[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aquaman: Rebirth #1 Lettered Preview + Interview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10
File: Aqua01.jpg (294 KB, 630x969) Image search: [Google]
Aqua01.jpg
294 KB, 630x969
>When Aquaman relaunches as a twice-a-month book in June, Dan Abnett says he'll be applying his experience with cosmic characters like Guardians of the Galaxy, but this time to the ocean — playing with "fantasy, science fiction and horror themes that work particularly well in that environment."

>The DC exclusive writer will also be following up on the wedding proposal readers were shown in DC Universe: Rebirth #1, as well as incorporating a couple former Aqualads into the title. And he promises to bring back Black Manta "bigger and better than ever." And further down the road, Abnett and DC Chief Creative Office Geoff Johns will be working together on "Rise of the Seven Seas," a storyline Johns teased when he was on "New 52"'s Aquaman title.

>Abnett is working with artist Brad Walker on Aquaman, one of three titles he's currently writing for DC (the other two being Titans and Earth 2). And although he's been working on Aquaman for a few months before the Rebirth relaunch, he's making sure this new #1 issue is a great jumping-on point for new readers.

>Newsarama talked with Abnett to find out more about his plans for Aquaman.

>Newsarama: Dan, we just saw a scene in DC Universe: Rebirth #1 where Aquaman got down on one knee to ask Mera to marry him. How does the wedding proposal affect the new Aquaman book?

>Dan Abnett: Well, it's not ignored. It's a fairly major plot point that will come to the fore... especially in the second arc. I guess you could say it's one of the big plot threads going on through the opening run.

>Nrama: We also said a couple former Aqualads in DC Universe: Rebirth #1. Will either of those characters be showing up in Aquaman?

>Abnett: Garth, for sure (and Aquaman in Titans too!). As for the "other" Aqualad (Garth is Tempest now, of course), well mysteries open into mysteries. And one of my goals with the book is to open out and diversify Arthur's supporting cast, both on land and in the sea.
>>
File: Aqua02.jpg (273 KB, 630x968) Image search: [Google]
Aqua02.jpg
273 KB, 630x968
>And he's not just a hero who saves people and does good deeds. He's got this responsibility. He rules Atlantis. He rules a whole nation. He controls the sea, which is two-thirds of the planet. He's the most global hero. Dismiss him, if you like, as a fish-talking guy, but he's incredibly important and he's also much more powerful than people realize.

>So what I'm doing with Aquaman doesn't change much of what Geoff was doing since the beginning of the "New 52" — I think Geoff did a brilliant run on Aquaman and then Jeff Parker after that, and that was something I was picking up on when I took the book over. And of course, we've got the "Rise of the Seven Seas" storyline coming up.

>Nrama: So how would you describe the first storyline, and how it ties into this idea of Aquaman as a character, the one you just described?

>Abnett: With Rebirth, we're starting to really explore that Aquaman has got particularly unusual responsibilities when it comes to being a superhero. He's got a whole nation who depends upon him. He's a man of both dry land and the sea, because his parents come from both places. These two places have constantly been at war. So he's caught in the middle of an ongoing struggle.

>He makes it his quest to redefine his own reputation, to get the world to take him seriously, not just as the guy who talks to fish, or the "other guy" in the Justice League.

>He wants to be taken seriously. And he wants Atlantis to be accepted as a nation of the planet. It just happens to be the one that's under water. He wants to make a really serious effort to connect it.

>We're going to show how difficult it is, how much resistance there is from the surface, how much resistance there is from Atlantis, how incredibly difficult the line is that he has to walk.

>And we'll put some spectacular threats against him.

>Nrama: Rebirth also put a spotlight on Aquaman's relationship with Mera. I assume she'll still be a big part of the book?
>>
File: Aqua03.jpg (310 KB, 630x968) Image search: [Google]
Aqua03.jpg
310 KB, 630x968
>Abnett: Absolutely. She's a huge part of the book. One of the great strengths of Aquaman, I've always felt, is Mera, his beloved. She is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated characters in comics.

>And although it is Aquaman's comic, Mera has an incredibly important role to play. That partnership between them, I just enjoy writing it.

>Nrama: You do sound really excited about the book.

>Abnett: It's such fun. It's been fantastic. Obviously, if DC had said to me, would you like to write Superman or would you like to write Batman or would you like to write Wonder Woman, I would have been delighted. These are iconic characters. But when they said, would you like to write Aquaman, I couldn't have been more pleased, because it's the one I felt I had things to say about.

>I think he plays to my strengths as a writer.

