[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tom King AwesomeCon interview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: tom-king.jpg (22 KB, 474x354) Image search: [Google]
tom-king.jpg
22 KB, 474x354
>Later when asked why Omega Men did not sell better, he replied “the crappy writing.” (His more serious answer cited the non-conventional cover art and his mistaken assumption that everyone would have read the 8 page preview before picking up the first issue)

>In King’s mind, there is a close connection between creators and fans, which is unique to the medium of comic books[...]This is even more so today, where the internet allows publishers to gage readers’ reaction not long after the stores open on Wednesday.

>Kings hopes to give readers something deeper which might spark hours of discussion among friends. His goal is not some fleeting one-off but a story which engages the larger comic book community.
>>
>Which is not to say that all comics must be full of tortured anti-heroes trying to select between shades of grey. Asked about his take on Batman, King was unequivocal in his belief that Batman is a good guy, someone who punches back bullies. While plenty of his other work explores the ambiguity of violence that is not a theme he sees fit for The Caped Crusader. Batman always wins. Batman may be tough (the hardest puncher as King described him) but he is firmly on the side of right. As for the opposing side? Asked if he had any plans for The Joker, King said he was not ready for him yet. King explained that The Joker is such a towering figure that he needs to let a story for him develop naturally. It needs to be at the right time. He compared The Joker to an atom bomb, not something that is deployed haphazardly as its impact is devastating. The Joker is the one menace Batman cannot defeat.

>As for other adversaries, King was mostly tight-lipped on account of spoilers. When asked about modernizing classic villains, he offered that he was not a fan of such efforts. In his mind, there is a danger in losing the essence of what made these characters special in the first place. Writers should be respectful of not only the history of previous stories, but also the affections of fans.

>In King’s mind there is no such thing as an uninteresting character. All the writer needs to do is look in themselves and find a way to relate some aspect of their own personality to the one on the page. He also admitted, of course, that this type of revisionism is part of what he and Tim Seely were doing on Grayson.
>>
>He told me that he viewed Omega Men/Sheriff/Vision as a trilogy, perhaps entitled Lost Innocence. Each series tackles in its own way the idea of good intentions producing bad results.

>At the same time, attempts at empathy, while laudable, can only go so far, as King explored in Sheriff #5, which he described as possibly his favorite issue he has written. (Bonus trivia: Omega Men #8 is his favorite chapter of the series).
>>
Non-conventional cover art is bad? Goddammit mainstream comic buyers are morons
>>
File: Grayson.jpg (67 KB, 416x640) Image search: [Google]
Grayson.jpg
67 KB, 416x640
>>83751040
To be fair, the cover of Grayson #1 is terrible and not in line with the rest of the series' art at all
>>
>>83750977
>Asked if he had any plans for The Joker, King said he was not ready for him yet. King explained that The Joker is such a towering figure that he needs to let a story for him develop naturally. It needs to be at the right time.

Thank god
>>
>>83752103
With the double shipping it'll still be here quicker tho
>>
>>83750977
>When asked about modernizing classic villains, he offered that he was not a fan of such efforts. In his mind, there is a danger in losing the essence of what made these characters special in the first place. Writers should be respectful of not only the history of previous stories, but also the affections of fans.
So Meta Calendar Man was the last shit that Snyder took right?
>>
>>83753646
It would seems so.
>>
>>83751093
I agree, I didn't pick the book up till the first arc was over and everyone was raving about it. Glad I did, but wew do I wish they had chosen a better representative of the art.
>>
>>83754174
>do I wish they had chosen a better representative of the art.

> Having another artist do cover art
Always thought it was stupid
>>
>>83753646
I wouldn't consider Calendar Man very classic though
>>
>>83750977
>>As for other adversaries, King was mostly tight-lipped on account of spoilers. When asked about modernizing classic villains, he offered that he was not a fan of such efforts. In his mind, there is a danger in losing the essence of what made these characters special in the first place. Writers should be respectful of not only the history of previous stories, but also the affections of fans
I'm literally cumming
>>
>>83751093
Hahaha. Shit, his face looks like a bad photoshop.
>>
>>83754212
It makes sense when you get a really talented artist who might be willing to do a single cover for you, but not a full 22 pages. Not so much when they're actually worse than the main artist.
>>
>>83750970
>(His more serious answer cited the non-conventional cover art

That's true. I had no idea it was a Kyle Rayner book until it was too late.
>>
>>83750977
>When asked about modernizing classic villains, he offered that he was not a fan of such efforts. In his mind, there is a danger in losing the essence of what made these characters special in the first place.

oh look, it's a "based tom king is gonna save DC" thread

my favorite type of thread, desu
>>
They should have left Tom King writing both Grayson and Batman. He was so good and it was done too soon.
>>
>>83753646
Calendar Man can hardly be called a "classic villain". The Long Halloween version of the character had nothing in common with his previous appearances, so it's not like he hasn't constantly been changed.
>>
>>83754377
Double shipping Batman is pretty much a full time job. I doubt he's even gonna start any new projects once Sheriff of Babylon and Vision finish up.
>>
>>83754377
Seeley's pretty good himself, don't write him off just yet.
>>
>Asked if he had any plans for The Joker, King said he was not ready for him yet
Thank you, King. Just for this alone I'll be supporting your run.
>>
>>83750977
>r, King said he was not ready for him yet. King explained that The Joker is such a towering figure that he needs to let a story for him develop naturally. It needs to be at the right time
Where were you when King saved Batman
>>
>>83754438
In my humble opinion, the best Grayson issues were:
>Future's End #1 - Only a Place for Dying
>Issue #05 - We All Die at Dawn
>Annual #1 - A Story of Giants Big and Small
>Issue #12 - A Fine Performance

