[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TMNT…What next?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: 1465361463310.jpg (221 KB, 525x375) Image search: [Google]
1465361463310.jpg
221 KB, 525x375
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)
>New "modern" take on TMNT
>Critically panned
>Financially successful

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016)
>Sequel to TMNT (2014) but more of an adaption of TMNT '87
>Critically panned
>Financially unsuccessful

Where do they go from here? Reboot again? Try another sequel with less pandering to '87 fans? Stop making TMNT films?
>>
They'll make a critically panned, financially successful third movie.
>>
>>83643105
Dark and gritty!
R rated!

Bloody violence with real consequences!

Splinter dies?
>>
Going into this movie with zero expectations, it wasn't bad...like it wasn't objectively good, but if you like TMNT and specifically the cartoon there's really no reason not to see it

Although, one thing I wish they actually explained (and maybe they did and I missed it?) was why the foot clan are actually ninjas now...I know WHY they did it from a behind the scenes stand point, but from an in universe stand point it's kind of odd how they went from being like a heavily armed police force to being a bunch of ninjas

The only reasons I could come up with was that maybe that was Sach's influence and now that he's out of the picture it's just Shredders vision of the Foot or something, idk
>>
Everybody involved signed on for three movies, and toy sales plus overseas will probably result in the movie being profitable eventually. My thoughts are to give audiences time to realize the sequel is actually good despite the first one sucking, let that opinion set in, and then release a third installment.
>>
File: download_20150520_124719.gif (497 KB, 234x134) Image search: [Google]
download_20150520_124719.gif
497 KB, 234x134
>>83643748
But wasn't Sach sucking fat ninja dick all day erry day? He had a huge Japan fetish, right?
>>
Make an actual sequel to the original movie.
II and III weren't the worst things in the world but they veered too far from the first one.
>>
Remove Michael Bay from the project
Don't let Michael Bay work with TMNT ever again
File a restraining order against Michael Bay
Kill Michael Bay
>>
>>83643105
>Michael Bay's TMNT
>critically panned
>nobody gave a shit
>nobody watched it

>Michael Bay's TMNT2
>critically panned
>nobody gave a shit
>nobody watched it

>What went wrong?
Nobody gives a shit about Michael Bay's TMNT series. The second movie isn't "a sequel to TMNT '87" and absolutely everybody knew it. That's why nobody even bothered taking the time to sit down and watch it.

>Where do they go from here?
Hopefully, they stop trying to pander to nostalgia. It just isn't working. They do better when they try making it a fun ninja action cartoon aimed at kids, where at least a new audience will like it.

Nobody asked for a movie sequel to the 1987 cartoon, nobody asked for an attempted reboot of the franchise, and certainly nobody asked for the guy who made the 2007 Transformers film to do it. Maybe this will start to clue people in to those facts.
>>
just make a movie that follows the idw comic universe
>>
>My thoughts are to give audiences time to realize the sequel is actually good

Out of the Shadows was horrendous though. At least the first one is a watchable action movie with some semblance of a structure. The 2nd tried so badly to be the 80s cartoon and suffered because of it. Bebop and Rocksteady were literally the only redeemable parts of the movie. Everything and everyone else felt shoehorned in and ultimately wasted. The acting is worse, the action is worse, the plot is absent etc… Im not saying the 2014 one was good but its sure as shit better than out of the shadows.

>>83643748
I love TMNT but hated out of the shadows. I was excited for casey and krang etc… but they absolutely wasted them - which is worse than not including them.

>>83645795
This.
>>
>>83645885
oops meant to quote >>83644576
>>
I don't give a fuck about the "Corporate Buy More Toys Turtles". All the movies from the 90's were made for toddlers. Fuck the cartoons. Fuck all of it.

I liked the 2014 movie. It was enjoyable.
>>
>>Financially unsuccessful

But it's only been out for one week, you can't say it won't even be semi successful.

>>83644998

And you're just dumb. I hate the "nobody asked for" shit, you can literally think of anything and think "nobody asked for this".