>People do associate me, I think, very much with cosmic superheroes — Legion of Super-Heroes, Guardians of the Galaxy, stuff like that — and although this is not space, it's in the sea, I think it's got a lot of those things in common. It allows me to play with fantasy, science fiction and horror themes that work particularly well in that kind of environment.

>And because it's coming out twice a month, there's a lot of story going on. It's going to become complex and dynastic. There's a lot of intrigue and power playing. I'm not saying it's going as far as Game of Thrones, but it is very much about, how does he keep his nation safe and in control while he's trying to deal with foreign countries, and when he has significant individual enemies?

>Nrama: We saw Black Mantis in the splash page of the Rebirth issue, and on the cover to an upcoming issue. How are you framing him in your run?

>Abnett: Yes. He's sort of the anti-Aquaman. He's actively gunning for Aquaman.

>Black Manta is this wonderful mirror, dark mirror of Aquaman. And his sole purpose is to destroy Aquaman.
>>
File: Aqua04.jpg (266 KB, 630x968) Image search: [Google]
Aqua04.jpg
266 KB, 630x968
>And I want to make Manta not just one of his great villains. Manta previously was a guy who cropped up for six or seven issues every now and then as one of his arch foes. But this is much more.

>Aquaman is the key character in the comic book, but Mera and Black Manta are the other absolute co-stars. If it was a TV show, their faces would be in the credits too, because this is so much about those characters.

>Nrama: The Rebirth mandate for so many of the characters has been to really highlight what's at the core of these characters. It sounds like your first storyline does that not only for Aquaman, but his support cast as well.

>Abnett: That's my intention. The stories about Aquaman that readers seem to like the most are the ones where he's on dry land. They like those stories where Aquaman comes from the sea to dry land, like a fish out of water, so to speak. So there's quite a lot of that. You're going to see him in some unusual situations.

>And also, when I take him to the sea, I want to make Atlantis as fascinating as possible. It's always been depicted pretty well, and it has a nice lore and heritage to it, but I really want to make it a distinctive environment, like Dune or King's Landing or the Klingon homeworld. I want it not to just be a cliche city under the sea. It's going to have its structure and intrigue.

>So I hope that wherever you follow Aquaman in the book, you go somewhere that you find interesting, and you find this new direction interesting.

>Nrama: You're continuing to do Earth 2 along with all this, right?

>Abnett: Yes. It's not strictly speaking part of Rebirth, but I'm continuing to write it. Obviously, it's on a slightly separate stream, although we're doing some very big stories there.

>Nrama: You've done it for a little while. Does it continue?
>>
File: Aqua05.jpg (296 KB, 630x968) Image search: [Google]
Aqua05.jpg
296 KB, 630x968
>Abnett: I took it over on issue #9, where there was a sense that the readers didn't quite like what was going on, and could I do something to sort of revamp it? And the response to that has been tremendous, so I'm buoyed up by the enthusiasm for what I'm doing.

>So although Earth 2, strictly speaking, isn't part of Rebirth, but you know what? I'm trying to inject into it that sense of rejuvenation.

>I was working on it a bit today, and my editor and I have come up with a storyline that I think is not only going to blow people's socks off, but also will put right — I hope — put right some of the things that people thought was not right about Earth 2 as a book.

>I think I've found internal, in-universe story reasons to fix them. So if nothing else, it's going to be exciting.

>Nrama: You found story reasons to bring back the Titans, and now you're finding story reasons to fix Earth 2. You're getting good at that fixing stuff.

>Abnett: It should be on my business card!

Lettered preview sauce: CA
Interview sauce: Nrama, duh!
>>
Looks pretty good. I may have to pick this up alongside Wonder Woman and Titans on Wednesday.
>>
File: Aqua06.jpg (288 KB, 630x968) Image search: [Google]
Aqua06.jpg
288 KB, 630x968
FIN-FIN
>>
>>83461782
>Dat mera

Goddamn it
>>
>all these well-written text boxes

Fuck me. I wasn't going to pull this, but I just might...Goddamn you Abnett.
>>
It's Dan Abnett it's pretty much guaranteed to be solid based on that fact along. After all, he's one half of the team responsible for turning Richard Rider into who he is today.
>>
>>83461753
>128,000 square miles

now i'm no earth scientist but that sounds too low
>>
>>83461971

Wikipedia claims about 140 million square miles.

