[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To those of you with a preference, what is it about one of these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58
File: DC-vs-Marvel.jpg (39 KB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
DC-vs-Marvel.jpg
39 KB, 620x320
To those of you with a preference, what is it about one of these that you prefer to the other? Some certain characters you're attached to no matter what? A comic, cartoon, movie, or video game they once released?
A current ongoing series? Overall editorial policy, past or present?
>>
>>83228051
I had way more DC exposure than Marvel as a child, but I like characters from both. I just know more DC characters and enjoy more DC media
>>
I think the lack of a lot of good cartoons based on Marvel stuff while I was growing up was a pretty big impact. Compared to the DCAU and Teen Titans, Marvel's animated stuff was pretty lacking in comparison, and I honestly think it still is.

So I just ended up more interested in DC's characters because I had more exposure to them. Then The Dark Knight came out, and that encouraged me to start picking up the collected editions of comics instead of randomly buying a single issue every once in a while. Checked out a bunch of the more well-regarded Batman stories, read Watchmen because the trailer before Dark Knight interested me, and then just branched out from there.

I've read a decent amount of Marvel stuff, but I still feel like DC has published more stuff I care about overall.
>>
Marvel was just better. No multiverse shit, no reboots every ten years and relatable characters. These days however, Marvel is straight up shit with all their SJW pandering and shitting all over characters. Shit made me quit reading comics all together.
>>
>>83228512
>Shit made me quit reading comics all together.
Have you given indies/self-published any thought?
>>
>>83228553
There are a few things I may check out, but most of what I see doesn't interest me.
>>
>>83228582
Fair enough, it's all subjective.
>>
>>83228051
DC comics, except for those dark five years of the Nu52, feels more respectful to their fans and has a more emotionally meaningful tone in their stories to me, while Marvel feels like they just cynically churn out controversies for attention.

The movies, on the other hand, feel the exact opposite.

DC has also dominated cartoons on a pure quality level outside of Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: EMH.
>>
I preferred DC as a kid because I enjoyed the Batman cartoon and didn't give much of a fuck about the X-Men. I never really liked the movies until the Dark Knight trilogy. Then the comics started drastically changing characters and storylines and I got annoyed and switched over to Marvel. I guess I generally prefer the Marvel heroes, but the DC villains.
>>
I really dislike Marvel's soap opera bullshit, so there's that. DC also has a kinda more classic approach to superheroes, so there's that too.
>>
>>83228657
>Avengers: EMH

The second season of that show frustrated the hell out of me, but at least it gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81sSBNroDvA
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 236x256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 236x256
I like Superman and Green Lantern For characters
Otherwise I follow artists/writers I enjoy or if a story sounds cool.

So I guess I'm a DC fan . I like marvel too. Growing up it seemed like only Marvel fans were "yeah marvel...DC sucks" where as DC fans would read marvel too.

(Now thanks to Internet it's nonstop company wars on both sides)
>>
I started reading 'mature' comics (Vertigo and shit) because my country didn't had a huge exposure to capeshit until some years ago and I didn't found regular capeshit to be interesting enough.
While Marvel has more creative characters, I am more attached to DC because of the Vertigo stuff and the recent cosmology they are developing.
Marvel is a fucking mess where every 5 years they recicle another storyline to sell more shit.

I prefer Valiant btw
>>
>>83228051
>To those of you with a preference, what is it about one of these that you prefer to the other?
The one I like is more mature and has better stories and the one I don't is for kids and the stories suck.
>>
File: shrug.png (46 KB, 499x327) Image search: [Google]
shrug.png
46 KB, 499x327
>>83228051
DC. Less politics, more entertainment.

I'll enjoy a Marvel run every now and again, but I think that's typical for primarily DC fans; DC fans enjoy comics, Marvel fans enjoy Marvel.
>>
The old Justice League and TT cartoons really got me into DC's characters as a kid, while Marvel didn't have any similar offerings. I've never really formed a similar attachment to any Marvel characters since then.

Plus, Batman and Superman just feel so much more iconically heroic than any Marvel character, even Spider-Man.
>>
Why read either? It's all the same shit but with different costumes
Vertigo and Icon/Epic are cool though
>>
>>83228051
DC doesn't pander to the movies
>>
>>83228051
My mother bought me a Marvel subscription when i was a kid and also a Disney comics subscription because P O T T E R Y, so i grew up reading their universe, mostly Spider-Man and X-Men, which were my favorites.

During my teenage years i did buy the occasional Batman or Superman issue, but didn't really care about what was going on. It wasn't until the BTAS and STAS that i started to become interested in the DC universe, but still didn't buy their comics regularly.

The "One Year Later" stunt created a somewhat good jumping point, and that was when i began to follow Batman and Superman monthly, with some Aquaman between.

I guess i have to internet to thank for making me really dwell into the DC universe, getting recommendations for Green Lantern, old Batman and Superman stuff, along with tons of other good shit.

Overall i would say Marvel is still the one i like the most, as it was the one that showed me the joy of comics in the first place. But even though i own a mountain of Marvel floppies, my hardcover collection is almost entirely made of DC.
>>
>>83228051
Marvel. I'm generally a street level person and Marvel is consistently better than DC in that respect.
Plus, none of their characters ever really caught on with me much besides the Question
>>
>>83228909
Only because their movies are shit
>>
>>83228051

I grew up watching the DCAU, but even when I started reading comics, I was drawn more to the DCU as a whole, I like its sense of legacy and history better.

I like characters from both, I've just never really been as invested in Marvel's history or teams or cosmology in the same way as I am with DC's.
>>
Grew up watching super heroes on TV and film, then when I got older and had the cash to buy comics I started with the older audience stuff and branched out to the characters I knew and eventually to the writers I liked, who hadn't done as much for the other guys and I didn't really want to go back to square one.
>>
I read and enjoy both desu. Although the only marvel books Ive found myself picking up in last 5 years or so have been goldem and silver age cosmic material. A couple spidey trades and Ive also read a few of the new events (stopped after Fear Itself for obvious reasons). But everything else I have no interest in anymore. Every character seems to one major trait or emotion they convey and thats it. Theres no soul to any of it, it all feels so empty and like its all a cash grab. As of late Ive been reading a bunch of silver/gold age DC and Geoff Johns run of GL. Cheers.

>also do marvel fans actually enjoy this garbage theyve been putting out lately? Superior spidey and Fractions Hawkeye aside its laughable
>>
>>83229372
Marvel fan here. I don't. I seriously expected a reboot after Secret Wars, and instead i got a pile of shit.
>>
>>83229372
I like Carnage and Ms. Marvel, but I'm also not that harsh of a critic with comics.
>>
The thing is, I WANT to like Marvel. But the Disney influence and the overall pettiness is a huge turnoff.

Plus, Marvel just seems a bit..reactionary to DC. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing: reacting to DC's missteps is smart as hell. But it kind of just seems like Marvel is coasting by, waiting to hear along the grapevine that DC is fucking up, and *then* they'll plan/announce their next big thing, too.

