status quo who get upset at shit the most. As a new reader, you won't have that problem.

I would read the Amazing Spider-Man omnibus by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Some of the best comics ever made and generally considered to be the Marvel bible.

Then, read the Death of Stacys and Kraven's Last Hunt. Two classic Spidey stories that will build off the omnibus you just read.

After that, you can pretty much google a reading order for JMS' run and read from there until where the comics are now, checking to Wiki for the occasional development that confuses you or asking /co/ for help.
>>
There are 50+ years of stories bro
>>
>>84200930
He doesn't need to read them all.
>>
>>84200658
>I just hear so much shit
Here's a thought. Why don't you stop listening to the parroting, mouthbreathing hordes of /co/mblr and think for yourself?
Read what you want, when you want.
>>
>>84201012
>Think for yourself about the comics you haven't read and don't own
Oh, fuck off.
>>
>>84201012
I'm sorry """"""""comblr""""""""" scares you so much, but try to restrain your panic to a minimum. Thank.
>>
>>84201043
>>84201113

Holy shit. Are you gentlemen upset or something?

Next time just do what /co/ wants you to do and you'll have a nice safe opinion that everyone here agrees with.
>>
>>84201043
No, fuck you, this anon can read whatever he wants and shouldn't have to take advice from /co/ who is widely known as the board that doesn't read comics.

Op, read whatever it is you want to read.
>>
>>84201291
You are a retard for thinking /co/ is some collective hivemind.
>>
>>84201328
>No, fuck you, this anon can read whatever he wants and shouldn't have to take advice from /co/
He ASKED for advice, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>84201334
>implying that op wasn't looking for the /co/ "seal of approval" so that the shit he's gonna blog about on /co/ would be considered good.

Yeah. I'm the one who's treating this place like a hivemind. I'm totally not telling people to think for themselves here.
>>
>>84201328
OP here, reading shit ton of comics is a big time investment for me given my schedule, and going through 50+ years of a character's history "to see whether I like it" is right out. I made the thread because I don't want to get invested in a character just so that I can be frustrated once I get to the year XXXX
>>
>>84201012
Because there's a lot of comics in the world, and there's probably other shit he could read? People who have already read basically everything have trouble understanding that, for those new to the hobby, it's basically a game of catch-up. The time wasted reading the Clone Saga, for instance, is time he could be reading Moore's Swamp Thing. Knowing if something is worth reading helps a newbie prioritize shit.
>>
As others have said marvel bible is essential The early lee ditko stuff. They can be silly in their own wacky silverage style but were way ahead of its time.

Then follow it up with lee-Romita stories and then Gerry Conways run. His run is kinda a hit or miss where for every good story like death of gwrn stacy we get an arc focusing on Doc Ock marrying Aunt May because ahe inherited a nuclear facility in Canada.

Then you have Len Weins run where nothing happens but I'd reccomend to sticking with it as it redeems Harry Osborn from insanity the first fime aeound, followed by Marv Wolfman who introduced Black Cat and was actually moving Peter forward! New job, new supporting cast etc etc.

Ignore Denny On Neils run after that. He regresses everything Wolfman build for a return to Peters shitty status quo. Only notable thing he did was introduce Madame Web.

After that you get the greats like Stern who introduced Hobgoblin, Defalco - whose work ive always enjoyed, Dematties- guy made venom and carnage and Peter David -probably the best spider writer imho.

I'd reccomend you drop it off after Amazing Spidey 363, after the first Carnage arc. The following arc introduces his parents bsck from the dead.... before revealing 2 years later that thet were robots sent to murder him by a deceased Harry Osborn? Yeah it gets bad. The 90s were an awful time for the spidey fan.

Post Clone Saga comics weren't any better, even if written by Defalco. Just skip to JMS run who started at Amazing Spidey Vol 2 #30. Fair warning tho even he has crafted shit stories like sins past

After Back in Black you should skip One More Day on principle. After that starts the rebooted Brand New Day universe where Peter never married MJ. Its an entirely different setting.

Other books to follow; Spectacular Spiderman - end it before Peter meets his parents. But if you are still sadistix enough to continue end it at 200 where harry dies.

Peter Parker Vol 2- Jenkins run is known to be amazing
>>
>>84201466
Maybe he would like the Clone Saga? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz.
>>
>>84201482
Web of spidey- is the weakest of the spider titles but its my guilty pleasure. Peter David issues have always been on point.

Sensational Spiderman- not that bad, happens during the JMS era.

