[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly attracts certain shows to be very popular with OC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: gemsona troll OC.jpg (67 KB, 736x899) Image search: [Google]
gemsona troll OC.jpg
67 KB, 736x899
What exactly attracts certain shows to be very popular with OC characters? At least with Steven Universe and gemsonas, I understand. But why Homestuck trolls or Sonic OCs? Why is there no huge autistic fanbase making Wander or Gumball OCs despite having a fantastical world where anything can be a character? Why doesn't Adventure Time have it's own "Princess OC" fanbase?

Is it just lightning in a bottle and you never know what'll be popular to donut steel people?
>>
These people probably imagine themselves as part of the world, or at least RP about it, so they need a vassal to do that with.
>>
>>83978945
It helps when there's a theme, hierarchy, or missing/unreleased spots in an organization with finite members.

Steven Universe is popular because there are a ton of gemstones and the characters have diverse looks so it's a shoe in to create OCs. Homestuck trolls have identifiable horns, adherence to color, a computer username and mix and match classes which makes it easy to fill a template.

It's just like Sailor Earth in the 90s
>>
>>83978945

>Why is there no huge autistic fanbase making Wander or Gumball OCs despite having a fantastical world where anything can be a character

Because there's no template. With things like homestuck and sonic, you already have a template to create a character. Same reason why something like Undertale doesn't have that much "original character do not steal" stuff despite the guy who made it having a connection to homestuck. A monster can be absolutely anything you want it to be, so it's a lot harder to make a fan character for it.
>>
>>83978945
The ability to have anything be a character is actually a detriment. The restriction of what the character can be like is actually part of the appeal. Like an artist working with a limited pallet.

The world of the series has also got to be interesting enough to make you want to self insert.

So shows/comics/animu/whatever with interesting worlds and clear templates for what characters should be like tend to be chosen the most. The characters should have some kind of base theme, like gemstones or animals or planets. It makes OC creation easier. The characters also have to be appealing, so either fuckable, cute or cool.

Say for example, a cartoon where all the aliens were based on different stars came out. If all the aliens were gross, no fandom, at least not for the aliens. But if they were sexy anime people a fandom is likely, with a fuck ton of dumb OCs.
>>
>>83979020
>It's just like Sailor Earth in the 90s

But anon Sonic OCs started in the 90s too.
>>
File: file.png (457 KB, 1550x2000) Image search: [Google]
file.png
457 KB, 1550x2000
>>83978945
Sonic was a Felix the Cat original character donut steel. It's fans only followed suit.
>>
>>83978945
If those are OC I then I think I want to fuck them
>>
Think about this, guys: Rebecca Sugar grew up making invader zim OCs.
she probably knows all about the whole " original character, do not steal" sonic OC thing. now, what's the problem with those? They're just re-colors of the characters.

what do you get when you recolor a character in SU? like, you color pearl purple, what do you get? that's just a totally different pearl, a completely legitimate gem character

she made her show completely "original character, do not steal"-proof

"this is my original character Blearl, she's pearl but blue" thats a real character in the show
>>
>>83981089
they're trolls from homestuck as gems
>>
>>83978945
>gem OCs
>with horns
>left has frilled ears
God damn I hate this fucking fanbase.
>>
>>83978945
>anything can be a character
And there's your problem. When anything can be a character like in Gumball, there's no rules to adhere to so your OC character won't feel like he or she is specific to the world he's created to live in
>>
>>83978945
I think having a very simplistic base design is a key factor in it. Look at all the fuck-ton of Sonic OCs or MLP OCs and you'll notice that 95% of them are just lazy recolors.
>>
>>83981557
specially considering all of the characters in that show, by definition, are rejected characters from other shows
basicaly it's a show about OCs
>>
Making homestuck characters is filling in blanks on a sheet. I'ts simple and fun.
>>
>>83981363
Good thing theyre not OCs. See >>83981362
>>
>>83978945
magnificent Iki "ace of sameface" Maru.
>>
>>83981363
why can't gems have horns and frilled ears
>>
>>83981256
Heh
>>
>>83978945
Two things

A setting that implies or has room for a large number of characters (other sburb players, other gems, other hogwarts students, other jedi, other superheroes etc.)

Characters within the setting conform to an easy to follow template

When your cast is varied but ordinary and your story has little in the way of room for delineation on events before or after the plot you don't leave much room for readers to imagine new shit. Hence why you'll probably never see someone's super special OC on deviant art for a book like Roadside Picnic, I hope.
>>
File: PS_Messages_20160620_204730.jpg (146 KB, 517x514) Image search: [Google]
PS_Messages_20160620_204730.jpg
146 KB, 517x514
Simple and coherent character formulas make OC's easier to make, more accessible to fans and explode with donut steels. Sonic characters regularly share the same body types and heads, just change color and head extremities to make donut. SU gems are more varied but share the same characteristics and features within gem types. Shows like gumball are more varied and dynamic due to the very versatile art style of each character. You regularly only see OC's remniscent of the watterson family because they typically share features and traits, rather than a bystander OC. Donut steel cancer rant over.
>>
Why do those trolls look exactly like feferi and aradia. Aren't they supposed to be donut steels?
>>
>>83978945
they have the lore and world building part done for them. its much more interesting to imagine how one would work with such a different fantastical world

>>83982689
theyre the trolls as gems, not really OCs
>>
>>83978945
Templates make it fun. "My Gem is X, they look like Y, the color is Z, their weapon/power is V." Stuff like that. Fusion only makes the spring of creativity flow.
Homestuck also has a template. "The X of Y" and "Z blooded with symbol V" stuff. Trolls are popular because they're (literally) more quirky and they're not boring humans. Powers, colors, neat symbols, interesting horns. What's not to like?
Sonic and MLP OCs seem more related to heavy autism and easy, physical templates than anything. "Sonic but angry and X-colored" "Horse but with four wings and Y-colored and Z-marked"
>>
File: 1458335031367.png (63 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
1458335031367.png
63 KB, 330x330
>>83978945
>gemsonas
Kill yourself, lad
SHit like this is the reason people don't like us and compare us to mlp
>>
the artstyle of the original needs to be simple enough for people without talent to copy and apply to original work
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.