I'm not too attached to DC, either. I mean, for all intents and purposes, I'm a DC fanboy, but in all honesty, I'm just interested in stories about superheroes, especially when there's history and influence behind them. DC has that but with less of Marvel's bullshit.
>>
>>83229467
>>83229572
I guess theyre bringing back Marvel Now! and will continue using ANAD. Maybe theyll launch a more traditonal brand, canon or not, to appeal to the loyal readers. Maybe stories with more depth or charcter studies of their icons instead of >woah guys hulks asain!!!and caps uhh naziLoL!
>>
>>83228750
Y'know, I didn't even think the "Cap, Thor, and Tony get depowered" episode was even that bad, it's just that the bar for normal was so high.
>>
DC. They're just publishing better comics.

Marvel to me is the silver age and maybe a bit of the bronze age and nothing else.

Their modern age is kind of trash. It's exactly like >>83229372 said. Nearly all of it just feels soulless and empty to me. It's like most of the standalone titles are just meaningless filler until they can do their big event.
>>
>>83229884

The depowered episode was the worst thing I had ever watched. The worst part about it was Man of Action used it to add to the fucking Surtur plot despite pretty much knowing Assemble was coming.
>>
>>83229372
I don't really keep terribly up to date with Marvel (or DC, really) but Nighthawk #1 was pretty damn good.
>>
>>83228051
DC because they actually have superheroes doing super things
>>
When I first got into comics like eight years ago I was all about DC because of the DCAU. As I got more and more into comics though I started to prefer Marvel. Particularly their older 70's stuff.

All in all I'd have to go with Fanta.
>>
>>83228051
Above all, I enjoy all good comics, regardless of which company publishes them.

But in terms of attachment/overall lore and feel I'm quite fond of the 1986-2006 DC. I love the intrinsecally mythological and larger than life aspect of their characters, but what I particularly loved about the DCU and I thought gave it an edge over Marvel for me was the legacy aspect and that sense of a comradery between the heroes, the bonds built through friendships and histories, things that thankfully are going to be restored in Rebirth.
>>
File: Jet pls.gif (330 KB, 370x200) Image search: [Google]
Jet pls.gif
330 KB, 370x200
>>83230189
>I enjoy all good comics, regardless of which company publishes them
How people can hold opinions on the subject other than this is beyond me.
>>
>films
Marvel

>comics
DC
>>
File: 1455160516022.png (888 KB, 632x605) Image search: [Google]
1455160516022.png
888 KB, 632x605
>>83230337
FUCK OFF NORMIE
>>
I like both, but prefer DC only slightly.
Not really sure why, I just think DC has better writers and it has Vertigo
>>
Marvel, I grew up watching Spider-Man X-Men and Batman the Animated series, but when I started actually getting into western comics as I got older I found Marvel to be far more accessible to me, and even more so when I had a Marvel Unlimited account, I really wish DC had something like that. Now, while it's true that I do like and collect comics from both compinies my shelf has more Marvel on it than it does DC.
>>
>>83228909
Look at the line up and character designs for the upcoming Suicide Squad book and say that again.
>>
I've dropped them both.

I dropped DC when they pulled the Nu52 bullshit, though I finished Morrison's Batman run since that was basically pre-Nu52.

Marvel was going down in quality and I was getting disgusted by the constant events and relaunches but they still had some good stuff. Then they unbelievably fucked up Secret Wars and did their own not-a-reboot-but-reboot, and so I dropped Marvel after SW ended.

I read old stuff from both of them now, and a good bit of Image/indie books.
>>
>>83228051
i've been reading comics since early 80s. i like DC characters more than i like Marvel's. nothing about Marvel ever really interested me.
>>
>>83228051
DC has on average superior stories, and their individual characters get developed more. Plus they have stuff like Vertigo that adds a huge amount of variety to their universe.

I don't care for the hero vs hero shit Marvel does, and their heroes tend to only run on events rather than actual plots. There's no real supporting casts outside of other superheroes, but nobody ever actually feels like they have a relationship.

Marvel just feels like a bunch of action figures with some vauge scifi stories, but DC is built on big ideas with character-driven story arcs.
>>
>>83230005
I appreciate hyperbole as much as the next guy, but nothing bad even happens in the episode, it's just bland.
>>
>>83228784
I'm generally a DC only guy, but it's not that I chose that. Marvel just has very little that I find worthwhile.

I like some X-men, but X-men has been a roller coaster of quality for years and there's very little to like nowadays. The heydey of 90s X-men was schlocky in the best ways, and Morrison's run is an alright reimagining of the property. Squadron Supreme and Miracleman are good, But they're really the only good standalone Marvel stuff. I like some FF stuff but they've been cast aside too. There's a couple books like Druid and Hellstorm that were really good, and Darkhold was fun. I guess The Headmen are good too? But that's about the extent of what I like from them. Spider-man was never appealing to me, and stuff like Punisher and Daredevil are eyerolling.

There's a lot of issues I have with Marvel's story structures and the way it tells stories. The universe just feels tiny and underdeveloped. Plus Marvel in general has some middling to terrible villains, and they substitute other heroes for them, which makes every hero out to be an evil dickhead.
>>
>>83228051
just some certain characters from both sides
>>
>>83228051
DC all the way. I don't give a shit about cape movies and that's all Marvel has that's worth a damn it seems. I don't know what it is about them but no matter how hard I try I can't get into their comics. Don't know if its just me but I feel like there is a lack of "soul" in their comics.
>>
>>83228512
I've noticed that there's a really common phenomena where Marvel-only people get burned by Marvel, then stop reading comics completely. That's why there's a lot of people who hate superheroes who claim to have read comics in the past, and almost without fail they've read Marvel exclusively.

When a typical DC fan hates Marvel, it tends to be because of their lack of quality books or their business practices (which resulted in an industry crash at one point.) When a Marvel fan hates DC it tends to be posturing and spite.
>>
>>83233136
>The universe just feels tiny and underdeveloped

Funny, as a DCfag I was terribly surprised when I found how big the Marvel universe actually is. It literally has corners I've never heard about. The Fantastic Four story is big as fuck. Street level DC is only Batman whereas Marvel has Daredevil, Punisher, Spider-Man, Jessica Jones, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, etc. The mystical shit with Doctor Strange, Ghost Rider, Blade, etc. Then the Avengers stuff, X-Men that could be its own universe with how fucking big it is. The cosmic stuff that is also quite big with Nova, Quasar, the Thanos stuff, Silver Surfer, the Guardians of the Galaxy. The spy stuff with SHIELD and Captain America. Marvel horror. And a fuckton of smaller teams and characters I'm sure I'm forgetting about.
>>
>>83233658
I was forgetting all the Asgard stuff with Thor, holy shit.
>>
grew up a Marvel kid, but I always thought Green Lantern was cool, and Cyborg Superman, also S:tAS > B:tAS
>>
I guess DC right now since I'm only reading their shit and catching up with New52. Overall I dunno maybe Marvel? Cosmic Marvel is probably my favorite thing to come out of the Big 2 ever.
>>
File: Damien (2).jpg (130 KB, 666x1024) Image search: [Google]
Damien (2).jpg
130 KB, 666x1024
DC has a phenomenally more interesting mythos and legacy, with the characters and soul to back it up.

New 52 shat the bed, and I quit reading for a bit, but Rebirth has me hyped.

Marvel, I tried so hard to get into. I liked Spidey and X-Men for a while, but ehh. And modern Marvel, well, it's completely cucked, no denying it.

And even during those dark New 52 years, Injustice kept me following DC in a way. Marvel just has an incredibly mediocre and overrated movie franchise that is very quickly becoming stale.

