[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix adult swim?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 421x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 421x316
More and more, the problems with adult swim keep growing and becoming more noticeable. Feel free to contribute any problems you think I missed. Let's begin.

>original shows that are highly regarded such as Rick and Morty or Venture Brothers take unacceptable amounts of time to get new episodes.
Rick and Morty has actually improved the timeframe quite a bit, but there are still issues, 1 of 2 things happen
>things like VB people just lose interest in or forget about because the wait is so huge, and often times not worth it
>things like R&M with a low episode count get rerun nonstop to a point that watching it at all is infuriating
This leads into the next issue
>not a single AS original has any rerun value when it comes to ratings.
As premieres, R&M etc break viewership records for AS. But as reruns, they barely do good enough to stay on the air. This means we get a Seth/KotH schedule, with some originals thrown in the dead hours.

Can this be fixed or is the ship just gonna sink slowly?
>>
>>84080130
>ignoring performance in recent weeks, Toonami is the most consistently successful thing behind Seth titles
This I just don't understand, and I think tells a lot about the state of AS. How is a block of anime, mostly low quality and dated to boot, always doing so good? On top of being shoved in the shit hours of the night and being paid for by bits of string? I just don't get it.

Anyway, I don't think anything will be done, or can be done to fix it. If AS were to ever lose their contract to Seth titles, they would die within a few weeks. The other stuff they have on hand just can't compete.
>>
>>84080130
How's the state of AS right now?
>>
>>84080314
anime doesn't really air anywhere else and it's comfy

i don't even watch it but it's nice background noise
>>
>>84080130
I feel like the easiest thing is just to burn it all down. It'd suck to lose a lot of good shows, but if [as] wants to get back to what made it good then it needs to go back to square one.

The channel has money now, so it can afford to put money into things, but outside of that just cancel everything, and put entirely new shows out there. No "niche" to fill, no expectations, no point, just putting out good cartoons that you couldn't show in the daytime. And maybe one of them strikes gold, and uncovers an entirely new niche to be tapped.

Of course that'd basically be suicide, so they'd never do that.
>>
>>84080130
The solution is actually really simple, AS goes back to starting at 10pm, rather than 8pm. Their biggest issue is not being able to fill their timeslot. Seth shows have a limit, and originals pull shit ratings. Cut 2 hours off, problem solved.

8pm is too early anyway, that's 7, even 6pm for some parts of the US. Kids are still up watching TV, and I think there is evidence of this in the ratings breakdown from when AS aired DBZ at 8pm on Saturdays. 8pm was always a dead slot for whatever show aired there till they tried DBZ. Total ratings shot way up, but in the demographic breakdown it was because of kids watching, not the 18-34 target.
>>
>>84080350
OP pretty much has it, excluding new premiers, it's the Seth channel any other time. They try mixing it up now and then, but it always fails and they have to revert a few weeks later
>>
File: sad dog.jpg (172 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sad dog.jpg
172 KB, 1280x720
>>84080130
there is no fixing it. the Seth shit pulls ratings for whatever reason. they try putting stuff in earlier slots like ATHF, Home Movies, and no one watches. hell, even their golden show, Rick & Morty, is pulling shit ratings in the early slots on Saturday.

as long as people would rather watch FOX reruns rather than [as] originals, that's what they will air. the network started out as a niche but became profitable when FG and Futurama reruns hit it big. that success was too much to turn down, and so they focus on airing profitable shows rather than good ones.
>>
>>84080130
Seth created and killed modern AS. It gave funding for all those originals, but also performed at a level those originals can never compete with. AS can no longer function at a level acceptable to the execs without Seth
>>
>>84080314
20 somethings really love TOM. If it went back to ASA it would probably be cancelled in a few weeks
>>
>>84080663
>AS is clipped down to 10pm-6am
>3-6 is DVR throwaway hours so don't matter
>all live action shows are cancelled and their funding goes to getting out more animation

How are we doing now? I know live action doesn't cost much, but 10 or so worth of them should make a dent
>>
>>84080130
The rerun issue is real, but you're going to get tired of anything with fewer than 50+ hours in reruns. It's going to take a long damn time to get there with an animation-centric network of any kind.

Licensing anime plugs gaps cheaply, but there's little you could make evergreen here because the ones your audience likes are highly serialized and usually don't have 50+ hours. And if nothing's evergreen, you're going to start scraping the bottom of the barrel after a while.

Getting old HB stuff and plugging gaps could work, if that weren't a whole other channel's shtick (ostensibly) and like half the original programming didn't rely on recycled footage of the same.

Live action can be made fast and cheap, but I feel like there are a lot of people their live action material doesn't appeal to, so it gets the shit slots and never makes it to evergreen rerun status.

