[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vertigo/Vertigo-like worth reading.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: vertigo-comics-155601.jpg (44 KB, 620x300) Image search: [Google]
vertigo-comics-155601.jpg
44 KB, 620x300
Okay, what should I read, what should I add to the pile?

I've read Sandman, it was okay. I don't get the hype. I kind of want to re-read the recolored versions to see if it clicks.

I'm reading Lucifer. It's okay, I still don't get the hype.

I've read the Unwritten, which I loved.

I've got Fables handy.

I've read Preacher, which was surprisingly good even though I dislike goofball over the top stuff.

I'm thinking about Books of Magic. But where do I stop? It has like three continuations not by Carey. What's shit, what's worthy, etc?

I have Moore's Swampthing on my radar.

I read a bit of Hellblazer, and I simply didn't like it.

I want to read Animal Man..... kind of. But I don't like Grant Morrison. (Granted, due to his later 2000's main line DC work. Is this older stuff not so up its own ass? Are there actual characters?)

As related to above, I think Doom Patrol is out, but I do have a bit of an interest in the Invisibles.

I've read Transmet, freaking great.

Basically, I know the basics. I know the big ones. Are there any other titles that feel complete and are truly worth looking into?
>>
Forgot to add. I'm not strictly talking Vertigo, but other complete comics in somewhat similar veins.

(I've read the shit out of Hellboy btw, I don't think it's too much like the stuff I'm talking about, although I suspect somebody will.)
>>
Forever Evil was rated best comic on the /co/ poll
>>
>>83722376
>I don't like Grant Morrison. (Granted, due to his later 2000's main line DC work. Is this older stuff not so up its own ass? Are there actual characters?)

Saged, reported, hidden, called the cops, called the Fire Department, called Pizza Hut, called the USN, called Ghostbusters, called the Royal Navy, called the Red Army, called the FBI. called the CIA, called Interpol, called the KGB, called the USMC, called the USAF, called the Royal Air force, called MI 6, called Scotland Yard, called the US National Guard of every state, called NYPD, called Obama, called the Queen, called Putin, called David Cameron, called every Governor of every US State, used my time phone to call Winston Church hill, As well as Hitler, Stalin, Theodore Roosevelt, George Washington, Montezuma, ever Caesar, and Gilgamesh, called US Army, called British Army in every era, called every phone sexline, called papa john's, called the US Coast Guard, called my State Senators, called my Senators, called every republican in the US, called Dr. Who, called the Pope, called my local Gang lords, called the State Patrol of ever state west of the Mississippi, called all of my local news channels, called Star Fleet, called The Sun, called The national enquirer, called CNN, called Scot Pelly, called Steven Colbert, called half of the Mexican Drug Cartels, called Nintendo, called the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force, called the head of the Illuminati, called every free mason, called bilderberg, called my neighbors, called the mayor of every city in France, called my mom, called the Emperor of Man, and called every school district in Canada.
>>
>>83722879
But Morrison is objectively up his own ass and writes terrible characters. OP said nothing wrong.
>>
>>83723177
>objectively
wew
>>
Nocenti/Phillips ongoing and Morrison/Fegredo's mini series of "Kid Eternity"
>>
>>83722376
Shade the Changing Man
>>
100 Bullets
Scalped
Unknown Soldier
>>
>>83722376
>Is this older stuff not so up its own ass? Are there actual characters?

Skip Animal Man. Morrison literally writes himself in as God

Read Unknown Solider by Joshua Dysart, it's the best Garth Ennis comic that he didn't write

Shade The Changing Man by Peter Milligan and Chris Bachalo , but you can stop at issue #50

Sandman Mystery Theater, not the same Sandman as Gaiman's. It's the classic pulpy noir one

Enigma by Peter Milligan and Duncan Fegredo
>>
>>83722376
Invisibles has some of my favorite Morrison characters (Fanny, Jack), but also the most egregious example of a self-insert in all of Morrison's work; King Mob.
>>
>>83722376
Sam & Twitch: udaku
Hellspawn
Goldfish
Fire
Jynx
Torso
All of the above are written by a pre-marvel Bendis.

Heavy liquid by Paul pope.

The human target by Peter Milligan. I'm not 100% sure about this one since I only read it when vertigo initially published it. I think in 1999. I do remember really enjoying the 4 issue miniseries.

Starman by James Robinson. DC superheroes, but it feels very much like early Vertigo superhero comics.

I might be talking out of my ass at this point, but I feel like Batman: Gotham Knights from 2000 was like that too. It was definitely my favorite Batman title at the time.

And lastly;
Dead enders by Ed Brubaker.
>>
Bone
DMZ
Echo
Fear Agent
Godland
Human Target
Locke & Key
Mind MGMT
Nikolai Dante
Northlanders
Queen & Country
Scalped
Sweet Tooth
The Boys
The Exterminators
The Losers
The Unwritten
Wasteland
Zero
>>
>>83723211
But it is objectively true. If it isn't, tell me some good character work he's done and I'll retract my statement.
>>
>>83727508
Buddy Baker and his family.
>>
>>83727508
Buddy in Animal Man is well written. From his interactions with his wife and children, his reaction to their death and his realization that nothing is real and his suffering is because Morrison wanted it Buddy is well characterized and developed.
>>
this should be a vertigo general with links and shit
>>
>>83726019
>Morrison literally writes himself in as God
No, he literally writes himself in as himself.
A writer at the end of a comic run with several dead cats.
>>
>>83728057
This.
I don't get why issue 26 gets people so booty blasted. I think it's one of the all time greatest comic issues.
>>
>>83722879
"Whoa dude... so meta."