So yeah, I guess I am heavily DC leaned. Just don't see the appeal of modern Marvel at all, I've pretty much completely dropped it.
>>
DC is just more grounded in super heroics to me. Capes, domino masks, wonder briefs, leotards, onsies. DC is just really unified in that respect. Where as Marvel is all over the place with tech armor, chain mail, helmets and sometimes no costumes at all. Is there a single marvel character that actually wears a domino mask?
>>
>>83233935
New 52 had some really excellent books. The loss of history was bad, but there was definitely a lot of good in there.
>>
>>83233658
>street level DC is only Batman

are you stupid
>>
>>83234142
The only things I remember reading and loving was Forever Evil and Dial H.

Every single other comic I read in the New 52 was:

>Woah, this looks like it's going to get really good!
>Nevermind.
>>
>>83234199
Swamp Thing, Animal Man, and Wonder Woman are all good starts.
>>
>>83234067
>Capes, domino masks, wonder briefs, leotards, onsies. DC is just really unified in that respect. Where as Marvel is all over the place with tech armor, chain mail, helmets and sometimes no costumes at all.

Why does the type of costume they use matter? Why does it have to be unified? I'm just asking not trying to start shit because the way I look at is Marvel has heroes from all walks of life poor kids, billionares, gods, etc so it makes sense to not be uniform across the board.
>>
As a DCfag, I don't hate Marvel altogether, there's plenty of old stuff that I should get around to reading, I've got a copy of What If- "Dr.Doom was a Hero?" and its one of my favorite purchases.
But I hate the way they are now. Not just the SJW shit, but the "Anger fans sells comics" policy they're so fond of, and how so much of their shit is "Heroes" VS "Heroes". I mean Civil War /2/? Fucking really?

What got me started on DC was seeing parts of John's GL run, specifically Green Lantern War, when they all had to grab non green rings.
Having mostly been reading manga at the time, it was like an orgasm of color before my eyes.
Then when I learned about the New 52, I figured that would be a good time to start, but didn't really dive in until I learned about Multiversity, and how the multiverse, something I'd always been a fan of, was back in force with structure and detail. Then I learned about the Hypercrisis and how everything could be interconnected.
Right now I'm getting into some of the Magic stuff with Gaiman's Books of Magic and The Power of Shazam!.
>>
>>83234231
I'll keep those in mind if I ever feel like going back and reading some New 52. Thanks anon.
>>
I started out as an X-men fan and slowly dropped them and reading more and more DC.

I was a huge DCfan for years. I really love the legacy aspect of the DC. I loved the history of all of the character. So iit's no wonder why I pretty much dropped everything when nu52 started. Now I read mostly indies and image now.
>>
>>83234309
New 52 didn't hit it's stride until about the time of Forever Evil anyway.
Snyder's Batman run is overrated, but it's still good. Jim Gordon as Batman was really interesting, but it was better in Detective Comics, with Bullock working with him a lot.
>>
>>83233136
>Spider-man was never appealing to me, and stuff like Punisher and Daredevil are eyerolling
I hope you die a horrible death
>>
>>83234334
>I really love the legacy aspect of the DC. I loved the history of all of the characters.
They've realized how retarded New 52 was, so they're working all that good shit back in.
Kent Nelson was in the latest issue of Dr. Fate and Johnny Thunder was in Rebirth talking to Wally, who's back now.

Give it another try.
>>
>>83234067
This is always jacked up to me

DC's icons are made by probably like a dozen guys without any intention of linking everything together and it goes great
Marvel is basically just two(one) New York jew(s) trying to make a setting and yeah it's very disjointed
>>
>>83234309
You should definitely read Omega Men, too. It's only 12 issues. Oh, and Demon Knights and All-Star Western.
>>
If I love Cosmic Marvel what should I read of DC's?
>>
I've bandied back and forth over the years.

Honestly, they're not all that different.

They both pander to trends and sects of the population in an attempt to stay relevant. They both eventually realize that good storytelling is what matters, if only for a little while. Pandering eventually peters out when the next trend comes alone, or the people who came for the pandering itself realize there's nothing to keep them for the long haul.

Company wars is deliberate fostering of an "us vs them" mentality, because the market isn't what it used to be and most people can't afford to buy everything both companies put out. So people get convinced they're "fighting" for their company, when in fact they're being used by said company. We ARE the shills, and we refuse to acknowledge it.
>>
>>83234745
Some pretty reductive and objectively false statements fampai.
>>
Growing up with Asian media (Ultraman, Monkey King, etc.), I have more fun with omnipotent characters that spend less time introspecting about themselves than spend time in story punching things. As a result I prefer DC over Marvel.
Overall I feel like heroes in DC has more fun power sets to play with than Marvel.
>>
>>83234745

>cont

Also, status quo will ALWAYS reign supreme in both comparnies, because people inherently are opposed to change. It's in our genes. New is exciting, but scary to us.

Both companies are also afflicted with horrendous egos. Every writer thinks he's the next big genius, when in fact all they're doing these days is recycling older stories the companies have already done.
>>
>>83234699
Legion of Superheroes, maybe?
For the last ten years, it's mostly been dominated by Green Lantern after Geoff Johns started his run, which you should read too.
The cosmic has been pretty weak since then, so you'd be best reading old stuff and keeping your ear to the ground.
Maybe Adam Strange too.
>>
>>83234745
>Budweiser and Microbrews are not all that different.

dumbest nigger of the year award
>>
>>83234812

Explain further.
>>
>>83234812
>>83234869

Found the DC friend
>>
>>83234843
It... Sounds like you'be got the two backwards. DC has way fewer omnipotent reality warmers than Marvel, and tends to be way more introspective.

Although I suppose the difference is that Marvel heroes tend to question themselves, while DC heroes explain their ideals to others.
>>
>>83234868
I've read all of the recommended Green Lantern stuff (outside of super recent issues and I loved it) so I guess I'm stuck with LoS then. Cosmic Marvel was some of the most enjoyment I've gotten out of something (in general across all mediums) I don't think I'll be able to match it ever
I
>>
Growing up I was DC (really just Batman) all the way because that was the only thing on TV.

Considering how much WB has dropped the ball and how solidly good the MCU is, I've switched over.

I also hate Superman.
>>
>>83234959
Omnipotent is the wrong word here I suppose. I mean super powerful flying bricks. Mary Sues, if you must.
>>
>>83234699
When you say "cosmic," do you mean stuff like Celestials and high-concept sci-fi like Silver Surfer, or space wars with lasers and aliens?
>>
>>83235014
>I've read all of the recommended Green Lantern stuff (outside of super recent issues and I loved it)
Did you read Omega Men?
Old group brought back to low sales and high acclaim, and Kyle Rayner dragged into it.
>>
>>83235030
>I also hate Superman.