Maybe something with puppets? That would allow quick production schedules and wacky cartoon shit. There'd be a relatively high initial investment depending on how you did it, but once you've bought them the props and sets don't go anywhere.

>>84081088
I'm sure ad revenue would plummet badly enough if you nixed 8-10 and Seth that your budget for new shows would be blown to hell.
>>
>>84080314
I don't ever watch Toonami, but would more of it on other nights help? I know they have a few shows with hundreds of episodes that could do with being sped up
>>
>>84081772
Tough to say without trying, but I think that would hurt more than help. You always have to ask why people watch Toonami over streaming, and a big part of that I think is being a "special" thing one night a week. Making it more frequent makes it a chore
>>
1. give alan resnick a show
2. give david firth a show
3. give matthew holness a show
4. cancel flcl 2

there fixed.
>>
File: weihjrnfmeowig.png (211 KB, 853x471) Image search: [Google]
weihjrnfmeowig.png
211 KB, 853x471
They should pick up Galactic KND and Swatkats and put them on Toonami, alongside Samurai Jack, the same way they revived those Hanna-Barbera cartoons for a mature audience, back in the beginning.
Also, Hellbenders.
>>
>>84082702
>hey let's kill Toonami too

People watch Toonami for anime bud
>>
I'd remove every single live action show. They're all awful IMO.
>>
Threads like these are always good for a laugh.
>>
>>84080130
All good ideas

I'd like to add

no more live action original cancer
no hipster weird shit like the "infomercials"
and no more Seth McFarland returns for 6 hours every night
>>
>>84082932
suck my dick some of that infomercial shit is gold
>>
Honestly, I wish they wouldn't make ratings information public so we could avoid threads like these. None of us should know how well a show is performing ratings wise.
>>
>>84083026
>show rerun gets pulled a week or two after starting
>not having ratings info will prevent people from knowing exactly why
>>
I do kind of miss the syndicated anime on week nights. I always felt like 5 nights a week is realistically the only way to watch things like One Piece and Bleach. I would much rather see that than anything live or yet more robot Chicken.

I think I am just sick of all the Family guy, Aqua Teen, Squidbillies, and robot Chicken reruns. It's the only consistent thing and it has been since at least 07'. 9 years is enough time for a change.
>>
>>84081893
They need to get Toonami on earlier in the evening somehow. It's always been on too late for me or anyone else I know to bother with it. Surely they can go for one evening a week without the Fox reruns.

They could also try to find ways to rerun the shows they get for Toonami instead of just taking them off the network the instant they finish. Remember when Space Dandy came along and how that was hot shit for the entire duration of its run but then once the final episode aired, it just completely vanished? Maybe bring that and one or two other shows back on like Sunday nights or something, I don't know. Seems like a waste to only show them once or twice and then never again.

>>84080465
>8pm is too early anyway, that's 7, even 6pm for some parts of the US. Kids are still up watching TV, and I think there is evidence of this in the ratings breakdown from when AS aired DBZ at 8pm on Saturdays. 8pm was always a dead slot for whatever show aired there till they tried DBZ. Total ratings shot way up, but in the demographic breakdown it was because of kids watching, not the 18-34 target.
If this is true, then they should try putting DBZ Kai at the beginning of their lineup on weekday nights once Super gets dubbed and takes its place in the Toonami lineup. There's enough episodes to show it every day without being too repetitive and keeping kids tuned in for that extra half hour seems like a good idea.
>>
Why the hell do people want to watch old reruns of family guy anyway?
>>
>>84083821
I would start watching Adult Swim consistently if they started showing anime on week nights.
>>
>>84082774
Except many watched it for action cartoons underage.
>>
>>84084211
Because idiots love Family Guy and I guess they'd rather watch it on Adult Swim instead of streaming it, buying the dvds, or watching it on one of the other 500 channels that airs it.
>>
>>84080130

>Stop making it a place where FOX shows go to die
>More original animated content
>Re-run older stuff (Space Ghost, Sealab, etc)
>Bring it back to being "Cartoon Network after dark"
>Stop treating highest-regarded shows like shit
>>
>>84084521
>>Bring it back to being "Cartoon Network after dark"

I think this is the primary thing. Right now AS is considered another channel entirely right now with a totally different mindset and idea as what to have on it.

I sort of remember that before Adult Swim there was a CN after Dark segment. Mostly consisted of Superfriends, Gundam Wing, Dragonball and Dragonball Z.
>>
>>84082455
I was with you until 4
>>
>>84082932
>no hipster weird shit like the "infomercials"
Post denied.
>>
>>84080130
Kill Mike Lazzo and string his corpse up from a nearby flag pole.
99% of their problems solved right there.
>>
>>84084038
Well, Toonami recently moved up 30 minutes, and it has been a disaster for its ratings. Last weeks were especially bad.

