[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DOOM PATROL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 07-08-2006 10.jpg (230 KB, 887x683) Image search: [Google]
07-08-2006 10.jpg
230 KB, 887x683
I really love the Morrison Doom Patrol, but I'd like for a slightly less meta take on the characters.

However, other than the original series, I've heard the other Doom Patrol runs are kind of shitty. Can anybody tell me why they're considered bad?
>>
Only morrisonfags shit on other runs. All runs excepting Kupperberg and Byrne are okay-good
>>
>>77493780
Kupperberg: fucker wanted to write X-Men. Avoid.

Pollack: actually pretty amazing, third best run. Bear in mind it's only a little bit less meta than Morrison, though, and that a lot of things is a result of editorial mandate hence it's tedious at times (not much more tedious than Morrison though).

Arcudi: too short, didn't like the corporate-funded angle myself. Decent, but among the worse runs, his BPRD is miles better at exploring similar themes and team dynamic.

Byrne: why isn't Byrne in jail yet. Avoid.

Giffen: didn't like it, first arc was pretty great but then he started using Morrison's characters out of blue while having no idea what made people like them and it became a mess. If you like Giffen's other work you'll probably enjoy most of it a lot, regardless.

There's a short DP arc in Johns' New 52 JL too.

>>77493811
I've never seen any run shat on apart from these, if we don't count people who never read any single of them anyway and just whine that Coagula exists.
>>
The v1 stuff holds up pretty decently too
>>
>>77496450
You forgot Drake's run
>>
>>77496450
I want to know about Byrne's run.
>>
>>77496876
That's because OP already covered that, and it's a good run.
>>
>>77496898
It's pretty much Fantastic Four, sort of a Not-Quite Reboot because everybody was being rebooted at the time.

Oh and Robotman kisses a little girl because Byrne.
>>
>>77496954
Actually, little girl forced herself on Robotman. And that little girl was meant to be Rita. And Byrne thought it's amazing and everything before his run, including some parts of Drake original, were not muh.

Byrne isn't the only person in the industry whose work is infused with their fetishes - after all Big Barda is ultimately just "that turns Kirby on: the character", and let's not even get started on Wondy - but holy shit he sure is the among the sleaziest about it.

>>77496795
Drake's run is really fun though personally I feel Mento was a dumb addition and it's horrible the adaptation which the most people know features him (as well as suddenly-sad-and-not-talkative Larry and "Ben Grimm but dumb" Cliff). Some people don't like Rita and find her to not quite fit the team which does have some merit - but I love Giffen's characterization of her myself and her New 52 powerset is pretty interesting so I don't think she's a bad character (both Coagula and Jane are better token female members for the most part, but still).
>>
>>77493780
>meta

Stop using words you don't know the meaning of. In fact, just stop using prefixes as words period.
>>
>>77493780
The problem with DP is that unless they'd go for full Morrison/Pollack weirdness with art/philosophy/occultism references and meta narrative, people would bitch it's too much like FF/X-Men, most likely - no ongoing after those two did particularly well. It might be a bit of a problem, but simultaneously it gives the Patrol a more unique niche among DC's teams and you still have Metal Men, Challengers of the Unknown or Adam Strange for silver age science adventures if such a need arises.

But then there's such an option as too much of a good thing, I'm glad that Gerard Way pitch won't lead to anything.

Also, read Pollack's run. I'm not a fan of her take on Cliff (but it's not entirely her fault, the editorial decision was that the book has to feature him), but she wrote the best Chief and Coagula is pretty great too.
also, rip Tungsten
>>
>>77493780
Because they try to be Morrison and fail.
>>
>>77496898
Byrne was PISSED AS FUCK at Morrison for turning a Silver Age comic into an artsy fartsy "mature" book, so he basically just said "lol never happened doom patrol is still the silver age version lol".
>>
File: mallah01.jpg (139 KB, 500x507) Image search: [Google]
mallah01.jpg
139 KB, 500x507
>>77497151
>except Rita is a teen girl because that turns me on

>>77497143
Only the final arc of Giffen's run with Somebody (that was a shit development btw) can be really described this way, Pollack's was its own thing, Giffen and Arcudi were standard ok superhero stuff, Byrne was anything but that but then we already came to an agreement it's shit anyway.

