[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for a couple older Justice League and Freedom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: Justice_League_of_America_107.jpg (69 KB, 400x585) Image search: [Google]
Justice_League_of_America_107.jpg
69 KB, 400x585
I'm looking for a couple older Justice League and Freedom Fighter books. Where's the best place to get quality scans?

Why isn't there a good archive for obscure silver age books?
>>
File: Freedom_Fighters_0007.jpg (1 MB, 1623x1799) Image search: [Google]
Freedom_Fighters_0007.jpg
1 MB, 1623x1799
Bump

Looking for Action Comics from the 80's as well. It's so strange that there arent any collections available even online. It's like there are whole chunks of comics history that are missing. It makes events like Rebirth feel like when they say they're returning to the core of what the characters mean they're just lying to readers to cover up rebranding and marketing. If honoring the history of the characters was really their intention they wouldn't keep erasing the work of creators and would make Golden and Silver Age stories freely available to readers.

Comics feels like a business run by art monkeys more than a creative medium people are using to express themselves and champion ideals. Rant over. Thread can die like the Freedom Fighters.
>>
>>83771453
>would make Golden and Silver Age stories freely available to readers.

I mean, it's difficult because it wasn't until roughly modern times that companies made a point to preserve issues.

A **LOT** of Golden Age stuff isn't able to be digitized/scanned because.... it simply doesn't exist anymore. Or, to the degree that a few copies exist, they may not be in perfect condition -- or, perhaps, they're so rare that it's better to just keep them preserved as collector's items.

All of this is to say that, yes, it's a shame that they're not more available. But in the age of digital comics, they most certainly want people to spend money on old shit. It's just more difficult than it looks.
>>
>>83771649
Image has archivists who go through back issues of Witchblade and Spawn, is it really that expensive to crack open the vaults and start scanning at least A List books like Superman, Batman, and Justice League of America?

Having bulk bundles of the history of DC Comics available might not bring in huge profits, sure, but it'll bring in more than... none, I guess?
>>
If it's not up on Comixology chances are that any downloads just won't be that clear. People usually do rip things after they go up though.
>>
>>83771884
Comixology has the latest Freedom Fighters but is pretty minimal when it comes to anything that came out before Comixology was created. I agree it's a great place to find things online, and I like supporting books when I can, but sometimes you gotta go to darkened alleys in bad neighborhoods to find what you want.
>>
>>83770327
DC used to have something called Archived Editions featuring Golden/Silver Age issues of the title character, like the Marvel Masterworks. The problem is I don't think many first volumes are still in print. Like I got Superman vol 1 at a decent price but Action Comics vol 1 was like 300 USD, 400 for Wonder Woman.
>>
>>83771816
Image is younger than DC/Marvel. It's not difficult to start scanning stuff from the 90s (and DC *does* have lots of stuff scanned from 90s comics). This is especially true since comics market in that era was all about collecting stuff for the future.

The 80s are slightly worse, and as you go back further in time, it's just harder and harder to find copies. A lot of the time, companies simply lose track of their internal back issues during location moves, company sales, restructuring, etc.
>>
>>83771453
Library Genesis has a pretty comprehensive archive. get a good download manager though because their servers are pretty unstable
>>
>>83772605
I'll start digging through LG, thanks for the heads up.

>>83772272
How, as a comics company, are you not keeping multiples of every issue that you release? How is it that as soon as scanners were invented they didn't start archiving everything? This boggles my mind.
>>
File: tumblr_n2v8x3l3R41qai61bo1_1280.png (255 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2v8x3l3R41qai61bo1_1280.png
255 KB, 640x640
>>83771649
This is often the case with a lot of Fawcett stuff which makes me die a little inside due how much I love The Marvel Family, Junior especially. The fiche scans are horrid and look lime somebody went crazy with photoshop's sharpen and brighten filters
>>
>>83771649
I was just readinf about how Johnny Quick's adventures are practically lost since none of the copies are good enough to replicate. There's only like 8 or so online from someones personal collection
>>
>>83773627
Fawcett stuff will always be beat down by DC, they want their brand to be the one that's remembered. The business side of comics is so disgusting.
>>
File: tumblr_nwkvj36sfB1qai61bo1_1280.jpg (631 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwkvj36sfB1qai61bo1_1280.jpg
631 KB, 1280x1707
>>83774645
Well, we did at least get The Power Of Shazam! which was at least somewhat faithful to the original books. Really did not care for the New 52 version, really lacked the wonder, excitement, and heart that I expect from the series. I want to be hopeful for Shazam Rebirth, but something tells me my faith would be better spent elsewhere
>>
>>83775800
Definitely. DC is going to go in a darker direction with the big cheese, as evident by how they abandoned the story Morrison set up with Thunderworld in Multiversity. With Johns as CCO he's probably going to keep building on his work instead of shifting gears. Rebirth and reboots is about streamlining brands so it would be very surprising if we went in a new direction.
>>
>>83776257
I don't really "get" a lot of Morrison's stuff, but he certainly did "get" The Marvel Family. It's just sad that DC is for the most part stuck in "grimdark" neutral and will do nothing but go on a religious crusade to eliminate "happy" from their world much like Tim Curry's character in Toonstruck
>>
>>83776257
Morrison didn't set up anything in Multiversity. He told a story on an alternate Earth. It's still there if anyone cared about the multiverse.
>>
>>83776634
Okay, he reintroduced it in the New52. Something which went out of its way to tell readers what is officially canon and what isn't. If that isn't setting something up then I don't know what is.
Are you Geoff Johns? Why are you in every Marvel family thread?
>>
>>83771453
A lot of the 1980s Action books are digitized. You can find some of those as zippyshare files by searching the archives for /co, DESU.

Example:
http://desustorage.org/co/thread/76901455/#q76983962

In the search window, I put "http+Action Comics (1989) zippyshare"

Just change the year to (1988) and so forth. In this case, the results were HQ scans. If you just wanted digital copies, you could add "(digital)" to your search terms.

>>83770327
Likewise for JLA - most of these (Silver Age) books are also digital.

For both these titles, anything post Silver Age will slowly get released. DC has been releasing World's Finest Comics, primarily the ones featuring the Superman/Batman/Robin team ups, for the year prior to the BvS movie and continuing until last week. Not sure if they are taking a break or what.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.