[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Currently watching the old TMNT cartoons and holy shit these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: TMNT1987Series.jpg (101 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
TMNT1987Series.jpg
101 KB, 720x576
Currently watching the old TMNT cartoons and holy shit these are good, shredder is hilarious as fuck

makes me wonder why do they always try their hardest to portray shredder as a threatening badass in the movies or more recent animated series' when his whole charm was being a goofy mustache twirling idiot
>>
File: shredder curses turtle.jpg (172 KB, 1136x572) Image search: [Google]
shredder curses turtle.jpg
172 KB, 1136x572
>>83667469
>makes me wonder why do they always try their hardest to portray shredder as a threatening badass in the movies or more recent animated series' when his whole charm was being a goofy mustache twirling idiot

Because "Idiot Shredder" wasn't the character from the comics.

The character from the comics murdered a couple as revenge for his brother, spent fifteen years as a crime lord, commited suicide by grenade, got revived as a collective of worms, got killed again by Leonardo and once again came back as a shark monster after some of the worms got inside a shark.

I'm not making any of this up, shit gets really crazy.
>>
>>83667849
I know that the comic version is different because I own a few TMNT comics, but my point which I didnt make well enough is that the "threatening shredder" isnt and never was threatening in the slightest

Krang with the robot body/ the technodrome is much more creepy, idiot shredder needs to return
>>
File: shredder pee.jpg (25 KB, 478x332) Image search: [Google]
shredder pee.jpg
25 KB, 478x332
>>83667469
>>
>>83667469
>>83667919
Original Cartoon Shredder can be fairly threatening at times as well.

In one episode, he GLEEFULLY prepares to murder his own brother underneath the Technodrome. That shit always stuck with me as the point where I saw Shredder wasn't just a silly harmless villain, but a genuine bad guy who won't think twice over killing anybody that stands in his way.

Then he starts whining about wanting to take over the world, and that image is lost a little, but still, he's pretty fucked up in the head.
>>
File: alfa.jpg (20 KB, 608x456) Image search: [Google]
alfa.jpg
20 KB, 608x456
>>83668029
I always thought that TMNT had a pretty creepy underlying vibe with all the shit from dimension X and mutants of all kinds

goofy shredder/ baxter stockmann and bebop/ rocksteady added a good contrast to that
>>
>>83668155
Let's not forget: one of Shredder's most famous lines involve him expressing his intent to EAT the Turtles.

Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady certainly fit the bill for the bumbling 80s villains, but Krang was anything but. All of his bickering with Shredder aside, Krang was almost always business, and sure his plans were crazy, but they were still dangerous, and sometimes actually WORKED.

That's what pissed me off so much about his portrayal in Transdimensional Turtles of the NIck show. They turned him into a brainless idiot who somehow thought that destroying the entire universe was a good idea for a cheap gag, and implied he was a screw up when it was almost always his underlings that ruined his plans, or just the heroes being smarter than him.

But, you know, my geek-rage-o-meter is pretty high when it comes to shit like this.
>>
File: raf.gif (1 MB, 181x148) Image search: [Google]
raf.gif
1 MB, 181x148
>>83668314
back as a lil girl most of the time I was just watching TMNT on VHS, i cant believe why is it so hard for me to find anyone from my age group who has anything but a "I know of it" connection to turtles

as a side note I just watched the second Bay movie today, and I dont understand why wont they use remade versions of any of the old cartoon soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZStwGZtF4w&spfreload=5
>>
>>83668314
If Krang picked a bunch of minions who can't manage to do anything correctly, then yeah, that reflects back on him. It was his choices that let to the screw ups, after all.

Also, in the context of Transdimensional, I assumed it was his general insane plans which got him kicked out, not being a screw up. After all, they weren't pissed at Krang for not succeeding in his plans. They weren't even pissed about Krang putting them in danger, because there wasn't really any danger to them all. Rather, they were pissed at Krang being so short-sighted, willing to blow up several dimensions which they'd put millions of years into just to kill a few people. In their view, he was just incompetent and pointlessly extreme.

Also, I'm surprised that Turtles Forever doesn't get mentioned as well.
>>
>>83668606
I've always loved that initial chord for the Technodrome theme. Not sure what it is about it, but it just sounds really cool.

>>83668635
Well, technically, Shredder was the one who chose Bebop and Rocksteady, so that's more on him. Krang just supplied the Foot ninjas, and occasionally brought in the rock soldiers.

I have to disagree with "there wasn't really any danger to them". TDT was running by TF logic, where destroying the original Turtles destroyed every universe connected with it. At least, I THINK it was; that's what I remember anyway. I could actually be wrong about that, now that I think about it.

Kraang Sub-Prime also calls Krang a "screwup", which typically implies he repeatedly... well, screwed up his or others' plans. It still seems like a very out of character thing for Krang to do: in the original show he was all about conquest, and not destruction. Why would he want to destroy the same universe he had spent so many years trying to conquer himself just to get rid of the Turtles?

I don't know, a lot of that episode rubbed me off the wrong way. It just felt like 80s pandering, rather than trying to write an actual worthwhile episode, but I do understand how fans would like it.

Also, I try not to mention TF. I try to think it doesn't exist, because it makes me a happier person.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.