Do you hate Snyder's Superman or in general?
I'm a Marvelfag and I find Supes being of my favorite heroes in general
>>
>>83234745
>>83234853
Now that's a spicy meatball.
>>
>>83235030
>moviefag
>batfag

people like you should be gassed and incinerated
>>
File: 1464353865373.jpg (33 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
1464353865373.jpg
33 KB, 900x720
>>83234920
>>
>>83235092
I mean anything that was on a giant req list made from here back in maybe 2012? It's been awhile but it had Annihilation, Beta Ray, Thanos, Silver Surfer stuff and more. A lot of the stuff on it was written by DnA
It even had a mediafire link to all of the recommended issues on it. I don't have the pic anymore because new PC

If there's stuff that the req left out that's good I'll take it

>>83235099
Nope but I'm gonna check it out now thanks m8
>>
>>83228750
I really liked the whole "Scott Lang hangs out with the Heroes for Hire"
>>
>>83235156
You're right, but he's not wrong.
Marvel's movies have been solid, and DC's haven't.
I wish it weren't that way, but it is.
>>
DC.

The only childhood Marvel cartoons i watched is X-men Evolution, X-men Animated series, and Spiderman Unlimited. While DC there were Superman animated, Batman animated, Justice League, Batman Beyond, Static Shock etc.

I only read DC, only because i started reading DC first. My favorite Marvel comics are Marvels and Moore's Miracleman. I may be biased but there are probably much more iconic DC comics.
>>
>>83235268
we're ignoring all the DC movies made pre-MCU, right?
>>
Another aspect as a DC fan:

I like that, even when DC is struggling, they always try weird stuff. I think of them as having an ideal version of what they want comics to be like: every story sells well, every comic is well-written to the point of being comparable to literature, there's a diverse range of genres and characters, and things are always both expanding yet connected. DC's experimentation and the comic market itself forces them to think "inside the box" when things don't go well, but nevertheless, in their heart, they'll always strive for their ideal version of comics. I respect the shit out of that.

Marvel, with MUCH more market share and arguably more freedom, could be making like 3 or 4 comics like Vision at any time. They could easily buy out some great writers and artists and create an insta-classic run at any given moment. But -- and maybe I'm listening to /co/ too much here -- it just seems like a rarity.
>>
>>83235118
Both really. I don't really like having a super hero being all powerful. I understand that the drama stems from personal faults rather than physical ones at that point, but Clark Kent is such a vanilla goody two shoes that there's really nothing of substance besides Kryptonite for the 3 millionth time.

Batman has massive mental problems, so his interactions with his villians are always closer to looking in a mirror rather than someone to punch.

>>83235156
I've never admitted otherwise faggot.
>>
>>83235156
>not liking Batman
I bet you thought cartoons were for babies too
>>
>>83235311
Ah okay fair enough. Just asking because Superman/Clark Kent reminds me a lot of Spider-man/Peter Parker
>>
>>83235311
biggest faggot of the year
>>
>>83235297
I was, I should have said that the RECENT movies have been that way.

Donner's Superman was one of the best things I've seen.
>>
>>83233658
>Being DCfag
>Knowing all this about Marvel
Undercover Marvel shill confirmed
>>
>>83228905
>same shit
Get out of here casual
>>
>>83235384
>thinking any of that is deeper than surface level shit

You would have been less obvious if you'd called out the guy who mentioned Druid and Darkhold, false fagger.
>>
>>83228051
Marvel characters felt more three-dimensional to me, like actual people with real feelings. I used to feel like DC's characters were flat in comparison; more archetypes fulfilling roles in a big play. Neither are really true because it depends on the writer.

Now I read writers and to a lesser extent characters: Spider-Man was my favorite a long time ago, Daredevil and Green Arrow are getting there but I'm toe-deep in their stories. Batman was always great, but I prefer Detective Bats and loathe Angry Bats - hard to get that balance right these days apparently.
>>
I can't get into the DC universe. I have read a lot of great DC stories but the universe they build through the various arcs of different characters just feels so empty.

I loved Countdown and even Final Crisis to some degree but after that, everything just felt like it didn't matter. After Nu52, the Justice League just doesn't seem like it matters anymore. Most of my favorite individual stories are from DC. I just don't like reading monthly DC comics.

When I read Marvel, even if the stories lack quality, everything feels a lot more connected. The mutants interact with the avengers who interact with the newcomers. I read comics for the connected universe and the history.
>>
File: deadpool variant.png (41 KB, 627x559) Image search: [Google]
deadpool variant.png
41 KB, 627x559
>>83234282
>Not just the SJW shit, but the "Anger fans sells comics" policy they're so fond of

This. It just seems as if DC is the more "professional" of the Big 2. Seeing the way that Marvel staff act online and in press releases as well as hearing about things like Marvel offering variant covers to retailers in exchange for torn-up copies of DC issues made me lose respect for them.
>>
>>83235569
Makes perfect sense to me. Why would retailers rip up comics that are selling? Why would anyone care that they are destroying DC comics that don't sale?
>>
>>83228051
Film: Marvel
Animation: DC
Video Games: Marvel
Comics: Neither
>>
>>83233637
That's the bias you are exposed to
Here in the 5+ comic shops we have in Vegas you ask around most of them got burn out on DC and their like "abusive parents" to the DC universe where it's going though a grinder in hopes in turns to sales.
In honesty that's both of them but we tend to play selectively based on either what we grew up with or what we like more.
>>
>>83235545
I've always felt the opposite of this, honestly. The good individual stories deepen my interest in the universe and make it seem more alive.

Team books or interactions leave no impact on me unless they're well-written. And DC, with some more frequency, has well-written team books given that they're normally rarer.
>>
>>83235645
>Withhold comics from potential buyers
>Rip their covers

Let's face it, comic shop employees are not known for professional decorum.
>>
>>83235569
Honestly Marvel has always been like that, you'll find major interviews in the 70s,80s and 90s that summarize they like messing with DC in a bad way
Back in 1990 some Marvel heads offered major comic deal incentives to some major retailers (back when comics were sold everywhere) if they agreed to send cases of broken VHS copies of the 89 Bat-man.
>>
>>83235569
>>83235996
I think this leads more to the effect of Marvel wanting to show their power in all this. They have ask as way back as the early 80s for destroyed copies of DC comics and merc.
It was really hellish in the early 90s when comics were in almost every store front and you hear weird ass offers like "will get you X number of mega foil edition, but only if you show proof of cancellation of this DC item"
It surprises me know it still there.
>>
>>83228051

It's ironic that Marvel came out on top for me because I had way more exposure to DC growing up, both from the countless cartoons and my mom's boyfriend letting me read his old Teen Titans and Batman collection.

That said, I think I tend to lean more toward the Merry Marvel Marching Society is because the characters seem more relatable. Not BETTER (or worse, for that matter), just more real. I was immediately drawn to Spider-Man because of his constant money/personal troubles and shit luck that mirrored my own. He used humor as a way to cope and so have I. Then there's Captain America, who gives me optimism even in the darkest of times when everything on the nightly news makes me want to put a gun in my mouth.

That said, all the SJW pandering and make-it-more-like-the-movies reboots are making my head spin. Can't wait until things go back to normal.
>>
Modern Marvel and DC don't give me what I want from Superhero comics.

And looking at my shelves the amount of past stuff is pretty even.

