[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You mean to tell me that people have been bending for untold
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 11Metalbending.jpg (35 KB, 786x600) Image search: [Google]
11Metalbending.jpg
35 KB, 786x600
You mean to tell me that people have been bending for untold centuries and not a single earthbender ever made the connection that metals came from the earth and could be manipulated until Toph just kind of worked it out and figured "hey, I might actually could bend this?"
>>
>>77580204
>You mean to tell me that people had been dying around shit and garbage for untold centuries and not a person ever made the connection that refuse carries disease and though "hey, maybe we should clean this up?"
>>
>>77580204
nevermind that, metal and rock often work opposite in elemental shit.. after all, metal conducts heat and electricity like mad, rock doesn't.. water and ice and plantmatter can erode rock but bounce right off of metal. rock crumbles, metal dents, etc
what bugs me is the retcon where instead of toph simply realizing earth was earth, and acclimatizing her to different earth mana as metal, that metalbenders were simply moving the mineral impurities IN metal. that makes no fucking goddamn sense, it woudl mean you could bend a person apart by grabbing their trace minerals.. it would logically make a metalbender 1000 times stronger when bending PROPER earth instead of mere impurities..
They didn't even NEED it for plot purposes, they could have simply said heavy metals like gold, lead, and platinum were too dense and heavy to bend easily.
>>
>>77580266
jews did
>>
>>77580266
>This kills the thread

>>77580298
No one has ever liked the Jews. Read a History book.
>>
>>77580204
Well, the show has an Asian theme running through it, and in the Classical Elements for the East metal is considered its own element.
>>
>>77580277

The thing I never got about earthbending is that, aside from Toph and the later metalbenders, it was always just rocks and dirt. A lot of times when you see the earth element used in fiction, it often includes plants as well.

Though considering the whole Eastern thing, I think that falls under something else, which is why you had the whole swamp waterbender vine thing.
>>
She didn't just make a mental connection, her insanely honed tremorsense gave her a physical edge in actually putting the theory in practice. Normally even a grandmaster earthbender wouldn't have over a decade of experience CONSTANTLY using tremorsense. Someone like Bumi would have been able to figure out metalbending eventually if he wore a blindfold for 12 years. But no one with earthbending talent did that before Toph.

At least that's how it made sense in the original series. Korra shits on everything and lets any two-bit retard metalbend with no special training. Just pretend only the original series is canon.
>>
File: 8542376.jpg (8 KB, 262x193) Image search: [Google]
8542376.jpg
8 KB, 262x193
>>77580266
>At some point in time, a man stuck his penis inside a woman's vagina long enough to cum inside and nine months later a small human being was pushed through her vagina.
>>
>>77580333
yeah because they cleaned up their garbage and shit. nobody likes a danny tanner
and then they didnt get the plague when everyone else was getting it, so it was like wtf hax
>>
>>77580375
weirdly wood also often gets it own element separate from earth. having wood, earth, and metal in the same 5-element system is fuckin weird to me. you have now left no room for air, water, and fire, which are MINIMUM requirements.
but usually they just leave out air.
>>
>>77580407
what bugged me is they made it float
by all means move it, but it should have to move tectonically. just like water has to flow and swirl in the natural ways water flows.. except once in a while when they make it fucking hover like ice daggers
>>
>>77580493
At some point in time, someone thought maybe the rumbling in their stomach was because they needed to shove parts of dead things in it
>>
>>77580407
Earth as element of plants is way too overused desu.
>>
>>77580204
How long had people even had significant amounts of metal that one would be inclined to bend in the Avatar setting?

It seemed like the Earth Kingdom houses were mostly made of stone, as were the Airbender temples. The water tribes lived in ice huts and hunted with what appeared to be wood and bone weapons. The fire nation was the only one using and large quantities of metal.

It isn't unthinkable that Toph was born in one of the first generations of earthbenders that actually had any need to try and bend metal.

So the question becomes less "people have been earthbending forever and only now figured out how to bend metal?" and more "Really, it only took one savant child three generations in to figure out that earthbenders can bend metal?"
>>
>>77580266
That's a ridiculous comparison.
>>
>>77580204
Well, yes.

She's one of the most talented earth benders in existence, and since she can sense the earth inside the metal, she realized she may be able to bend it.
>>
>>77580424
You know I wasn't even tripping about lots of Fire Benders learning to Lightningbend... But everyone Metal Bending like it was nothing was just annoying. Then Bolin just magically starts Lava Bending for fucks sake...
>>
>>77580493
>>77582438
That stuff is hardwired in. Plus we could always use animals as reference.
>>
>>77580493
You joke, but there are whole groups of people in the world that had to have the connection between fucking and having children pointed out to them because they'd never made that connection.
>>
File: CavemanHunting-1160x683[1].jpg (260 KB, 1160x683) Image search: [Google]
CavemanHunting-1160x683[1].jpg
260 KB, 1160x683
>>77580493
>>77582438
>>77583736

If we want to get into this one of the major turning points in human history is when primitive man discovered that sex actually made babies.

You're NOT hardwired to know that sex makes babies; we're only hardwired to want to have sex and some very limited instinctual responses to children like lactation, breastfeeding and being unsympathetic to children that don't look like you.

