[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: prophet.png (185 KB, 477x734) Image search: [Google]
prophet.png
185 KB, 477x734
Hi /co/,
So i'm finally starting to get into comic and i want to to get some recommendations from you guys.
So far i've read:

Sandman v1 (Pretty good)
Black Science v1 (meh, liked the art and concepts but the writing was kind of shit)
Red Son (Pretty great considering i'm not that into capeshit)
Prophet v1 (Probably my favorite so far, really enjoying they under explaining the universe)
Whytches v1 (meh)
Tokyo Ghost v1( Same problem as Black Science but with better art)
Hellboy v1,2,3 ( Pretty amazing, up there in my favorites)
Neonomicon ( was looking for lovecraftian stuff but this didnt really do it for me the way Hellboy did)
Decender v1,2 (amazing, up there withprophet and hellboy)

Anything else out there like prophet? Also maybe some more Lovecraftian inspired stuff?
>>
>>83839226
If I was you I'd finish Sandman & Hellboy.
>>
>>83839256
Definitely will. Going to my local place on Saturday. Hellboy has been amazing and it seem to have a lot content considering all the spin off series.
It's been kind of hard to get into the Sandman art aesthetic but i'll keep going for the narrative.
>>
File: 9781905437580.jpg (32 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
9781905437580.jpg
32 KB, 400x430
>Not into capeshit
I get it. But I'm glad you're not totally unwilling to read it. There are interesting ideas in it for sure. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is like a Guy Ritchie movie with supervillains.
Everyone should read Judge Dredd. Here is a good story to start with.
Peter Milligans run on Shade The Changing man is fantastic.
>>83839375
>Sandman art aesthetic
I agree. I don't dig the art in the original Sandman. I don't like the art in early Hellblazer either.
>>
File: OCB1_01.gif (280 KB, 566x800) Image search: [Google]
OCB1_01.gif
280 KB, 566x800
If you aren't that into early Sandman do not feel any weird obligation to finish it.

I would suggest if you enjoy Prophet you would probably also enjoy the other work by the people who made it.

Old City Blues
King City
The Wrenchies

And then just expand from there
>>
File: Comic Book Sampler.jpg (715 KB, 1946x1660) Image search: [Google]
Comic Book Sampler.jpg
715 KB, 1946x1660
>Prophet v1 (Probably my favorite so far, really enjoying they under explaining the universe)
King City, by the same author, but totally different.
The Incal/The Metabarons, which were huge influences.

>Neonomicon ( was looking for lovecraftian stuff but this didnt really do it for me the way Hellboy did)
Providence, by the same author, but a different approach.

>Decender v1,2 (amazing, up there withprophet and hellboy)
Essex County, by the same author.

And here's a sampler for comics in general.
>>
>>83839226
If you don't mind manga, Tanabe Gou has done a bunch of Lovecraft's stories in that format.
And Junji Ito's Uzumaki ends up becoming kinda Lovecraftian.
>>
File: Starman 02 00.jpg (255 KB, 990x1524) Image search: [Google]
Starman 02 00.jpg
255 KB, 990x1524
>>83839422
Agreed with SHADE, I'd add James Robinson's Starman
>>
>>83839226
Keep reading Hellboy, it's one of the rare instances in which if it doesn't get better at least the quality stays consistent. All the Mignolaverse is fantastic too, BPRD, Abe Sapien, Witchfinder, Lobster Johnson and Sledgehammer '44. Baltimore is a separate world even if it feels very similar, it's different and an enjoyable read on its own.
>>
>>83839375
>into the Sandman art aesthetic
I'm glad Sam Keith quit after 5 issues, his solo stuff is more interesting to me than Sandman
>>
>>83839700
Early BPRD is comparable all that other stuff really isn't as good as those two however.

Some of the Lobster Johnson specials are also pretty dope
>>
>>83839226
Providence is everything Neonomicon should have been and much, much more, definetely pick it up.
>>
>>83839490
Wrote all those down. Thanks. Yeah Prophet really hits the spot for me.

>>83839422
Dredd is at the top of my list. Going to get it this weekend. Will look into the others. Thanks

>>83839595
Looked into Providence. Guy at my store honestly told me to just read Watchmen before any other Alan Moore stuff so I don't get turned off by him. Will look at Essex County and the rest tho. Thankss

>>83839620
Junji is the body horror guy right? I'll look into both of those guys. Was thinking about Berserk too. Thanks
>>
File: heavy liquid.jpg (33 KB, 302x475) Image search: [Google]
heavy liquid.jpg
33 KB, 302x475
Check out Paul Pope's work, especially Heav Liquid, his masterpiece IMO.
>>
>>83839762
>body horror guy
Among other things, yes. Definitely.
>Was thinking about Berserk too
Now that's completely different, but I can see why it would appeal to you. When you read it, be sure to find the chapter that got cut out for being too "spoilery" for the story. God is in it.
>>
>>83839762
>Guy at my store honestly told me to just read Watchmen before any other Alan Moore stuff so I don't get turned off by him
Whatever does that even mean?
>>
>>83839776
>>83839752
>>83839654
All noted. Thanks guys!
>>
File: Stray-Bullets-top.jpg (433 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Stray-Bullets-top.jpg
433 KB, 630x420
Vagabond and Akira for manga series.

Stray Bullets is my all time favorite comic, please read it OP you won't regret it.

Anything that says Milligan and McCarthy is golden.

Anything by Jason is great.

Blacksad is another fantastic series though it is slightly furry

Anything by Geof Darrow

Daytripper is a 10/10 mini series.
>>83839762
If You look into Essex county also try Underwater welder.
>>
>>83839762
>Guy at my store honestly told me to just read Watchmen before any other Alan Moore stuff
Watchmen is for people who are really into superheroes.