All of those were written by Tom King. I'm not saying Seeley is a bad writer. I really liked the issue with Luthor and the annual with Superman was fun. Still, those Tom King issues are on a different level. These four, especially the first three I listed, stand up as some of the best single issues published by either of the big two in the last decade.
>>
>>83754417
It's only two scripts a month. Omega Men + Sheriff + Vision were more than that and they were running concurrently.
>>
>>83754326
The solicits for the first few issues all said Kyle was dead so a lot of people didn't bother with it because of that
>>
>>83750970
pls write Green Lantern again Tom King

>Kings hopes to give readers something deeper which might spark hours of discussion among friends
I love a book that provides more than what's on the page, I hope Batman can deliver with that
>>
>>83751093
His face makes him look like Jay Leno
>>
File: grayson_1_v.jpg (189 KB, 982x1517) Image search: [Google]
grayson_1_v.jpg
189 KB, 982x1517
>>83751093
Posting superior version
>>
>>83754849
>leaving out #11

That was one of the best issues I've ever read
>>
Is there a TPB yet?
>>
>>83755554
The first issue isn't even out yet.
>>
>>83755554
Of Grayson? The first three volumes are out. Volume 4 comes out in September.
>>
>>83755289
This looks like sex

>>83751093
This is fugly
>>
>>83755686
>>83755706
I was talking about Omega Men.
>>
>>83755742
Comes out in August

https://www.amazon.com/Omega-Men-Complete-Tom-King/dp/1401261531
>>
>>83755742
It comes out in August, but all 12 issues and the 8 page preview is in it
>>
>>83755867
>>83755881
Time to spend some shekels and finally learn how to use Amazon
>>
>>83754244
kys
>>
>>83750977
>As for other adversaries, King was mostly tight-lipped on account of spoilers. When asked about modernizing classic villains, he offered that he was not a fan of such efforts. In his mind, there is a danger in losing the essence of what made these characters special in the first place. Writers should be respectful of not only the history of previous stories, but also the affections of fans.
Literally pulled this shit first issue Tom.
>>
>>83757289
For stating the truth? No one goes "Ah yes, classic Batman villains the Penguin, Poison Ivy, the Joker, Two-Face... and Calendar Man, can't forget him!"
>>
>>83754212
It works for some. Preacher's covers were great even if they didn't match the art of the book
>>
>>83757708
don't try to pretend anybody actually gives a fuck about Calendar Man
>>
>>83760150
The only reason anyone gives a shit about him over someone like Zebra Man is because of TLH, and that was already a reinvention of a classic character.
>>
>>83754849
>Future's End issue

I never expected a tie-in to a mediocre event to be so good
>>
>>83760331
It helps that it just felt like a typical apocalyptic possible future story and didn't need to tie in to the wider event.
>>
I know it's King and we're just fawning on him but a lot of this is standard PR spin for starting a run
>>
>>83762836
But King has so many great books in such a short amount of time. Remember when all we had to judge Snyder on was Detective Comics and American Vampire? That was an amazing time. Don't stop the hype train.
>>
>>83762966

i've been yelling about THE TURN for months now. at least 3 or 4
>>
King is a great writer, but he has no mind for the business at all. The reason it didn't sell? It had nothing to do with Batman. That's literally it.
>>
>>83762836
>but a lot of this is standard PR spin for starting a run

You are confusing how the writers approach a book or balling ideas with "PR fluff". If you have seen DC's attempt at PR and all the various faux scandals, you'd know that PR is non-existent at DC Comics.
>>
Hey I was at that panel! Nathanael is that you?
>>
>>83755289
im so mad because this was the original cover but then they changed it to a pricey variant.
>>
>>83763252

you got me but c'mon

>In King’s mind there is no such thing as an uninteresting character. All the writer needs to do is look in themselves and find a way to relate some aspect of their own personality to the one on the page. He also admitted, of course, that this type of revisionism is part of what he and Tim Seely were doing on Grayson.

is fucking boilerplate
>>
>>83753646

Calendar Man is far from being classic Batman villain, plus considering how his most popular incarnation from the Lng Halloween turned him into just a generic Hannibal Lecter character, which was nothing like how he was depicted before, metahuman Calendar Man is not doing anything special.
>>
>>83764393
Not to mention that Calendar Man changing with the seasons is actually thematically closer to his original incarnation, where he changed his costumes with the seasons.
>>
>>83757708
That had to have been Snyder. We all know he loves fucking around with perfectly fine villains for no reason, look at Freeze.
>>
>>83763178
I think he's trying to avoid the obvious answer of "dumbfucks don't buy good shit because it's not """""important""""" and doesn't have Batman".
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.