[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does this deserve the hate it gets? I've been reading Batman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10
File: BMAK.jpg (17 KB, 279x357) Image search: [Google]
BMAK.jpg
17 KB, 279x357
Does this deserve the hate it gets?

I've been reading Batman comics for years, and I loved the first two in the series, but hear people bitch about it a lot. Aside from the overuse of Batmobile, does it still feel that need for a Batman-Sim?
>>
I'd rather avoid asking /v/ because they just shit on everything, and I'd love the perspective of other people who came into it as Batman fans first.
>>
>>83811988
Honestly, it's not that the game is bad, it's that it's a massive disappointment. We were promised the biggest Batman game ever to close one of the most prolific comic book-based video game trilogies of all time and we got a game with an annoying overused feature (Tankmobile), questionable use of certain characters (they did a surprisingly good job with Pyg though), shoddy as fuck writing and one hell of an anti-climax ending. Oh, and of course, the metric ton bunch of DLC that's expected of all AAA titles these days.
>>
>>83813300
Is Origins any better? I've heard some people on here give it a lot of praise
>>
>>83811988
>it's not Jason
>no, it's not Jason
>it's not going to be Jason
>it's Jason
>>
I keep meaning to play it, but I get to the Batmobile segments and just get bored
>>
>>83813528
It's a boring retread of Arkham City. Skip it.
>>
>>83813528
Origins is utter shit, only play if you absolutely love the main trilogy

>>83813300
It's really not that bad, the story based DLC concludes so many villain stories very very well, especially mr freeze and his wife. I ended up 200%ing it

The story is for the most part predictable, but still decent, and while the final boss fight may be UTTER SHIT (basically copy paste of previous boss, press 1 button for cutscene), the actual story after the final boss concludes very nicely I thought.

As for the game itself, while the jason is predictable as fuck and the last boss fight is atrocious, the gameplay is the best of the series, and once again everything is littered, i mean littered with shout outs and references. Villains even chatter about the other justice league members, and I remember a huge lexcorp building somewhere.

The only bad thing is the overusage of the tank, which gameplay wise isn't awful, it's good, but not as fun as normal combat, and yea it's overused so much

>>83813657
Nigga just drive and shoot past the segments, they're hardly long

>>83813210
/v/ can't get over the shitty PC port, so you have console gamers praising it flawlessly and PC gamers hating on every aspect of the game
It's playable now on PC, some fps drops sometimes
>>
>>83813528
Origins has the best story of the series (except for that one fucking twist but they actually do something interesting with that one character so whatever) and the worst gameplay.
>>
>shitty 'spam button to punch' boss fights
>emo jason
>joker again (he's even the final boss technically)
>scarecrow wasted, totally boring
>>
>>83813528
More of the same
Positive things are:

>coherent story that isn't just set piece after set piece to introduce some comicbook reference
>some great locations and places like infiltrating the police station
>Bruce is an actual character and not just a walking doll
>great interactions between him and Alred, most villains are great
>great christmas snowy feeling
>detective sections
>riddler trophies aren't obnoxious for once

way better than City to be honest
>>
I just really, REALLY hate how much they forced me to use the Batmobile.
>>
>>83813528
My problem with Origins was that it felt like City but with all the life taken out of it. Between the sterile user interface, empty streets, and borderline monochromatic color scheme, it just felt so empty and unappealing.
>>
>>83811988
I liked it a lot. Look at it as a Batman simulator not a game. Like people were pissed on the Penguin missions that you just follow and track vans through the city. I thought that was very enthralling because that IS what Batman would have to do to track down Penguin.
>>
>Best part of AA is Scarecrow parts
>Scarecrow Is main villain and scary as fuck.
>Not even one trippy fear gas scene...

Fuck you.
>>
>>83814227
Yeah, cause nothing makes me feel more like Batman than tank battles.
>>
File: 1426347582103.jpg (29 KB, 197x190) Image search: [Google]
1426347582103.jpg
29 KB, 197x190
>>83811988
I loved it but I pretty much wank over this series so I can understand why others weren't as keen. I liked driving the Batmobile around for the most part, the combat with it was just pretty shitty.

The overuse of the Batmobile really struck home when major character encounters were reduced to literal tank battles. No idea what the thinking was behind it but it pissed me off. Who on earth thought people liked the Batman game for tank battles? The Mr Freeze boss fight from City got a shit ton of praise, and rightfully so, why then would you go and do the complete opposite? Absolutely baffling and they make the identity of the Arkham Knight ridiculously obvious as you're going through the game. You don't even have to know shit all about Batman to suss it out.

I didn't buy any of the DLC but anon above (>>83813866) said it wraps up some stories well so I might have to buy Season of Infamy when it's on sale. I think a lot of the criticism this game gets is a result of it's terrible PC port, which soured a lot of players from the game altogether. It's a shame that, because Rocksteady didn't handle the port but that was one of the biggest takeways from their swan song, one that remained a problem for a while.

I still need to play Origins, I've had it for probably 3 years now just collecting dust.
>>
>>83814805
but muh batmobile bonus missions
>>
File: dcdbak1sc8.jpg (35 KB, 160x215) Image search: [Google]
dcdbak1sc8.jpg
35 KB, 160x215
>>83814805
No kidding, and judging from the toy I was expecting Scarecrow to pull off his mask and reveal that he had sculpted his mangled face into a visage of terror.

Or at least use it some nightmare sequence, shit's freaky as fuck.

