[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"This may very well be their last hurrah!" It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Freedom_Fighters_0007.jpg (1 MB, 1623x1799) Image search: [Google]
Freedom_Fighters_0007.jpg
1 MB, 1623x1799
>"This may very well be their last hurrah!"
It's pointless to hope for a Freedom Fighters series in Rebirth isn't it?
>>
Huh, I guess so. Weekend /co/ doesn't care about FF. One bump and this thread can pass on into the void.
>>
>>83696026
Pretty sure I saw in a thread the other day that since parts of Phantom Lady's origins and character are public domain they would rather DC would likely only use characters they 100% own. The Multiversity Earth 10 story with the characters, for example.
Also DC is busy focusing on their company line which works in tandem with the movies, shows, and merchandise so they would have no reason to try and bring back a thrice dead team full of literally who's. And also Phantom Lady's costume is the worst costume in the history of comics so why would they take on the heat of either bringing out Boobs McGee or giving her a complete remake (again) which will only be ignored.
Phantom Lady and the Freedom Fighters are dead. Forever.
>>
File: Freedom_Fighters_0004.jpg (2 MB, 1050x1575) Image search: [Google]
Freedom_Fighters_0004.jpg
2 MB, 1050x1575
>>83697679
This.
Every version of the Freedom Fighters has had less than impressive sales and almost no staying power. It's a lineup that never features known characters like Batman and has never really been important to the goings-on of the DC universe. There's no incentive for new readers to hop onto a book full of unfamiliar characters.

>Uncle Sam: Essentially just Captain America but even cornier and more lame. The only way his character would be interesting is if he picked apart the military industrial complex and got pissed about America being a nation of banker thieves and weapon salesmen. But that's already been done and nobody cared. What modern reader wants to be preached at?

>Human Bomb: A less interesting version of Captain Atom. This character only mattered when Cold War nuke fears were rampant. People are too desensitized to care about le bomb. Same as Uncle Sam, he would just be preachy and lame.

>Black Condor: A guy who wears nothing but black wings and flies around? Really?

>Dollman: Fucking stupid. Manlet. Gay.

>The Ray: A lightbulb as a superhero. Would almost be interesting if Stargirl and a dozen other characters didn't already have that gimmick. Potential to be interesting but it would require so much work and past efforts have shown people don't care.

The only interesting one on the team is Phantom Lady but she's been rebooted and retooled so many ways nobody even has a clear understanding of who or what she is. The only thing people know about her is she wears a swimsuit and has huge boobs. There are a couple middle to late aged comic book readers who might remember her fondly but to modern readers she has zero presence.

The team is dead.
>>
>>83697321

What the raw blue fuck.
>>
File: 1465439324316.jpg (86 KB, 1029x819) Image search: [Google]
1465439324316.jpg
86 KB, 1029x819
>>83698620
>>83697679
Unfortunately you're both wrong. The diminishing returns on comic book sales and the fact that superheros with any amount of recognition to capitalize on means the Freedom Fighters characters and brand will always be recycled and reinterpreted so that DC never loses control of them. Get ready for the inevitable numale Uncle Sam who sucks makes out with Human Bomb while transgender Phantom Lady strokes her lady dick in the corner. Black Condor will be called racist and turned into the first multi racial furry character who exists only to represent every minority ever and always talks about how everyone around him is too white. Dollman is probably fine enough as is.
DC is getting its stomach kicked in by a company which makes billions off parents throwing toys and movies and their kids who grow up to be adolescent consumers their whole life.
The Freedom Fighters team is pathetic but far from "dead." Cartoon characters never really die after all.
>>
I feel that you could give these characters a new life if you folded the Freedom Fighters into the JSA.
>>
>>83699954
Yeah, as a sub team that ran as a back up or went on covert missions that were desperate from JSA stuff. Maybe as a secret team to give them a sense of mystery.
>>
>>83700035
Seperate*

I agree. They definitely need fresh blood and association with more established characters.
>>
It'll happen when a volume of Agents of Atlas makes it to a 13th issue.
>>
>>83700229
Haha
>>
>>83699178
People tend to forget that edginess in the Big Two's capeshit peaked in the mid-00s as the Comics Code was abandoned and they started worrying about capturing the interest of adult readers. At the same time, they're still terrified of R-rated profanity and nudity.
>>
>>83703253
The universe shattering events have become way more common since then, hence Rebirth's whole pitch: Everything is going back to the way it was! Again! But it's still the same mentality and business model but increasingly inbred. Comics are weird.
>>
Freedom Fighters can work as the Special OPS kinda of militarized kind of team. You just need someone like Warren Ellis on it.
>>
>>83703802
That actually... would be interesting. I don't usually go for dropping super costumes but you're right, a spec ops team where names like Black Condor and Dollman are codenames would be sexy as hell.
>>
I just want Ray back and not the new52 Korean one with the pretty cool powers.
>>
>>83704658
New52 was such a mess. I'm waiting until things smooth out before starting Rebirth. Black Canary seems fun but I get the sense they're trying to copy Aja and Fraction's Hawkeye vibe so hard.
>>
>>83704658
This is one factor that hasn't been accounted for here.
>Golden Agers
>90s team
>Post Infinite Crisis team
>New 52 team
There have been so many identical but different versions of the Freedom Fighters that who the hell cares anymore?
I'm all for legacy but the constant turnover is draining. Why care about Jennifer Knight when she's going to be killed or erased from existence within a few years and replaced with Tina Knight?
>>
The entire team is public domain except certain aspects dc added and their dc Adventures.