It's shitposting.
>>
>>83643105
just
adapt
the comics
and do more that feels similar to them
just do the 2003 series but with better acting and the ability to talk about and show death. put the goddamn ninja back in ninja turtles. i want some blood.

also leave eastman out, he even admits he's a hack and laird has all the talent.
>>
Does anyone actually give a shit about TMNT anymore except for the rapidly aging 35-40-somethings who grew up with them in the 80s?
>>
>>83644697
>>83644998
Wasn't Michael just one of the producers, not the director?
>>
>>83643105

Real Talk:

Is it true that the IDW run is good? Wanna read me some good turtles.
>>
>>83647409

I'm a 24 and I didn't grow up with them but I do love them.
>>
>>83649218

Its pretty much the best version of Turtles ever.
>>
>>83646179
It only made $35 million domestically and is definitely not gonna stay at the top of the BO this weekend or next given what's coming out
>>
>>83649385

YES. That's what I wanted to hear. Picking it the fuck up!
>>
>>83647409
Kids who watch the show on Nick probably.
>>
>>83647409
I love TMNT and I've never really been into the 80s show.
>>
>>83643105
>Financially unsuccessful
Literally every movie made never makes a true profit. The amount of paperwork involved to make that money disappear into peoples pockets is unheard of.

There will be more movies after this.
>>
>>83645795

No one will ever give a shit.
>>
>>83643105

Michael Bay fucked up real bad the first time and all the critics they paid off to insult the fans the first time around for calling it bad made it a whole lot worse.
>>
>>83646701

That would make even less money.
>>
>>83646701

This is a franchise for children. It always should have been and will always be.
>>
>>83643105

This isn't under performing because they're trying to be fun. It's under performing because the turtles are ugly. They have to remember to keep it cute and light. This is a children's series. Let Pixar make a turtles movie.
>>
>>83651065
>They have to remember to keep it cute and light. This is a children's series.

Deadline had a good article talking about Out of the Shadow's failure.
>TMNT 2‘s opening is 46% below the 2014 instalment
>After the success of the first TMNT ($493.3M global B.O.), a sequel made perfect business sense for Paramount, particularly given the franchise history. It just feels like this one is same old, same old in its materials and the film itself
>With the TMNT reboot two years ago, Paramount waged a perfectly calibrated campaign to pull in the Gen X and Y demos who grew up with the property. This time around the studio focused on kids. Some rivals attribute the freefall in the sequel’s B.O. to the studio’s switch-up in target demos

By trying to appeal directly to little kids they alienated a good chunk of the general audience. Plus most of the movie was mishandled nostalgia pandering for fans of the 80s show - not kids.

The best TMNT material: the Mirage comics, the 1990 movie, the 2003 series, and the IDW comics is darker than the 80s series. Basing a movie on the 80s series was always going to be a mistake. Doesn't help that everything else in the movie was shit either.
>>
File: 1452824629334.jpg (28 KB, 460x468) Image search: [Google]
1452824629334.jpg
28 KB, 460x468
How was Stephen Amell in it?
I hope good.
>>
>>83651836
Awful. The writing for Casey may have been terrible but his performance only made it worse.

I would feel bad for Amell as it must feel awful to know that you're a worse actor than Megan Fox and maybe the worst actor in the movie but he doesn't deserve the pity.
>>
>>83643105
Probably bring in Dimension X, Tricaratons, and maybe make Baxter the Fly.
Also I'd like to see them split up the turtles to create the drama. They already did the emotional shit in the last one.