That's a pretty big fuck-up
>>
Art looks like shit, but I'll try a few issues.
>>
>>83462494
I don't think the guy drawing this Rebirth issue is one of the regular artists
>>
>>83463151
Scot Eaton and Oscar Jimenez are the artists for this Rebirth special, not the regular artists of the ongoing.
>>
Wow this is shockingly well written. Whenever I see giant narration boxes my mind immediately has flashbacks to Bendis's and Snyder's dogshit writing.
>>
>>83463359

Yeah, he can get wordy but unlike Bendis and Spencer, Abnett's written a boat load of novels.
>>
>>83461796
>>I think I've found internal, in-universe story reasons to fix them. So if nothing else, it's going to be exciting.
nice
>>
>literally all of OP's greentext
Based Abnett, this run is going to be so good
>>
>>83463582
Greentext is the interview.
>>
that art is terrible. looks like one of those cheescake comics
>>
>>83461782
>my love, this is Mera
>yeah, I know. It'd be weird if captain Sark started calling me "love"
Look like Abnett is having fun writing.
>>
I knew I was probably going to at least be interested because I'm a fan of Abnett's work, but this interview and preview really sold me. Looking forward to picking it up.
>>
>>83461782
>Aquaman is the key character in the comic book, but Mera and Black Manta are the other absolute co-stars. If it was a TV show, their faces would be in the credits too, because this is so much about those characters.
I like that manta will be taking a larger role I just hope he doesn't overdo it.
>>
>>83467244
I really don't like the new texture on his armor though the fins are bad to but those aren't in frame as often
>>
>>83461694
>open out and diversify Arthur's supporting cast, both on land and in the sea.
My first response to this was that he already has a decent surface supporting cast but then I got into some deeper thought.
To much to write out without a keyboard but I will post this here to remind me to type it out when I get the chance
>>
>>83467424
Hopefully the new cast doesn't include those two women from the last couple of issues
>>
File: Screenshot_20160604-143056.png (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160604-143056.png
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>83467464
You mean these 2
Or something from the embasy he is setting up
>>
>>83467667
Yeah them, I think the blonde was at least kind of a character, but the dark skinned one would not shut up about how gay she was for Mera.
>>
>>83467872
To be fair if I was a gay chick I would be fawning over mera to.

It did get a little over the top though yeah.

Still if they keep that perversion a part of the character rather then just suddenly dropping it it could work out ok
>>
>>83461796
> Mosasaurs an Tylosaurs are alive and well in the DCU
Holy shit am I hyped.
>>
>>83461932
Ditto. I expected a slog, but the detail surprised me.
Hope it pulls a GA and gets me hooked.
>>
File: MofosaurPrev.png (303 KB, 1200x988) Image search: [Google]
MofosaurPrev.png
303 KB, 1200x988
>>83468113
>>83461796
>>
When is Qwsp going to come back?
>>
>>83461753
I'm sure theres a reason the ocean is smaller here then it is on our earth.
>>
>>83461753
>So what I'm doing with Aquaman doesn't change much of what Geoff was doing since the beginning of the "New 52" — I think Geoff did a brilliant run on Aquaman and then Jeff Parker after that, and that was something I was picking up on when I took the book over.
>doesn't even mention Bunn
Based Abnett
>>
This preview and the interview makes it sound good. Did Parker's Aquaman get deep in Atlantean society?
Are there any other letter previews dropped for this week except for this and Tec?
>>
>>83470102
>Are there any other letter previews dropped for this week except for this and Tec?
The Flash.

And "lettered" is more appropriate.
>>
>>83470102
It covered it a little but not as much as it looks like we are getting here.
>>
>>83470129
Yeah, I forgot about Flash. I've read that already.
>>
>>83461694
>"fantasy, science fiction and horror themes that work particularly well in that environment."

IÄ! IÄ! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

Seriously though, this has my interest.
Shame I'll have to trade wait, like with everything else.
>>
>>83470102
>Did Parker's Aquaman get deep in Atlantean society?
Depends on what you consider deep. But it did get into Atlantean society.
>>
>>83461782
>Nrama: You're continuing to do Earth 2 along with all this, right?
>Abnett: Yes. It's not strictly speaking part of Rebirth, but I'm continuing to write it. Obviously, it's on a slightly separate stream, although we're doing some very big stories there.
>Nrama: You've done it for a little while. Does it continue?
>Abnett: I took it over on issue #9, where there was a sense that the readers didn't quite like what was going on, and could I do something to sort of revamp it? And the response to that has been tremendous, so I'm buoyed up by the enthusiasm for what I'm doing.
>So although Earth 2, strictly speaking, isn't part of Rebirth, but you know what? I'm trying to inject into it that sense of rejuvenation.
>I was working on it a bit today, and my editor and I have come up with a storyline that I think is not only going to blow people's socks off, but also will put right — I hope — put right some of the things that people thought was not right about Earth 2 as a book.
>I think I've found internal, in-universe story reasons to fix them. So if nothing else, it's going to be exciting.
>Nrama: You found story reasons to bring back the Titans, and now you're finding story reasons to fix Earth 2. You're getting good at that fixing stuff.
>Abnett: It should be on my business card!