I am agnostic to characters / universe I just look for striking and great art and good action.
>>
>>83235569
For anyone wondering, this promo is literally in response to DC's ring promotion with Blackest Night.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23702
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2009/2009-11.html

It's kind of funny to think about. DC does this kind of nerdy thing (which, admittedly, is made to draw in the most autistic collectors of their readers), and Marvel's response is to just take a shit on it.
>>
>>83235834
Secondaries deserve to be killed.
>>
>>83233637
Never said I didn't read DC, but I never cared for them that much because of the reasons I gave. Spider-Man is my favorite character and what got me into super hero comics, so it really pisses me off what they have don to him. Their New 52 shit completely turned me off to them. Perhaps Rebirth will fix that, but I have my doubts and I don't know if I really even care anymore at this point.
>>
As another guy said earlier I really want to like Marvel. They have great characters and used to have great stories. When I say I hate Marvel I don't mean the universe of it's characters I mean the assholes in charge of turning the company into a gimmick factory

DC isn't much better, but any time they have made a decision that pisses me off I never felt like they did it out of malice more that they went in a misguided direction
>>
They both have their moments for me and depending the era I lean to one more than the other.

Although I have to say that DC really benefited from the Brit writers more than Marvel did and I feel like in this last decade they have been more creative and varied too.

I mean despite what people thought about New 52 and DCYou it gave us Animal Man, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Denon Knights, Prez, Omega Men.

Also DC did stuff like Vertigo, Wildstorm, and now it's doing Young Animal so they are willing to experiment

Marvel had more variety on the past especially with cosmic stuff but now it's just everything of the same, and that could not be more obvious with the comics with female leads of which I can only think of Black Widow and post-KSD Captain Marvel as being sifnificantly different.

I also like Morrison's brand of WTF and DC supploes that once in awhile, I hope he does more with Multiversity and the Gentry and all that shit.
>>
>>83234478
Spiderman is a fucking shit character and the only people who like Punisher have legitimate developmental deficiencies.
>>
File: 684073.jpg (197 KB, 600x944) Image search: [Google]
684073.jpg
197 KB, 600x944
GOAT
>>
>>83236393
You seeming not being aware of Marvel being experimental does not mean they were not.

DC has 100% been better about keeping stuff evergreen and keeping brands in print.
>>
>>83236405

I don't think Spider-Man is a shit character I just thinks he's become incredibly stale

Invincible is Spider-Man done right
>>
>>83236446
What experimental books has Marvel done? What genres does Marvel do besides broad sci-fi?
>>
>>83235307
>Marvel, with MUCH more market share

Marvel only got half the pie this year because DCYou failed. Rebirth will even this shit up again. Not completely but it will at least start to look like "The big 2" again
>>
>>83228051
I have no hate for either. I love both but I love DC more. My dad was a comic nerd and read Batman like crazy. I read a lot of his comics too and I have a few of my own. I read more DC than marvel too.

>character I'm attached to
Nightwing/Robin
He will always be 2nd best no matter what to Batman and that's how I feel.

The same goes for Deadpool. However, not like xDDD OMG DEADPOOL IS SO RANDUM! More like, he doesn't give a shit and knows when to do shit the right way and when he has to fix it he will.

the shadow is also one of my favourite heros. He's basically the reason Batman exists.

I hate fan fiction. But then again if something is redone AGAIN, as a new comic like all the Batman comics out, I guess you could say that's what I hate. It's not an on going comic. Like how Spiderman has been for 900+ Comics.

My only thing about character which they've done for TV specially Supergirl is, if you're going to write a character, PLEASE write them like they should be. Like Jimmy, come on, 1 he's white and a ginger, 2 he has no fucking confidence. That is not Jimmy. Hell, I know black guys who are mad about this.

DC is fine by me. As someone said all the multiverse shit. That is so god damn annoying. they say that Supergirl and normal everything else are 2 different earths? huh? the fuck? Marvel wouldn't do this.

Marvel is nice cause you can rely on someone to at least TRY and keep the characters the same. It's not all fan boys walking in the room saying "WHAT IF THIS HAPPENS TO BATMAN?" and it's a fucking story arc. No the WHAT IF? comics are a thing for a reason. They don't matter to the comics.

I would say that over all, DC will always have my attention but DC can write a nice story.

TBC
>>
File: Epic Illustrated 4.jpg (81 KB, 400x545) Image search: [Google]
Epic Illustrated 4.jpg
81 KB, 400x545
>>83236511
You should go learn yourself about the precursor to the Vertigo's of the world

Epic Comics an imprint of Marvel for allowing creators to do what they wanted.
>>
PREVIOULS ON /co/:
>media like Movies vs cartoons

The issue is that they don't know what they are doing. DC can make cartoons, but lately, they are shitting themselves when it comes to Movies. Marvel is given free reign over shit so they can write it AS they should.

DC can do better cartoons IMHO. They are about to release "The Killing Joke" which is amazing in general and it's Rated R which means they will do shit the right way.

>>83236469
I wouldn't say he's "stale" as much as the normies are clinging to him now and everyone who sees movies thinks they know comics and it annoys me when they've NEVER read a comic book.
>>
File: 616819.jpg (39 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
616819.jpg
39 KB, 400x600
>>83236549
Which not only featured work from Marvel creators but licensed work from around the globe.

(The Warren Ellis story they commissioned for one of the issues of this is really dumb)
>>
File: M0030001.jpg (494 KB, 1157x1600) Image search: [Google]
M0030001.jpg
494 KB, 1157x1600
>>83236605
All across the globe too, (fist time in the finished Moebius overseen color)
>>
>>83235645
The guy in my LCS didn’t do that because he said he would be wasting money for one Deadpool variant and that the 50 comics together were worth more.

And he was right because he eventually sold some of those comics in higher and lower prices (depending on the comic) especially when Blackest Night got more hype and I've been to other comic shops who still have that shitty Deadpool variant with prices like $120 and it's not even made by a popular artist I mean lol good luck selling that.
>>
>>83236602
Wait, DC has made movies? When?
>>
>>83236602
The Killing Joke. Wow, how long are they gonna beat that dead horse?
>>
>>83236657
this smartass

>>83236667
Show me where they've done anything with it before now.
>>
>>83228051

grew up reading more DC than marvel, when i was a kid i loved the x-men cartoons and that made me read a lot of x-men.

At the time i always felt like the x-men was a separate universe than everything else in marvel. In cartoons and and comics i felt like they rarely interacted with the Avengers and that part of marvel.

That being said, i love DC and love the x-men side of marvel, i have absolutely no interest in the Avengers or any of those characters.
>>
>>83236544
Okay, I'm trying to parse this. So you think that, if a writer writes for Detective Comics, it's fine, because that's the "real" Batman, but a book like TDKR or Legends of the Dark Knight is fanfiction?

And you dislike the concept of multiple universes because it introduces alternate versions of characters? Am I reading this right?
>>
>>83236774

I hope not because that's idiotic
>>
>>83235569
DC editors or higher ups also don't engage in shitty twitter fights with the fanbase or het autistic about Marvel films. You don't see Didio or Geoff Johns get into twitter fights with fans either like Brevoort and Quesada have.
>>
>>83236774
I realize I'm a bit all over the place anon and I sound a bit wonky but yes and no.

I've read and watched TDKR and I enjoyed it personally. I'm not saying it was bad, I'm saying comics in general when they have like Batman, Batman Inc, Batman detective and so on where they have like 10 different version of Batman.

Multiverses are annoying cause you can never keep up with how many universes there are in general in 1 general area.

the only multiverse I've ever really liked is Amalgom comics and we will more than likely never see that again. I would really love to see more Spiderboy.
>>
>>83236852
At least explain your reason why. Sitting there saying something is idiotic and not giving a reason, makes you look more idiotic than me saying it. So pick a side.
>>
>>83236923

Oh I'm not him. The stand alone stories from DC are great
>>
>>83228414

This kind of speaks to me.

