[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this show worth a watch? I'm not a cartoon freak, I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Voltron Legendary Defender.jpg (73 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Voltron Legendary Defender.jpg
73 KB, 960x540
Is this show worth a watch?

I'm not a cartoon freak, I'm just a casual viewer. I'm not really interested in the opinions of the anons that have already flooded the 5,672nd Voltron General with 300 images of their favorite robot lion colors fucking. I'm just curious if this is a well made show that is mature enough for an adult to enjoy.
>>
It's okay. Adults enjoy it, but it is a cartoon about children flying around in giant robots fighting aliens so mature isn't really a word I'd use.
>>
>>84128154
there's a lot of ways to measure that
art style? check. fantastic.
animation quality? definitely. no static barely-moving anime here. but very few moments that go way out of their way to overanimate things either.
the cg? damn good.
mecha style? .. could use work in my opinion. a little too modern and western. it makes a lot of changes to the golion design but then it leaves out other, much more obvious changes (like making the lion's muzzle not be a big baseball cap hanging out in front of the face)
characters are good. but if you don't like the modern equivalent of seinfeld, that sort of naturalistic home movies sort of dialogue, you won't be happy.
it has some good humor
the writing is not going to draw you right in with its depth, but it doesn't have any bass-ackwards stupidity either. doesn't contradict itself.. gives the viewer some respect.
interestingly, it's just one long story. the episode endings are arbitrary as shit, even the season ending was a complete abrupt cliffhanger.
performances are good. worldbuilding is -okay- but space seems pretty sparse, and for the most part it's just the same seven people in the same spaceship.
>>
>>84128330
>animation quality? definitely. no static barely-moving anime here.
If you don't know anything about anime then don't bother bringing it up.
>>
Never watched Voltron before in my life but so far I like it
>>
>>84128440
nobody here is a bigger weeaboo than me, tomodachi-kun.
i didn't say all anime, just that anime everyone is familiar with where the framecount is low but the designs are high.. which i prefer over squash and stretch rubbery western shit people praise.
>>
>>84128794
"Static barely-moving anime" is memeshit by people who saw DBZ or Naruto or something and think they're now anime experts.
>>
From one casual to another. It's pretty good, on paper it sounds extremely generic but there's something charming about it that makes it stand out. The stakes are high every episode so you're always glued to the screen wanting to see what happens next. Above average cartoon, would recommend.
>>
File: 1466192203998.jpg (124 KB, 716x390) Image search: [Google]
1466192203998.jpg
124 KB, 716x390
>>84128827
Hahahahahhahahahaha
>>
>>84128154
They hype up the Voltron a lot, but it's good quality stuff. A worthy contender for the backlog.
>>
File: 1466017491431.jpg (65 KB, 469x513) Image search: [Google]
1466017491431.jpg
65 KB, 469x513
>>84128902
In a scale of 0 to 10 how generic is it?

How you compare with the seasons of Avatar? Is it at least as good as the.first one?
>>
>>84128932
I mean what I said. It's memeshit.
>>
>>84128960
I'd say 6/10, it IS generic, but the writing makes up for it a lot, I'd say. The characters are likeable and they know how to balance comedy and drama, action moments are great, etc.

It is inferior to Avatar season 1, but then again, most things are, it's still worth a watch.
>>
>>84128827
again, not saying that's ALL anime, just saying it exists. i know you've watched it. and if you're me, you enjoyed it. it has its place.
>>
>>84129072
yeah, this is how you do generic right, if that makes any sense
and if it doesn't, then.. the same thing i said
>>
>>84129430
Why bring it up just because it exists?

And if Voltron's trailer is any indication, the animation style is about the same. It's not Disney feature film animation or something.
>>
>>84129450
Only hipsters demand the wheel be reinvented so many times its shit. Voltron doesn't break any new ground, it takes what's been a increasingly shallower TV show in the west with each new incarnation, and treats it with respect, animated beautifully, and a kick ass fucking soundtrack.
>>
>>84129636
yeah!
not only is the bar for voltron set low, right now there's almost no serious action shows, so..
>>
>>84128154
As a fan of the original and someone that hates the shipping generals yes its a solid show. Watch it
>>
I have no nostalgia for the original and yeah, I'd say it's worth a shot. The first episode which is actually 3 episodes mashed together didn't really impress me, but the next one or two after that had me sold.

The worldbuilding could use some work, and several of the characters really haven't gotten much backstory or development yet, but they're all pretty likeable and the action is nice. I liked the show a lot more than I was expecting to.
>>
If you like Voltron, as in actually like the old ones, you'll enjoy it more than if you don't.
It's pretty vanilla and doesn't excel at anything it tries. Worth a watch for Allura in the white armor.
Hunk is boring when he's not annoying, ie all the time but there's nothing really bad about it except how safe it is.
I prefer the old ones for the charm and better transformation sequences.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.