[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that season 2 has had time to settle in, what went wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: Flash-Zoom-Mask-Close-Up.jpg (80 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Flash-Zoom-Mask-Close-Up.jpg
80 KB, 1200x600
Now that season 2 has had time to settle in, what went wrong and what went right for this guy?
>>
The looks and he pulled off being scary until he was revealed as Jay.
>>
What went right

>The design
>The spooky voice
>The brutal takedowns
>The origin mirroring Barry's
>His psychotic obsession with destroying peoples' hope and corrupting Barry
>Teddy Sears half the time

What went wrong

>Waifuing Caitlin
>Threat decay after we found out about him, lots of moments were he could've easily killed Flash and didn't
>Too many overlapping motivations in the final stretch (proving he's faster, corrupting Barry, destroying thye Multiverse)
>They didn't explore his psychosis enough, and it was the most interesting aspect of his characterization
>Teddy Sears the other half of the time
>>
Straight full evil just for the sake of it.
>>
they really should do what gotham is doing and divide the season into 2 stories. shorter but much more coherent stories is much better than having the occasional good episodes filled with fillers per season.
>>
Didn't spend his time more wisely, I would have fucked evil Laurel
>>
>>84200996
>Implying he didn't

The sexual tension was palpable.
>>
>>84200971
Yeah I never thought I'd be saying this, but Gotham really showed how to sell a story this season. The other shows should take heed. I was even fine with fucking Fish returning.
>>
>>84201124
>I'll add what went wrong was making Jay Garrick/not-Jay too. That seemed too convulsed, a failed twist.
Yeah we really could have done without that and kept it simple. It basically amounted to Barry feeling shit for making the same mistake as he did with Thawne.
>>
Great start but as lots of people say, they just starting making things up/winging it and it feels very apparent when you're watching. Also, caitlins acting. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>84200940
That was when the character worked. Pure evil. A force of nature. When they tried to give him more depth and explain why he was that way, that's when it failed. They also completely dropped the ball on adapting Hunter. At least Eobard, Snart and even Grodd have some resemblance to their comic counterparts (with potential for Grodd to be more like classic Grodd).
>>
File: 1456787491225.jpg (20 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1456787491225.jpg
20 KB, 320x320
>>84200265
>tfw that scene with Zoom and Killer Frost and the icepick
>>
time remnant shit was retarded
>>
>>84201454
But that's not true, there's subtle hints to Hunter's true identity throughout the early episodes of season 1, and Teddy Sears said he was cast with the notice he'd eventually be revealed to be Zoom.
>>
>>84202250
The subtle hints were given to every character who had possibility of being zoom though and it was made so by the next episode they could easily be like "this is why he was acting shady!"

They never explained the darkness shit
>>
>>84200265
Instead of setting up Zoom, they set up LoT.
I like that Zoom was running from something but they wasted by focusing on other shit like Caitlin's poison vag and Patty. And the bad guys werent all that great.
>>
>>84202150
They overdid it with the time travel this season big time
>>
>>84200265

>What went right

That first fight where he completely rekt Barry then started parading him around

>What went wrong

Humanizing him
Telling us he has a family that got killed and that's what drove him off the edge
Giving him a love interest

Couldn't he just have been a speed demon obsessed with stealing people's speed? Nope has to have a CW love drama tacked onto him.
>>
Should have just been Zoom was the Flash from E3.

Like Barry, he wanted to become faster for personal reasons, but unlike Barry, he became obsessed with this desire. And it eventually corrupted him.

Instead of accidentally using the Speed force to time travel like Barry did, he instead traveled to E4. He has an obsession with becoming faster/being the fastest, so he hunts down E4 flash and steals his speed, which increases Zoom's speed. Afterwards, he travels to other Earths to further his obsession. This lifestyle eventually deteriorates his body, mind, and costume.

When Barry closed the black hole, he gained the attention of Zoom that just recently stole E2 flash's (old flash) speed. Thus, he pretends to be E2 flash so he can mentor Barry to be faster, as to steal his speed.

Zoom is much faster than Barry. While Thawne is faster than Barry because of knowledge, Zoom is faster because of pure speed force energy. Thus Barry must go back in time to gain the knowledge from Thawne, so that he can rival Zoom's pure speed.

Zoom likes to kill, but doesn't kill in E1 because he believes it will interfere with Barry's training. He hates all Wells, because they remind him of the falling out he had with E3 Wells.

The final confrontation is that Barry refuses to race Zoom. Zoom's ego bruised, runs away to kill Barry's friends and family. Thus, Barry is forced to race against Zoom to save everyone, but he is secretly planning with Wells to stop Zoom. E2 Wells recreates Zoom's speed stealing device (originally created by E3 Wells), and Barry uses it to steal Zoom's speed. W/out his speed, Zoom is captured by timewraiths. Barry gives Zoom's speed to E2 flash.