As for reruns, well those are what got the block cut in half so I don't expect them going back to them anytime soon
>>
>>84084313
Not on AS Toonami they didn't
>>
>>84082455
You do know FLCL was happening anyway, right? AS just decided to step up to the plate for paying its bills
>>
literally just remove all the fox show reruns. that's currently 75% of adult swim. problem solved
>>
Was losing Futurama their biggest mistake? It was their best tool for stopping this many Seth reruns
>>
>>84086619

Pretty much.
>>
File: okay2.jpg (26 KB, 344x341) Image search: [Google]
okay2.jpg
26 KB, 344x341
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkup4zo97E0

;_;
>>
File: flcl.jpg (452 KB, 1613x1200) Image search: [Google]
flcl.jpg
452 KB, 1613x1200
>>84085306
>>84086587
nothing good can come of this.
>>
>>84086945
No one said it would, but even if AS wasn't paying for it it would happen anyway
>>
Somehow get odd future to do more Loiter Squad and maybe get another Killer Mike bump. Boom as is saved.

As much as I would love that shit, they need to have more faith in their shows and create more content. The only reason McFarlane shows do so well there is because there are enough episodes so that the reruns don't stale so fast.
>>
>>84086337
kind of this desu

Aging art house wannabe hipster weirdo who loves Tim and Eric running the whole show.
>>
>>84085388
You're part of the cancer killing adult swim
>>
>>84088465
you sound like a boring faggot
>>
>>84080130
Put some anime back on
>>
I know everyone likes hating on their faux-artsy stoner shit, but can anyone actually link to it so I can see how bad it is for myself?
>>
It's taken me about half the day and all night, but I've created a schedule I'm proud to say is Pretty Good. I've made a synthesis between what the Fans want, and the various scheduling limitations and liabilities adult swim has.
>FOX's Leftovers
8PM: King of the Hill
8:30: Bob's Burgers
9: Cleveland Show
9:30: American Dad
10: Family Guy
>Prime Time
10:30: Rick and Morty
11: Venture Bros
11:30: Home Movies
Midnight: Robot Chicken
12:15: Aqua Teen
12:30: Squidbillies
12:45: Metalocalypse
>Tim and Eric Power Hour
1AM: Eric Andre
1:15: Tim and Eric ASGJ!
1:30: Check it Out!
1:45: Tom Goes to the Mayor
>Cl[as]sic Swim
2: Superjail!
2:15: Sealab 2021
2:30: Space Ghost
2:45: Harvey Birdman/The Brak Show
3: Moral Orel
3:15: 12 OZ Mouse
3:30: Drinky Crow Show
3:45: Xavier
>Witching Half Hour
4: Infomercials/Specials
4:15: Off the Air
>The Dawn is Your Enemy
4:30: China, IL
5: Bob's Burgers (Repeat)
5:30: King of the Hill (Repeat)
>>
>>84092542
I also have an idea for Saturdays, but since I don't really watch Toonami, I'm less condfident in it.
8-10PM: '63 Astroboy
10-11:30: Gigantor
11:30-3AM: Toonami
3: Super Milk Chan
3:30: Garth Marneghi's Dark Place/The Mighty Boosh/Look Around You
4: Infomercials/Specials
4:30: Gigantor (Repeat)
5: Astroboy (Repeat)
5:30: King of the Hill (Friday's Episode, but with Anime Hair)
>>
>>84092601
>>84092542
This is good, anon
>>
>>84092601
Now that I look at it, it'd be a better idea to start Toonami at 10, and only have 2 episodes each of Astroboy and Gigantor, unless you guys know anymore kid friendly anime from that era.
But even then, I don't know whether or not extending Toonami's Hours is a hot topic, since I neither watch it nor go in the threads for it.
>>
>>84092601
That pre toonami schedule would fucking ruin Toonami's ratings. Completely. It would still have to be Fox programs with maaaaybe Morty and or boondocks.
>>
>>84086945
I think every one should wait and see before we all jump on the "it's gonna be shit" wagon. We literally only know a bare bones description at this point and a few tidbits about the production crew.
>>
>>84092687
Like I said, I don't know shit about Toonami. How about this.
>8-9 Astroboy
>9-10 Gigantor
>10-11 Boondocks
>11 Black Dynamite
Also, what do you think about Post Toonami?
>>
File: 1466709495349.jpg (63 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1466709495349.jpg
63 KB, 1024x768
well earth needs more quality anime so till that happens I'm forced to show what I can . we (earth) needs more new artistic minds, there just is not enough creativity theses days.
>>
This wouldn't help ratings, but they really need to go back to the old style of bumps.
>>
>>84092542
>>84092601
>>84092788
Here's my take
Saturdays
8:00 DBZ Kai
8:30 Samurai Jack
9:00 KOTH
9:30 KOTH
10:00 Boondocks
10:30 FG
11:00 FG
11:30 Current Toonami schedule
3:00 Cowboy Bebop
3:30 Space Dandy
4:00 Bleach
4:30 Inyuasha
5:00 KOTH
5:30 KOTH