I got into DC because I loved the Dark Knight movie, came out of the theater wanting more, so I picked up Batman the animated series, wanted more, so I branched out to Superman, and then Justice league, then DC original animated movies. Now I'm starting to pick up DC trades of whatever characters catch my fancy.

I'm actively trying to get into Marvel, but it's just not working. The cinematic universe really never hooked me, I liked Spider-Man and X-men as a kid, but they've aged like milk, and the current cartoons are pretty garbage. Also, I can't fucking stand SHIELD and the whole super spies/soldiers thing, it feels like they're shoehorned into every corner of Marvel now.

Still not giving up on finding something to like about Marvel though. Still like Spidey. And I'm curious about the Fantastic Four and Moon Knight.
>>
>>83236880
There are 52 local universes in DC.
>>
>>83228414
I was the same until I actually got into comics, Marvel has by far the strongest single era of books.

But there is good stuff everywhere and not that much of it and you can quickly read all the good stuff and then exit from both.
>>
>>83237060
i dont even know what that means any more
>>
>>83236700
They are always harping on it like it's the greatest thing ever. I guess that makes sense in a way because it is the only really memorable Batman story.
>>
>>83237114
>Marvel has by far the strongest single era of books

Please tell us what that is.
>>
I never got into DC that much. I've only read some Batman and Green Lantern books prior to N52. DC universe just seems really convoluted due to the multiple reboots and alternate universes. And I could never tell the Flashes apart, except for the OG one with the hat.

Marvel universe made more sense to me, and I like the sci-fi and cosmic stuff. I don't care much for X-Men though. I didn't like the 90's cartoon so I never read X comics.

I don't read either company's comics anymore. N52 killed my interest in going further into DC, and ANAD is pandering garbage that I refuse to support. I'm all for adding diversity but not in a way that shits on legacy characters like Marvel is doing.
>>
>>83237164
hail hydra
>>
>>83237164
to be honest anon, I've never had the chance of reading The Killing joke. I feel like such a lame ass for not but whatever.I may get around to it some day. I know the point of it, its suppose to explain a lot of shit as to why things are like Barbara being in a wheel chair and so on. I heard it's an amazing story all together.

I thought them killing Jason was one of those the better stories too?
>>
>>83237050
I don't understand how any one can feel this way, but I agree with you on SHIELD. I am so sick of that shit being pushed so hard. Wish they would go back to being in the background like they used to be.
>>
I haven't read comics since MoS (the past week I've been catching up on Nu52 because of rebirth) so my question is: Is Marvel as bad as people make it seem to be here?
Just from panel saves they seem to have gone overboard with political pushiness. Now to have a disclaimer I don't give a shit when a hero gives up the mantle to a woman or black dude all I care is if the stories coming from them justifies the change. So basically has Marvel given free reign to certain writers who are super liberal or are these panels taken out of context?

Second disclaimer I've been drinking so if you need me to clarify I will
>>
>>83237183
Late 70s Through the 80s

The bunch of time when Miller, Simonson, Chaykin shared and office and X-office was firing on all cylinders and Moon Knight was coming out and Epic was in full swing.
>>
File: Average Marvel Comic.jpg (372 KB, 1000x1537) Image search: [Google]
Average Marvel Comic.jpg
372 KB, 1000x1537
>>83237242
>>
Can we get some "Marvel recommendations for fans of DC book X" and Vice Versa going?

Like, what Marvel comic would you recommend to someone who likes Batman, or what DC book would you recommend to someone who likes Ghost Rider, ect.
>>
>>83237230
I actually forgot about that story and I own the trade. Guess that's what happens when you bring a character back from the dead for no reason.
>>
>>83236864
I think it's kind of weird that people think this "professionalism" is what makes DC closer to the fanbase.

Seems more like they're distancing themselves from it.
>>
File: MUH STEM p1.jpg (163 KB, 680x1039) Image search: [Google]
MUH STEM p1.jpg
163 KB, 680x1039
>>83237242
yes
>>
>>83237262
Right a single panel/page shows Marvel is at an all time high for pandering but I want to know if most issues are like this or if it's shit like that female Thor and co that are affected
>>
>>83237242
The average Marvel comic including the "SJW" outliers are about as bad as Nu52 Superman if I had to put it on a scale.
>>
File: MUH STEM p2.jpg (159 KB, 680x1111) Image search: [Google]
MUH STEM p2.jpg
159 KB, 680x1111
>>83237242
they are that bad
>>
>>83237322
Red Hood is a better comparison
>>
>>83237270
>Batman
Daredevil
Not a direct trade off because as a fan of both I don't believe they could be interchanged for their respective stories. However I think they are very good takes on loss of a parent(s) at a very young age
>>
>>83237298
How? DC actually communicates with their fans. Marvel talks down to them.

I don't see how not sitting around on twitter and calling Marvel a bunch of faggots while paying off companies to incinerate Marvel comics is distancing themselves from the fanbase.
>>
>>83237431
Both companies have a rather impressive history of talking down to fans in public venues.
>>
>>83237262
>>83237312
>>83237329
Right specific panels for specific comics show this but overall is what I'm looking for. If they're milking super-SJW with a couple of ongoings I don't give a shit. I'm more concerned if a majority of Marvel is like that

>>83237322
>>83237343
Guys they're both pretty bad
>>
File: 1461573997936.png (82 KB, 926x656) Image search: [Google]
1461573997936.png
82 KB, 926x656
>>83228051
Marvel is cultural self-flagellation
>>
File: 1462596985621.png (41 KB, 732x606) Image search: [Google]
1462596985621.png
41 KB, 732x606
>>83237464
>s...sure Marvel is bad, b...but both sides are bad, rite guize?
>>
>>83237519
Are you really trying to defend the initial launch of Supes and Red Hood? They're both fucking awful I honestly never see either of the two arcs defended here. Morrison's AC run for the first what 20 issues is great but Supes s/t is terrible. It's from the Silver Age but they tried to keep it serious.
>>
>>83237262
>oh god, this one page from the awful comic sums up exactly what Marvel is today
>Nevermind Ultimates
>Nevermind Contest of Champions
>Nevermind Spider-Man and Deadpool
>Nevermind Vision
>Nevermind Hyperion
>Nevermind Carnage

This would be like if someone assumed DC was shit because of a single page from a Harley Quinn comic, or better yet a page from Redhood and the Outlaws.
>>
>>83237163
It means that there is a jar, that the Monitors watched over before they died. It contains 52 Universes,but there are more beyond the jar.
Does this help at all?
>>
>>83228051
I hate Marvel with a passion but I don't give a fuck about DC, which is like to me it doesn't even exist.
I think that means that I like Marvel more.

The reason for this is, where I grew up, the local kiosk wasn't selling DC comics. That's when I had a natural healthy hobby for comics, and I only had Marvel comics available to buy. And Internet wasn't so widespread and popular then, didn't even know it existed.

Then, well, I grew up and grew out of them, moved on. Many years later, and that's when capeshit movies started becoming popular, I got a bad nostalgia case, and I try to start reading them again.
See, this wasn't a hobby for comics all anew, just nostalgia for Marvel but I hate what they have become.