There, I just summed up Grant's body of work in four words, OP doesn't have to subject himself to any of his awful comics now.
>>
>>83728319
You best be trolling, son.
>>
>>83722376
>Fables
Why. Everyone says it's shitty Lying Covers galore.

>Animal Man
I agree with your stance on Morrison. Overrated and relies way too much on 3deep5u and lolmeta.
First ~half is pretty good, then Morrison goes lolmeta and starts using the comic as his personal soapbox, telling you why PETA is so great and that you should send them money, complete with an adress.

If you haven't already then read The Goon, it kindasorta ended recently. More Goon might happen but then it should be under a different name (Theatre Bizarre I think).

Depending on what part of Transmet you liked, The Boys and Hitman.might be to your liking as well, both are hilarious.
>>
>>83729067
>telling you why PETA is so great and that you should send them money, complete with an address.
Granted, this was before they went completely crazy.

Give Morrison one more shot with The Invisibles. But you might want to avoid The Filth.
>>
>>83729067
>Depending on what part of Transmet you liked, The Boys and Hitman
Is that really that hard to not mix up Ellis and Ennis?
>>
>>83729350
Already gave The Invisibles, The Filth and his Doom Patrol a shot. Didn't care for either of them.
>>
>>83729067
>Why. Everyone says it's shitty Lying Covers galore.

Literally the first time I've heard this.
>>
>>83729491
That wasn't a mix up.

If he liked the humor in Transmet he might dig The Boys and, to a lesser extent, Hitman.

He should read Hitman either way, because it's that good.
>>
>>83729582
Then you've never been in the win-o thread.

Just to be clear, it's the Zenescope stuff right?
>>
Yeah, I also read Vol 1 of Sandman and didn't get it. Could someone explain the hype?
>>
>>83729845
>Could someone explain the hype
A lot of people like it
>>
>>83729690

.... No. That's Grimm Fairy Tales. I'm talking the Willingham series. Named Fables. From Vertigo.
>>
>>83729350
Wait peta was once something approaching sane
>>
>>83722376
I also think Transmet is great.

Swamp Thing is outstanding. Fables are crap. Grant Morrison can be decent at times. Read his new six issue comic about Lovecraft in space, forgot the name. And Invisibles.
>>
>>83727153
Jynx was pretty neat, basically a low budget Tarantino-like flick.
>>
>>83722376
You'll probably get tired of Invisibles, but for the most part, it's better than Doom Patrol.

Or you can just pick up Morrison Patrol from like, volume 3 onwards and still catch all the good stuff.
>Flex stuff
>Magic Bus>Painting That Ate Paris
>Niles Caulder's endgame and some great moments with Cliff.
>>
>>83722376
Fuck Fables, just read Books of Magic mini. for sure with out hesitation read Swamp Thing by Moore, Hellblazer has its moments but its a lot to get through, definately read Animal Man, if you read anythign at all by morrison it should be this, Doom Patrol and Invisibles are great as well.

For other Verigo read 100 Bullets, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Scalped, DMZ
>>
>>83722376
V for Vendetta. Watchmen. Moore's run on Swamp thing is steadily becoming my favorite. Sandman and Hellblazer are literally fanfics of it, so skip them. Preacher is Ennis's run on HB without the faggy dialogue. Also Jack Kirby's New Gods
>>
>>83731417
>>
D M Z
M
Z

Literally the second best Vertigo comic after The Sandman.
>>
Image has a few "Vertigo-esque" comics going right now, Manifest Destiny is fucking great, also East of West, even Morrison has a few miniseries out, Nameless is fucking great.
>>
File: white people.jpg (223 KB, 969x443) Image search: [Google]
white people.jpg
223 KB, 969x443
>>83722376
>Okay, what should I read, what should I add to the pile?
Stop making recommendation threads.
>I'm thinking about Books of Magic. But where do I stop?
Read from the start, stop when you don't like it anymore. The character ages, and his world acquires quirks and detail. Same with Hellblazer.
>I have Moore's Swampthing on my radar.
Solid shit, for sure.
>I read a bit of Hellblazer, and I simply didn't like it.
Hit your own dick with a hammer. Say which bits, or I can't help you.
>I've read Transmet, freaking great.
Dark Horse probably has tonnes of shit you'd like. They have a publication called Dark Horse Presents that exists solely to expose people briefly to their various shit. Or they did. It can still be gotten.
>Basically, I know the basics. I know the big ones. Are there any other titles that feel complete and are truly worth looking into?
I really liked The Minx, Menz Insana, Neverwhere, Proposition Player, Scalped, Skreemer and Enigma. I hear high praises for Moonshadow, but I dropped it for boringness about half way through. Same for Sandman Mystery Theater.
>>
>>83728001
Hell yeah. I've been scourging all over the internet trying to find Madame Xanadu V2. I got too excited thinking I found it and hit a bad link. I just got all the shit off of my laptop.
>>
I'm thinking about collecting some of the major Vertigo floppies and framing them on my wall. I've got the first issue of Sandman and a copy of Swamp Thing 37. What are some others I should get?
>>
File: hellblazer15.jpg (121 KB, 640x993) Image search: [Google]
hellblazer15.jpg
121 KB, 640x993
>>83732777
I have a couple issues of Hellblazer on my wall because they're pretty. I also have the first issue of The Invisibles but I get that some people don't like that.
>>
I'm wanting to read Morrison's Animal Man, do I need to read Crisis on Infinite Earths to get all of it though? Or is Animal Man one I can just pick up?
>>
>>83732994
Since you already now what CoIE is, you're set to go.
>>
>>83732994
I would if I were you.
>>
>>83732994
No, but you should read COIE anyway.
Then Infinite Crisis, immediately followed by 52 for more Animal Man goodness, as he's lost in space with Adam Strange and Starfire.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.