[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John K's personal life and attitude aside, how do you feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: ren-stimpy.jpg (307 KB, 733x500) Image search: [Google]
ren-stimpy.jpg
307 KB, 733x500
John K's personal life and attitude aside, how do you feel about this show and it's adult-oriented spin-off?

Does it hold up to you?
>>
>>83422520
The original show: 8/10 Yeah it does still hold up. The animation was great (specially during the John K era) and the jokes were funny. Its also one of those shows that everyone copies. Everybody does the gross close-ups and reaction faces.
The reboot: Its shit/10 While at times the animation was nice the jokes weren't funny just shocking and edgy it was like Family Guy before Family Guy. Its actually more outdated than the original as the original came out at a time when everybody was trying to outdo South Park in gross out Mature humor.
>>
>>83422708

Isn't Ren and Stimpy older than South Park?
>>
>>83422708
Pretty much what this guy said. I'd say the show is actually better when you are older just because you can really appreciate how fucked up some of the jokes were at the time.
>>
>>83422708
Ren & Stimpy was the first to do the gross out humor. Everything else copied it.
>>
>>83423206
>>83422836
oh maybe he meant to say the reboot was competing with South Park. yeah I guess it was. By the time the reboot came around the concept of an adult animation block wasn't weird. in 1992 it was ridiculous.
>>
>>83422836
>>83423206
Sorry guys I meant to say that the reboot came out around same time South Park had gotten really big. So big that shows like Family Guy that were traditionally more Simpsons-esque in their tone became more crude and violent. There where all kinds of South Park-like shows back then not to mention the insane amount of Adult Swim rip-offs like G4's midnight spank. Things have changed oddly enough. The more beloved adult show brae the less edgy ones like Rick and Morty and specially Bob's Burgers. Meanwhile everyone rightfully hates shit like Brickleberry.
>>
>>83423355
>Things have changed
well..Family Guy is hella popular. just not here. Although American Dad gets a pass here despite being full of violence and shock. (I never thought it was THAT much better written than Family Guy.)
>>
>>83422520
The original series greatest thing to ever air on Nickelodeon, followed by the first 3 seasons of Spongebob and Avatar

The adult party cartoon is overhated but makes me wish the original show stayed on MTV so they had more creative freedom to make jokes as raunchy as they ones from the adult shwo
>>
>>83423476
>I never thought it was THAT much better written than Family Guy.)
Its had its really good moments. And Family Guy seems mostly popular with the Frat boys and prepubescent audience.
>>
>>83423476
also South Park itself is still very popular. people like to pretend the philosophy and politics offsets all the shock humor that's still a major part of it.
>>
>>83423206
Yeah, it's basically the first mainstream kids cartoon to do gross-out humor. Naturally, it led to 1001 copycats - some good (2 Stupid Dogs, Cow 'n' Chicken) but most bad (Mega Babies).
>>
I'd like to add that Bob Camp did literally nothing wrong. John K. got what was coming to him.
>>
>>83423610
I feel like South Park is more respected, and comedy is better. FG just shows mindless violence.
>>
>>83423617
not just gross out humor but any humor at all, it seems. before that tv animation was all about toy lines and edutainment.
>>
File: JohnKricfalusi.jpg (88 KB, 910x808) Image search: [Google]
JohnKricfalusi.jpg
88 KB, 910x808
>that time John K. sent anonymous death threats to Games Animation personnel
>that time John K. sent anonymous bomb threats to Nickelodeon Studios offices

what a wacky guy :^)
>>
>>83423659
I dont blame John K for feeling the way he did. It was his show. Also the quality of the show's animation and humor went way down during the games animation era. Also this little gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5Yxg351lo
>>
>>83422520
Garbage
>>
>>83423890
Source? No seriously I love juice animation insider tales. They are hilarious: http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Interviews/Cole/Cole_Interview.html
>>
Season 1 was god tier.
Season 2 wasn't as good but still brilliant.
The rest of the original series had some good episodes but most of those seasons were meh.
Adult Party Cartoon had one okay episode and the rest of it was shit.
>>
>>83424087
On the subject of Corny Cole, he did the illustrations to this book I found at a thrift store. The title escapes me at the moment though...
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (247 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
247 KB, 1600x1200
>>83424370
And here it is. It was to sappy for my liking, but the cartoons looked good.
>>
>>83424544

Corny was based. He even had the balls to tell off Chuck Jones. He worked on Disney, Looney Tunes, TMS's Little Nemo and Heavy Metal to boost.
>>
>>83424807
>Heavy Metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miar5eKG4uY
>>
>>83423728
Well there's stuff like Tiny Toons and Animaniacs (both of which John K actually hated).
>>
>>83422520
no
>>
>>83422520
Started re watching some episodes after a previous /co thread. Yup it's even better now than it was then. When I was 7 rubber nipples just weren't even confusing. I didn't see anything wrong with selling rubber nipples, never even occurred to me to question it.
The allergies gag and Ren's epiphany that rage is what makes him happy, none of this was appreciable to me as a child. Now it's all gold and the grotesquery of it is even better.
>>
File: 1458786524661.jpg (49 KB, 536x573) Image search: [Google]
1458786524661.jpg
49 KB, 536x573
>>83429316
>When I was 7 rubber nipples just weren't even confusing. I didn't see anything wrong with selling rubber nipples
Almost 30 years later and I still think I'm missing something.
>>
>>83429316
There might have been rubber nipple salesman at one point, for baby bottles? Sounds almost real.
>>
>>83423728
Shows like Rugrats and Doug debuted around the same time, you know. In the same block, even.
Not to mention all the stuff Hanna Barbera had been doing, you know, since the 60's.
>>
>>83430826
>hanna barbera
>funny
>>
File: 1454302433538.jpg (15 KB, 323x331) Image search: [Google]
1454302433538.jpg
15 KB, 323x331
>>83430923
touche.
>>
>>83423890

Just pranks bro
>>
>that time John K. spiked Bob Camp's beer with rat poison
>that time John K. cut the brake lines on Vanessa Coffey's car

what a wacky guy :^)
>>
>>83422520
I'm gonna be fair

The episodes tend to be "shit pants funny" because of the writing and the VA's, not "only" the animation and the "fuck parents LOL".

The animation matchs as a glove, but is not really the main reason of the success. This is what K missed. This is what most of the peple who tried to copy this missed. The show was Random and stupid, not shock-value and bouncing shit, as the adult version.

Is "The dirty jokes have to work with the show", not "The show have to work "for" the dirty jokes".
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.