Really though, i wish for a tmnt sequel to the 1990 film, a spiritual successor one. Set in modern day but follow it as Shredder is "dead" and the purple dragons rise up. Also go back to the suits and ditch the heavy cgi
>>
>>83647431
A producer can carry a lot of weight. Especially when your work takes in money. Plus there were a lot of shots that seems like he ghost directed them.
>>
>>83652161
>Also go back to the suits and ditch the heavy cgi
This will literally never happen in this day and age. You have to give up on this idea. The only way this will ever happen is if it;s made by an indie studio and/or diehard fans (lol)
You need to accept the CGI. It doesn't look quite terrible, but the overdone and visually unpleasing designs don't help that fact.
I feel like I could accept the all if they just ditched the lips.
>>
>>83649218
Starts off really strong. It starts the waver but it still stays consistent.
Micros aren't too bad. Most of the spin offs are lame though.
>>
>>83643105
Just let it die already. It was never good, you can't make it good no matter what you do with it.
>>
>>83652259
There's always a chance that a passionate director and a willing producer can get the trust of a studio do it. Animatronics are even better now, so I'm guessing a suit version would cost less than a cgi version. Throw in dashes of cgi for certain bits but I could see it working.

Seriously, a Raid like fighting version of TMNT would be awesome.
>>
>>83643105
The 1990 movie already achieved the best possible film adaptation.

Anything else is wasted effort
>>
I liked out of the shadows better than the first one but obviously it still had huge flaws.
>Krang fight way too short, Krang needed to be 50% nastier
>Shredder did literally nothing
>Why put Karai in the movie at all if she's just going to be a mook? This is twice now
>as people have said Casey Jones was bleh, his fights were fine though
>entire police storyline was kind of stupid, especially the "find the footage to exonerate April and Casey" part
I'm looking forward to part 3 if we ever get it. Someone who isn't a TMNT fan probably won't be.
>>
>>83646701
I need source of this? The TMNT are not fine literature but I'll de dammed if the guy that wrote vol.4 is the more talented one, I'm not trying to say Eastman is a genius but ... c'mom
>>
>>83649588
Honestly I really liked the Turtles in Time mini. Ive always enjoyed the Turtles when they just went on zany adventures.
>>
>>83646179

>it's only been out a week!

Box office declines over time, not increases.

This movie is fucked.
>>
File: tmnt.jpg (841 KB, 1650x1275) Image search: [Google]
tmnt.jpg
841 KB, 1650x1275
my dream TMNT movie...

>Directed by Sam Raimi
>Visuals inspired by Sin City
>Designs inspired by original Mirage comics
>Story inspired by original Mirage comics or recent IDW comics
>Practical turtal costumes or well designed mo-cap
>Tone more in line with 1990 movie and original Mirage comics; not R rated, but also not as juvenile as 80s show
>Mary Elizabeth Winstead as April
>Norman Reedus as Casey
>Donnie Yen as Shredder
>>
>>83651738

The best TMNT material is the 2012 series.

This isn't failing because it targets kids. It's failing because no one wants to look at those giant gross turtles anymore. This is a property for children only.
>>
>>83651738

No one likes dark movies. They want fun Marvel movies. Make it all CGI and make the turtles cute. No one but fucking nerds likes the turtles you like. They are trying to sell toys here.
>>
>>83643608
So like the original source material?
>>
>>83651738
>This time around the studio focused on kids. Some rivals attribute the freefall in the sequel’s B.O. to the studio’s switch-up in target demos

So history repeats itself.
>>
>>83643105

Can't you move on to another special interest already?
>>
File: 1457572276260.jpg (21 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
1457572276260.jpg
21 KB, 570x570
It was fun as hell. Well worth $7.50 of you're a TMNT fan with some time to kill. I'm not sure where they can go from having Krang and the Technodrome in this movie to something bigger though. Triceratrons? Cyber Shredder? A war between Dimension X and our world? Ninja Tribunal arc?
>>
File: tumblr_mltocxbtAz1r783xbo1_500.jpg (128 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mltocxbtAz1r783xbo1_500.jpg
128 KB, 500x384
>>83652802
Speaking of time fuckery, Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy everything is pretty good so far.

>>83649588
Def read the villian's micros. Rocksteady and Bebop are the perfect blend of Stupid and Stupid Dangerous, and they actually figure out how to make Krang badass. Boy had to put work in.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.