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman- Another Peter David book

Spec Spidey vol 2- Jenkins follow up series, not as good as Peter Parker series
>>
>>84201578
Spectacular Spider-Man vol. 2 #14 is my favorite comic book of all time.
>>
>>84201509
You're missing the point and you know it. There's only so much a person can read, and there's so much TO read that people eventually have to prioritize, which becomes easier with someone else's assistance.
>>
>>84201617
I think you're missing the point. /co/ has shit taste outside of the universally agreed "greatest graphic novels of all time" that you bunch of hipsters constantly push.
>hurr durr he could be reading swamp thing/sandman/preacher

There's nothing wrong with having your own opinion on stuff. There's also nothing wrong with wasting time on something you're interested in if you're willing to go through with it.
>>
>>84201759
Yeah I'd rather "waste my time" on something that has a good chance of being enjoyable rather than try and be contrarian and read through shit because some people like it. Like I said, I'm looking for good comics to read, not a mountain of comics, some of which there's a slim chance I might like.
>>
>>84200889
OP, this guy's advice is your best bet and is the most easily obtained. As you read, you'll be exposed to more and more references and you can always backtrack to read up on shit you think is cool.
>>
>>84201926
Read whatever you feel would tickle your fancy then, my friend. Fuck whatcha heard.
>>
>>84201578
Web of Spider-Man is pretty fucking dope. All side Spider-Man comics are dope actually. They always were consistent in quality until 90's.
>>
>>84202420
Yea I never understood why people disliked it. It mightve not been the strongest title but it held on its own before the 90s fucked it up.

Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of crap stories before but the 90s was its own special breed of shit. The dip in overall quality is so fucking noticeable.
>>
>>84200658
I probably would recommended:

Stan Lee & Steve Ditko's run of Amazing Spider-Man

Kraven's Last Hunt

Spider-Man Blue

Spider-Man Parallel Lives
>>
just remember that peter never gets a happy ending
>>
File: Spidey Infinite Loser.png (369 KB, 764x396) Image search: [Google]
Spidey Infinite Loser.png
369 KB, 764x396
>>84203087
Because Marvel loves Spider-Man but hate Peter Parker
>>
>>84200658
Last Hunt
Marvel Knights
JMS (It's a must, you wont be sorry)
Best of enemies.

Don't read Lee/Ditko unless if you're okay with some major camp. Suggested the same list above to some friends, half of them couldn't stand the Lee run and half loved it. I personally think it's great.
>>
>>84200658
Just stick to the Original Ditko/Lee Era for 616. Once the 90s hit it's just a downward spiral for 616. I also recommend Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, it's the best run Spider-Man's had in the new millennium.
>>
File: usm.jpg (241 KB, 900x1367) Image search: [Google]
usm.jpg
241 KB, 900x1367
Read Ultimate Spider-man and Ultimate Comics: Spider-man (which is a direct continuation) until Peter stops being the main character.

That is IMO the best Spider-man interpretation to anyone who wants Spider-man without bullshit, with consistency of tone and art and with an actual conclusion.

150+ issues. Pretty great comic. It's on that kissanime website for comics already. Enjoy it.
>>
>>84200889
>I would read the Amazing Spider-Man omnibus by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Some of the best comics ever made and generally considered to be the Marvel bible.
>Then, read the Death of Stacys and Kraven's Last Hunt. Two classic Spidey stories that will build off the omnibus you just read.
What the fuck? Why are your recommending skipping most of Lee and Romita's run?
>>
>>84203732
>implying USM is better than the classic ASM

I want newfags to leave
>>
>>84201482
>Just skip to JMS run who started at Amazing Spidey Vol 2 #30. Fair warning tho even he has crafted shit stories like sins past

I'd say stop reading JMS after the ending of the Happy Birthday arc. I'll admit there were a few things after that I kind of liked, like Peter's (and May's and MJ's) life at Avengers Tower, but it wasn't worth reading all that.
>>
Read orginaal run just to see how it started.
Read Ultimate Spider-Man.
Read Superior Sider-Man for interesting take.
Read Kraven's Last Hunt.
>>
various:
>http://pastebin.com/ajkTi1su

Spider-Man 2099
>http://freetexthost.com/1vpatrvbut
>>
>>84203732
and the best thing about USM is that it's not bogged down by crossovers for several issues making it easy to get into. I agree with this OP, it's what got me into marvel.
>>
>>84200658
no

just buy the original run from the 70s and 80s

it still holds up and it´s not like they introduced anything new that was good after that
>>
>>84201614
Story time it
>>
>>84206873
>implying Symbiotes are not the tighest shit
>>
Mary Jane Loves Spider-Man is the GOAT
>>
I try to get into ongoing spidey every few years and its either fate or coincidence but whenever I do this one artist I fucking hate is always on pencil duty.

His humans all look cartoony and deformed. I can't stand it.
>>
>>84200658
Don't. If you start, there is no return. You will like the old stories, then you will read slott. It's not worth. T. Spideman fan
>>
>>84206975
Okay, give me a second. Are you still here? I don't want to storytime, and the guy who requested it not be here.