SAVE US BASED ABNETT.
I'm so glad that both Abnett and editorial seemed to acknowledged that people hate the Super/Bat shit on E2. If that means E2:S gets to continue to be fixed while Orlando does E0 JSA I will be extremely happy
>>
>>83470355
>IÄ! IÄ! CTHULHU FHTAGN!
ha that's exactly what I thought when I read that.

I hope there's some crazy atlantean cult that worships dagon deep in the dark waters of the ocean near an underwater volcano that has caused them to mutate into grotesque abominations that are referred to as deep ones.
>>
Rich gang
>>
>>83470001
Even Bunn hated writing that story so...
>>
>>83472440
Bunn literally blamed his editor for making him write the book.
>>
>>83472485
Yeah, I know. Way he said, it was like he was whipped into writing.
>>
>>83461782
>>83461796

What the hell is going on with the art?
>>
>>83472440
I forget what issues did he write
>>
>>83474525
DCYou arc, so... 41-48.
>>
>>83474588
Those weren't that bad but yeah not as good as the other runs.

It may be my memory though I shall reread it tomorow after I get back from the cinema I guess
>>
>>83474764
People panicked that Bunn is breaking up Arthur and Mera and went of hate-spree. Story was dull, desu. Saving grace is Diana being bro to Arthur and him getting Swiss army trident.
>>
>>83472485
Whose editor? The newer assistant editor Amedeo Turturro, or the group editor Brian Cunningham?
>>
>>83469918
>>83461971
>>83461753

Implying getting your silly land measurement system correct matters
>>
>>83475009
Maybe he would have gotten it right if he used superior metric measurements
>>
>And further down the road, Abnett and DC Chief Creative Office Geoff Johns will be working together on "Rise of the Seven Seas," a storyline Johns teased when he was on "New 52"'s Aquaman title.

Does anyone actually believe this will happen?
>>
>>83475504
Aquaman has to deal first with Black Manta and the terorrists though
>>
>>83475504
Yes. I want to see Orm and qt3.14 land MILF gf.
>>
>>83475504
Maybe like 2 years from now when Johns comes back and Aquaman movie is happening
>>
File: 1428931016849.jpg (85 KB, 395x659) Image search: [Google]
1428931016849.jpg
85 KB, 395x659
>>83475561
>Orm
>>
>>83475561
Orm did nothing wrong
>>
Fucking pissed they went back to the orange scales.
The slightly bronze gold looks immeasurably better.
>>
>>83474921
It's largely believed to be Cunningham. He has got a load of horrible ideas (like Hitch on Justice League) and he has the rank/seniority to bully someone like Bunn.
>>
>>83461934
>After all, he's one half of the team responsible for turning Richard Rider into who he is today.
A door?
>>
>>83476192
That was Bendis
>>
>>83475207
>implying Atlantis does have its own arbitary imperial style measurement system
>>
>>83476206
But if it wasn't for DnA's run on Nova, Bendis never would have had to turn Richie into a door.
>>
>>83476175
Yeah, as best I recall Bunn wanted off really quickly and Cunningham persuaded him to stay on and the fit was just not a good one.
>>
>>83476175
>He has got a load of horrible ideas (like Hitch on Justice League
But JLA has been great so far.
>>
>>83476232
Yeah, lets keep all characters from becoming interesting, entertaining and cool because a future author may ruin them after we've become invested.

I'm not joking ;[
>>
>>83476363
It's mediocre and decompressed as fuck
>>
>>83475971
I really don't understand why he dident offer up the advisor guy in orms place to go to the surface jail.

And then his forever evil dident really fit what we knew of his new 52 personality
>>
>>83476370
I was trying to use Bendis logic. When people got pissed at what he did with Starlord and Nova he told everyone to blame DnA for killing them in the first place and that none of what he did was his fault because of them.
>>
>>83476363
The problem is he's slow as fuck, and as a result JLA #9-12 and Annual are shelved for now. Who's preventing that book from having fill-in artists?
>>
>>83476030
It really is a stupid texture on the rebirth costume>>83476207
>>
>>83476207
That would explain it I'm gonna go with this
>>
>>83476282
I think it's also Cunningham who probably took Parker off of Aquaman once Matt Idelson signaled his departure and Aquaman was going to be handed over to Cunningham's department. The whole last issue of Parker's run just felt like a rush job especially since they had just reintroduced his (and Orm's) mom.
>>
>>83475504
Is Johns even needed at this point to make it happen? Pretty sure Abnett can take his notes and run with it.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.