Fun fact, haven't read a single issue of DC comics in my life. And I'm not interested in doing that either.
>>
File: 1445635037403.jpg (167 KB, 790x1200) Image search: [Google]
1445635037403.jpg
167 KB, 790x1200
>>83237601
>memepool
>>
I've honestly read little Marvel, but never had as much draw into their stories. I read a bit of Hulk years ago, Planet Hulk, WWH and Red Hulk and nothing about it drew me in outside of Planet Hulk being a legitimatley good story. I read Secret Invasion and Civil War and I enjoyed Marvel Zombies as a teen, but nothing they do tends to leave an impact and I think Marvel in general feels much more "casual" in their events and tone. The meaning behind their stories or characters just feels softer or something.

The lore and history behind the DC universe just feels more complete and meaninful, heroes represent ideals as people to strive to be. They're mythic and have this sense of greatness to them and their stories have a grand impact and their events usually have more impact on the universe.

Marvel movies are altogether as it stands now better though, outside of the Nolan trilogy. Despite some flaws in their films like Thor 2 and 2 out of 3 of the Iron Mans they manage to make movies that do the characters fairly decent justice and tell a good narrative and have built their world very well as far as film goes. So you get a real sense that we're working towards something. 2 out of 3 of the new X Men movies were really good 2. The newest one though was hot garbage.

DC movies just so far aren't as mass appeal, but we only have 2 DCEU movies to base it off of. I love love Man of Steel but I get why many dont and it has a good amount of flaws. BvS is alright, more flaws but some strong aspects as well. But they don't do Superman well at all. Not the character I look up to.

Oh and DC has always been better animated. I don't think there's ever been an era where Marvel had better animated work than DC.
>>
>>83237298
Not really, I've emailed and tweet them and they respond even to criticism but they don't respond to "FUCK YOU, YOU PISS OF SHIT" type of comments nor make passive agressive tweets or comments out of nowhere.
>>
>>83237312

The people who wrote Super Zero should sue
>>
>>83237675
Nice rebuttal you have there junior, I bet you're the kind of kid who says Superman is boring because he's too overpowered, huh?
>>
File: 1446261334480.jpg (859 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1446261334480.jpg
859 KB, 1988x3056
>>83237765
>>
>>83237648
What I mean anon is that at this point there's so many of them it's pointless
>>
>>83237790
what are you even talking about.
>>
>>83237439
Yeah but when it comes to current Marvel and DC, Marvel takes the cake.

I've been to cons too and the only time I saw Didio light up was when a SJW went crazy on him and even then he was polite to her. I've seen Quesada get into cringey shouting matches with people or make fun of their questions and Mark Waid is an asshole at panels even IRL.
>>
>>83237788
>oh god, this one page is so bad, all of Marvel is just like this!!
>but what about all the other comics that are on the comic line?
>they are all JUST like this ONE page!
That's why I don't read DC, because they are all just like New 52 Harley Quinn, and Starfire eating baking powder
>>
>>83237698
>The lore and history behind the DC universe just feels more complete and meaninful
I don't get how people can say this when they are constantly rebooting their comics.
>>
>>83237811
He is saying 52 as a number doesn't make any sense as an arbitrary thing. Especially when most of it all happens on one of them.
>>
File: 1464236889970.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1464236889970.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>83237844
>>
File: 1464227418524.jpg (113 KB, 986x553) Image search: [Google]
1464227418524.jpg
113 KB, 986x553
>>83237847
Funny, I don't see how anybody can like Marvel when everything just gets retconned away and ignored randomly.
>>
>>83237904
I'd rather them ignore shitty stories than reboot and delete the good with the bad.
>>
It is almost as if continuity doesn't really matter to really good stories.
>>
>>83237847
>constantly
Like twice? And the first time was in the 80's not to mention they even acknowledge previous continuity.

Also Marvel soft reboots all the time, hell Hawkeye is a completely different character from who he was a decade ago.
>>
>>83237890
But... people actually buy that shit?
>>
>>83237922
They got nothing good going on now though.
>>
>>83237922
Like One More Day?
>>
>>83237922
They ignored everything that made GotG good and allowed whatever Humphries did to Star-Lord to happen so fuck them
>>
>>83237847
Constantly? Like 5-6 years ago and like what? 20 years before that? Like yea they redo origins sometimes but actual reboots? Like 1 even in most people's heres lifetimes.
>>
File: 1464276537548.jpg (719 KB, 1192x1103) Image search: [Google]
1464276537548.jpg
719 KB, 1192x1103
>>83237937
They do.
>>
>>83237904
That's not a retcon, you gullible goon, that's the unenforced rule breaking spoiler image of Steve Rogers being mind controlled by a really evil telepath. Duh.
>>
>>83237948
Neither does DC.
>>83237952
I'd give anything for that shit to be gone.
>>
>>83237957
Guardians might as well have been rebooted at this point.
>>
>>83237811
>>83237852
for the most part yeah. There's so many things going on now it's just a big ball of wut
>>
>>83237960
>Like 1 even in most people's heres lifetimes
You have to be +18 to use this website.
>>
>>83237973
A retcon made to be retconned. Damn, Marvel is good at this.
>>
>>83237973
Most likely cosmic cube, Spencer hinted at Kobik too

>gullible goon
Lol I hope you don't talk like that IRL
>>
>>83237966
This panel seems like its straight out of /co/ though...

>people of different genders can be just friends
>>
File: shield-hydra.jpg (121 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
shield-hydra.jpg
121 KB, 480x640
>>83238002
You know like the last time they had HYDRA be in charge of everything.
>>
>>83238001
You'd have to be around 40 years old to have been reading comics during COIE.
>>
Marvel doesn’t need to reboot shit because most of their writers ignore continuity, even their own.
>>
>>83237966
You know, it's Patsy Walker, so I don't give a fuck.
Originally, hers was a comic marketed to girls.
Starting back in the 40s and spanned for decades, until someone re-invented her as Hellcat and that was the exception, and now it's back to being marketed to girls, which is normal.
Apparently girls got shit taste, today.
>>
>>83238050
>story will trump continuity
>>
>>83238047
>1986
>40 years old
>>
>>83237485
that is fucking depressing.
>>
>>83237981
I don't give a god damn about DC. I ignore it even exists.
I only care enough about Marvel to hate it.
>>
>>83237890
>>83237966
If I was to buy a Mainstream comic I would be more inclined to buy something like this just on the grounds that it has a style and a look that is not like all the rest of the stuff they publish that all bleeds together because it looks the same and so bland.
>>
>>83238047
Are you fucking retarded? COIE happened in like 1985 someone born in that year would be like 31

Pretty sure you weren't even alive back then.
>>
>>83238064
Were you reading comics at 1 year old?

I seriously doubt it.
>>
>>83238090
>I was reading comics in the womb

/tv/ is THIS stupid
>>
>>83238090
Somebody reading comics that year, would have to be at least 10 years old.
>>
File: CHEEKBONES.png (286 KB, 474x452) Image search: [Google]
CHEEKBONES.png
286 KB, 474x452
>>83238086
then you probably have some kind of brain damage, sport
>>
>>83238146
Or the alternative, most Marvel and DC comics are boring looking things that are not actually worth your time.
>>
File: EXZVk4h.png (3 MB, 1275x1101) Image search: [Google]
EXZVk4h.png
3 MB, 1275x1101
>>83238163
pretty kek
>>
>>83237485
People don't like being implicitly shamed for doing what is necessary while being offered impossible alternative if any at all.
>>
>>83238191
Your right it probably is just easier to ignore both of them completely.
>>
>>83238060
Doesn’t mean they didn’t acknowledge continuity because they still acknowledged it in their comics it's just that they weren’t beholden to it in a strict way.