But no, it was just a decoration in some room. what the fuck.
>>
>>83814832
Thats like honestly 4 hours total. Get good you pussy then you can drive around the city in any Batmobile.
>>
>>83814805
>Arkham Asylum has the trick where the game "reboots"
>City has Mad Hatter faking you to a cure
>Knight has ???????

Is Joker supposed to count? I don't think it fits

You are right though, while I don't think they were the best parts of AA, one extended Scarecrow fear gas scene would have been nice. Having too many would just feel like rehashing the same shit
>>
>>83813528
Origins is criminally underrated. Give it a try
>>
Origins is BEST Batman game. Batmobile absolutely fucking ruins Knight, but I enjoyed the rest.
>>
Origins plays like a DLC map for City. Even the gadgets are mostly the same, although the one they added in that you get in the is game breaking
>>
>>83811988
It's the best Arkham game. Best predator gameplay by far, best combat gameplay, best traversal options, best enemy assortment, while featuring a story that's at least on par with City's (even as a shameless rehash of the comic storyline) in content and presented better than any other entry in the franchise, if nothing else due to presentation. It's also gorgeous, and happens to have more playable characters than any other game.

Its reception was just marred really badly by the PC port.
>>
>>83814890
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Joker bit is supposed to fit the criteria. Of course, much like the rest of the game and Origins, the particulars that made the previous portions interesting are lost as soon as the Joker shows up.
>>
>>83814890

How about the constant Joker hallucinations? Better than any trick they've done before.
>>
>>83815669
Only because of Hamill's voice acting, otherwise they'd get old fast.
>>
File: 53838538939.png (213 KB, 322x366) Image search: [Google]
53838538939.png
213 KB, 322x366
>>83813606
>Thought we were getting a cool and cunning anti-Batman that would always be one step ahead of him
>"OH GO AHEAD BATMAN, KNOCK OUT MY GUYS, YOU WON'T KILL BECAUSE YOU'RE A WUUUUUSSSSS, UGH USELESS SOLDIERS!"
>>
File: Snoke1.jpg (66 KB, 856x933) Image search: [Google]
Snoke1.jpg
66 KB, 856x933
>>83814887
Yeah, I thought a twist would be that Cranes face would be more terrifying that his traditional mask.

Pic related is kinda what I thought he looked like under the mask normally
>>
File: z1qoU47.jpg (60 KB, 482x768) Image search: [Google]
z1qoU47.jpg
60 KB, 482x768
>>83814027

>riddler trophies aren't obnoxious for once

WHAT?.

I can't disagree more. Riddler is the worst thing of Origins, boring from the beggining to the end.

At least in City and Knight he rewards you with literally deadly fun puzzles (the races actually had puzzles in them, i don't get the complaint about them) for solving his other fun puzzles (some of them are potentially deadly too, like those at the sewers in City and those with armed robots).

Origins is a deserving entry of the series, but Nygma was the absolute worst part of it. Oh, and the open world is the other shit aspect, it doesn't feel like a city (looks like the PS1 Spider-Man game, just a bunch of buldings together, not an actual city, and why there are so many fucking radio towers in that part of Gotham?), it would have been better as a level based game.

So, in resume: AK Riddler = AC Riddler > AA Riddler > shit > Origins Riddler
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (47 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
47 KB, 480x360
>>83814887
>>83816016

His men were implying that this is his actual face, not a mask.
>>
>>83811988
Apart from the Batmobile's overuse, the lack of enemy variety outside of story missions really hurt the game. And of course, the Arkham Knight twist was the most obvious thing possible.

Pyg and hallucination-Joker were great though.
>>
Arkham Knight had a metric fuckton of good shit in it but they just had to go and balance it out with the bad shit. City GOTY is your best bet to start with, Knight if you really need something to end your cravings.
>>
File: latest.jpg (112 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
112 KB, 1000x1200
>>83817420

Hey Rocksteady, why you didn't brought back my favorite thing from Origins?. British cucks.
>>
>>83811988
No.

When you're out of the Batmobile it's on par with any of the other games.

When you're in the Batmobile its playable.

And anyone who brings up the story is an idiot. None of them were close to high caliber.
>>
>>83813606
The part that really annoyed me is that they flat-out stated that the Arkham Knight was going to be a new character. Fuck you. If you wanted to do Jason Todd, just make it the Red Hood. Fuck you.
>>
>>83817557
>But he is a brand new character :^)

Thanks for getting my hopes up making a OC donut rocksteady.
>>
File: IMG_20160605_040155.jpg (85 KB, 414x510) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160605_040155.jpg
85 KB, 414x510
>We will never get beyond arkham

Why live.
>>
>>83818112
Not even Blüdhaven?
>>
>>83818112
Batman Beyond Arkham?
>>
>>83818112
there's already a Spider-Man game in development we don't need another
>>
File: 1462876151550.png (171 KB, 335x358) Image search: [Google]
1462876151550.png
171 KB, 335x358
>>83818752
The suit looks like shit and it's console exclusive so into the trash it goes.
>>
I actually loved playing through it, the combat is fun as always, the story is enjoyable (though Jason Todd being Arkham Knight was a giveaway) and the whole ending with Scarecrow [spoilers]revealing who Batman is, and that whole section as playing as the joker[/spoilers] was amazing, and I really enjoyed the Joker aspects in general.

Thing is, there's something about it which doesn't compel me to play it through again, whereas I've beaten City many times. Is it the Boss fights? They are definitely the biggest area of disappointment in the game, ESPECIALLY FUCKING DEATHSTROKE!
>>
>>83813528
Origins has great writing and art design. The combat is a lot better due to the fact that you can't cancel a strike into a counter - you have to plan out your moves carefully.

It is however a bit buggy.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.