Sames goes for the entire Charlton and fawcett line-up
>>
>>83705707
>team (minus Uncle Sam) gets killed for shock value in Infinite Crisis
>immediately get replaced by nearly identical characters

Hell, weren't there three Phantom Ladies in the post-Crisis, pre-Flashpoint era?
>>
>>83696026
Looking at sales history they never have been a sales success post world war 2. And Dc was the first to put them together in a team.

The concept of them in a team might as well be copyrighted too.

Captain Marvel and Charlton comics characters had far more success in media and books.
>>
>>83705845
The Charleton characters are pretty much considered untouchable due to Watchmen's similarities. Anyone who approaches them would be directly compared to Moore or accused of using the characters Watchmen was based on.
Maybe a fan made anti-Watchmen would be relevant right now. To counter what DC's plans for Doctor Manhattan are.

Magazines were also a lot cheaper during the war, sales were also boosted because they were being sold to troops at the time, correct?
>>
>>83706074
The watchmen are derivatives so it don't really count. They're certainly changed costume and name wise and origins. Ted Kord is up to dispute but the rest aren't.

Company's don't tend to use public domain characters because they don't want to spend time and resources on stuff anyone can copy.

The quality comic sales mostly boomed by world war culture, which they didn't adapt from and changed like Jsa or retained their fanbase or created a new one.
>>
>>83706620
Sure, but the inevitable comparisons will be made. Unless a book went off in a completely different direction. Reconstruction?

I agree, but as someone above me ruined about Earth 10 there are ways DC, or anyone, could rebrand the characters so they completely own them. But as you said, the idea of them as a team is likely copyrighted.

Yeah, which is a shame. Multiple short stories in a single issue was a baller format and Quality had some kickass characters. Too bad every time publishers try that now it gets cancelled.
>>
>>83707333

You could just have them as a standard team doing adventures but no deconstruction or story elements from watchmen.

You can or could rebrand Phantom Lady being able to go trough walls and no Googles. change the color etc if you wanted.
>>
>>83707702
Im 90% sure I remember an ad for a Dark Horse book in the early 00's that was exactly that kind of book
>>
>>83708364
Might be the Ghost.
>>
>>83708492
Oh sorry, I meant the team book.

You're right, Ghost is just reworked Phantom Lady with guns. There's a very interesting archetype that doesn't get mentioned very often, the sort of ghost woman concept. Odd that so many different publishers have put out a female spectre kind of character.
>>
>>83709079
I'm not sure about the team book.

Phantom Lady has the most reworkings and use of them all.
>>
They're a bunch of Golden Age characters from another now-defunct publisher that DC put in a single team where they together served as a coalition that fought against the nazis during the WWII. Then when the war was over they travelled to another universe where the nazis had won and fought there too, because they were hooked on fighting wars or something.

That's the concept: a group of character that came together to fight in wars. You could use them as the government's Justice League, with them butting heads with the Justice League proper whenever there's a conflict of interests between the USA and the rest of the world.
You could also make that the team Plastic Man is from, to give the team someone recognizable.

I would change the name, though.
>>
>>83710305
The name is perfect, what are you even saying? I like that idea though, of a team traveling through the Multiverse for no other reason than to fight and kill Nazis. Golden Age characters were some hardcore sons of bitches.
>>
>>83710415

Freedom Fighters name make them look like fucking commies.
>>
>>83710635
Or super patriots. Oh wait, American exceptionalism is silly now it's not like the internet pissed itself when Cap said "Hail Hydra"
>>
>>83706074
>Maybe a fan made anti-Watchmen would be relevant right now.

You mean what Morrison did in Multiversity?
>>
You could turn them into a super-powered A-Team.

They'd be basically all be disgraced and outlawed former operatives that banded together and now work as mercenaries for any just cause.

Sometimes other heroes would be forced to capture them for some reason or another, but they'd always manage to escape, because god be damned, they're fighting for the old and corny values that the USA was based on!
>>
>>83698620
Human Bomb is awesome, man.
>>
>>83699795
We already got the "social justice" reboot, and it was pretty good. Mostly because Morrison handled it.
>>
>>83696026
>anthropomorphic personification of america
>hero
pick one
>>
File: uncleSam_US_01b.jpg (456 KB, 1000x1603) Image search: [Google]
uncleSam_US_01b.jpg
456 KB, 1000x1603
>>83712416
There was an Uncle Sam series where it was the character wandering around the country getting pissed at how fucked up things had become. Uncle Sam is cool, pleb.
>>
>>83710846
Yeah, but as a standalone story not as part of an event.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.