[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: isabelle.png (22 KB, 215x194) Image search: [Google]
isabelle.png
22 KB, 215x194
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I might as well try.

What do you do if you really want to make a comic but can't draw to save your life? I am a writer and I am fully willing to write out a script for a comic series, but I have no idea what I would do if I wanted it to be illustrated. How would I be able to find someone willing to draw it, and what kind of money would I have to shell out in order to do it?
>>
Find artists who are willing to do the work and in the style you want. Ask them their rates, and go from there.

There's no set dollar amount since the type of work involved will always change the value.

Simple as that, really.
>>
>>83250658
>>83250712
To expand on that, one place to look for artists is on Upwork. Artists will set their own prices or let you work with them to determine a price.
>>
>>83250658
>What do you do if you really want to make a comic but can't draw to save your life?
>How would I be able to find someone willing to draw it, and what kind of money would I have to shell out in order to do it
The first step is accepting the fact that unless you are the upper .00008% of talented writers, the artist is far more important in the affair, and likely knows it. After page rate costs, the only way you'll make more than them in a property you own and self publish is in margin, which is to say you likely won't unless you make the next casual-appealing indie smash hit.

Basically, the fate of the indie writer is to hand money over to an artist and shoulder debt before moving on to something else. But that's passion projects for you.
>>
>>83250658
Luther Strode was the result of a writer contacting an artist he liked on deviantArt.

If you have faith in your project you can handle hearing "no," "no," "I'm busy" and every variant repeatedly.
>>
Or you can just say, "Fuck it," and draw it yourself anyways. Look at shit like Achewood. Or Dinosaur Comics. You think people read it because of the art?
>>
>>83250658
Draw the comic as well as you can, and give your crap to a good artist. Say "draw this only better". Pay them.

You're done.
>>
>>83251212
That doesn't sound like a very good idea because you're basically just stifling the artist's creativity and not letting them have any input. I doubt many artists would be cool with that.
>>
>>83251991
If you're not telling the artist to draw, what exactly is your job as a writer?
>>
>>83251187
Like "It Hurts", the art is bad but the story is so funny and charming I couldn't care
>>
File: progress.jpg (435 KB, 920x598) Image search: [Google]
progress.jpg
435 KB, 920x598
>What do you do if you really want to make a comic but can't draw to save your life?
A) Go the XKCD route and draw stick figures like a fucking shithead.
B) lrn2draw. Look at pic related. You can start out shit and progressively get better in the span of a few months.
>>
>>83252787
> don't tell anyone how many years elapsed between the rows

you're better than this
>>
>>83252546
An artist and writer should work together, and the artist should be free to pitch ideas or offer some artistic license.
>>
>>83252546
To write. The artist uses words to make notes of the atmosphere and describes what is needed to be seen. The artist is in charge of composition. It's like expecting a Hollywood script writer to tell the director or cinematographer how to stage a shot.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.