>>84203763
Because that's a lot of comics to read and, to my knowledge, there's no omnibus or cheap collection of those issues. I listed the steps of a nice path to get to the modern Spidey comics without being totally confused. Looking back, the only addition I might throw in are the Original Clone Saga and the Birth of Venom trades just so he can see how symbiotes work and the craziness of clones without going full DeFalco. My goal was to give him a pathway to the comics on the stands today, not Great Spider-Man Comics 101.
>>
>>84200889
>Kraven's Last Hunt
I'm curious, since I read from issue 1 up until a little bit after Gwen's death and skipped around after. How long did Kraven stay dead for?
>>
>>84200658
You can't really go wrong reading everything from '63 up to 1998. JMS' stuff is good as well but is tarnished by Sins Past and OMD. I say read everything up until just before Gathering of Five, then switch to the Spider-Girl comics. If Peter's still more your thing, try reading Ultimate Spider-Man or the newspaper strip on Comic Kingdom
>>
>>84207344
>T. Spideman fan
OK I'm going to sound like a complete newfag, but I've been seeing this for months and don't know what it means. What does the 't.' stand for?
>>
>>84209330
TRU.
>>
>>84209261
A long, long time up until like 2011 or something. He still had a wife and kids who made life hard for Spidey though. Read the Grim Hunt storyline, if you want to see how it goes down.
>>
>>84209261
Kraven came back in 2010 during the Grim Hunt story. He's done very little to menace Spidey since then, he just chills out in the savage land and Squirrel Girl convinced him to stop hunting Spidey.
>>
>>84207344
This DESU
I regret the time when I thought Spider-Man comics were cool. Wish I'd had someone to warn me away from everything that came after.
>>
>>84209319
>newspaper strip

There are full color web rips of the newspaper strips:

The Amazing Spider-Man (2013) (DCP Webrips)
http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/6pInpkQQ/file.html

The Amazing Spiderman (2014) (DCP Webrips)
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/JuGOJ3da/file.html

The Amazing Spiderman (2015) (DCP Webrips)
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/8mKxsXGV/file.html
>>
>>84206855
Man, that really killed Miles for me. What a mess.
>>
>>84209361
I feel like that only raises more questions
>>
>>84200950
I think that's what he's saying; that there's such a huge amount of good stories you won't ever need to bother with the bad.
>>
>Lee/Ditko (1-38):
The essential foundation

>Lee/Romita/Kane (39-110):
Built and refined upon the foundation. Daily Bugle grew in prominence, Green Goblin learned Peter's secret, Mary Jane, Kingpin, Rhino, Shocker, Prowler, Morbius, etc.

>Gerry Conway (111-149):
Death of Gwen Stacy, Punisher, Original Clone Saga (the good one), marriage of Doc Ock, Harry becomes the Goblin

>Len Wein (151-180):
Brief run that focused on Harry Osborn quite a bit. Engagement w/ Liz Allen and a third Goblin. Aunt May also has a heart attack

>Marv Wolfman (182-204):
Failure with MJ, Graduation, Black Cat, return of the bugler...brief but memorable

>Denny O'Neil (207-223):
brief and forgettable, skip it.

>Roger Stern (224-252):
Absolutely essential, the best run since Lee. Expanded upon the stories for nearly every side character and villain. Created new intricate support characters and lovingly restored forgotten pathos. Introduced the Hobgoblin and confounded our hero like never before. Explored bachelor Peter stories and reintroduced a more mature MJ. Created the legendary stories Unstoppable Juggernaut and The Kid Who Collects Spiderman.

>Tom DeFalco/Owsley/David (251-289):
Finished Stern's work with the Hobgoblin (for better or worse), MJ knows Peter is Spidey, black costume, silver sable,etc. Essential only as a bridge between Stern and Michelinie.

>David Michelinie/DeMatteis (290-388):
Marriage, Kraven's Last Hunt, Venom, return of the red and blue costume. McFarlane, Larson and Bagley on art...Mike Zeck was better than any of them. This is the turning point for me; the introduction of Venom was great but the over reliance on violent symbiotes and the tedious reintroduction of Oeter's parents killed my interest in the stories. Carnage was such a tryhard edgy 90's garbage dump that it made me look back at Venom as the beginning of the end. Just stop reading around 317~339

Everything after is either putrid crap (clone saga) or hit and miss stumbling (JMS).
>>
>>84210357
As a follow up to this; you're best bet with collecting is the Marvel Masterworks hardcovers and/or Omnibus line.

Masterworks: 1-192

Stern Omnibus: 224-252
Alien Costume Saga vol.1: 252-258
Ghosts of the Past: 259-272

Kraven's Last Hunt: 293-294
Micheline Omnibus: 296-329
>>
>>84209330
>>84209361
>>84207344
Finnish
T. Barbarossa
In regards Barbarossa
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.