Also, I find it sad Brain and Mallah rarely show up nowadays, they were great in all runs they've showed up in.
>>
>>77497195
Pollack is the worst offender because it runs directly after Morrison's arc and references and fucking retcons a lot of the shit Morrison did.
>>
>>77497151
what a fucking faggot
>>
>>77497223
>fucking retcons a lot of the shit Morrison did.
I want to add that Byrne's only good contribution to the DP is the fact that all version of the DP are canon no matter how they contradict each other.
So pollack didn't retocon anything if you think this way.
>>
>>77497067
>rita

Yeah, exactly how does Elastigirl fit into a group of deformed freaks?

>>77497223
Pollack is the one that made it all about sexuality and shit, right?
>>
>>77497223
Bear in mind Pollack didn't want to use Cliff as said above and most retcons are related to him; also, Morrison asked DC to not use some of his characters (Jane, Flex, Danny, iirc Brotherhood of Dada too despite the ending of the second arc). Blame DC editorial, partially for wanting to drag it on because Morrison's run sold well, partially for weird decisions regarding the roster.

This being said, Pollack did seem to have a weird vendetta against Jane, but then Morrison himself said he isn't happy with her backstory (event shit + rape).

>>77497247
Wasn't that a thing from Giffen's run, established only to fix Byrne's mess at that?
>>
>>77497195
>Brain and Mallah rarely show up nowadays

They were in B&tB a bunch, and they were some of the main antagonists of Young Justice.
>>
>>77497253
Pollack made it all about Jewish mysticism, but there was an arc with period blood flood (sic). Also one of the characters was trans but it wasn't much of a problem and technically did fit with the team's general themes (I found that Robotman scene where he's suddenly wildly transphobic to be pretty cringey though, like a strawman mspaint comic).

>>77497258
YJ and TT takes on any given DP character were shit, BatB DP episode was wonderful.
>>
>>77497258
In the comics they only showed up like twice within the last decade, before flashpoint in that arc with prison planet where Grodd killed them and in Animal Man in New 52, but only in Rotworld so it doesn't count.
>>
>>77497255
>Blame DC editorial
No, it's the writer that fucked up and even if the writer is forced to do some really stupid shit but still agree to do them then the writer is at fault. Furthermore I'm positive they could've used a different guy as Robotman instead of Cliff anyway.
>>
>>77497284
There was that mini that that had two stories and one was Robotman done by Kindt.
>>
>>77497285
Golden age Robotman could work, actually, yeah. That or just use another robot guy altogether, Morrison's run established Magnus is on good terms with the Patrol so slapping any given robot/cyborg on team sand saying Magnus told him to get help there wouldn't be much of a stretch.
>>
>>77497270
YJ's Brain was good, but yeah, their Mallah was weak. I think they were limited with VAs, since people like Ultra-Humanite and Atomic Skull don't talk either.

The TT one... eh, it's okay.
>>
>>77497285
Pollack wanted Brother Power allegedly
>>
>>77497311
TT's Brain had amazing voice, at least.

The Patrol was as shitty as can be though.
>Mento leads
>Larry and Cliff listen to him
>shitty outfits
>Larry is meant to just be dude Raven because muh team parallels
>>
>>77497151
>>77497242
>>77497195
Byrne is legit autistic.
>>
>>77497418
He most likely is, considering how often he pays attention to very weird detail.

Also, more on topic:
Morrison = Drake > Pollack = Giffen (both are good but would be better without specific characters) > Arcudi >>> literal shit = Kupperberg >>> Byrne
>>
>>77497418
He is /co/ before /co/ existed.
Hating Byrne is like hating yourself, so pretty much, yeah.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.