Sundays
>Syndication Block
8:00 KOTH
8:30 Cleveland
9:00 American Dad
9:30 American Dad
10:00 FG
10:30 FG
>Premieres
11:00 Rick and Morty
11:30 New Squidbillies
11:45 New Brad Neely Harg Nallin
12:00 Mike Tyson
12:15 Mr. pickles
12:30 Robot Chicken
12:45 Aqua Teen
1:00 China, IL
>Marathon
1:30 Whatever
>Winding Down
4:00 DVR Theater
4:30 Home Movies
5:00 Cleveland repeat
5:30 KOTH repeat
>>
>>84080130
I think AS needs to go back to having a system where people could submit bumps, music, animation, pilots and show ideas. Basically turn it into the people's network, sort of a "make what you want to watch" scene, and have either a team of people working quality control, or having an online poll so the people could choose what they wanted to watch even more.
>>
File: ENEMY1200.jpg~original.jpg (332 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
ENEMY1200.jpg~original.jpg
332 KB, 1600x1200
>>84093002
They should bring back this shit too
>>
>>84092989
Mondays: Ratings Day!
8:00 KOTH
8:30 KOTH
9:00 Bob's
9:30 Bob's
10:00 Dad
10:30 New Dad
11:00 New FG
11:30 FG
12:00 Robot Chicken
12:30 Aqua Teen
1:00 Mike Tyson
1:30 Mr. Pickles
2:00 Superjail
2:30 Metalocalpyse
3:00 Cleveland
3:30 Cleveland
4:00 DVR Theater
5:00 KOTH
5:30 KOTH

Just double up everything and get the ratings you need why not
>>
>>84092989
You have too many syndicated shows in Saturday.
I can't really offer an opinion on Sunday, because I left that one untouched. It is the day of premieres for adult swim, and I figure I'd make a different schedule dependent on which show is premiering that night.
>>
>>84080130
I miss Aqua-booty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1koaP11CsE
>>
>>84086619
Could they ever get it back?
>>
>>84092542
For prime time I don't think squidbillies should be there but Boondocks instead but that might be my personal preferance talking. This is honestly really great, anon.
>>
File: 1467003695136.jpg (47 KB, 485x342) Image search: [Google]
1467003695136.jpg
47 KB, 485x342
burn it down.
>>
File: 1456164652658.jpg (247 KB, 700x724) Image search: [Google]
1456164652658.jpg
247 KB, 700x724
>>84082774
>Toonami is solely for anime
>>
>>84093192
Doubt it. That's Viacom's baby now.
>>
>>84081445
>Live action can be made fast and cheap, but I feel like there are a lot of people their live action material doesn't appeal to, so it gets the shit slots and never makes it to evergreen rerun status.

I'm not against them airing live action itself, more that their live action shows are just unwatchable to me. Largely because they're too dependent on gross-out humor or "ironic parody."

If they had done live action that leaned more on surreal humor, I'd be more content.
>>
>>84084038
>They need to get Toonami on earlier in the evening somehow. It's always been on too late for me or anyone else I know to bother with it. Surely they can go for one evening a week without the Fox reruns.
Yeah, I tend to lose interest in TV by about 1:00, even though I don't usually go to bed until an hour later.

Granted, with at the moment the only thing Toonami is airing that I have an interest in is DBZ, I don't have much reason to focus up to that point, anyway.
>>
>>84080130
adult swim in still on the air ?
>>
>>84080130
>Dump all the garbage cartoon
>License Anime
And I'm not talking about normie shit like Bebop or Naruto
>Build your audience around this
>>
>>84082774
I never watched toonami so i dont have any nostalgic or special feeling for it and i think toonami tries too hard to keep anime revelent in west. Normalfags dont care about anime so just let toonami die.
>>
>>84092542
This is pretty quality anon, however I think you need to take out Cleveland shit and add in another family guy because Turner needs that sweet sweet hour of Family Guy ratings
>>
I agree with all the other people who hate the live action shit too. I know those shows cost almost nothing to make, but I hate them with a passion. I actually change the channel when that crap comes on. Even if I happened to fall asleep, that crap makes me wake up and change the channel.
>>
>>84093311
But if I replaced Squidbillies with the Boondocks, then I'd have to take out Metalocalypse too.
I put Boondocks under my revised Toonami schedule.
>>84092788
>>
>>84097070
But anon, I actually like the Cleveland Show.
>>
>>84080130
They should pick up Drawn Together!
>>
by letting it die
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.