[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://strawpoll.me/6038447
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr.png (103 KB, 186x321) Image search: [Google]
tumblr.png
103 KB, 186x321
http://strawpoll.me/6038447
>>
Why do you give this book so much power?
>>
an exhibit for tourists that nobody can get too close to?
>>
Great story! "Squirrel Girl" grabbed me on page one and held me in its embrace. The first act builds to a sudden climax that spins off into a superb weave of plot and subplot. Sublime revelations of deep character. Amazing insight into this society. Made me laugh, made me cry. Drove to an Act Two climax so moving that I thought the story was over. And yet, out of the ashes of the second act, this writer created a third act of such power, such beauty, such magnificence I'm writing this report from the floor. "Squirrel Girl" is truely to be considered a master piece of modern storytelling.
>>
"Dat ass" is nowhere to be found in her comics, despite her being praised for it.
>>
File: tumblr_nm0uvuw9Om1tcg2pqo2_1280.jpg (202 KB, 878x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nm0uvuw9Om1tcg2pqo2_1280.jpg
202 KB, 878x600
The main issues with Squirrel Girl as it is now are multiple, but I'll give my views because they were asked. The first issue, I could tolerate. Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics shows he really does work better in smaller doses, but the first comic was tolerable. SG is street level, she's a bit genre savvy, but she's ultimately not the worst thing. She fights Kraven and brings up how many stronger monsters exist in the Marvel World, and that scene is probably the best part of the whole issue. If that was how things were going forth, I'd call SG benign but acceptable for its target audience.

But no.

SG's design and illustrator was chosen over something by Gurihiru. Who did Power Pack and a bunch of other stuff and would've made for an amazingly cute comic that could ascend its target audience and be enjoyed despite the writing by others. But we didn't get that. We got a SG designed to literally not be found attractive or fap bait. Which is fucked; because people can fap to anything and it'd be better to have a character who is attractive on some level aesthetially rather than the shit we got. And I could give it a pass even still, but the artist cannot maintain anatomy.

(cont.)
>>
>>77550474
(cont)

And it isn't cartoony enough in its physics to get away with that. SG's face is drawn on, there's no anatomy to it. And that goes for pretty much everyone in the comic. There's no sense of depth to the face. It isn't a skull, it is a mask with something painted on it to fit an angle. And that doesn't allow for creating something you can really emote with as a reader. It is uncanny on some level. Doesn't help that the artist had to redesign the black chick because people thought she trans due to the mannish design; which the artist did not solve and actually got kinda reductive on black trans people about but that's an issue nobody really brings up because Marvel's in that camp and people would rather take what they could get as tribalists than strive for substance.

The story and writing falls apart after the first issue and Ryan North becomes something of a prick about things. The commentary becomes boring and bad, and the best you can hope for are small in-jokes. I liked "Social Injustice Club" next to the "Social Justice Club" at the start of issue 2. That should not have been the highlight of the issue. It was. And things just got worse from there on out.

And it sucks. Because honestly if they had a more comedic writer it could be "okay" with the art it has as a comedy series. Or if it had a better artist, it could be "okay" as a SG series. But as it stands now, it is kind of at a slack on both ends. And people praise it and hate on it in spades, but not enough to get anything fixed or changed. Taking SG beyond street levels made her annoying as shit.
>>
>>77547375
Which Mona Lisa? And Squirrel Girl as a whole, or the new book?
>>
>>77550683
OP here. I was referring to the newest book, which was quite controversial. I personally like it, but seems like I stand alone with that.
>>
>>77550474
>>77550505
these are what she should look like
>>
File: 1423523271877.png (92 KB, 241x226) Image search: [Google]
1423523271877.png
92 KB, 241x226
At this point Steve Dillon would honestly draw a cuter Doreen than Henderson. I'm not even joking. That's the worst part of this whole thing. Squirrel Girl is supposed to be cute. She neither looks nor acts cute in USG. Everything she did before, from effortlessly beating the most powerful villains to a filibuster on why gritty comics suck, she could do and say because she was cute, she was funny, and it was all in good fun with no spite behind it.

Tumblr Squirrel Girl has none of that. She's ugly, she's obnoxious, and the staff behind her solo have an utter disdain for everyone who liked squirrel Girl before the new series came out.
>>
>>77551617
>he's ugly, she's obnoxious, and the staff behind her solo have an utter disdain for everyone who liked squirrel Girl before the new series came out.

Sounds like they know their audience perfectly
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.