But, no, seriously- when we were unga bunga Cavemen we had no idea that sex had anything to do with babies until we started herding animals and tending livestock.
For thousands of years we fully believed babies just occasionally fell out of women.
>>
>>77580266
You mean to tell me that people have been living in feces for untold centuries and not a person ever made the connection to PUT THE POO, IN THE LOO?
>>
>>77583850
there are not. there is ONE couple in germany, and no proof that they were serious
>>
>>77583859
listen to this claptrap. since the beginning of time people have known that every kind of living thing begets more of its own, plant or animal. they understood the concept of seed and of rebirth.
yes there are retarded people in the dark ages who think stupid shit like flies come out of dung or geese come out of clams, but they were always the minority. Just like how tribal-ass unga bunga sorts in africa and south america were struggling with concepts we considered basic while we had shit under control, when us white folk were smashing rocks together, the chinese were making bombs, and while THEY were still figuring out paper, the middle east was incredibly advanced and absolutely understood the basics of life.
>>
>>77580204
Metal CAN'T be manipulated, impurities in metal can. So steel can be bent by bending the carbon in the alloy, for example - pure metals can't be bent as seen with pure platinum mecha tanks in Korra, as metalbenders are useless against them.

Now, in addition to the above, consider this - bloodbending is an extremely hard art even though humans are 80% water. There is about 2% coal in steel. Imagine how fucking hard must be bending solid metal just by manipulating these fragments of coal, you'd need to exert extreme force on them. Maybe people have tried it before, but Toph, who is an extraordinary earthbending master, was simply the first person to succeed.
>>
>>77586376
No, retard. I am charitably assuming that you believe in evolution. Humans had to at some point been ignorant of the connection between sex and reproduction. This is a logical fact. Unless you think chimps know sex makes babies?

Given that there is no intuitive connectiob between sex and reproduction, it is completely believable that even modern humans in isolated primitive cultures might not make the connection. Take your noble savage mysticism and shove it up your ignorant ass.>>77586376
>>
>>77590826
>Humans had to at some point been ignorant of the connection between sex and reproduction. This is a logical fact.
No, that's a stupid fucking assumption and you should never ever speak of it to anyone outside of this thread or you will be branded an utter moron.
>>
>>77580424
This. Plus the comics made it pretty clear that metal bending is VERY difficult to learn for the average bender. Hell, LoK makes this clear too what with Bolin being unable to do it.

It was never implied to be a simple case of "oh wow why didn't we do this all along?" but more a case of Toph doing it because she's motherfucking Toph.
>>
>>77590842
Not the guy you were arguing with but it makes sense. I mean did you automatically know that having sex and babies were related, or did someone have to tell you?

Unless you instinctivly know they are related then there would have to be a time when people didnt know.
>>
You mean to tell me Tuna has been around for untold centuries and until recently people stopped serving it exclusively as cat foot and now they sell for thousands per fish
>>
>>77590938
It's called instinct.
>>
>>77590938
Some stuff is just natural, like eating. You just feels like you need to put stuff in your mouth.
>>
>>77591159
>>77591172
Instinct isn't knowledge, dumbass. You don't instinctively know that having sex leads to pregnancy. All you instinctively know is that sex is good and you wanna do it.

Now imagine primitive society - people have sex, because of instinct. Women have babies. Not every time you have sex leads to a pregnancy - in fact, even unprotected, most times the girl won't get pregnant.

I'm not saying primitive people DIDN'T know the connection, but it's not even close to as far-fetched as you think it is.
>>
>>77591172
>>77591159
hes saying its natural to want sex, it just took time for brainpower to get high enough to notice the connection between fucking a female and them popping out a kid
>>
>>77580424
Not just that, but Korra went on to imply that you're either a Metalbender or you aren't. The whole Bolin lavabending thing I saw coming from a mile away and while I was happy at the time because it meant Bolin might get more important (he didn't), when we see Toph metalbend for the first time it's because she's seeing shit no one's ever really seen before, doing shit no one's ever tried. Bolin just kinda went "oop oh wow I'm a lavabender neato"
>>
>>77580204
Toph is unique for several reasons:
1. Her raw talent is off the scale
2. She's probably the most dedicated to being the best bender out of the whole cast - most of them have other priorities, but what gets her blood boiling is anyone threatening her position as the greatest earthbender who ever lived
3. She learned from the original earthbenders - Badgermoles
4. She's blind and gets literally many times as much practice using earthbending than anyone else. Regular earthbenders don't use earthbending to know where they're going, to cool their meals, to find their bed, to know which way to face when talking to people, etc. She uses earthbending non-stop.
5. How many other people in history do you think have been put in the same position she was in when she metalbent for the first time? You think a large chunk of the population have been encased in metal and threatened to have their freedom taken away forever?
>>
>>77591196
The fact is, people didn't need to find out how to make sex, so it's a poor comparison. Toph suddenly find out how to metalbend, but people always knew how to have sex so you can't compare them. Simply trying to compare 'knowledge' is no good either, as OP is trying to do, because bending is much more than that. You don't need some kind of theory or experience to use a power within you. The real question is why no one used it before considering how easy metalbend is (toph and her students figure it out in a day. Korra did too).
>>
>>77591423
I'm not going to defend the retardation of the comics or Korra. But >>77591349 is the explanation for how Toph learned. If that's insufficient for you, then I think your standards are way too high and you're expecting Breaking Bad tier realism from a fantasy action cartoon.
>>
File: fishingforswallows.jpg (27 KB, 300x190) Image search: [Google]
fishingforswallows.jpg
27 KB, 300x190
Up until like the 18th century people used to believe that bird turn to fish during the winter.
People actually opposed the theory that they migrate somewhere when winter comes.
When people started seriously researching the subject and tied waxed red strings to birds and found them in other continents, only then did it finally clear up that they don't turn to fish.

Pic related is a drawing from year 1555 where they're fishing for Swallows.

People not realizing that metals are from earth is tame compared to that level of stupidity.
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 800x600
>>77580493
>it took several tries until man had a baby that didn't die promptly as it was born, eaten, forgotten, or just left there to die etc etc
>>
>>77590842
People used to think rats and flies were born from garbage. It's entirely possible people took a while to make the connection.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.