I don't know how much it would appeal to someone who doesn't feel strongly about superheroes.
>>
>>83839226
Sweet Tooth
>>
>>83839898
My dad enjoyed it when I borrowed it to him because he cracked up at Rorschach's silliness and his experience of superheroes is pretty much limited to Adam West's Batman.
>>
>>83839871
He seemed to thing it was one of Alan Moore's weakest and least worth reading. Recommended Watchmen when i didn't like it either.

Anyway I bought Watchmen but haven't cracked it open yet. Its pretty intimidating desu.
>>
>>83839887
>Stray Bullets
Seen this praised before, make a pitch.
>>83839947
It's not bad or anything, it's just that it's really not written for our cultural context.
>>
>>83839887
I didn't even know Akira was a manga, rad. Will look into all of those tho. Thanks

>>83839898
I'm not opposed. Even less so since Red Son was so good.

>>83839914
Noted. Thanks
>>
>>83839978
>>Stray Bullets
It's a short story based crime book spanning multiple decades featuring various characters at different points in their life. Think a less jokey extended Pulp Fiction. It's very harsh with a human and incredibly flawed cast of characters
>>
>>83839978
A Crime series that spans from the late 70's til the late 90's. Each Issue can be read self-contained and the story is non-linear with different arcs focusing on different characters in different times. It constantly keeps you guessing what's going to happens, and as more of the story is published more gaps are filled in. 10/10 best crime comic I've ever read.
>>
>>83840065
>less jokey extended Pulp Fiction
But without its jokes, what is Pulp Fiction? Nothing.
>>
>>83839898
>I don't know how much it would appeal to someone who doesn't feel strongly about superheroes.
Even if someone isn't into the cape commentary Watchmen is a beautifully crafted comic with a lot of clever usage of paneling and art in addition to exploring universal feelings of loneliness, impotence and cold war paranoia.
>>
>>83840087
>without its jokes, what is Pulp Fiction?
A hitman's redemption story told non-linearly with additional stories to flesh out otherwise background characters and emphasize themes present in the main story.

Tonally Stray Bullets and Pulp Fiction are quite different but they both follow the same underlying structure and genre
>>
>>83839226
I'll give you a list of selected capeshit you might enjoy, I hate to sound like Moore but a lot of modern books have just being recycling what the books I'll list have done for quite a while

>Watchmen
Come on, you know this is basically required reading
>Miracleman
Moore's run is great, Gaiman's is great too but very different
>The Dark Knight Returns
Perhaps Miller's best superhero work along with his Daredevil run which I also recommend highly.
>The Authority (only the Ellis and Millar runs)
It's the beggining of "modern" superheroes, a bit edgy at times but thoroughly enjoyable. Stop after Millar's run or read the Revolution mini as a coda and pretend it ends there, it really, REALLY gets bad afterwards.
>The Ultimates and Ultimates 2
Basically The Authority meets the Avengers, but believe me it's way, way better than it sounds. Once again, pretend there's nothing after Ultimates 2.
>All-Star Superman
The definitive Superman story. Gets slightly confusing at times if you don't know much about the character's history but it all resolves in a neat way in the end.
>Ultimate Galactus Trilogy
An update on the classic Fantastic Four story that gives it the dimension and spooky feeling it should have had. Involves pretty much the entire Ultimate Universe and it's a great read.

I'm glad to hear you're a Lovecraft fan as well. Like some people already said the Hellboyverse is pretty much bursting with that kind of stories but I'll give you a few more that I've really enjoyed

>Batman The Doom that Came to Gotham
It's Batman in a Lovecraftian setting by the same author of Hellboy, what more do you need?
>Providence
It's about a jouranlist and his encounters with Lovecraftian stuff but it's actually about Howard himself, it's autismally well-researched and delves DEEP into the lore, context and life of H.P. Lovecraft, issue 10 of 12 just came out
>Nameless
WHAT IS HUMAN?
>>
>>83840243
I'll look into all of these. Thanks for the list man.

>Batman The Doom that Came to Gotham

This sounds especially great. And maybe i'll pick up Providence too since everyone seems to recommend it. Thanks again man
>>
File: 2000AD - Nemesis 08.jpg (907 KB, 1243x1469) Image search: [Google]
2000AD - Nemesis 08.jpg
907 KB, 1243x1469
Well, Dredd already got recommended, so I'm gonna suggest a few more 2000AD strips:
- Nemesis the Warlock by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill: an alien warlock freedom fighter battles the tyrannical empire of Termight, ruled by the mad undead Grand Inquisitor Torquemada. Mixes sci-fi with fantasy but goes further into the latter.
- Shakara by Robbie Morrison and Henry Flint: space alien revenant creature travels the galaxy savagely butchering different people connected to a great tragedy. More sci-fi than fantasy this time around, and also more modern than Nemesis. Mostly a showcase for Henry Flint's art, and what an art it is.
- Sláine by Pat Mills and a bunch of fucking awesome people: a sort of Celtic Conan fights all manner of crazy enemies through ancient Britain and sometimes time and space. Crazy awesome stuff, especially "The Horned God", with art fully painted by Simon Bisley.
>>
>>83839226
If you liked the first volume of prophet you need to check out Simon Roy's other stuff, Tiger Lung, Jans Atomic Heart and the mini Habitat thats published in the Island anthology, Prophet is a cool story in its own right but for me Simon steals the show with his detailed worldbuilding and development of alien cultures

Manhattan Projects may be worth checking put as well
>>
>>83839226
Manifest Destiny and Invincible are both pretty solid. As is The Fade Out.
>>
Nameless by Grant Morrison for some spacey Lovecraft shit
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.