E2 Wells and daughter stay in E1 because reasons.

Dinosaur episode is removed for finale to be more fitting.
>>
>>84204387
I like some of the ideas but something I really want to see in the show is barry breaking his limits due to his loved ones being in IMMEDIATE danger.

A sick scene could have been zoom saying he was going to kill his friends and family and the moment he started running for someone we get a sick ass sequence of barry reacting faster than ever before and running faster than he ever has all over town and stopping zoom in slow mo for each attempt.

There were many parts that could have easily been made epic but couldn't because of the network and just general restrictions.

For example the episode where zoom kills his dad could have had better execution. The use of slow mo is very dramatic and can be used better. Zoom could have easily made a portal when barry was giving his speech and just snapped his fathers neck (too dark for viewers so understandable) and give his one liner about always winning because he isn't good or whatever OR my preferred ending would have been this

Zoom takes barrys dad and is about to kill him like we see in the show. Moment zoom starts moving his hand we get a sequence of barry screaming/crying his eyes out and running to save him and trying to tackle zoom (think side profile) and reaching out, only to have zoom be faster by the time he tackles zoom. Instead we just have him standing there and yelling or something. The flash would have tried to save him.

Lots of little things like this kind of put a damper on the show but nothing they can do being a tv show and small budget (relative to a movie) and having to save money at every turn.
>>
>>84200867
>>84200940
>>84201454
>>84202150
>>84202498
All correct
Also, wanting to destroy the multiverse because eeeeeeeeeeevil.
>>
He shouldn't have been called Zolomon, he had absolutely nothing in common with him.
>>
>>84204497
Yeah it would have been great to have Zoom setup threats and attacks that were too fast for Barry to succeed in, for the sole purpose to fuck with Barry. But then Barry eventually surprises Zoom by succeeding by surpassing his limits out of desperation.
>>
>>84204521
I'm surprised Johns would be okay with them doing this to a character he created. Last time I checked he was a producer on the show. How could he let this happen?
>>
>>84200767
He's Hunter Zolomon you mongoloid
Jay Garrick is played by Barry's dad
>>
>>84204629
Yea I wish they did more stuff like that. They really could have better utilized slow mo "speed" better. Instead of wasting a whole episode on turtle.

WHICH BY THE WAY, the way we view the turtle through pattys eyes if hunter looks like that, it would be perfect.
>>
>>84204967
He's Hunter Zolomon in name only.
>>
He was pretty good at being evil at first. I still preferred Eobard Thawne over Hunter Zolomon
>>
>>84200265
Without the mask on, he's completely unbelievable as a psychotic, that actor CANNOT play crazy,
>>
>>84205082
no shit fucktard, Hunter Zolomon was part of Wally's story, no wonder he's fucking different when they put him against Barry
>>
>>84204497
>>84204629
>>84205061
This, so much. As cliche as it might seem, it's less bullshit than having his backup crew whip up some plot device that only works once, or having other people hand Barry the answers on a silver platter.
>>
>>84204503
I actually liked that.
>>
Well I hope they do something with him as Black Flash. At least the way he is now it's not like he needs a backstory anymore.
>>
>>84210154
He will most likely be better as Black Flash.
>>
File: 1464183242758.jpg (16 KB, 686x388) Image search: [Google]
1464183242758.jpg
16 KB, 686x388
>>84212742
I can see him being a looming threat to Barry without needing to be a season main villain, which could actually be cool.
>>
>>84214297
Plus based Tony Todd can keep voicing him.
>>
Anyone have the webm of him running on a wall?
>>
>he was a serial killer speedster who greedily hunted down other speedsters to become the "Fastest Man Alive"
>literally becomes the speedster avatar of death
One of the good things to come out of his character. It's like pottery.

>>84216277
This.
>>
>>84200265
>What went right
Tony Todd
The design
>What went wrong
Literally everything else.
>>
>>84204967
>He's TEDDY SEARS
>>
>>84200867
>The origin mirroring Barry's
Eh - Barry shouldn't have the Dead Parent's origin just because TCK hates The BatGod but never meet a story he wouldn't rip-off.
>>
File: zoomtrig.png (133 KB, 315x314) Image search: [Google]
zoomtrig.png
133 KB, 315x314
>>84202570
the premise of zoom is simple. he's pure evil and strong, he'd help barry to get really fast and cure himself, and then becomes the fastest speedster in the whole multiverse by destroying all other earths except E1. however, the writers don't really know how to develop zoom properly in 23 episodes. that was certainly not the case for wellsobard
>>
>>84200265
they tried to make Zoom the mysterious who is he mastermind scary and it fell flat because besides for a couple fights he's just run in act threatening and run away. I felt they didn't show him enough and because of that I didn't form any interest in him at all.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.