[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't Mike just illustrate a bunch of lovecraft graphic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: mignola.jpg (110 KB, 814x1070) Image search: [Google]
mignola.jpg
110 KB, 814x1070
Why doesn't Mike just illustrate a bunch of lovecraft graphic novels and make bank? But no he's too busy sticking a paintbrush up his ass to do anything. At this point he can't recover after he ducked over Hellboy in he'll.
>>
*fucked
>>
>>84143323
Mike is a weird guy. He doesn't go by the popular demand. I agree with him that the Hellboy movies are basically Totoro's, but not with some other stances (like not being a fan of his own work being animated), even though I personally respect them. Also, there have been some recent interviews where he flat out said he's already bored with painting.
>>
>>84143486
A lot of artists who try their hand at painting find themselves easily frustrated by it, especially if they were previously illustrators or cartoonists. Simply drawing an image, while talent required, is a lot easier and way less time consuming than a painting; a typical Bob Ross styled oil painting, despite the brevity of the videos, usually requires multiple coats of paint, and mistakes can not be easily fixed. It can take several days for a coat to dry depending how thickly you apply the paint. In all the time it takes to complete the painting, a cartoonist could have made dozens of drawings.
A lot of illustrators go into painting thinking it's basically drawing but with added color, only to realize that it's a wholly different style of work production, and that it just doesn't suit them.
Perhaps Mike is experiencing a similar thing. Has he painted before?
>>
File: timthumb.jpg (853 KB, 450x5465) Image search: [Google]
timthumb.jpg
853 KB, 450x5465
>>84143323
What was the last thing he drew before Hellboy in Hell anyway? What has been keeping him so busy if we haven't had a Hellboy movie in 8 years?

I've been reading trough pic related and he pretty much stopped after the third Hellboy volume or so, even his creative input was minimal outside of Hellboy, the BPRD books often list him as co-author along with that hack Acurdi but it's clear he had essentially no involvement with anything beyond the basic skeleton of the story, the characters regress instead of moving forwards with their development, more often than not create more trouble than they solve and overall the bureau feels like a completely different group than what he created. The worst part is they turned Roger from a lovable Frankenstein into a literal retard with no personality, going as far to explain he really doesn't have one and just copied what his role models (Hellboy and the military guy) did. They had damaged his character so much I suspect the Black Flame blowing him up was a deliberate mercy kill.
>>
>>84143323

In my opinion, Mike Mignolas stuff is some of the best in the comics mainstream.

That said, I don't think his style is well-suited for Lovecraft. He usually takes those elements and uses them like fantasy stuff. But the horror comes from uncertainty. I don't even know if a visual format is adequate at all for Lovecrafts stories.
>>
>>84143323
WHY DOESN'T HE GIVE ME MORE OF THE AMAZING SCREW-ON HEAD?!
>>
>>84147698
I think it flopped, wasn't it supposed to kick-start a toy line too?
>>
>>84143323
But he has been doing just that for years...its called BRPD
>>
>>84147843
>>84147698
Since not many people seem to know about it I'll post the tv pilot here, I don't understand why it was rejected, it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbsDvGtTRWU
>>
>>84147919
Because "Sy-fy's" programming directors made CN look like geniuses.
>>
>>84143323
Fuck off. Mignola doesn't owe you anything.
>>
>>84147919
>Is that a monkey?
>It's got a gun!
>>
>>84147919
>I'm so excited I just made water in my pantaloons

what
>>
>>84149821
He pissed his pants.
>>
>>84143323
Probably because Mike realizes HPL was a generally shit writer and his works unsuitable for a visual medium.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.