Like you didn't need to read Justice League in Azarello's Wonder Woman even though they mention her being on it also the main DC comics continuity didn’t matter in Demon Knights and All Star Western or Prez.

It's not like Bendis using a character and forgetting a major development with said character last time they were used.
>>
>>83238111
>>83238119

Meant to reply to >>83238001 not >>83238047
>>
>>83238239
You're a fan of the Punisher, I take it?
>>
Marvel has a sliding timeline which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
>>
>>83238282
I miss when they used to use (* see ASM#155) so you knew that every story you read matters.
>>
>>83238347
Better than constant reboots.
>>
>>83238363
List for me all the DC reboots pls
>>
>>83228051

I like both, but I prefer Marvel. Outside of Superman and Batman, none of DC's characters grab me that much, except for the novelty of Aquaman.

I think Marvel in general has way more creative ideas for powers/characters. DC has characters like Superman who can pretty much do anything, characters like Green Lantern who can do anything with green light. That could be interesting with good writers,but most of the time it ends up as boring. In contrast, Hulk's powers are directly connected to the psychology of the character, which makes him interesting. I also really enjoyed Nico Minoru's "staff of one" being never able to cast the same spell twice, opening up lots of possibilities.

And while DC pretty much has only two characters (technically three, but I like Aquaman mainly for the novelty of him being notorious as a lame hero) that I care about, Marvel has fucktons of characters I find interesting. Doctor Strange, Hulk, Nightcrawler and most of the X-Men, the Runaways, Spider-Man, Deadpool, Punisher, Thor, Fantastic Four, etc.
>>
>>83238347
They both have one.
>>
I think the most telling thing about the quality of both companies is the fact that people are only bringing up the garbage of the current comics because there are very few quality things coming out
>>
File: 1460133229097.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1460133229097.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
DC by a huge amount.

Better mythos, characters and legacy. When I read DC, I feel the interconnectedness more than marvel. Plus I fucking love the vertigo connections.

Even though it only happened for about six panels across the entire run, just thinking about the few times Martian Manhunter, Superman etc etc appeared in Sandman makes me giddy.

Don't get me wrong, I love spider-man as much as anyone else, and the X-men are wonderful to read, but marvel has always just felt...off..to me, I guess.

Everything feels forced and everything is either a cash grab or something to sell toys.

I guess that's why marvel is doing better than DC. They sell to 'normies', whereas DC bites the bullet and respects their readership more, even though it hurts their sales.

See rebirth vs civil war 2.

As a side note, two of my top five favourite comic characters are marvel. Hal > Supes> Spidey > Zatanna > Magneto.
>>
>>83238387
Crisis
Zero Hour
Flashpoint
New 52
Convergence
Rebirth
Unnamed Reboot 10 years from now
>>
>>83238409
We're mostly talking about how bad Marvel is, since they've never published a good book at all.

DC, however, just finished All-Star Western and Omega Men, and Rebirth is getting a ton of praise.
>>
File: 1455760603984.jpg (4 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
1455760603984.jpg
4 KB, 299x168
>>83238445
your google search served you poorly
>>
>>83238438
Subtle DC shill
>>83238409
This. The late 60s, 70s and 80s are god tier stories.
>>
File: confused-computer-user.jpg (29 KB, 750x420) Image search: [Google]
confused-computer-user.jpg
29 KB, 750x420
>>83238445

wut
>>
File: 1461187554435.jpg (26 KB, 498x412) Image search: [Google]
1461187554435.jpg
26 KB, 498x412
>>83238496
>Subtle DC shill

What the fuck are you smoking?

Do you even know what the thread is about?

Of course I'm gonna pick one over the other.

unsubtle asscreamed marveldrone
>>
>>83228051
When I started to get into comics, I was mostly looking to start with seminal "graphic novels" (aka graphic novels and trades).

Most of the ones that popped up in the big 2 were from DC. TDKR, Batman: Year One, Final Crisis, ASS, etc.

I think the best DC trades feel like singular novels, while a lot Marvel trades feel like a collection of monthly releases. I still read Marvel of course, but this made it a bit easier to dive into DC
>>
>>83238474
Post something good then?
>>
>>83238474
>Rebirth is getting a ton of praise
>NOT EVEN OUT YET
wow
>>
File: 1463193963865.jpg (9 KB, 296x213) Image search: [Google]
1463193963865.jpg
9 KB, 296x213
>>83238579
>NOT EVEN OUT YET

Is this bait?

I've literally got the book in my hands right now.
>>
>>83238579
>rebirth
>not even out yet

marveldrones are this retarded
>>
>>83238579
hail hydra
>>
>>83238526
>being this mad that he likes the inferior company
el o el
>>
does Disney pay people to slide forums making dropping absurd claims or something? Because if not there has been an absolutely staggering amount of ignorance and self-delusion on display ITT.
>>
File: 1462848273352.jpg (421 KB, 1180x772) Image search: [Google]
1462848273352.jpg
421 KB, 1180x772
>>83238658
how can the company making all the good books be inferior to the one publishing books like this?
>>
File: 1459928355239.jpg (102 KB, 916x690) Image search: [Google]
1459928355239.jpg
102 KB, 916x690
>>83238658
oh you marveldrones never fail to make me laugh
>>
>>83238665
Only if Warner Bros. does the same.
>>
>>83228051
Yes, because there's only the two companies printing comics.

I'm currently enjoying Valiants "Bloodshot: reborn" immensly, good art, fun romp.
"Injection" by Warren Ellis from Image is also highly recommendable.
"Sillage" from Delcourt, by Jean-David Morvan and Philippe Buchet is solid sci-fi, it's been printed in the US, but has been censored. Thankfully I'm not in the US.

It's a big world out there, do expand your horizons?
>>
File: companywars.jpg (251 KB, 471x500) Image search: [Google]
companywars.jpg
251 KB, 471x500
>>
>>83238704
Speaking of which, are the new Valiant comics a continuation of the ones from the 90s or did they pull a DC and reboot everything?
>>
>>83238716
hail hydra and paying people to destroy DC books makes it pretty clear that's untrue m80
>>
>>83238735
They rebooted everything, but for the most part the current comics are better than the old ones.
>>
>>83238658
I have to ask, are all god damn Marvel faggots this god damn driven by their comics? Neither company is super fantastic 100% amazing fun time show! They both have their good and they both have their bad. Why is it so god damn hard to admit this? I like both, yes, I hold a mantle for DC more but that doesn't mean I don't respect Marvel too. Grow up already and stop acting like your favorite comic book franchise is best. You're acting like a based brony. Do you want to be known as that? No. No one here does.

If you enjoy something, good for you, stop being a jerk off and let people enjoy things they like

>STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!
are you 12?
>>
>>83238735
"Bloodshot" is a continuation, I haven't really looked at the other Valiant comics for a while.
>>
>>83238777
The only people who care enough to defend Marvel are lifers willing to read literally anything or moviefags who don't actually read comics.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 58

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.